Polls

elmorejj

Here goes. Am I the only party pooper on the board or are there any others who are getting tired of all the "polls"?

Why can`t a thread be started without a poll and then just make comments? Doing polls is a 3 part thing, Vote, go to results, then post a comment. Guess I`m getting lazier in my "youth".....jean :cool:

I kinda like them... the boards have been different lately. They sure beat what's going on over in the dress code clarification thread - which I thought was dead. Someone had to revive it - I wish I'd never even looked at it - let alone posted there...

I think actually S7S started our current poll "madness" to try to spice up the board and get off the ad nauseum conversation about tipping and dress.

I actually have enjoyed them, it really has brought an awful lot of folks out of the woodwork and until today no one seemed to get too nasty about their response.

Unfortunately, there is always a few that live to stir it up and always seem to make comments that are meant to "stir the pot". Again best thing you can do with those posters is NOT react!!! :eek: JMHO.......:cool:

Like everything else in life there can be too much of a good thing. I like a poll or 2 every once in awhile, but to poll everything gets silly. And sometimes not enough thought is put into the choice of answers.

I will admit one thing that is driving me crazy. I love most of the changes in the new board format, but I wish Walt would remove the option of fonts over size 3, or maybe even 2. Posting ordinary posts in large fonts and in color no less is annoying, difficult to read, and makes the whole thread a pain to go through. If someone has something worth reading it is going to get noticed and read in a normal size font. Size doesn't make it any better or important. ;)

Sorry I just posted a reply with the same opinion on polls, I did not read yours due to the fact I do not read anything that says polls. Can't we just go back to the old days, miss it. If it ain't broke don't fix it. It is nice that the people who do these boards put in their time, I appreciate that.

So sorry if my font and color bother some. I enjoy it and intend to use it!!

If it offends, you are welcome to skip past my posts!

If you don't like the new boards with the new options, you are welcome not to post, this is a free world. Sorry if this is looked at like a "me" attitude, but some just have to complain about everything!!:eek:

I very much like the choice of fonts and colors. It has absolutely nothing to do with making something seem more important. I puzzle why you would think that would matter? But, whatever.....

I find this print very easy to read and it is easy on my eyes. If it is not easy on anyone's, they certainly should not strain to read anything that is uncomfortable for them.

I assume that Laura and Walt etc have offered us this option to use or not as per each individual's choice. If you do not like it Peaches, you most certainly should not use it. And we wouldn't even know if you skipped by any post and didn't read it so it would not be hurting our feelings. :)

I like it.....and apparently Localady does too. :)

Seems we have a bunch of ‘prima donnas’ on board. It’s my personal feeling that polls (if well thought out), colors, font variations, sizes etc. are fine when used in moderation. Used too frequently, they lose impact……and it’s time consuming to post that way – not all of us have such time. ;) :eek:

• Administrators

I assume that Laura and Walt etc have offered us this option to use or not as per each individual's choice. If you do not like it Peaches, you most certainly should not use it. :)

Actually, the font selection option is a standard feature, and I didn't decide to offer it up as a fun item at all. I just left well enough alone, and as always we hope for the best.

BUT, as folks should be aware, we have a guideline about this very issue:

"The use of these features [graphics, rich text, colors] on our message boards can greatly enhance your online Cruise Board experiences. However, postings that are difficult to read, too BIG or too small, too light in color, etc., will be returned to you so that you may repost."

While a wide range of colors and fonts may be available, that doesn't mean they should all should be used. Just as we've counseled folks about the size of graphics and length of sigs on the old boards, the same should apply with regard to this issue.

Be considerate towards your fellow community members. Choose dark fonts to post in...don't post in curlyq scripts...etc etc. After all, isn't the intention of your posting, in its very basic form, that it be READ by everyone?

Laura

I think most of this will die down in a while. Most of us can remember when personal computers came along and offered hundreds of typeface choices beyond pica and elite (typewriter.) People used every sort of face and font they could in their newsletters and the like. Some were absolutely atrocious and almost unreadable! When laser printers came along, it got even worse for a while. Finally, the novelty wore off and most will now not bother to use much more than their standard preferred font.

Gosh, maybe now we need a poll about whether we think folks are too touchy, have a sense of humor, can recognize gentle sarcasm or teasing, etc.

Jean - I have been enjoying reading the various polls but they have been a bit thick these last few days. However, the changed focus and the banter that many of the polls have produced have been very welcome. We were taking ourselves way to seriously for a while there.

My guess is that this poll fad will run it's course in a few days.

Thank you Laura for the clarification of the boards rules and regs re fonts and colors. I had no problem with polls on the old board, but then again, they were few and far between and made a nice change. I also like all of the hillarious banter on this board, it really livens up things a lot....jean :cool:

Archived