Opinions please

Jancruz

Oceania is a good line, but prices have been ever increasing in the last three years. It is nice for Celebrity to offer competition, perhaps prices will be lowered, good for the consumers overall, I hope, as market forces level things in the long run.

I guess until you try Celebrity out you cannot tell if they are comparable with O in food, staff moral etc...;)

Costs have gone up on all cruiselines, fuel is up, port fees etc...it is just part of life

I don't think Oceania has to worry.

We tried Celebrity, 3-04, Mercury, to the Mexican Riviera, and frankly were not that impressed. Ship was bland and unexciting - and while food was good, it certainly did not come anywhere near Oceania's food.

We looked hard at Journey & Quest's itineraries, didn't see much that appeals. They may fill a niche for folks wanting a conventional, short cruise itinerary on a smaller ship.

Jan. let us know if I'm wrong. We talked at length to RickeyCruz and looked very hard at the trip you are taking in Sept to Bermuda. We found it really difficult to justify traveling from Florida to New Jersey in order to sail to Bermuda and sit in port(s) for 5 days. I'd love to know if I conjured up the wrong picture of this cruise.

Depends what hey plan to copy. If it's size alone that won't do it.

We want the non-smoking, adults only and port intensive cruises with the great food and wonderful surroundings. If they can do all that maybe they will be a competitor but I, for one, doubt it.:rolleyes:

I don't think Oceania has to worry.

We tried Celebrity, 3-04, Mercury, to the Mexican Riviera, and frankly were not that impressed. Ship was bland and unexciting - and while food was good, it certainly did not come anywhere near Oceania's food.

What you say is consistent with our 5-05 Alaska repo experience on Celebrity Summit.

Fred

It will not make much sense for Celebrity simply to put smaller ships on the same old, same old itineraries. We have enjoyed X very much, and indeed are booked on Infinity for a relaxing Hawaii RT in April; but after our Xpedition adventure in January; there is not much left that Celebrity does which we have not already done.

We also understand that Journey and Quest will have formal nights! Bad plan. Next they will try two assigned seatings for dinner.

So X is going to have to show a lot more imagination that they apparently have to date in order to compete with either Oceania or even Princess and its Renaissance re-dos.

We are looking forward to Insignia's Rio to Barcelona trip in March 2008, and plan on a southeast Asia trip on Oceania in 2009.

We looked hard at Journey & Quest's itineraries, didn't see much that appeals. They may fill a niche for folks wanting a conventional, short cruise itinerary on a smaller ship.

Jan. let us know if I'm wrong. We talked at length to RickeyCruz and looked very hard at the trip you are taking in Sept to Bermuda. We found it really difficult to justify traveling from Florida to New Jersey in order to sail to Bermuda and sit in port(s) for 5 days. I'd love to know if I conjured up the wrong picture of this cruise.

The thought of Bermuda in September scares the bejabbers out of me. I guess I live toooo close to the Atlantic Ocean and worry about 'cane season.

It will not make much sense for Celebrity simply to put smaller ships on the same old, same old itineraries. We have enjoyed X very much, and indeed are booked on Infinity for a relaxing Hawaii RT in April; but after our Xpedition adventure in January; there is not much left that Celebrity does which we have not already done.

We also understand that Journey and Quest will have formal nights! Bad plan. Next they will try two assigned seatings for dinner.

So X is going to have to show a lot more imagination that they apparently have to date in order to compete with either Oceania or even Princess and its Renaissance re-dos.

We are looking forward to Insignia's Rio to Barcelona trip in March 2008, and plan on a southeast Asia trip on Oceania in 2009.

They will not have formal nights also they are having open seatings..

Jan

Hi Don,

I am going because it is a great way to have a vacation with my three daughters (leaving Stu home and having a girls week) without going too far and it is an inexpensive way to try the ship (which I am anxious to do) ..For us it seems like fun, just being together!

Jan

X's itineraries don't appeal to me for one thing....and we're not that much into "service" and/or "extra fine food" for another. We sail mainly to see as much of the world as we can before the light goes out. I can live fine on self service and K-rations.

What does everyone think about Celebrity trying to copy O's ships with the Journey and the Quest..I dont think they can..they lack FDR's dedication..other opinions please..

Jan

I'll add my thoughts to this also. I have been twice on Mercury and once on Infinity. I have enjoyed the overall Celebrity experience - onboard crew service, the ships public areas, low key ambience, and pleasant dining experiences. While I enjoyed the food in the dining room for the most part, it was always the same old, same old in the buffet (although I did like the AquaSpa selections). In fact, I found it difficult to overeat and that's kind of funny on a cruise. Even the pastries didn't appeal to me. I found Princess' food even more boring and bland in the buffet, and the crowds on the Grand were just unbelievably awful; I think the ship was badly laid out in that area. The TP was somewhat better - that smaller ship makes a difference.

But to get to the point. If there is one major area that Celebrity needs to change, it's their overall "guest relations" philosopy. I have no issue with the stateroom or dining crew but from personal experience and from what I have read on the boards, Celebrity doesn't have a caring attitude. And they tend to rudeness or indifference if one contacts them about an issue (Princess beats them hands down in that dept). Unless X does something radically different on Journey and Quest, they will just be a smaller version of the usual Celebrity product. Butlers and other niceties will never take the place of a quality, customer caring attitude.

I am going on the Regatta 3/11 - my first O cruise. From what I can tell, the service overall is going to beat X hands down. If there is anyone from Celebrity who reviews the boards to learn from their guests experiences, you'd never know it. Unlike Mr. FDR who clearly welcomes feedback and gives it his consideration.

That said, to date I have sailed with RCCL, Renaissance, Celebrity and Princess, and so far, except for the customer relations aspect, I have enjoyed Celebrity the best (Ren is not in the running of course).

Agree that the Celebrity R ship twins will probably notch below OC ...

But I'll tell you that one of the best vacations we've done was on a small ship (90 pax) that featured no smoking, was all inclusive (including drinks, shore excursions and tips) and followed an open seating policy for meals. No lavish entertainment shows, but great fellow passengers and destinations that were among the best places in the world.

That trip was Celebrity Expedition in the Galapagos ... now the food didn't match OC (partially due to the requirement to source Equadorian supplies) but Celebrity really gets this one right. Many folks refer to it as the "trip of a lifetime" ... so Celebrity knows how to do it.

That said, I really doubt Celebrity will try to emulate OC from a product perspective. I'd guess their purchase of the R ships had more to do with corporate positioning ... We'd really like to see Celebrity expand the Expedition brand to include additional similar adventures.

Frank

I have to agree with Frank. The Celebrity Expedition in Galapagos was a wonderful trip! It sold me on the smaller ship, great destination concept which is why we're sailing with Oceania in spring. The staff on the Expedition were so friendly and helpful. Celebrity deserves credit for pulling that off so nicely.

They will not have formal nights also they are having open seatings..

Jan

That's good - although we prefer assigned seating on larger ships. It would not work out on Quest and Journey and I am glad X sees it that way.

Will Celebrity charge for the two specialty restuarants, I wonder?

I agree with the poster who complimented Oceania on its on-board attitude.

They really are very friendly ships; although nothing matches Crystal for its service level. However the Oceania home office needed brushing up; and the excursions are still fairly limited and overpriced. I hope time will improve the service in both those areas.

I am a big fan of the open dining on Oceania, but don't agree that fixed seating (1st & 2nd) wouldn't work on the two R ships that Celebrity is getting.

We travelled on Pacific Princess (new), 11-03, Papeete to Sydney, with traditional dining, and it worked fine, I thought.

Interesting, on Tahitian and Pacific Princess, R ships both, passenger load has been reduced to 670, as opposed to Oceania's 684. Several obstructed view cabins on deck 6 are now allocated to entertainers/dancers, as Princess is still putting on "production shows", albeit with reduced cast.

The new Royal Princess of course has a higher passenger load, as it is one of the R class ships built without mini-suites on deck 8.

Frankly, Celebrity's price-points for these new ships is not that far below Oceania's, either. Given the choice between the two, I'd EASILY choose Oceania first.

Don't get me wrong, Celebrity is hands down my favorite mass-market cruise line (I think they are a solid step up from Holland America and Princess), but they just don't compare to Oceania....even with a duplicate ship.

I would defend against previous posters, though, who said that cuisine was uninspired, bland, etc., as well as decor. We've found Celebrity's decor to be quite contemporary and striking, yet tasteful and upscale when compared to the rest of the mass-market field. We've also found their food to be a notch below Oceania's, but a step above the rest of their playing field.

I have to agree with Jan. I haven't been on Oceania yet (:() but Celebrity and Oceania are different companies with very different ways of doing things.

And even if they were able to completely copy Oceania's product, I think Oceania would maintain a price premium based on reputation. And Oceania's newbuilds will just move the game ahead once again, even if Celebrity catches up.

PS....

I think Celebrity is making a mistake by choosing to expand their Expeditions venture in this way. I think people responded wonderfully to their small, yacht-style cruises in the very exotic Galapagos. You would think that they would opt to purchase some more ships of similar size, and expand into other markets that are more exotic (hence the name Expeditions).

Copying Oceania and simply sailing to the same old ports such as Bermuda, etc.?

Yawn.

I think the idea Celebrity originally had when they started the Expeditions brand was PERFECT....keep on that path!

I think and hope Celebrity can come close to Oceania. Oceania's smoking policy is a big draw for me and I am willing to pay extra for that. Oceania has better food but Celebrity food is very good. Celebrity has much better shore excursions. Celebrity usually has better prices.

We cruise primarily for itinerary but also need to find an itinerary that is affordable for us. I am not very knowledgeable about Oceania's pricing on all itineraries but in the price comparisons I've done between Celebrity and Oceania for similar but not identical itineraries, Celebrity is lower but only if you book very early (as in as soon as the itineraries are released). Some of the passengers who booked late for our 5/25/07 Celebrity Millennium sailing are paying as much as or more than many of Oceania's Med sailings this summer. We booked our Celebrity cruise this year based on the itinerary. We like Celebrity but loved Oceania. Celebrity has a long way to go to match the customer service of Oceania, and Oceania's great reputation is hard earned in my opinion. I wrote on another thread that my opinion is that this is the little cruise line that cares, so kudos to Oceania for that. We love Oceania's dress code policies--we cruise most often in Europe and HATE to drag formal clothes thousands of miles to wear for a few hours--and so many things about life on board ship on Oceania. We rarely do shore excursions on any of the cruise lines, so that's not a factor for us.

Donna

I have to agree with Frank and herenthere--

In August we will sail on our third Oceania cruise--we absolutely love the low key , country club casual experience and the food is great.

However, Celebrity did a fantastic job with their Galapagos Expedition trip. It WAS the trip of a lifetime. The food was not gourmet, but fresh---that counts for a lot. The staff was superb as well.

We've also been on other Celebrity cruises that cannot compare to the Oceania experience, but if they can take a lesson from themselves and emulate what they have created on the Expedition, they will be able to compete.

If that is their intent with Journey and Quest, they have quite a bit of work to do

Archived