Celebrity Secrets they usually don't tell you about

dmarch@islc.net

so many times you're staring at the dinner menu having a hard time deciding....

Don't decide!

Get BOTH! ;)

We ususally get an extra appetizer or two and share them and then always get an extra entree to split as we don't eat potatoes or bread.

all the desserts look good? get an extra one or two

after all....you ARE on vacation and can diet and do without at home!

If you're a big reader' date=' here's a hint. At the library there is a "leave one take one" shelf. Drop off any books you've finished during your trip and pick up something new.[/quote']

Thanks - that is a good one to know.

This isn't specific to this ship but one of things we always do is take along insulated coffee mugs (i.e., travel mugs). We even take them to breakfast and fill them up because they keep the coffee hot just in case we linger awhile - and they're great for iced tea while sitting by the pool. People kept asking where we got them on our last cruise, so I'm sort of surprised the gift shop doesn't sell them!

Re the Persian Gardens: I've not yet been on the Summit (we go 12/26 - hooray!!), but just returned from 2 weeks on the Quest where there's a similar but smaller space. The passes for this area are limited, so if you want one, you need to get to the spa as soon as you board and sign up. If you like thallasotherapy (I am not a lover of hot tubs regardless of what they're called), you will want to do this. It's also a very calm area simply because it's away from the bustling crowd and numbers are limited.

• 2 months later...
This isn't specific to this ship but one of things we always do is take along insulated coffee mugs (i.e., travel mugs). We even take them to breakfast and fill them up because they keep the coffee hot just in case we linger awhile - and they're great for iced tea while sitting by the pool. People kept asking where we got them on our last cruise, so I'm sort of surprised the gift shop doesn't sell them!

Re the Persian Gardens: I've not yet been on the Summit (we go 12/26 - hooray!!), but just returned from 2 weeks on the Quest where there's a similar but smaller space. The passes for this area are limited, so if you want one, you need to get to the spa as soon as you board and sign up. If you like thallasotherapy (I am not a lover of hot tubs regardless of what they're called), you will want to do this. It's also a very calm area simply because it's away from the bustling crowd and numbers are limited.

Just off the Summit Trans-Atlantic and they were selling insulated mugs onboard.

Did ypu know that the members of the staff that you name in your compliments (we never have complaints) are given "brownie points" which add up to extra days off, good assignments and promotions? My DH puts a piece of the stationery from the cabin in his card case with his ship card and when we meet someone who is especially nice he makes sure to write the name down. At the end of the cruise we sit down at breakfast on our veranda and go over the list. I then go to the computer lab and type in a page or so of comments naming all the folks who were so wonderful to us. (There were a bunch of people in the lab doing the same thing). I then print a copy to put with our comment card and a copy to take home to put in our album to help us remember all the great folks. On the last formal night we make sure to take pictures with the wait staff, bartenders, etc. we have befriended so that we can it them into our album also. On our last cruise we were in the champagne bar after the first seating and the 4 chefs were in there waiting for the Baked Alaska parade (even when we were in Chille -- they still did baked alaska!). My DH took a picture of me with them -- I call it "My 4 Chefs"!!

DW & I travel with a computer and cordless portable printer. We write complimentary letters to the head of the department so good service can be instantly recognized and noted. We put our names and cabin number in the header. It really works. When we sent a letter complimenting our butler the head of housekeeping came down to thank us. The other thing is that one can write more than on a comment card and be more specific with details.

...We're really enjoying this thread! Thank-you so much to whoever made the list...AND for the Fluffy German Pancakes...!!! (we'll be trying those out soon!) Just reading through this thread has DD and I excited about the cruise...only a few more days....!!! WHOO-HOO...!!!:p

• 2 months later...
...We're really enjoying this thread! Thank-you so much to whoever made the list...AND for the Fluffy German Pancakes...!!! (we'll be trying those out soon!) Just reading through this thread has DD and I excited about the cruise...only a few more days....!!! WHOO-HOO...!!!:p

Those "Puffy" German Pancakes are incredible. If you haven't tried them yet, give it a go. When they cook they end up looking like a golden brown stadium. It is important to make sure the pan/pie plate is hot when you pour in the batter, otherwise you're likely to get a rather flat pancake. It will taste fine, but it won't have that wonderful stadium look. By the way, lime juice makes a great alternative to lemon juice, if you want something a little different.

Happy cruising to all who can still afford to cruise (and fly)!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Rusty,

Admittedly you didn't suggest stealing anything since food is free.

But I thought calling the waiter "dumb" and "riding" him/her to the kitchen (ships don't have kitchens - they have galleys) was a bit insensitive. :D

A dumbwaiter is a cart and there used to carry food and or dirty dishes.

Our little secret.

We hate disembarkation lines and the absence of any activities except sitting and waiting. We book a mid-afternoon flight.

We get some coffee and goodies in the buffet then head out for the Lido Deck and sit on deck reading and/or reflecting on the experience. Flat out relaxing on a deck of a cruise ship with no reason to rush off. Empty deck, coffee refills available and catch the rays we missed by sleeping in during the cruise.

Life is wonderful.

Once the feverish masses finish their exercise in voluntary masochism, pushing and shoving to get off first, we stroll off the ship later with only a few others in line, relaxed and ready for the fun and games to come at the airport.

After many cruises I keep wondering why people book early flights then spend the entire cruise worrying about making the plane. We always take a later flight with others who know our secret and still get home at a decent hour. Late enough to avoid the hassle but early enough to open the mail and have another "Special Drink of the Day" in our own house.

Unpacking and cleaning up can wait until tomorrow...maybe.

Booking flights are as important as picking a stateroom, always avoid snowbelt airports, when flying the lower 48 during the winter. otherwise, Walt is 100% correct. disembarkation between 8:30 AM & 9:00 AM sure is simplified.

PS, take a taxi and avoid the vans, vans wait until there full before heading to the airport, then unload at each terminal regardless of your flight time.

I always program the airline flight number(s) in my cell for flight confirmation and security wait time updates.

As they say in Jamacia, No problem

Happy sailing

Danny

Closer to the beginning of this thread there was some discussion regarding shares in RCCL and the stockholder benefit of OBC. Does this still happen or was it a once-off thing?

Closer to the beginning of this thread there was some discussion regarding shares in RCCL and the stockholder benefit of OBC. Does this still happen or was it a once-off thing?

Yes, the OBC is still available from owning 100 shares of RCCL stock and works for every cruise on Celebrity, RCCL or Azamara that you take while owning it. Here is a current discussion on Cruise Critic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=808361

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Amazing thread. I sailed on Celebrity 4 times and I don't know half the stuff mentioned here.

I never have problem ordering more than 1 apetizer or entree, even desert. We never order soda package as lemonade and ice tea are alway available and a variety of juices are free at dinner time, better than soda.

Not a secret, but I always oder cookies, desert, fruit & cheese platter, and sometimes clam chowder deliverd to the room every night and never have to go to any midnight bites. Coffee and tea as well. When my kids come back from their programs in the evening they always appreciate the snacks I have waiting for them. I will be sure to add the berries now if they are still available.

Those "Puffy" German Pancakes are incredible. If you haven't tried them yet, give it a go. When they cook they end up looking like a golden brown stadium. It is important to make sure the pan/pie plate is hot when you pour in the batter, otherwise you're likely to get a rather flat pancake. It will taste fine, but it won't have that wonderful stadium look. By the way, lime juice makes a great alternative to lemon juice, if you want something a little different.

Happy cruising to all who can still afford to cruise (and fly)!

Bob

Restaurants here in Midwest call these pancakes "Dutch Babies"

Archived