Celebrity Secrets they usually don't tell you about

dmarch@islc.net

I wonder if Solstice will be as helpful as all the others.??

Of course they will - but maybe not the first or second sailing.

you know jitters, little hic ups etc........

We have been on two RCCI (RCCL & Celebrity) ships on early sailings, the Inaugural of the Sovereign of the Seas and the second sailing of the Summit and found the service on both to be, if possible, better than on the other ships of both lines.

I suspect that they put their best people on the new ships, so as to be able to better address any problems with the new ship. If so, then a side benefit would be better service from those better people. This is just supposition, but supposition based upon actual experience.

We have heard horror stories about early sailings on other lines. But, we have no qualms about taking early sailings of RCCI ships. In fact, we like to do just that.

Restaurants here in Midwest call these pancakes "Dutch Babies"

The Puffy German Pancakes (Dutch Babies) are great to prepare at home. The cost of all ingredients (Flour, Eggs, Milk, sugar, salt, Vanilla, Lemon, Butter, and Powdered Sugar) for two is less than $2.00, and these can cost upwards of $8.00 each in a restaurant.

Happy cruising to all.

Bob

P.S. If you're cruising later this month or next, be sure and enjoy a waffle for me. WWWAMW!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I am booking the Millie on Monday and this is a great thread!!

Yes, this thread is a big help. Hard to remember (or read!) all of it. Even if it's a repeat, maybe we should ask people if they're willing to talk again about their top 2-3 "secrets" so that people don't have to wade through the whole thing...

My number one secret is this: if there's some tasty food item you'd like, ask politely for it, and it might just happen. A bowl of fresh berries, for instance? It can happen, and certainly did for us. A very nice cheese plate delivered to your room to eat on the balcony? Ditto.

And of course don't forget to tip nicely where appropriate...

Hello, Walt~!

You posted this earlier in the thread:

Originally Posted by Host Walt viewpost.gif

Our little secret.

We hate disembarkation lines and the absence of any activities except sitting and waiting. We book a mid-afternoon flight.

We get some coffee and goodies in the buffet then head out for the Lido Deck and sit on deck reading and/or reflecting on the experience. Flat out relaxing on a deck of a cruise ship with no reason to rush off. Empty deck, coffee refills available and catch the rays we missed by sleeping in during the cruise.

Life is wonderful.

Once the feverish masses finish their exercise in voluntary masochism, pushing and shoving to get off first, we stroll off the ship later with only a few others in line, relaxed and ready for the fun and games to come at the airport.

Am wondering what time you actually disembark - i.e., what's the latest you've been allowed to remain aboard? 9 of us have very late flights when departing from Solstice on 3/1. Also - did you keep all of your luggage with you (am assuming you did)?

Thanks so much!!

Dawn

I noticed this thread goes back several years. I wonder how many "secrets" are stll available. Many were posted before the economy went south and cost cutting started. I enjoyed the always available escargot.

Anyone know of it's still available?

I noticed this thread goes back several years. I wonder how many "secrets" are stll available. Many were posted before the economy went south and cost cutting started. I enjoyed the always available escargot.

Anyone know of it's still available?

Agreed! Very stale thread.

Burgerbits - your luggage is gathered the night before. You cannot stay in your cabin after 8am - the steward will start showing you the door as soon as he knows you're awake.

Staying in the ship on disembarkation day is NOT pleasant. I leave as a "carry off", which means as soon as I'm forced out of my cabin, I walk off the ship with my two bags and hail a cab. I won't deal with the mobs in the buffet area, nor will I wait like a herd of buffalo waiting for my color to be called.

Agreed! Very stale thread.

Burgerbits - your luggage is gathered the night before. You cannot stay in your cabin after 8am - the steward will start showing you the door as soon as he knows you're awake.

Staying in the ship on disembarkation day is NOT pleasant. I leave as a "carry off", which means as soon as I'm forced out of my cabin, I walk off the ship with my two bags and hail a cab. I won't deal with the mobs in the buffet area, nor will I wait like a herd of buffalo waiting for my color to be called.

Veronica -

I posted the query to Host Walt, as his experience seems to be different than yours. I am quite familiar with 'normal' procedures. Disembarking the 'normal' way is not pleasant to me; we have sometimes done express departure, walking off on our own. This trip, there will be 9 in our party including 3 children aged 7 - 13. As such, I was seeking info on alternative disembarkation (to having them wait in a crowded lounge). Additionally, all of our flights leave FLL quite late in the day.

Hello, Walt~!

You posted this earlier in the thread:

Originally Posted by Host Walt viewpost.gif

Our little secret.

We hate disembarkation lines and the absence of any activities except sitting and waiting. We book a mid-afternoon flight.

We get some coffee and goodies in the buffet then head out for the Lido Deck and sit on deck reading and/or reflecting on the experience. Flat out relaxing on a deck of a cruise ship with no reason to rush off. Empty deck, coffee refills available and catch the rays we missed by sleeping in during the cruise.

Life is wonderful.

Once the feverish masses finish their exercise in voluntary masochism, pushing and shoving to get off first, we stroll off the ship later with only a few others in line, relaxed and ready for the fun and games to come at the airport.

Am wondering what time you actually disembark - i.e., what's the latest you've been allowed to remain aboard? 9 of us have very late flights when departing from Solstice on 3/1. Also - did you keep all of your luggage with you (am assuming you did)?

Thanks so much!!

Dawn

We listen to the incessant departure announcements and as they start getting near the end we aske each other, "Well, what do you think? Should we start down now?"

And, yes. Having had a bag gone missing 10 years ago when disembarking in Copenhagen, we have all our bags with us for disembarkation. Our bags are all with rollers so it's not a big deal.

We've never stayed aboard long enough to be "shooed off," nor have we asked what the "deadline" might be, so I don't know when that would happen, but my recollection is that our latest off was at around 9:45 or 10:00am. No one cares how long we linger so long as we're not in the way of the staff who are working on preparing the ship for the next cruise.

I doubt that you (we) would be permitted to stay on much later than 10:30am because they would want to be sure that everyone disembarking was off the ship before they start boarding the new bunch.

Hi Dawn:)

I have stayed on board the ship until the latest that is

allowed and Walt is correct. Its about 10:15-10:30.

It has never been a problem for me and by the time I get off

there is hardly any luggage left so its really easy to find mine:)

When I have a mid afternoon flight, which seems to be

quite often, I always ask to be in the very last group.

You might not be able to stay in your cabin but I have

always either stayed up on the lido deck or, being elite,

is one of the perks I take advantage of...stay in whatever

lounge is offered and have a coffee there.

I was on Infinity in early December and we were able to wait

in the USS United States..it was great. We disemarked after

10.. waited until 99% of everyone was gone..walked down,

got my luggage and shared a van with about 10 other folks

who were also going to the airport.

So my experience was not unpleasant at all:)

Thank you, Lois! Sounds much nicer than trying to get 3 little boys to rush hither and thither, then expect them to calm down and act like gentlemen while waiting...:rolleyes:

Depending on how lightly we can pack, I'm definitely going to plan to do this on March 1st.

We disembarked the Infinity Dec. 22 and it was quite easy. We kept one small rolling suitcase as well as our shoulder carryons in the cabin overnight and were scheduled to meet in a lounge at 10 AM. We had a leisurely breakfast on the aft outside deck after the crowds had left, then walked around on a nearly empty deck 11 for awhile. Then to the cabin, showers, and final packing. We were out by 9:45, got to the lounge, and were told we could get off immediately. Almost no line. Very easy.

I had checked the disembarkation information as well as the newsletter to see if there was an "out of cabin" time. I could find none. I concluded that my 10 AM time for the lounge meant be out of the cabin by that time.

• 1 month later...
We've had banana splits served on Zenith on 10 and 11 day cruises when you just had to have something "special" after all those over the top desserts! Also, if you have an ice cream preference (rum raisin is mine) they will bring it to you even if it's not one of the evening's selections on the menu.

You just jogged my memory of my Mill. cruise where I fell in love with the R.R. iceream., Loking forward to my April 11 cruise out of San Juan on Summitt;).

When my DH and I got off the Millennium in San Diego we were in the early group (even though they knew our flight was not until 4:30 pm) So we just stayed in our room, took our time, there was no "dealing with the mobs at the buffet" :confused:we ordered room service, coffee, fruit and rolls. We left our room about 9am were off the ship,on the bus and on the way to the airport by 9:30! and our luggage was very easy to spot! :D

Happy sailing

Melody

• 5 months later...
When my DH and I got off the Millennium in San Diego we were in the early group (even though they knew our flight was not until 4:30 pm) So we just stayed in our room, took our time, there was no "dealing with the mobs at the buffet" :confused:we ordered room service, coffee, fruit and rolls. We left our room about 9am were off the ship,on the bus and on the way to the airport by 9:30! and our luggage was very easy to spot! :D

Happy sailing

Melody

Can you order room service the morning of debarkation? It seemed to me on all our cruises on rccl that that wasn't available on the last day. We're in a concierge class room on Constelllation in October. Thanks in advance.

Can you order room service the morning of debarkation? It seemed to me on all our cruises on rccl that that wasn't available on the last day. We're in a concierge class room on Constelllation in October. Thanks in advance.

We were on the Mercury and were able to order room service on the disembarkation day. It's so civilized.

It's certainly NOT available on Princess where their goal seems to be to get you off. We were on a 10 day Princess cruise to Alaska and on day 2 they wanted to know our disembarkation plans. My thought was "Forevermore we haven't hit the first port yet and you want to know how we're getting off."

We were on the 8/7 Solstice Eastern Med sailing and room service breakfast was not available on the day of disembarkation. I think they stopped room service at midnight the night before. We were booked in AquaClass and was able to eat an early breakfast in Blu. They started serving an hour earlier than usual

Just got back on Friday from Alaska on the Infinity. Continental Breakfast only through room service on disembarkation day.

Archived