Formal night

vfb2girls

I am posting this on the Alskan board simply because there are so many that have already done an Alaskan cruise. I would like honest opinions if my husband and myself will feel cheated if we do not attend the formal nights on our cruise. We are sailing on the Spirit this June and before our cruise we will have done a 12 day land tour on our own. So with that said, 19 days of packing is getting very difficult. Since neither myself or husband evern own anything that would be considered dressy we would have to go out and purchase this type of clothing and then drag it around with us until our cruise. Has anyone ever not attend the formal nights and regret it? Neither one of us have ever sailed before so we are not sure how we will like the whole cruising thing, if it was a sure thing I think I would be more apt to spend the extra money on clothes. We have already spent a small fortune not only on excursions but went out and bought some appropriate water-proof(gore-tex) clothing and shoes that we will get our use out of once we are through with our vacation. So any thought at all? I know we won't starve on the boat since there are tons of places to eat but are we really going to feel bad about not eating in the dining room? Is the food that superior to justify buying all these formal clothes and carting them around Alaska until we get on board? Thanks for any honest opnions.

And by the way BQ, I did take your advice about finding wind pants, Cabelas had some really nice ones on sale that I bought, two pairs of black ones, so I won't even bother taking jeans since these windpants are so lightweight, I plan on wearing my long johns underneath them to keep warm.

If you have never been on a cruise before, I think you would be missing something if you don't attend formal night. It is such a nice experience... even the wait staff have different uniforms to wear, and also the menu is usually the best choices on those nights.

That being said, I have had many thoughts about it also due to the packing factor on this cruise as opposed to a Caribbean , where all the clothes we pack are more lightweight . We are also on the Spirit. I have been considering bringing a black skirt I have which folds into nothing , but is a little flowy and can be dressed up. For dh, I have read on these boards that some of the men wear black pants, a dress shirt ( long sleeved), and a tie. Those wouldn't take up so much extra room. Just make sure he has a lighter weight pair of black shoes. I have found that on all the Caribbean cruises, dh and ds walk into the dining room and as soon as they sit down, the jacket comes off. Usually stays off.

After dinner we almost always change back into our casual clothes for the shows, anyways.

One big plus for getting all dressed up is if you would like to take some formal portraits, then you two will look your most spectacular all dolled up. Especially at Christmas time, we see a lot of families taking their big group shots while everyone is in their formal attire.

Some men rent a tux on board, and including the shirt and shoes, it is about $ 100.00. Saves the packing. I saw that more on the Mediterranean cruise.

I hope I don't get blasted for my opinion. I am still also deciding what to pack, but I know we do definitely enjoy eating all our dinners in the dining room!

We sailed last June and did not plan on going to formal night because we didn't have formal clothes. We did not go to the 1st night.

But on semi-formal night, when I had on a dress and the guys had on sports coats and ties, our waiter encouraged us to come to the second formal night for the filet and lobster and said "You have dress. You have tie. You come." So we did, and it was WONDERFUL!!!

The men had dark blazers - inexpensive ones that could work as jackets.

We saw ladies with black slacks and dressy blouses. You don't have to do the tux and ball gown bit, but I thought it was a shame when I saw guys in jeans. It really is a special experience, and dressing for it is part of what makes it special, in my opinion.

I agree with the above, the formal nights are very fun and should not be missed. We have done the tuxes in the past for my son and me but this year we are going to just wear the dark suits. You do not have to be dressed to the 9's so to speak. Avoid jeans and everything will be all right;)

Have a fantasic cruise

We have taken a variety of cruises and have found that there is a lot of variation in what cruisers consider "formal". If you have a pair of dressy black pants or skirt and a couple glitzy tops (these can be very lightweight or sheer) or dressy jacket, that should get you by and you won't miss the fun of formal nights. I have never cruised in Alaska before, but from previous posts have gathered that they are less formal than the Caribbean or Mediterranean cruises. My husband plans to pack a suit or sport coat, but the tux rental might be a good option since you're packing for such a long trip. I plan to take advantage of the laundromat on the ship to keep the amount of clothes I take to a minimum.

Thank you for your honest opinions, I talked to my husband this morning and he is the one that is more then willing to rent a tux for the formal nights, I am the one that has been hedging on it. I am not the most comfortable in a social setting and so afraid that whatever I choose to wear is going to look dorky on me. I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and go out and look for a dress, my husband would prefer that I wear a dress since he is willing to wear a tux.

If you do a dress, I would suggest a basic black cocktail dress. You could get a colorful shawl or sweater to go with it and then wear the same dress both nights. Just be sure you feel comfortable in it so you enjoy yourself!

We really enjoyed dressing up for the formal nights. My husband rented a tux both times we've cruised to Alaska and our then 16 year old had one last summer. They looked so handsome and I didn't have to hassle with trying to pack a suit or jacket. I brought one long black skirt and two dressy tops to wear with the skirt and they packed easily and didn't take up much space at all.

I think you will be glad you didn't miss it. It's really special and very festive. And JSPIRIT is right, the pictures turned out great!

You will not want to miss it, it is part of the fun of cruising! And the food is sooooo good! Find clothes that will not take up alot of room. And shoes that you can wear with alot. You will be able to wear the clothes on your next cruise. Cruising is addicting.......:)

And you can always do an elegant black skirt with two different tops if you don't want to wear the same outfit for both forl nights. Also, carwash or palazzo pants with a dressy top is a popular choice for formal nights as well. I think you'll be glad you decided to go to formal nights, and be sure to get lots of photos taken!

I have enjoyed formal nights as well as the traditional assigned dining times on previous cruises. We will have Anytime dining on our Princess Alaska cruise, so I doubt we'll eat with the same people twice. Therefore, I will bring just one nice black dress for formal nights. It's made of a knit fabric that can be wadded up in my suitcase and still look great. Not sure what my husband will do. He bought a tux for our Baltic cruise 2 summers ago, but I doubt he'll bring it for this cruise.

Please do not fret so over this, honey. Whether you go formal or not.....you will have a fabulous time. You can eat great food all over your ship. I can certainly understand not wanting to cart one more item of clothing that is not multi-use. We have cruised many times, twice in Alaska and we have gone formal on all but one. I have to say the formal nights were fine, but I am like you....it just doesn't ring my bell to get all gussied up to eat fine food. I can do that here at home and choose not to. Some folks love it. Hubby and I don't, but we love eating in the formal dining room at a large table with the same tablemates for the cruise.....that combined with the great food, is a treat. Last year we chose the alternative dining route and missed the formal dining room, but not the formal nights. But,,,you do not have to dress in Tux and gown on formal nights. My husband has worn dark suits, shirt and tie and was with the majority of the diners, and I wear dark dressy pants combined with different tops and fancy jewelry. We look great. All that said... it is really what You want to do. gg deep in the heart of E. Texas

I vote for going to formal nite too. It's a cool experience if you don't attend fancy functions a lot. However, most important to me, they usually have the best meals on formal nites.

Cruise ships usually have laundromats or laundry service on board. I'd pack with the expectation of washing some of your daily outdoor wear. Should give you enough room to throw in a dress. I'd rent for your husband since the jacket and dress shoes aren't worth bringing, but you may consider renting as well.

I don't like formal nights and tend to avoid them if I can. That said, if forced to go, I wear plain black knit pants that I can wear virtually everywhere and one of those silk tops with sequins. It packs to nothing and doesn't show wrinkles. Once you sit down, nobody sees what your wearing on the bottom anyway.

Another option is to stop in Anchorage and go to a store or the thrift shop and get something to wear on the cruise. You can always mail some stuff home from Anchorage as well, if you think you might have too much.

I never travel with more than one medium-sized suitcase, and it's mostly full of gear. I will bring a duffel bag with me and buy stuff as I go and use it for overflow. I might not be the best-dressed person on board with a different outfit for every occasion, but I zip through security and customs.

Wolfie - I loved your reply. And besides who really cares how we look. I used to think I needed at least one outfit or more each day. Now I take jeans and jogging suits and tees that I can mix and match. I have yet to get really dirty and besides there are washers on board. gg

My husband, regardless of the cruise area/ship, just takes a dark suit and 2 ties. He just changes out the tie for the two formal nights. No need to carry all that extra weight for another suit in the suit case if we don't need to. I usually take a long black skirt, kind of frilly around the bottom, and a couple of glitzy blouses then I just wear a different blouse to each formal night. We cruise quite a bit but have never done the tux/formal gown thing. Some people do and that is fine -and fun- but it just doesn't work for us. I agree - those clothes can get expensive. For the more casual nights, we just take a couple of pairs of pants or skirts (for me) and change out the top. Makes packing much easier - not to meantion lighter! Definitely avoid denim at any time in the main dining room though. But whatever you do, I would encourage you to definitely go to at least one of the formal night dinners. It really is a great experience!

Thank you for your honest opinions, I talked to my husband this morning and he is the one that is more then willing to rent a tux for the formal nights, I am the one that has been hedging on it. I am not the most comfortable in a social setting and so afraid that whatever I choose to wear is going to look dorky on me. I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and go out and look for a dress, my husband would prefer that I wear a dress since he is willing to wear a tux.

You can go a long way with a pair of black pants, dress black shoes and a Walmart special- shimmery top. :) Splashy can be good. :)

If you don't have it. borrow it, or head to Goodwill, Salvation Army, Consignment shop, etc. They are loaded with formal night cruise wear. :)

You can go a long way with a pair of black pants, dress black shoes and a Walmart special- shimmery top. :) Splashy can be good. :)

I "ditto" what Budget Queen said. Formal night does NOT have to be expensive, regardless of what some may say. There are some who look down their noses at those of us who choose to be frugal but they'll get over it! =)

I "ditto" what Budget Queen said. Formal night does NOT have to be expensive, regardless of what some may say. There are some who look down their noses at those of us who choose to be frugal but they'll get over it! =)

Frugal is what gets me all my trips!!!! :)

Once again thank you for all the great suggestions. I went ahead and ordered a black formal gown, it was on sale. My husband really wants to get dressed up, well actually he wants to see me dressed up since all I ever wear is black jogging pants and sweatshirts but when you are in the daycare business you don't have to look great. We are still undecided on if he is going to rent a tux or not, I am kind of leaning toward him buying a black suit, he can always use the black pants on the non-formal nights in the dining room. I also went ahead and found sone great black dressy pants and and nice top for less then 24.00, originally 74.00 so I am happy with that. Like others who have mentioned it I am trying to find clothes that I will wear again and that can be thrown in the suitcase and not worry about wrinkles. Packing for this trip has been the hardest vacation I ever packed for!

wow, bq, you read my mind. SIL did a simple black dress at her favorite second-hand store, they run a 99 cent day. she looked as good as any of the formals. i had a favorite pant suit (ivory and lace) for 2 of my cruisies, found at a department stores marked down from $120 to $29.99. (still have it just don't like packing it).

with age come wisdom, black slacks go everywhere. we keep an old jacket for hubby, but i don't think he would wear it, maybe carry it.

my only thing for formal night, i dry my hair before i go in. otherwise you might see me straight from the shower with wet hair:eek:

"formal" night can be fun, the special desserts get my attention. but still no reason for high heels, stocking, long gowns..be comfortable, but dress it up a bit.

Archived