Celebrity Secrets they usually don't tell you about

dmarch@islc.net

Bob, do you have a recipe for your famous PGP that you'd be willing to share? Admittedly this is not a Celebrity Secret, but if they're that good then perhaps YOU are the celebrity and it is your secret to share! :o

And thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread--it's been great reading as I prepare for my first Celebrity cruise!

I'm always willing to share this recipe. I had my first PGP when I was about 8 years old and have been hooked ever since. I've been cooking them since I was 12, so about 40 years or so.

Puffy German Pancakes

List of Ingredients

· 3 tablespoons melted butter

· 5 eggs

· 3/4 cup flour

· 1-1/2 tablespoon sugar

· 3/4 teaspoon salt

· 3/4 cup milk

Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Put 1-1/2 tablespoon butter in each of 2 10-inch cast-iron skillets, let melt in preheated oven, and spread to cover bottoms. Pans should be preheated when you pour in batter, but don’t let butter burn.

Beat eggs slightly, add remaining ingredients, beat until smooth. Pour batter into pans.

Bake 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 10 minutes more. Loosen pancakes with spatula and slide onto plates.

Drizzle with butter and lemon juice. Top with powdered sugar.

Makes 2 large pancakes.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Hey Bob,

I want to know what you put on your waffles! I love the orange butter and based on my last Century post-cruise weigh-in, that combination was definitely not diet food! I'm looking forward to meeting you on the Millie in December and to hearing all of your other cruise diet tips.

Linda

Can't remember, but Linda have you visited our roll call, we have a great and growing of CC'ers on Millie in December

You want secrets, my wifes first job was assistant maitre d on either the horizon or zenith, she sailed the carrib for six yrs starting in the early 90s then I captured and married her, what secrets do you want regards

WE WANT THEM ALL!!! :eek: Tell her to fess up! :D

WE WANT THEM ALL!!! :eek: Tell her to fess up! :D
O K, she would like to set the scene first her day 05.15 am at her station, 05.30 waiters arrive she would then inspect them for uniform problems and hygiene problems nails shaving etc, breakfast service over, clean down set up for lunch, lunch over set up for high tea, she was the person who with her white gloves on would flambe your crepe clean down set up for dinner service, clean down set up for breakfast, if she then had done high tea she was not on duty at the midnight buffet, her attitude which means her teams attitude to passengers, she did not like her team appearing to be tip hounds, it did not matter to them how much a person tipped if they were fools they were treated in that way, because she speaks 7 languages she could understand all the comments by waiters and passengers, the people who got that extra bit of service in general were not the big ostentatious tippers but the people who showed basic respect for her and her team, they liked them, never never click your fingers to get the attention of a waiter. The waiters work very hard, for then $60 a month.

She wants you to be more specific in you question otherwise the post would go on for ever regards

Good Day Standby 06.30..

Whew! What a Day..sounds to me a lot worse than when I grew up on the farm.. at least it slowed down in the winter..but your wifes..day was 24/7

I always see people ask about changing their dinner seating time..perhaps you could shed some facts on this subject.

Have a good day.

Paul

Good Day Standby 06.30..

Whew! What a Day..sounds to me a lot worse than when I grew up on the farm.. at least it slowed down in the winter..but your wifes..day was 24/7

I always see people ask about changing their dinner seating time..perhaps you could shed some facts on this subject.

Have a good day.

Paul

$20 to the maitre D, if it can be arranged, it will be. regards

I'd like to clarify this issue, please. In the last four years, DW and I have cruised on three X ships: the Connie, the Mercury, and this past spring, the Infinity. Each time, upon boarding, one of our first stops was the asst. maitre'd for our table assignment - which we then inspect for location. We have never seen anyone having lunch in the dining room, no matter the time, early or not.

When I read the previous post, I got excited about it. Thought maybe it was something I never knew about, or maybe something new. Has anyone besides the previous poster, who said the learned about this on the Mercury, had lunch in the formal dining room on embarkation day?

I've also cruised on HAL, RCCL, & Carnival. Never saw it there either.

Did I misread something?

Harvey

Hi Harvey, I am not doubting the poster and I am glad for him:)

But in 11 cruises with Celebrity I have never seen lunch served

on embarkation day either.

And like you, I stop by the Maitr'd station everytime as well.....

the Dining room has never been open to us regular folks;)

Actually when I sailed back in March, Fabio was so gracious

and had one of his waiters take me into the dining room so I could

see the table location I had been assigned. There was nobody

eating lunch in there at that time.

Not sure if this was discussed in the previous posts, but significant sporting events are usually available. Example, NCAA semi-finals and final in basketball was available on Infinity in April (Bob can testify that I had a high and low - Ohio State fan).

ESPN has some sort of cruise line only sattelite broadcast system. The basketball tourny was supposed to be CBS only but apparently distribution rights were sold.

I'm guessing that other sporting events go through the same channel so to speak.

I also had dinner in room. Filet Mignon, French Fries with Bernaise Sauce and Brown Sauce. French fries dipped in the sauces tasted great ;)

I'd like to clarify this issue, please. In the last four years, DW and I have cruised on three X ships: the Connie, the Mercury, and this past spring, the Infinity. Each time, upon boarding, one of our first stops was the asst. maitre'd for our table assignment - which we then inspect for location. We have never seen anyone having lunch in the dining room, no matter the time, early or not.

When I read the previous post, I got excited about it. Thought maybe it was something I never knew about, or maybe something new. Has anyone besides the previous poster, who said the learned about this on the Mercury, had lunch in the formal dining room on embarkation day?

I've also cruised on HAL, RCCL, & Carnival. Never saw it there either.

Did I misread something?

Harvey

Hey harvey, that was my post...We did it on the Mercury 3 years ago and also on Princess twice since so I assumed this was normal and just something nobody else noticed but apparently we just got lucky but I will always try to do it cause its the best...

ya think I might have just crashed a TA luncheon on Mercury and the staff was too polite to tell us?:eek:

Naw..just kidding, they sat lots of other guests and a luncheon would have included speakers, etc. Im sure!:p

Not sure if this was discussed in the previous posts, but significant sporting events are usually available. Example, NCAA semi-finals and final in basketball was available on Infinity in April (Bob can testify that I had a high and low - Ohio State fan).

ESPN has some sort of cruise line only sattelite broadcast system. The basketball tourny was supposed to be CBS only but apparently distribution rights were sold.

I'm guessing that other sporting events go through the same channel so to speak.

I also had dinner in room. Filet Mignon, French Fries with Bernaise Sauce and Brown Sauce. French fries dipped in the sauces tasted great ;)

Last November on VOS, they realigned the entire satellite system in order to air the Michigan & Ohio State game. I think the key was the large group of OSU fans that were planning a mutiny.:) So they have the ability to tune anything in, just a question as to whether they will.

O K, she would like to set the scene first her day 05.15 am at her station, 05.30 waiters arrive she would then inspect them for uniform problems and hygiene problems nails shaving etc, breakfast service over, clean down set up for lunch, lunch over set up for high tea, she was the person who with her white gloves on would flambe your crepe clean down set up for dinner service, clean down set up for breakfast, if she then had done high tea she was not on duty at the midnight buffet, her attitude which means her teams attitude to passengers, she did not like her team appearing to be tip hounds, it did not matter to them how much a person tipped if they were fools they were treated in that way, because she speaks 7 languages she could understand all the comments by waiters and passengers, the people who got that extra bit of service in general were not the big ostentatious tippers but the people who showed basic respect for her and her team, they liked them, never never click your fingers to get the attention of a waiter. The waiters work very hard, for then $60 a month.

She wants you to be more specific in you question otherwise the post would go on for ever regards

I think what we are looking for is some good "inside' info that most people don't know..like what she would tell a friend getting ready to cruise celebrity! :)

Mike

I can testify to the fact that George got to watch those games, but I, however, was luckless in finding the OREGON vs. FLORIDA game on the day we sailed. It was interesting because we sailed from Fort Lauderdale. I searched high and low and was unable to find the game. Just as The Ohio State University lost a week later, the Ducks also lost to Florida. At least our TA cruise in December will be during football limbo. I will, however, miss the Oregon vs. Oregon State game on December 1, because I'll be on my way to Barcelona.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Hey harvey, that was my post...We did it on the Mercury 3 years ago and also on Princess twice since so I assumed this was normal and just something nobody else noticed but apparently we just got lucky but I will always try to do it cause its the best...

ya think I might have just crashed a TA luncheon on Mercury and the staff was too polite to tell us?:eek:

Naw..just kidding, they sat lots of other guests and a luncheon would have included speakers, etc. Im sure!:p

Ohhhh it was you........:D ;) well, if I had only known....LOL

Seriously, you are the first person I have ever heard about that got

to eat lunch in the dining room on sail day......you don't

think I am going to see the Maitr'd and find out about this?

Yeppers....lets see what happens.....and I definitely think

it is not "normal";). I would love to eat in the dining room for lunch!

I can testify to the fact that George got to watch those games, but I, however, was luckless in finding the OREGON vs. FLORIDA game on the day we sailed. It was interesting because we sailed from Fort Lauderdale. I searched high and low and was unable to find the game. Just as The Ohio State University lost a week later, the Ducks also lost to Florida. At least our TA cruise in December will be during football limbo. I will, however, miss the Oregon vs. Oregon State game on December 1, because I'll be on my way to Barcelona.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Bob, you are also a Celebrity secret ;).

Fair winds and following seas on your next cruise.

Hello to All,

I have often checked out table location by walking through the dining room on embarkation day and have never seen anyone dining there on RCCL or Celebrity ships. I did learn, however, on my last NCL cruise that they serve lunch in the dining room. We sailed from NYC and it was great... the dining room was practically empty and the service was wonderful. We sat by the windows and watched the Hudson River boats go by while we ate. Eating in the dining room was definitely a more relaxing way to start a cruise. Strangely enough, although there were plenty of wait staff, the line did not advertise the dining room as an option. As people boarded they were directed to the buffet and the Daily listed lunch in the buffet, too... very strange!

Anyway, if Celebrity does decide to serve lunch in the dining room on embarkation day, count me in. It was great on NCL and it would be that much better on any Celebrity ship since the food is better!

Could you have seen B2B people having lunch on board? I have heard that this happens sometimes...the dining room is open for them.

OOPS look like I was posting same time & same thing as CaliforniaDreamin..

Bob....just wondering if I understood that orange juice diet! Did you mean 1/2 & 1/2 cream, orange juice & water? Or did you mean use 1/2 orange juice & 1/2 water? And do you really think that was the reason you lost all the weight?

Of course now that you've posted that puffy pancake, I'm going to have to try it, & it certainly doesn't look like diet food!! But it looks wonderful....thanks!!:)

BOB, I am going to try the pancake recipe this weekend..using pie plates. I will let you know how it works out.

With respect to lunch in the dining room..we should all send emails to Celebrity..maybe then they will think about it..

Michael

Bob....just wondering if I understood that orange juice diet! Did you mean 1/2 & 1/2 cream, orange juice & water? Or did you mean use 1/2 orange juice & 1/2 water? And do you really think that was the reason you lost all the weight?

Of course now that you've posted that puffy pancake, I'm going to have to try it, & it certainly doesn't look like diet food!! But it looks wonderful....thanks!!:)

Fill a glass half way with water and the other half with orange juice. Drink as much of this as you can each day, and I'm certain you'll lose weight. It was the only thing that changed in my diet and exercise during the year that I lost the weight, and I discovered it by accident. I quit doing it when the price of orange juice tripled at the first of the year and have gained nearly 20 pounds back. That was until I returned to the water/OJ mixture a month ago and have since lost 6 pounds.

Good luck and enjoy those Puffy German Pancakes.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Archived