A quote from Adam Goldstein regarding a West Coast Voyager ship...

Ella2

Just got out of a webinar featuring Adam Goldstein (president of RCCL) live from Liberty of the Seas, and Lisa Bauer, SVP for the company.

An agent asked the question as to when a Voyager-class ship would be ported in the Pacific...a question asked many times before. Mr. Goldstein gave a thoughtful response and concluded that by not having a Voyager-class ship in the Pacific, it was "a hole in our arsenal we'd like to address sooner rather than later."

Of course, that does NOT mean that an announcement is imminent or will even be made in the next couple of years (in fact, it's unlikely to be soon as most 2008 deployments are already announced.) Still, it's encouraging to those of us who would like to see a larger ship out here eventually. I wanted to share the news as stated directly from the top.

Just FYI. :)

Just got out of a webinar featuring Adam Goldstein (president of RCCL) live from Liberty of the Seas, and Lisa Bauer, SVP for the company.

An agent asked the question as to when a Voyager-class ship would be ported in the Pacific...a question asked many times before. Mr. Goldstein gave a thoughtful response and concluded that by not having a Voyager-class ship in the Pacific, it was "a hole in our arsenal we'd like to address sooner rather than later."

Of course, that does NOT mean that an announcement is imminent or will even be made in the next couple of years (in fact, it's unlikely to be soon as most 2008 deployments are already announced.) Still, it's encouraging to those of us who would like to see a larger ship out here eventually. I wanted to share the news as stated directly from the top.

Just FYI. :)

That is like a non-denial denial (from Watergate). He said what you wanted to hear without committing to anything.

I wish they would put one out there. For sure I would do the mexican riveria then. They would definately get a full ship, so why not?

The reason why not is there is no dry dock on the west coast big enough to handle a Voyager class ship. The closest dry dock is in Honolulu. Fine for scheduled maintenance, as they just schedule a cruise to Hawaii, then two weeks later a cruise from Hawaii. The problem is, what if the ship has an engine problem. It is a long (and expensive) tow to Hawaii.

There is a dry dock in San Diego that can handle a Voyager class ship, but the Navy is not willing to share.

Where do those freighter mega-ships go for drydock? You know, the ones they frequently show on Discovery Channel....there must be many of those in the Pacific, and some of them are monsters! :)

Leslie

Where do those freighter mega-ships go for drydock? You know, the ones they frequently show on Discovery Channel....there must be many of those in the Pacific, and some of them are monsters! :)

Leslie

Asia, Hawaii, who knows. But they are not getting dry docked in California, Oregon or Washington.

The reason why not is there is no dry dock on the west coast big enough to handle a Voyager class ship. The closest dry dock is in Honolulu. Fine for scheduled maintenance, as they just schedule a cruise to Hawaii, then two weeks later a cruise from Hawaii. The problem is, what if the ship has an engine problem. It is a long (and expensive) tow to Hawaii.

There is a dry dock in San Diego that can handle a Voyager class ship, but the Navy is not willing to share.

Get out your best vellum watermarked stationery, Cuizer.

Write a lovely and polite note to the Navy.

Mention that you are a proud, tax-paying American citizen who would like to see his tax-dollar-supported Navy Yard allow RC to use its facilities.

That ought to do it.

:D

Ok so I will mention this since it is a good place to mention it. While on the Enchantment the loyalty ambasador mentioned the Mariner was going to the West Coast once Independance took it's place. Now I know some speculation is out about where Independance will spend it's first few months, but who knows when it comes to FL. Also my brother was just on Mariner and heard the same thing onboard, but that Genesis was coming to PC in 2010....WHO knows!

Mention that you are a proud, tax-paying American citizen who would like to see his tax-dollar-supported Navy Yard allow RC to use its facilities.

That ought to do it.

Well, my tax dollars are going to support those air bases for landing the monsterous French build Airbus A-380 "airships". Why not use tax dollars to support the repair of European build cruise ships too.

Ok so I will mention this since it is a good place to mention it. While on the Enchantment the loyalty ambassadors mentioned the Mariner was going to the West Coast once Independance took it's place. Now I know some speculation is out about where Independance will spend it's first few months, but who knows when it comes to FL. Also my brother was just on Mariner and heard the same thing onboard, but that Genesis was coming to PC in 2010....WHO knows!

The loyalty ambassadors are some of the people responsible for starting a LOT of rumors about ships coming to the West Coast. I won't get my hopes up until I see proof on RCI's website ;) :D

###

The loyalty ambassadors are some of the people responsible for starting a LOT of rumors about ships coming to the West Coast. I won't get my hopes up until I see proof on RCI's website ;) :D

###

Very true. I have also learned over the years that the crew members are the last to know and most "don't" Know.

That ought to do it.

Unfortunately I can see the Navy's point. Something happens, a Navy ship need emergency repairs so it can put to sea and help with some problem 6,000 miles away and, "Sorry captain, but your dry dock is currently being used by a foreign registered passenger ship. Can you come back in two weeks?" I don't think I can print what would be the captain's reply.

Ok so I will mention this since it is a good place to mention it. While on the Enchantment the loyalty ambasador mentioned the Mariner was going to the West Coast once Independance took it's place. Now I know some speculation is out about where Independance will spend it's first few months, but who knows when it comes to FL. Also my brother was just on Mariner and heard the same thing onboard, but that Genesis was coming to PC in 2010....WHO knows!

First the Navigator was coming. Then the Adventurer was coming once the Independence replaced it in San Juan. Now its the Mariner once the Genesis replaces it in PC.

Meanwhile, I say nothing bigger than Radiance is coming until there is a bigger dry dock. So keep the rumors coming, because that is all that is coming in the near future.

Unfortunately I can see the Navy's point. Something happens, a Navy ship need emergency repairs so it can put to sea and help with some problem 6,000 miles away and, "Sorry captain, but your dry dock is currently being used by a foreign registered passenger ship. Can you come back in two weeks?" I don't think I can print what would be the captain's reply.

Agreed. I personally would consider a naval ship (like a Nimitz class carrier) needing the San Diego dry dock unscheduled to be a national emergency. It should have the cribbing in place for one of those all the time. I love cruising as much as anyone else on these boards, but I would never let a cruise ship even have the possibility of getting in the way. Even if that drydock sits empty most of the year, the risk is too great.

Independence's itineraries were just released for winter/fall/spring 2008-2009 -- 6 day western/8 day eastern from Fort Lauderdale.

Archived