Invitations for Inaugural Cruises

this is off topic in a way?

why does it matter to some how many posts they have- i don't understand - do you get a pin for being 5000 or 10 000 etc....? does cc send you a certificate saying congrats for reaching xxxxx # of posts?

thanks for any input- as i really have no idea about this :)

No special certificate or pin for a high post count...:D most of my posts have come from helping others on my roll call threads and I have been involved in some very active roll call threads the biggest being both my Freedom sailings from last year one of which was the inaugural sailing. When you have such active threads it is very easy for the posts to add up.

Like others have mentioned..I like to chat and help others and it is part of my personality so the posts add up without me even noticing.

I don't think any of us care about post count. I post when I have something to say, to ask a question or to answer a question. I don't post on just the RCCL board, but on quite a few more. I don't cruise on just RCCL, but on other cruise lines.

I think I'm typical of most of the folks that post a lot. We all seem to cruise frequently and use CC for information and discussion. Some of us also post a lot on roll calls for our cruises gathering information and getting to know the other psople on the cruise.

BTW, I've seen many posts here that are not favorable to RCCL and they've been around a long time.

Been an interesting discussion. We all have our biases, that's what makes life fun.

If becoming a D or D+ is so unimportant why do we see so MANY posts about people who about to become diamond members claiming whaHoo next cruise puts me at D. How many posts boast of taking a JR. Suite just to get 2 credits? RCL made a tier system of rewards not me:D

Well to my knowledge, but I might be wrong here, nowhere in the listed perks for C&A levels is stated that D or D+ members will get invited on pre-inaugural sailings. If talking about "importance" of becoming D/D+ to me the C&A level is more "important" because of some other perks I get, especially discount on balcony cabins.

However I very much appreciated the invitation to Freedoms maiden Voyage last year, but for sure I never expected it because of C&A level.

Because my feelings were indeed hurt I didn't say I won't sail with them. I have two cruises booked on RCL. I also have 2 cruises with other lines. Of course RCL can invite however they want but it doesn't change my feelings. I don't have any negative opinion of the people who were invited, they were fortunate and I don't hold anything against anybody. It did downgrade my opinion of RCL though. :DI still believe RCL erred by giving away some inagural cruises to people who were not TA"s and were not crown and anchor members.

If becoming a D or D+ is so unimportant why do we see so MANY posts about people who about to become diamond members claiming whaHoo next cruise puts me at D. How many posts boast of taking a JR. Suite just to get 2 credits? RCL made a tier system of rewards not me:D

I hope this post doesn't go poof. I have read nothing of a persoanl attack so far and hope it stays that way. We have different opinions. These boards should be available to exchange ideas and feelings in a posative way as well as exchanging advise. It seems posts that do not favorable portray the cruise line have a short shelf life.

I for one appreciate the tone of your post. And I understand the tier system that they have put into place. My question was, is there any reason to understand that one is entitled to these inaugural cruises? I mean I can get upset that my cell phone provider offers these great deals for "New customer's only" I mean like you, what am I? Chump change? LOL But it's the nature of the business. It appears to benefit RCCL to reward loyalty, but it also benefits them to entice new buisness...

My .02 is all.

I for one appreciate the tone of your post. And I understand the tier system that they have put into place. My question was, is there any reason to understand that one is entitled to these inaugural cruises? I mean I can get upset that my cell phone provider offers these great deals for "New customer's only" I mean like you, what am I? Chump change? LOL But it's the nature of the business. It appears to benefit RCCL to reward loyalty, but it also benefits them to entice new buisness...

My .02 is all.

Thank you for understanding. I never felt i was entitled to anything but i was hurt that I wasn't considered before others. I'm not cutting my nose to spite my face as someone suggested either, I merely expressed my feelings. It's healthy to have discussions with varing opinions and see how others read the situation. :D

All of us that feel that we are loyal supporters to RCCl............

I don't feel cheated or dissapointed that I could not make what I hear was nothing but quite a few drunk TA's. And yes........it sounds like everyone had a good time. The TA's are RCCL's biggest club!!

Rick

HI RICK!!!

I was on the LIBERTY OF THE SEAS for May 4th-6th...and I was very impressed with the fact that I did not see anyone who was really drunk and stumbling. Everyone seemed to be having a great time and everyone seemed to be well behaved. For this...I credit RCI...they did a fantastic job of keeping everyone happy. There are many factors at play when these invitations are sent out. Certainly the TA's are very important to the success of a 700 million dollar venture...but the guest list was not limited to TA's. The LIBERTY OF THE SEAS is simply AWESOME...and I think that RCI did a fantastic job in presenting the LOS to the public.

GREAT JOB RCI!!! and THANK YOU!!!:D

OBTW...I AM NOT A TA!!!

It occured to me that RCL not only reads these boards but monitors it carefully and frequently based on the CC invites to the inaugural. They also have to pass judgement on the posters to know who fit their profile to invite. This means we really do have some influence with the cruise line:D

I wonder how many were invited that thought the invite was trash & deleted? Out of curiosity what was the subject? I always delete emails that I don't know the person sending or stuff that goes in my trash folder.

I wonder how many were invited that thought the invite was trash & deleted? Out of curiosity what was the subject? I always delete emails that I don't know the person sending or stuff that goes in my trash folder.

To be honest with you, this was my exact thought when I first got the email. I must have read it over and over 10 times before responding to it. I then emailed LauraS through CC, still worrying that I'd given my personal info (just phone number and email addy) too easily. It was a bit scary to respond to at first. It was different than their usual newsletters as it was direct from LauraS.

When RCI called me (finally, I think I was next to last, but my own fault as I'd asked for email), they already had all our info and just verified it. So, I didn't have to give any information over the phone to them, they had everything on file from prior cruises.

It wasn't until after I'd replied that I found the thread on CC regarding the other invitees, then I knew it was all legitimate and booked our airfare.

I have no recollection of a bunch of drunks being onboard (although the first night I certainly had my share, so I'd not be the best judge ;) ). It was festive and celebratory, everyone was very happy and friendly. During the day, everyone was touring the ship, trying to see it all in a short amount of time. With such an enormous ship, it would be hard to comment on what was going on all over the place, so another persons experience would be quite different from ours.

It occured to me that RCL not only reads these boards but monitors it carefully and frequently based on the CC invites to the inaugural. They also have to pass judgement on the posters to know who fit their profile to invite. This means we really do have some influence with the cruise line:D

Methinks you have discovered a truth. (Just for a little levity);)

They would have to pay someone a lot of $$ to get the feedback and opinions they get from Cruise Critic posters for free.

Those of us that were picked really did wish that every one who posts to CC had been invited. However, we were not going to turn the invitation down except for extreme circumstances (as some had to do).

Because my feelings were indeed hurt I didn't say I won't sail with them. I have two cruises booked on RCL. I also have 2 cruises with other lines. Of course RCL can invite however they want but it doesn't change my feelings. I don't have any negative opinion of the people who were invited, they were fortunate and I don't hold anything against anybody. It did downgrade my opinion of RCL though. :DI still believe RCL erred by giving away some inagural cruises to people who were not TA"s and were not crown and anchor members.

I hope this post doesn't go poof. I have read nothing of a persoanl attack so far and hope it stays that way. We have different opinions. These boards should be available to exchange ideas and feelings in a posative way as well as exchanging advise. It seems posts that do not favorable portray the cruise line have a short shelf life.

I can understand why some people have their feelings hurt and I do think it is valid. I really don't know if anyone here can give you a definite answer to this issue. You would have to go to RCI and the department that selected the 75 (or so) CC members out of over 200,000 that are registered to find out the correct answer, all we have here is speculation.

There must have been something about those of us chosen that stood out. I don't think it was post count or content of our posts, although I do think many of us who were asked are usually trying to be helpful. I've even stated in many of my posts that I'm not interested in cruising on large ships, so go figure :confused:

I do hope that RCI invites you to a pre-inaugural in the future :)

Thank you for understanding. I never felt i was entitled to anything but i was hurt that I wasn't considered before others. I'm not cutting my nose to spite my face as someone suggested either, I merely expressed my feelings. It's healthy to have discussions with varing opinions and see how others read the situation. :D

I appreciate all of your comments and thank you for your honesty.

I also understand your argument completely. I'm a former quasi-competitive runner. At the end of each race, it was perfectly clear who would win the awards. It was plain and simple. Awards were bestowed on those with the fastest times. The clock was the judge. It was completely objective. There were no arguments or hurt feelings.

Awards were not given for...

"most likely to run faster in future races."

"best friend of the race director"

etc.

I think this is a fair analogy because the rules in a competitive race are known to all and observed. The problem here was that there were no rules (at least made know to the public).

I will say, however, that there are two issues. The first is with RCCL and their choice of certain C&A members over others. Like you, I believe the fairest way would have been to choose on the basis of cruise credits. BTW, this would have eliminated me since we just completed our tenth RCCL cruise.

The other issue lies with those who were invited through CC. Apparently, CC chose certain members to be invited by RCCL. In Biblical terms, "many are called, but few were chosen." The problem was that there were no rules, or at least, rules that were shared with CC members. Some have intimated that the chosen were those who were the "most helpful" posters. The problem with that is that it is totally subjective. Indeed, the vast, vast majority of CC members are trying to be helpful.

Like you, I bear no grudge to those who were selected.

I would just like to know what the rules were AND what they are so that I (we) can effectively compete in the next race.

I would just like to know what the rules were AND what they are so that I (we) can effectively compete in the next race.

Thats just it though....are there, or should their be RULES regarding this subject? I don't think so....

The other issue lies with those who were invited through CC. Apparently, CC chose certain members to be invited by RCCL. In Biblical terms, "many are called, but few were chosen." The problem was that there were no rules, or at least, rules that were shared with CC members. Some have intimated that the chosen were those who were the "most helpful" posters. The problem with that is that it is totally subjective. Indeed, the vast, vast majority of CC members are trying to be helpful.

But....CC did not select the invitees, RCI selected them. All CC did was to inform CC members of the invite, so they could allow CC to turn over our email addresses and full names to them. They emailed all of us, asking permission to give RCI this info. Even though RCI has all of my cruise information from prior cruises, they had absolutely no way of knowing who I was from my CC screen name. They looked me up after CC forwarded that info to them.

I wish LauraS would come here and explain it better than I can. From what I was told, RCI approached CC with the list of screen names, not the other way around.

I appreciate all of your comments and thank you for your honesty.

I also understand your argument completely. I'm a former quasi-competitive runner. At the end of each race, it was perfectly clear who would win the awards. It was plain and simple. Awards were bestowed on those with the fastest times. The clock was the judge. It was completely objective. There were no arguments or hurt feelings.

Awards were not given for...

"most likely to run faster in future races."

"best friend of the race director"

etc.

I think this is a fair analogy because the rules in a competitive race are known to all and observed. The problem here was that there were no rules (at least made know to the public).

I will say, however, that there are two issues. The first is with RCCL and their choice of certain C&A members over others. Like you, I believe the fairest way would have been to choose on the basis of cruise credits. BTW, this would have eliminated me since we just completed our tenth RCCL cruise.

For the 100th time, the invites came from the cruise line and not CC.

Here is a post from Laura Sterling.

Quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtaz viewpost.gif

Laura, if you are looking for more people to email, I'd LOVE to go!!!! ;-)

You have my email addy lol.

I'm not doing any "looking"....I'm just the messenger! sorry :(

Laura

End of Quote: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

allships.gifLaura

Community Manager

community@cruisecritic.com

Cruise Critic

The flaw in your argument is that this wasn't a race or competition where the invitees knowingly did anything special in order to get invited.

Those who got invitations did not alter their behavior or do anything they would not normally do, so that they would "qualify". Knowing some sort of rules in advance would most likely cause people to adjust their posting habits in order to win an invitation. Instead, the way it was done, the invitations were an unexpected honor and not a prize that anyone competed for.

But....CC did not select the invitees, RCI selected them. All CC did was to inform CC members of the invite, so they could allow CC to turn over our email addresses and full names to them. They emailed all of us, asking permission to give RCI this info. Even though RCI has all of my cruise information from prior cruises, they had absolutely no way of knowing who I was from my CC screen name. They looked me up after CC forwarded that info to them.

I wish LauraS would come here and explain it better than I can. From what I was told, RCI approached CC with the list of screen names, not the other way around.

Yes, as you said, they do have all our info from prior cruises. And I can guarantee they know who mommabean is. Unless RCI is dumber than we all think, which they aren't, we have to give our cruise critic screen name when we sign up for a meet and mingle. I would assume that each and every person invited to the pre-inaugural has been to at least one M&M.

I don't have an issue with it though. I just thought what is obvious to me should be pointed out.

Wow. I haven't been around for a couple of days and I missed all this excitement. It's been fun reading everyone's thoughts on the subject.

I know....me too! LOL :p

It was a wake up call of how much RCL values their frequent cruisers.

I can see where you're coming from as far as having a lot of cruises behind you on RCI...but, there's another side to the coin. Not everyone has the MONEY to cruise that often. But I think it was VERY wise for RCI to invite those on the boards that are very enthusiastic about the cruiseline but yet perhaps doesn't have the means to cruise as often as others might. Perhaps by the time I'm a certain age I will be Diamond also. However right now, we have a family to raise. Maybe there are other's whose children are grown & out of the house, and they themselves are retired and have the time AND money to cruise often. Not everyone has that luxury.

But I can tell you this....I noticed TA's onboard who pretty much seemed to know NOTHING about RCI nor did they seem excited enough to even care. Now for me, I was beyond ecstatic to be there. I have not shut up about the cruise yet. Liberty is my new love and we are definitely going back on her because of the exposure we had to her on this pre-inaugural.

As far as the posts counts, and someone saying that someone else had less than 1,000, I know that I've been on CC since 1998. They had done some kind of revamping of the boards a few years ago, and I lost all my posts, as did many many other members. So perhaps that person with 1,000 posts really actually had 4,000? Who knows. Who cares!

I just know that because of RCI's invitation, they have DEFINITELY sold me on the Liberty and we are bringing others with us. We are already bringing 4 family members with us on Explorer this October, and this is even with my other family members being VERY loyal to another cruise line of their preference. But I will not change. I love RCI's ships and the way they run their cruises, and because of that my family will be joining me. RCI gets the good end of the stick on this one.

My neighbor was invited on the Liberty of the Seas inaugural. I believe he had two rooms. His is was his TA. He had booked a few group cruises with this TA. I believe his last had 100 rooms. So another way of getting on the inaugural is to speak to your TA.

I've hesitated to post on this thread, but I must tell cruisePRN that I know exactly what she's feeling. We were lead to believe that as D+ we would be invited on Liberty's pre-inaugural. No invitation was forthcoming.

My life will go on. I will not die because of this. I must admit that I am/was very disappointed with RCCL. I was made to feel that my loyalty meant nothing to them. When I called to ask a question about the pre-inaugural, I was given lies and excuses. It was only when I told the CSR that I knew what she was telling me was not true that she admitted that she indeed had been misleading.

Yes, I enjoy the perks on RCCL. I have turned many friends into RCCL addicts. No, I don't feel as loyal as I did. We have two big cruises booked on RCCL and one on Azamara. I will not be cancelling them, but from now on, I will choose my cruises by itinerary as the first criteria rather than the cruise line.

CruisePRN, if you want to email me privately, my addy is my CC name at aol dot com.

We were lead to believe that as D+ we would be invited on Liberty's pre-inaugural. No invitation was forthcoming.

Being DP does not get you an invite to pre inaugurals.........last year, we didnt get on for the FR(and we had about 26 cruises at that time) and I wouldnt have gotten one to the LB thru my DP status(of 33 now) either.........nowhere does it say it is a perk........granted you have a pretty good chance if you have alot of credits(at least 40 or so)....but no guarantees....

horse.gif

Archived