Celebrity Secrets they usually don't tell you about

dmarch@islc.net

When your really hungry in the middle of the night, find the dumbwaiter, crawl in and take a ride to the kitchen where you'll find a vast array of desserts and yummy foods. Load up your bag and head back for the ride back to your floor.

PS- you can only sneak food this way - please refrain from trying this method to sneek crew members into your cabin.:D

lol when I read this, I nearly died!

This is good!

Thing we pack that are always handy...

1. A fabric shoe tree (packs easily and unrolls. hang it on the wall and use it to keep all your other handy stuff in).

2. A small hand-held blowtorch (great for welding when needed)

3. A bungee cord (if you have a veranda, it helps to keep the door open at night so you can enjoy the sound of the waves and the the ocean air).

4. A deck of cards

5. A night light (especially good if you're in an interior cabin)

6. An 8-inch clip-on fan (keeps the air moving in the cabin).

We pack a lot of useful items. These are the six that we find are always useful. Just kidding about the blowtorch.

We were on a 10 day Princess cruise to Alaska and on day 2 they wanted to know our disembarkation plans. My thought was "Forevermore we haven't hit the first port yet and you want to know how we're getting off."

Celebrity also asks very early in the cruise about your disembarkation plans.

You receive a form to fill to regarding how you are getting home and if you flying, your flight info. The reason that they do this so early is that they need to arrange the disembarkation order to allow you time to make your flight. If you don't fill it out, you will receive a letter with another form asking you to please fill it out and return to guest relations.

When we first cruised back in the early 90's, you got off the ship by deck order. Now the debarkation order is set up by your plans after the cruise.

When you think about it, trying to arrange the debarkation order for that many passengers would take some time. For example, in Ft. Lauderdale the ship has to give priority to people with flights in the order of their flight time and also fit in those with early disembarkation privileges because of the cabin status or past passenger status - and not overcrowd the terminal with too many passengers at once.

Celebrity also asks very early in the cruise about your disembarkation plans.

You receive a form to fill to regarding how you are getting home and if you flying, your flight info. The reason that they do this so early is that they need to arrange the disembarkation order to allow you time to make your flight. If you don't fill it out, you will receive a letter with another form asking you to please fill it out and return to guest relations.

When we first cruised back in the early 90's, you got off the ship by deck order. Now the debarkation order is set up by your plans after the cruise.

When you think about it, trying to arrange the debarkation order for that many passengers would take some time. For example, in Ft. Lauderdale the ship has to give priority to people with flights in the order of their flight time and also fit in those with early disembarkation privileges because of the cabin status or past passenger status - and not overcrowd the terminal with too many passengers at once.

On the other hand there's NCL where you just choose when to disembark and pick up your luggage tags from the rack in the lobby. They also have the spa open and a bar or two. Most civilized.

Trust me -- I have!

The aft deck area on the Penthouse deck on the Galaxy and Mercury are a very nice secluded spot with lounge chairs.

I also LOVE the big chocolate chip cookies you can get from room service!

This is a fun (and informative!) thread!

Jeff

When I was on Millie to Alaska last September, I would go to the deck behind the buffet every morning and eat my breakfast. It was like my own private balcony. Other than Sail-Away there was usually 5-10 people back there. It was a beautiful way to take it all in without paying for the balcony room. :D

When I was on Millie to Alaska last September, I would go to the deck behind the buffet every morning and eat my breakfast. It was like my own private balcony. Other than Sail-Away there was usually 5-10 people back there. It was a beautiful way to take it all in without paying for the balcony room. :D

I love it out there. More often than not very quiet.

Thanks for the tip. I love watching the entry into port in the morning and it's even better when I can eat my breakfast at the same time! :) I'll be on the Millie a week from today :D so keep the tips coming!!!

• 3 months later...

Lots of good information, but I would like to know how much of it is still current.

1.) Free deck (or two) of playing cards from the pursers/guest relations desk.

2.) Older posts mentioned no charge for using your ship card for gambling money, I believe that this has changed. I know on some other companies you can avoid the fee by using the slot machine instead of the table or cashier. Are there any exceptions to the fees?

3.) Order anything from the dining room menu via room service. At this point is room service for standard cabins a continental breakfast only, and concierge/aqua/suite get a slightly wider but not comprehensive menu? The idea of having Eggs Benedict on the balcony sounds nice. Also, fresh squeezed juice... room service or dining room only? I have also heard about ordering room service on the TV? If so, how would you "write in" your extra requests.

4.) An earlier poster mentioned public access to the forward deck (helipad) during an Alaska glacier cruise. Are there any times when that forward deck would be open to passengers on a Caribbean sailing?

5.) Taking an internet class to use the web without charge. Are internet classes still offered on the ships? It seems like these days everyone has figured out how to surf the web.

6.) After dinner coffee (espresso/cappuccino) is not included with the cruise price unlike other companies. It would be nice if they have changed that policy.

- chocolate croissants available warm each morning in Cova Cafe

- a daily pass ($20) to the Persian Gardens if you want to try it out before spending $100 for the entire cruise

- creme brulee available every night at dinner IF you pre-order it

I thought creme brulee was standard, like warm chocolate melting cake on carnival?

Luv the aft cabins!! Going to try Persian Gardens this month for the first time. I went once last year and loved it so thought I would try a week pass this year.

We enjoy the Rendezvous Lounge pre dinner..usually great music and a dance floor.

Great thread for a 1st-time-X-er like me!

IslandPat: Glad to hear you like aft cabins! We have always been curious about aft cabins but avoided them because we heard that "soot" can sometimes be a problem. We have finally booked one, though ~ we're sailing in an aft cabin on deck 8 of the Century next week!

CaribbeanBound: you REALLY had me going on the whole blow-torch thing. I must have pondered that one for 10 minutes before I went back and re-read your post! I was about to ask "what in the world do you use that for?", when I finally spotted your JK! Thanks for the laugh!

Now for a question: is there a Celebrity Secret to getting a discounted price or onboard credit when you book a cruise while onboard? We have never booked a cruise more than just a few weeks in advance and never while we were onboard. Do you really get a better deal by booking with the Future Cruise Consultant? What's the Secret, if any?

Happy Sailing to all! :)

If you book a cruise on board you get an on board credit of up to $300 depending on the length of the cruise. You can also purchase for $100 a Celebrity Passages which entitles you to book a cruise once you get off the ship and get the same OBC. There is no discount for booking a cruise on the ship. Booking ahead on the ship can get you a cabin you prefer.

That being said, if you book a cruise and the price comes down on that particular category, you can ask for the lower price up until final payment. After final payment, if the price comes down, you can ask for an OBC for the difference. The only time it doesn't apply is when the new price is offered for new bookings only. Also, you cannot use a Celebrity Passages booking #and get the OBC if you book an Exciting Deal on the Tuesday specials.

I booked a sailing after the final payment with a Celebrity Passages booking number. Within a week the price came down twice. I now have the $300 OBC from Passages plus another $1000 OBC because of the price changes.

Another tip...If you do the booking yourself with Celebrity before final payment, you can transfer the booking to a travel agent who would give you perks/ OBC for your business. I had to give up a $175 OBC from my travel agent to get the additional $1000 OBC. Anything I don't spend of the $1000 will be refunded to me. The Passages OBC is non refundable.

Happy Sailing!

Just a little footnote. Since I knew I would be booking the cruise after the final payment deadline, I transferred my Passages booking to the travel agent ahead of time.

Hi, hancock! Thanks for your quick and well-explained response. I think I understand the details!

One question, though: if the Passages OBC is non-reundable but the other OBC (due to price reductions) is refundable, how do they differentiate that in your on-board account? I guess as long as you spend more than the Passages OBC, they will refund any remaining credit? Sweet! That IS a great insider Secret!

We have our eye on a cruise in April that is currently on sale online at Celebrity-dot-com, offering reduced deposits & $300 OBC. I was thinking of putting a cabin "on hold" right before we board the ship, and asking the Future Cruise Consultant to "finish" that booking, unless he/she found us a better cabin, of course. Do you see any reason why the consultant would not be able to finalize a "hold" we made online? I wonder if we will be able to get both the "on-board booking" OBC and the OBC that is advertised online for this particular sailing? I guess we will see!

Thanks again!

Sorry, Celebrity won't let you combine OBC's from them. The extra OBC I have from the price drop is a different thing. You can either get the OBC from the sale they are offering now or you can get an OBC from Passages/on board booking. Btw, the $300 OBC is for a 14 day or longer cruise. Anything shorter will get you a smaller OBC.

$50-3-5 nights

$100-6-9 nights

$200-10-13 nights

$300-14 and up nights

Once onboard, they will use the unrefundable OBC first, then any other OBC.

Thing we pack that are always handy...

3. A bungee cord (if you have a veranda, it helps to keep the door open at night so you can enjoy the sound of the waves and the the ocean air).

Also - if you have a veranda - you can use the bungee cord to quickly and easily move between your veranda and the one directly below (of course you should really know the folks on the deck below you ;))

Guest Host Cheryl
It's seems an ealier post was pulled because folks were getting off topic. How about we try to keep this post for great tips about different ships.

Great Secrets I Found:

If you can't decide what you want for dinner, you can order two dinners. Then the only problem you will have is eating both :-)

Great Secrets I Found:

If you can't decide what you want for dinner, you can order two dinners. Then the only problem you will have is eating both :-)

Do they serve both at the same time or is it that you finish the first before receiving the second? Sometimes I would like both a beef and chicken entree but don't really want the duplicate side dishes.

Also - if you have a veranda - you can use the bungee cord to quickly and easily move between your veranda and the one directly below (of course you should really know the folks on the deck below you ;))

LOL......Just need to escape from the Camera's..!!! Good one.

• 1 month later...

Archived