Can We Stay on the Ship on a Back to Back

esther e

In February we are doing a back-to-back cruise in the same cabin, and I'm wondering if we have to disembark or can we stay up at the pool for the day? How does breakfast work? Any hints from those that have done this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.:)

Esther

We had friends on our last cruise who were doing a BTB and they stayed on. Breakfast is served until 8, I think.

They were unable to get the same room, so had to move that morning, but the staff gave them some help. They are older and he is in a wheelchair most of the time. Otherwise, I think you have to move yourself. But that doesn't apply to you.

And unless they've changed the rules, you don't have to leave the ship.

Wish I were doing a BTB! Lucky you. No, I take that back, I don't want to get older, and that's when we would be able to it. So I'll have to be content with 14 days for a few years......

Mo

Thanks, Mo. The only reason we're doing this is because I am a wonderful, unselfish, kind, considerate, thoughtful wife. My husband has bad allergies from Jan-Mar, and I decided I'd sacrifice for him and book a cruise for the month. Sigh......;)

On our cruise last month, I believe we were told by a couple doing a B to B that they had to disembark for security reasons.

I am sure we have many people with first-hand experience on the site.

In Jan we did a B2B and yes breakfast is to 8 am

We had to clear immigration at 7:15 (we are Canadian) not sure if the US passengers cleared off the ship.

We could stay in our cabin till they call for all passenger to disembark (about 9:30 am)

The concierge said we could just wait in the terminal and he would come get us to re-board, but we decided to sight-see so just went on our way.

If you don't have the same cabin ask to be wait-listed for the same one....if you do have to move the steward will help you.

You get your new "world card" a day or two prior to the end of the first cruise.

When you re-board just go through security at the pier no need to check in again

If you think of any other ?? i will try to remember what we did :D

We have done many B2B and never leave the ship..it is a great day for laundry, reading and just being lazy..you will love it!!

That day is like having a private yacht!!

Jan

I've done several (but not on O.); & never had to disembark. I really enjoy staying onboard during turnaround. As Jan stated, you've pretty much got the place to yourself. It's interesting to watch all the "behind the scenes" things that go on. Services will be limited of course. And it's a relief to be able to skip that 2nd lifeboat drill (orange just is not my color). ;)

And it's a relief to be able to skip that 2nd lifeboat drill (orange just is not my color). ;)

We still had to attend the 2nd muster drill.

Not sure why we had to disembark in LA when it seems people here have not had to on B2B.....:confused:

And it's a relief to be able to skip that 2nd lifeboat drill (orange just is not my color). ;)

I have read that even for world cruises (on other lines), passengers have to be redrilled every segment to comply with the law! Is that right, or have I read something wrong? Jancruz surely can answer that!

I have read that even for world cruises (on other lines), passengers have to be redrilled every segment to comply with the law! Is that right, or have I read something wrong? Jancruz surely can answer that!

Yes I can answer that..we were just on the 35 day Nautica and attended 3 (three) drills..passengers and crew must attend a drill every 15 days..

Jan

We did a back2back last year and had to disembark in Miami.........we weren't traveling on American passports. It will be interesting this year when we do our back2back if we have to get off the ship in Athens. Last year we had different cabins and the staff did the whole move for us while we were ashore, it was very smooth, so I'm not at all concerned about the same thing happening again this year. We just love back2backs and are thrilled we now have the time.

Yes I can answer that..we were just on the 35 day Nautica and attended 3 (three) drills..passengers and crew must attend a drill every 15 days..

Jan

Jan, I thought so, too, but was surprised on our 27-day Amazon that we only had one drill. I fully expect to have a muster on this b2b because it isn't just "one cruise."

Esther

There was only one passenger muster on the most recent Amazon cruise, as well. However, the crew had additional musters and drills at least twice, but the passengers were not part of it. Perhaps there is a difference in the rules depending on where the ship is located?

We did a back2back last year and had to disembark in Miami.........we weren't traveling on American passports.

Maybe it is a USA thing.

We did not have to get off in Copenhagen when we did a B2B on another cruiseline but in L.A. yes

Will find out next year for Miami!

When we did our 34 day Amazon cruise last year on HAL's Veendam, we had two lifeboat drills. I have always believed that you needed to have them every so many days. Perhaps it depends on where the ships are registered.

The crew also had numerous other drills throughout the entire cruise.

Jennie

My B2B cruises have all been transatlantics that lasted LESS than 15 days. I retained the same staterooms; & therefore the same muster stations. So that probably explains why no one reprimended me for not attending the 2nd drills. I sat in plain sight by the pool reading during the drill.

• 5 years later...

I am reopening this old thread to ask for new information about b2bs on Oceania. This thread is 5 yrs old.

Do I need to participate in a 2nd muster drill if they are less than 15 days apart?

Do I need to disembark before the 2nd leg of the trip.

I have booked the same cabin for both cruises.

Thanks for the advice from all of you experienced b2bers.;)

We have done many B2B and never leave the ship..it is a great day for laundry, reading and just being lazy..you will love it!!

That day is like having a private yacht!!

Jan

Awesome!! That would be so nice. We've had to disembark in Miami on a b2b and same thing in San Juan on a different cruise line. It would be nice to not get off.

The last time we got off in Miami (just to turn around and get back on), we had a horrible customs agent that ripped us a new one since we didn't declare anything. The cruise line told us not to declare anything since we weren't taking anything off the ship. The agent yelled at us and asked if the person on the cruise was wearing a uniform like he was wearing! I thought this guy was going to red flag us and had nightmares for 2 days on the next cruise thinking we were going to get nailed getting off the second cruise. Fortunately, nothing happened. We never break any rules or make purchases outside our limit... but it did bother us.

This is the first time we're doing b2b's when we don't have to change rooms. In the past we've always received new stateroom cards but we were changing rooms. Does anyone know...if you're going to be in the same room on multiple cruises, do you get one stateroom card good for the entire stay or do you get a new card for each voyage?

Aruba,

I can't answer your question because it is 8-9 years since we did a B2B on O and I don't remember whether we kept the same card or not. Originally we were supposed to change cabins but in the end we did not.

But I'm surprised at all the comments that you don't have to get off the ship because we were STRONGLY encouraged to do so! (It may well have been that they wanted us to leave but would not have insisted that we do so.)

We were at a Costa Rican port where there was literally nothing to do and so they created a tour for us. (I also don't recall whether we had to pay for it or not! Probably did ... I can't imagine a free tour when a bus ride was required to get us to San Jose from Nowheresville.)

Mura

This is the first time we're doing b2b's when we don't have to change rooms. In the past we've always received new stateroom cards but we were changing rooms. Does anyone know...if you're going to be in the same room on multiple cruises, do you get one stateroom card good for the entire stay or do you get a new card for each voyage?

You will get a new card for each segment.

Archived