New liquor rules

SusieM

Again for clarification - They do empty the mini-bar(in our case, we asked on day 1 and it was done on day 2), but as Rev said, it is checked and restocked and locked the last evening.This is not what happened to us, as this was day 5 of the first of a B2B2B. I believe that the stocker did not know that the contents had been emptied because I understand the lack of communication on X and RCL. What I don't understand is why mini-bar staffers are allowed to go through our cabinets and closets. The next thing you know, the dishwashers can chack cabins for "silverware" missing from the buffet or laundry personnel are allowed access to monitor "linens".

tarps - NCL is checking all incoming luggage for liquids very effectively.

Although this happened on RCL,s Mariner, and having sailed X and RCL for over 20 cruises I just wanted X cruisers to know what could happen, as the parent company is RCL.

Out of many posts.........there is only one that had a problem.

The subject of liquor............is strickly a matter of profit to the company,

and now there is the threat of simply "not letting a passenger with liquor found in suitcases or other belongings" to board.

When I hear of serious issues with this..........I'm off to be a member of a different cruise line.

Act responsibly......and the cruise company will treat you with respect.

Rick

What really irked me was that on the 2nd cruise, when the cabin stewardess introduced herself, we told her exactly what happened on the first cruise and to please instruct bar personnel to empty our fridge and that we didn't want them back in the cabin since they had no reason to be in our cabin. She did so by phone in front of us and made herself very clear. A few days later I was taking a nap, here they come and said they would be back when I was out of the cabin. I said no they wouldn't asked them in, showed them the empty minibar and told them to please not come back.

I had complained to GR on the first cruise about them rifling thru our things. I was told that the reason they are not allowing alcohol in the cabin is because they've had problems with people consuming too much. Of course in the meantime they stock the minibar as often as you ask them to. Wish I would have had the presence of mind to point that out.

I have no problem with them having taken the liquor bottles because that's the chance you take, but to go thru our things just isn't right in my opinion. We also had a missing $100 chip which would have never come up but since someone had gone thru our drawers you do think. Our cabin attendant said that if they get caught going into anything it's automatic dismissal. He was horrified because he obviously didn't want us to think that he turned us in because that would be one low tip indeed. So, if they aren't allowed to get into anything, why bar staff. The bar staff does go around in twos which I think is a good policy.

I did start a thread on this on RCL and of course one person had to point out that since we broke the rules, why are we complaining that RCL broke a rule. Because I don't believe in infringement of privacy. :p

I think the missing $100 chip is more evidence that what happened here was not some new ship policy but rather just plain theft of the booze. I bet it ended up in a crew cabin. The letter was left to throw you off and make it appear legit.

If it were a regular occurrence, we would hear a lot more about it. The lesson is a good one - treat your booze and all valuables carefully and lock them in a suitcase if you want to be sure they are there when you return.

Actually we had our Mt Dew and Diet Pepsi (the soda--in cans) removed from the minibar on day three of our Millennium cruise last October (but the wine was left alone). I went down to guest services and was given some story about just getting around to checking the mini-bar so they didn't know it was ours--etc. Several hours later the Mt Dew returned and the Mt Dew crisis was over.

We always show our room steward that we have had the mini-bar emprtied and that we will not be using it.

Never has happened to myself but if it did I would thank the person who went through my luggage to take my alcohol out because on a 14 night cruise for 2, in a sky suite he saved me at least $300 in tips and I would just buy a bottle at the first port and pour it in a water bottle and bring it on.

Thank you Celebrity for going through my luggage in an attempt to expand your profits and saving me money in the long run.

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that you would stiff the hard-working men and women who had absolutely nothing to do with either making or enforcing the rules simply because you wanted to violate CLEAR rules and the cruise line (not even the individuals who would have been the recipients of your tips) didn't just allow you? Wow. WOW!!! I am speechless!

Does anyone have a link to a place where we can order a bottle of vodka delivered to our stateroom upon sailing? I have looked at the Celebrity gift list and it only gives an option for wine! It seems like a much easier solution than hiding it in our suitcases and chancing breakage or confiscation.

I have just received my travel documents for my upcoming Millennium cruise. Despite what is being said about bringing on 2 bottles of wine there is no change in policy. It states that NO liquor can be brought on board. Also check other bottles eg mouth wash water soft drinks etc. Also says that you can be disembarked if you do not adhere to the policy.

Sue

I have just received my travel documents for my upcoming Millennium cruise. Despite what is being said about bringing on 2 bottles of wine there is no change in policy. It states that NO liquor can be brought on board. Also check other bottles eg mouth wash water soft drinks etc. Also says that you can be disembarked if you do not adhere to the policy.

Sue

Sue,

The cruise docs are out-of-date. See message #8 in this thread.

[quote name='Rev22:17']salty dingo,
By way of clarification, they don't empty the minibar. Rather, they lock the minibar after they restock it during turndown on the last evening because they need to process the charges to your shipboard account before you leave the ship.
Norm.[/quote]
....does it include spirits, and what are the charges. Clearly X encourages drinking in your cabin, just as long as they make a profit out of it.

I see there still is no consensus her as to whether passengers can get away with bringing a bottle of booze on board. My plan is to buy a bottle of Bacardi when we get to the Port of Miami tomorrow, stuff it in my carry-on bag and take it on to the Century. What are my odds of getting busted (!!!)

[quote name='firsttimecruiserHI']Never has happened to myself but if it did I would thank the person who went through my luggage to take my alcohol out because on a 14 night cruise for 2, in a sky suite he saved me at least $300 in tips and I would just buy a bottle at the first port and pour it in a water bottle and bring it on.
Thank you Celebrity for going through my luggage in an attempt to expand your profits and saving me money in the long run.[/quote]
Lowkeycruiser, I think this is the probably the best way to stop them confiscating your bacardi and one that I sure will use if they try it tomorrow.

RCCL apparently has a "new policy" effective July 2006 that prohibits bringing alcohol on-board. However, we are also curious to know whether this is simply a scare tactic or if they are enforcing it. We have been cruising for years. 8 to 10 years ago they were much more strict than they have been in recent years. We even brought liquor onboard from the islands in large water bottles and they were never confiscated. Can anyone comment on their experiences with RCCL?

This kind of crap of removing personal items from your cabin and rules that sound like they've been worded by prison guards is what is turning us off cruising. In the past month we've cancelled two cruises and turned them into land trips. I would have also done it with Hawaii if it weren't for my parents going with us. Being treated as a child or criminal is not my idea of spending a vacation.

[quote name='LowkeyCruiser']I see there still is no consensus her as to whether passengers can get away with bringing a bottle of booze on board. My plan is to buy a bottle of Bacardi when we get to the Port of Miami tomorrow, stuff it in my carry-on bag and take it on to the Century. What are my odds of getting busted (!!!)[/QUOTE]
Carry it on, you can expect to get it back at the end of the cruise: they use the same type of X Ray machines the airport uses: put it in your luggage it is a 50/50 shot as to whether it gets through or not. NMNita

[quote name='LowkeyCruiser']I see there still is no consensus her as to whether passengers can get away with bringing a bottle of booze on board. My plan is to buy a bottle of Bacardi when we get to the Port of Miami tomorrow, stuff it in my carry-on bag and take it on to the Century. What are my odds of getting busted (!!!)[/QUOTE]
Carry it on, you can expect to get it back at the end of the cruise: they use the same type of X Ray machines the airport uses: put it in your luggage it is a 50/50 shot as to whether it gets through. NMNita

[quote name='tarps']There are approx. 6000 pieces of luggage to be boarded and delivered to staterooms all in a matter of a few hours...... they can't be inspecting every bag for water bottles, etc. What a waste of manpower! And also a good way to annoy passengers and ensure they won't be returning clients.[/QUOTE]
what do you mean, annoying passengers? What is it some of you don't get about the rules and policies of the cruise lines? I do agree, probably not every pience is closely inspected, but more is than you may realize. If you want to smuggle it on, go ahead, you might be successful, but if you are not you have no business saying "you are being annoyed" You know before you cruise the ship lines policy; don't book if you don't like it. NMnita

Archived