Please compare Voyager to Mariner and Navigator

poss

Several years ago we took our first cruise and loved it. We were on Voyager and have another Voyager cruise booked for this year. Friends of ours (also first timers) don't see anything on Voyager that suits their schedules, but they see possiblities on those two other ships. I can talk with them in detail about Voyager, but my sense is that of the three, Voyager is the "best." I'd appreciate if knowledgeable Regent cruisers can review for me the ways in which Voyager excels-- or perhaps I'm mistaken even in thinking there's significant difference? E.g. I remember reading something about vibration being worse on one of those ships. Also, do all of them have king beds? Assuming that we're just as happy with our up-coming cruise as we were first time around, I suspect we'll hope to book Regent again some time in the future, so the information will be very useful for our future planning also.

In other words: What are the differences among those 3 ships/cruising experiences? By the way, is there a reason why each ship does the particular itineraries that they do? (E.g. we're quite interested in some itineraries on Navigator, but I'm thinking maybe we wouldn't enjoy Navigator as much as Voyager?)

Thanks very much. The feedback on this board has been terrific!

I haven't been on Mariner, but have been on Voyager and Navigator.

Navigator is smaller. The rooms are very spacious, and the bedding is lovely. Most rooms have balconies, but not all.

There is some vibration problems I have heard, we were mid-ship so no problem, although there was some creaking at night in heavy seas (this was true on Voyager too.)

Navigator doesn't have much in the way of alternative dining such as Voyager has. The two specialty dining rooms are lovely, but so is La Verandah. Navigator only has Portofino's, which operates as a great venue for breakfast and lunch, but at night turns into Don Vito's which is a "themed" eating event. Nice enough, but not suitable for quiet dining.

All in all, it's a nice ship, and sometimes has itineraries which are a bit cheaper than Voyager.

We have been on all three. I know that all of these ships have "dry dock" and "wet dock schedules" where amenities are replaced, so I can't comment on the current condition of any of them. In general, the Mariner is very much like the Voyager except that the suites are generally smaller and the public areas generally larger. The Mariner is the only ship of these three on which neither I nor anybody reporting on it has experienced any undue vibration, under any conditions, in any part of the ship. Mariner is all balcony, too. A minus for the Mariner might be the tub/shower combo in some of the base level suites, where there is only 6' 2" headroom in the shower. If that's a problem, some of the suites have been retrofitted with a shower only with more headroom.

The Navigator does have a vibration problem that is serious in some areas like the show room. All seem to agree on this. To my experience, this won't be a problem if you book a suite front of mid-ships. As to pricing, remember that the lowest cost couple of categories of suites won't have balconys, so you have some upgrading to do if you want one -- but can save some money if you don't care. Of the three, the Navigator may be our favorite, as we feel "the smaller the ship the better" (as long as it is large enough to be called a ship! But that's just our personal preference.

As to the Voyager, there may (or may not) be an excessive vibration problem near the stern. Not all report that they experienced excessive vibration there, from cruise to cruise -- and even on the same cruise. Some report that this problem has been corrected and some say not. We personally experienced the worst in-suite vibration problem we have ever had at sea in a stern Horizon suite on the Voyager a few years back. Others on the stern on the same cruise reported no real problem. I think that all are telling the truth, as the source of vibration, and where it will manifest, are variables and difficult to figure out. All that can be said with certainty is that if one books a suite forward of the laundry rooms on a any deck, there will be no undue vibration. If you book aft of the laundry room location, there may or may not be excessive vibration in your suite. Otherwise, the Voyager is one great ship, with only one other negative that is personal to us. For us, it is just a little too big.

Thanks,

Richard

We love all 3 ships, but there are some differences. The standard suites on the Mariner are 54 square feet smaller than those on the Voyager and the Navigator but the premium suites (PHC and above) are larger. The Mariner also has the most spacious (square feet per passenger) public spaces of almost any ship at sea; the result is that one never feels crowded or has any trouble finding a deck chair. The Navigator has the least spacious public areas of the 3 ships, but is still very spacious and comfortable. What the Navigator does not have is Signatures or Latitudes.

The excellence of the staff and service is the same throughout all 3 ships.

If we had to rank the ships, our very personal ranking would be 1) Mariner, 2) Voyager and 3) Navigator, but we really tend to choose them by itinerary and are very happy on any of them.

A minus for the Mariner might be the tub/shower combo in some of the base level suites, where there is only 6' 2" headroom in the shower. If that's a problem, some of the suites have been retrofitted with a shower only with more headroom.

Thanks,

Richard

There is a bigger problem with the tub/showers than the height. They were installed 6" too high, so getting in and out may be a problem for some people. They do have lots of hand rails.

BB has only cruised on the Mariner..... :)

Mariner bathtub aside, I cannot think of anything else it doesn't do better than the Navigator.

The suites are as nice (other than the bathrooms). The public areas are much better (more designed for purpose than having the purpose modified for the strange design). In fact, even though there are more people on board the ship seems far more spacious without seeming too large.

There is no vibration issue (and I never thought I would complain about vibration until I was on the Navigator).

Overall I feel the Navigator is one of the few ships that actually interferes with a cruise rather than compliments it. The Diamond OTOH carried about the same number of passengers, and was extremely quirky, but charmed you into making it a favorite while making you feel that you were on a private oasis.

Given a choice for the same itinerary I would choose the Mariner...and I would even pay a little bit more to do so. (I doubt, however, they will ever share similar itineraries as the Navigator does with Voyager.)

Mariner bathtub aside, I cannot think of anything else it doesn't do better than the Navigator.

The suites are as nice (other than the bathrooms). The public areas are much better (more designed for purpose than having the purpose modified for the strange design). In fact, even though there are more people on board the ship seems far more spacious without seeming too large.

There is no vibration issue (and I never thought I would complain about vibration until I was on the Navigator).

Overall I feel the Navigator is one of the few ships that actually interferes with a cruise rather than compliments it. The Diamond OTOH carried about the same number of passengers, and was extremely quirky, but charmed you into making it a favorite while making you feel that you were on a private oasis.

Given a choice for the same itinerary I would choose the Mariner...and I would even pay a little bit more to do so. (I doubt, however, they will ever share similar itineraries as the Navigator does with Voyager.)

Eric, I typically enjoy your postings very much -- especially since you are a TA and therefore have input from clients as well as your own experiences. I truly feel that the anti-Navigator posting does more harm that good on these boards.

There are people going on that ship this week -- looking forward to it with much anticipation -- some are first time cruisers. Reading something this negative does not seem fair to them.

I was on the Voyager last year and, although I enjoyed the ship and the cruise very much, I only shared with a select few people the pictures I had of the filthy carpets (not just the stains that were bad enough -- but dirt in the corner of one of the restaurants) and some of the threadbare linens on the lumpy bed. It's okay to say it now since the ship has been in drydock and is all fixed up. I did tell people that the carpets, etc. needed to be upgraded -- just didn't make it sound really bad.

Not trying to beat you up:o just wish you had tempered it a bit. As a side note, we're going on the Navigator for the first time next week -- are very aware of the severe vibration but think we may prefer the smaller size.

TC2,

It is hard to be honest and not bother someone. Heck, I thought I was complimenting the Mariner more than anything else.:o

As you know, I try to be honest and give my opinion; which is but one of many. I certainly want to be a "cruise critic", but not a cruise hype-r (good or bad). I give my opinions here and to my clients and if I just "yessed" my clients I would have them for only one cruise because they are generally very critical thinkers. (What if you asked me and I said it was perfect and then you had an aft suite and vibrated constantly?)

The crew has expressed frustration because, for example, the lounge aft vibrates too much and it frustrates what can be done there...BUT I also found that the deck aft of the lounge was one of my favorite "secret" places to have a drink and watch the ocean before and after dinner. DON'T TELL ANYBODY!:)

The same vibration keeps Don Vito's from being arranged as they would like and affects the "show"...but I still enjoyed it twice on my last cruise (and had pre-dinner drinks by invitation a third).:)

The forward lounge is long and narrow, so Jerry (or whatever performer) can't really be seen well from most seats and you have to walk right past them if you come or go...but I usually got a good seat by the bar with a great view. And Jerry is great.:)

Is Navigator as good as the Mariner or the Diamond? Not in my opinion. Will it ruin a cruise? Nope, it just doesn't enhance it...IMHO.

Enjoy your cruise. I am sure it will be wonderful.:D

I was on the Navigator in December after the Drydock. I liked the intimate size of the ship and most of the staff were really great. However, even though we were midship, we experienced vibration and the creaking in the suite was quite loud some nights. The vibration in the show lounge was quite severe to the point that it interfered somewhat with a few events.

I had been on Voyager a couple of months before and thought everything about that trip was perfect. It also has a slight vibration but not as much creaking. I liked having the other two dining options.

The vibration is pretty much all the time, but at certain speeds it is far less. It is different from the expected vibration at low speeds when maneouvering, which I always find somewhat amusing that people comment about as it is a boat and that sort of vibration is common (though not uniform).

Would that alone keep me from cruising on Navigator? No; especially because it really is limited to the most aft sections.

On a slightly lighter note Voyager vs. Mariner.

The wonderful Captain Dag on Voyager is unique he is what makes Voyager stand out from all other cruise ships.

On the other hand on Mariner, the beautiful Louise our social hostess, Dear Barry Hopkins the cruise director, Christopher Blair and all the wonderful singers and dancers more than address the balance.

I have travelled extensively on both ships and can not wait for the voyager world cruise next year.

What a sad case I must be, but since I started cruising with Regent I just do not want to do anything else.

Love all the posts.

Eric -- thanks for the explanation and also for the tip about the aft lounge -- think we'll head there and check it out. Keep up the critique's!;)

And, of course, I am looking forward to your post-cruise review! I would love to hear (as maybe some others would) if you agree, disagree or have a different perspective. ;) :D

Enjoy!

What a sad case I must be, but since I started cruising with Regent I just do not want to do anything else.

Then I'm a sad case along with you. :) We were on the Voyager last summer in the Baltics; it was our first cruise ever, and our seasoned fellow passengers couldn't believe it. Their basic implication was, how did you START at the top? A lot of research, I can tell you. We didn't "do time" on any of the mass-market cruise lines - their offerings and size were never appealing to us - so this was a line (and a ship) that just seemed to have everything we were looking for.

We left the Mariner today and she was on her way to drydock.. All Bathtubs are being remover for shower only bathrooms.New Carpeting as well Flat Screen TV'S are being installed with WI-Fi in all suites. New carpeting is also going into all public areas. Great cruise this past week.

We left the Mariner today and she was on her way to drydock.. All Bathtubs are being remover for shower only bathrooms.New Carpeting as well Flat Screen TV'S are being installed with WI-Fi in all suites. New carpeting is also going into all public areas. Great cruise this past week.

All the cabins are being changed to shower only??!!

Please tell me that ALL suites on the Mariner are not having their tubs removed! I love taking a bath. We're booked on the Mariner for 19 days in January and February from Lima to Buenos Aires. We deliberately chose a suite that is supposed to still have a tub.

Not all suites on the Mariner are being converted to all showers - only some of them according to our TA.

We've been on all the current Regent Ships. PG, Mariner, Voyager and Navigator in less than 21 months time. The Voyager is newest. Public areas are all central to the atrium. Mariner's got a walkway off the library to the Horizon Lounge that I like. Coffee Bar is there and so is the internet cafe. I think it's the perfect ship for a longer voyage (assuming that the pod is fixed). Navigator is the oldest ship, but, sparkled from stem to stern in December and was most intimate. There really is so little difference between the cruise experience on these three ships. I prefer having MORE passengers and maybe the extra dining venues. I like the slightly larger rooms on Voyager - but not enough to not cruise on the others. Staff is terrific on all three. To me, the only downside of Navigator is that it doesn't have Latitudes or Signatures for the alternative dining. It's itineraries are priced less but are just as good.

No matter which ship, if you don't go aft, you will have an excellent cruise.

Thank you all for the helpful information. My husband and I are in the process of booking a cruise to the Baltic on the Voyager, and I now know that our choice of suite location will be fine, with no vibration problems.

Just a few days ago, I ran across an advertisement in The New Yorker for a Theatre Guild sponsored cruise on the Voyager, and was fortunate in reserving a suite on deck seven fairly close to midship. There were few options this close to the sailing.

After reading reviews of this lovely ship, we are excited at the prospect of enjoying time aboard her. We have sailed on the Silversea Silver Whisper, and the Voyager appears similar although a bit larger, which appeals to me.

Route6A

We just completed our first cruise ever, on the Mariner. I can say that everything was perfect. Our cabin was in the middle of deck 8 and we couldn't believe how totally quiet it was, always. The food at the main dining room was excellent, surprisingly good and the two specialty restaurants werel even better. The staff was perfect, happy, friendly, and so very anxious to please. I can't imagine ever cruising on any cruise line other than Regent. Preferably on the Mariner.

• 1 year later...

We were on Mariner from Lima to BA in Jan 08. We had a PH B suite, and a bath, NOT a shower. So not all the baths have been taken out. However I just got the big brochure for 2009 and to my horror I saw that almost all the baths will be taken out and replaced with showers. OK for some, but not for us!! There are still a few baths available, but it is really only one or two per category. We have sailed on Mariner three times and we love her - BUT I cannot face a holiday with only a shower available. Bit like a "Y" to me instead of a 5 star hotel!! it is too bad that they couldn't have made it 50-50 and so kept more people happy!!

Archived