Food ?'s

mattR

Looking over menu's posted from the Zuiderdam and had a couple ?'s

1. Dutch Dinner - is there lots of decorations and extra stuff going on or just the food?

2. Didn't notice lobster or crab on any of the menu's?

"Calf's Liver with Onions and Apples" LOL :)

Lobster tails are the second formal night of a seven day cruise. Crab is served as an appetizer on a seven day cruise.

On Dutch night, they have white cotton Dutch hats for the ladies and black caps at the gentlemen's seats.

We LOVE calf's liver and were disappointed it is no longer served the last night on Maasdam. I don't know if it has been eliminated on other ship's last night menu or just the Maasdam.

Lobster tails are the second formal night of a seven day cruise. Crab is served as an appetizer on a seven day cruise.

On Dutch night, they have white cotton Dutch hats for the ladies and black caps at the gentlemen's seats.

We LOVE calf's liver and were disappointed it is no longer served the last night on Maasdam. I don't know if it has been eliminated on other ship's last night menu or just the Maasdam.

Calves liver was served on the Rotterdam 34 day cruise. It was NOT very good!!!!

That' too bad you didn't care for the liver. We had it on Rotterdam in March and thought it delicious....cooked just the way we like it. Perhaps there is a different Chef aboard Rotterdam now than was aboard when we were.

DH and I love it when well prepared.....hard to match the liver we ate in Venice but some HAL Chefs do a very good job.

We only order it on cruises because of the HIgh cholesterol but we figure a few times a year won't kill us.

I hope it has not been eliminated on all of the ships. We were quite surprised to find meatloaf and 'fish and chips' on the menu in its place on Maasdam. Meatloaf is not something I expect to find on an HAL menu in the Rotterdam Dining Room. The food was so very good on the ship, it was a shame to see them lower the level by adding those items.

I was also surprised to see meatloaf, pot pie, and fish `n chips....although the fish was good. I always had enjoyed the liver and onions on the last night aboard......jean

Our waiter told us on our recent 34 day cruise that ALL the menu choices come from Seattle. The chefs have no say in what choices are on the menu. I too, was shocked to find meatloaf, fish and chips, etc. I guess Seattle thinks thats what we should have. Would NOT call it "gourmet food"

We were very surprised and disappointed to find meatloaf in place of rare prime rib at the embarkation lunch in the Lido on the Maasdam.

What's with all this meatloaf, lunch and dinnner? Raise the fare if we are going to have eat meatloaf on a HAL cruise. We like it, I make it at home, but it is NOT what we expect to eat on a cruise. Nor fish and chips nor pot pie. :(

We enjoyed the cruise on our 14 day cruise on the Noordam EXCEPT for Dutch night. Husband said that would have been a good one to skip---think he was right. But, if it is any consolation---didn't like the food much when we were in Amsterdam either, so maybe it is just us!!

We thought the food the rest of the time was good. My teenage sons went with us, and between the four of us, we usually tried almost everything on the menu.

We enjoyed the cruise on our 14 day cruise on the Noordam EXCEPT for Dutch night. Husband said that would have been a good one to skip---think he was right. But, if it is any consolation---didn't like the food much when we were in Amsterdam either, so maybe it is just us!!

We thought the food the rest of the time was good. My teenage sons went with us, and between the four of us, we usually tried almost everything on the menu.

We used to enjoy Dutch Night and look forward to it. But now that they took the two dishes we liked best off the menu (and the third disappeared about a year ago), we no longer like much they offer on that night.

So many people liked the Bami Goreng, it amazes me they took it away. (....and that is a very moderate priced entree). We also miss Dover Sole but I think they removed that because of the time it takes the stewards to debone the fish.)

I don't think it is just you, norma. Let's face it, when you think of the great cuisines in the world, have you ever heard anyone say 'Dutch'? ;)

:) Did you see if any pax requested a serving of it? :) I don't think we would have----correction, I know we would not but maybe enough others like it they thought it a reasonable thing to serve?

:)

Tripe - husband had it when we were in France - he liked it - UGH! Of course he also had haggis in Scotland - UGH!

I have also noticed that not too many people have been attending the BBQ which is usually on the same night as Dutch Night. Wonder if HAL is taking off the menu the good dishes like Dover Sole and Bami Goreng to encourage more people to attend the BBQ??

Tripe - husband had it when we were in France - he liked it - UGH! Of course he also had haggis in Scotland - UGH!

I have also noticed that not too many people have been attending the BBQ which is usually on the same night as Dutch Night. Wonder if HAL is taking off the menu the good dishes like Dover Sole and Bami Goreng to encourage more people to attend the BBQ??

KK:

Good point. Last few cruises, we've noticed the same thing. I used to like Dutch night, but will admit to it not being my favorite; however, I did love the Dover Sole. The past two cruises, we've gone to the Pinnacle on Dutch night. THe last BBQ we attended, the steaks were very fatty & tough, IMO - DH can eat anything and even he commented about the lack of quality... :(

iknick, how was the rest of the food?

Don't go there!

I think Iknick can give a very desciptive analysis of what he eats - after all, I think he eats in a mess hall! According to DH, you eat what is served or you go hungry... my DH spent 10+ yrs in the Marine Corp. - got out only by fluke in the 80's - but would eat darn near anything! His palate has been refined over the past 10 yrs since his discharge - but to this day, he will never send food back!

lknick, I love black pudding! but then, I was raised by a Scottish mother and its just another b`fast food in Scotland! Re the tripe, there were a lot of European cruisers on that cruise and they seem to love it, UGH!!.......the lining of a cows stomach is really not my "cup of tea"......jean

When ever we go to a different place/country, husband always tries anything that appears on the menu. (Our taste in foods differs completely sometimes.)

My DH is the same - he will try anything! I do try - sometimes I'm overwhelmed by certain things. :)

Archived