Solarium-adults only?

Is this true? If children use the pool etc are they asked to leave, just wondering how strict the rules are...it sure would be nice to have an area that just adults can go to relax and use the pool "quietly"....

Also, is this area open air rather than a retractable roof that stays closed? I am hoping it is open.....thanks for any input.

It is SUPPOSED to be adults only.........depends on which ship on how strictly they enforce it........

The retractable roofs are not on the Voyager/Freedom class ships(they stay open).......but they do retract on the Radiance class......

Was on GOS and ROS this year and never did see children in the pool. The kids would walk through the area for pizza and burgers only and then leave. The roof was open most of the time.

Sorry, I should have mentioned the ship...Mariner of the Seas...so this is open air, how wonderful! I am happy now, thanks.

It certainly will be a pleasure to relax quietly and be able to relax in the pool without fear of being jumped on, half drowned etc! LOL

There are signs in the solarium indicating that the area is normally adults only and indicating, when and under what conditions, kids can use the pool. Enforcement of the rules can be spotty, but in my experience on Radiance class ships (which have retractable roofs), when the weather was inclement and families with children were allowed to use the solarium for limited amounts of time, at the end of those time periods, the families usually, and without any prompting, packed up their gear and left the area. I was quite impressed. I know, however, that not everyone believes the rules apply to them and in such instances the violators should be politely advised to leave the area.

Was on GOS and ROS this year and never did see children in the pool. The kids would walk through the area for pizza and burgers only and then leave. The roof was open most of the time.

We always wondered why Royal would put the pizza, hamburgers and hot dogs in an adult only area? Never made much sense to us.

We always wondered why Royal would put the pizza, hamburgers and hot dogs in an adult only area? Never made much sense to us.

I totally agree with you kewlguy, logistically it's not a good idea.

It's our favorite part of a Voyager-class ship, even with all the other great spaces. Will be looking forward to Serenade's solarium next year. Great relaxation. I agree, we have to be ready to prompt RCI to enforce their own rules. But no real problems so far, other than the chair hogs, which have been discussed elsewhere on CC ad nauseum.

The Voyager class ships have the best Solariums. Open roof for tanning! Radiance class rarely (if ever) opens the roof, and therefore tanning isn't possible.

If you see kids in there, tell them it's adult only. Sometimes there are no attendants around to do it.

The Voyager class ships have the best Solariums. Open roof for tanning! Radiance class rarely (if ever) opens the roof, and therefore tanning isn't possible.

If you see kids in there, tell them it's adult only. Sometimes there are no attendants around to do it.

The closed solarium on Radiance/Vision Class ships are exactly the reason we prefer them over the Voyager Class solarium. If we want to sunbathe we'll just go lay out on the pool deck.

We were on the Jewel this past February and had FANTASTIC weather yet the Solarium roof was closed each and every day. It's the reason we retreated to the pool deck and had to search hard for deck chairs. I would love it if they would have opened up the roof in this adults-only area. We did go to the Solarium for the crepes and veggie sandwiches, and don't recall any children in the area at all.

Does anyone have any experience with Radiance class ships in Alaska off season (in my case September)? My 7th grade daughter may be one of the only children on this cruise-we have year round school-so I am hoping if it is freezing she will be able to use the pool in the solarium (with me) occasionally.....?

Thank you,

Robin

So what food is there in the solarium? Is there another food station in there? I thought the only places to get food besides the dining room and specialty restaurants were JR and WJ.

On Vision Class they have pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs and french fries in the solarium. On Radiance Class they have a snack bar with sandwiches, salads and fruit.

Does anyone have any experience with Radiance class ships in Alaska off season (in my case September)? My 7th grade daughter may be one of the only children on this cruise-we have year round school-so I am hoping if it is freezing she will be able to use the pool in the solarium (with me) occasionally.....?

Thank you,

Robin

They generally have family swim hours during the day on Alaska cruises. On Serenade it was 12-4PM each day. :)

I consider it my "job" to rat on all the kids in the solarium!! I'm absolutely no fun. Actually the only time I ran the kids out was at 1am in the morning. A group of about eight were in the hot tub talking calmly between themselves and not making a racket at all. However, the oldest was probably only 13 and I thought it was well beyond their bedtime. The major factor was that I wanted the hot tub for me and my honey.

I was looking over my shoulder for the rest of cruise looking out for water bombs! :rolleyes:

On Vision Class they have pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs and french fries in the solarium. On Radiance Class they have a snack bar with sandwiches, salads and fruit.

And don't forget the crepes and the pizza also on Radiance Class in the Solarium!

I consider it my "job" to rat on all the kids in the solarium!! I'm absolutely no fun. Actually the only time I ran the kids out was at 1am in the morning. A group of about eight were in the hot tub talking calmly between themselves and not making a racket at all. However, the oldest was probably only 13 and I thought it was well beyond their bedtime. The major factor was that I wanted the hot tub for me and my honey.

I was looking over my shoulder for the rest of cruise looking out for water bombs! :rolleyes:

Ok, now that's funny. :D

On Freedom there were NO kids in the Solarium. And they had deck patrols trying to calm the chair hogging too. :D

Wow...this past cruise on Enchantment was the first time we ever saw anything being enforced. They are pretty strict on Enchantment about a number of things. They were kicking people out of the area of the pool if they had a drink in their hand (plastic cups even, not glass), and I thought these signs were great:

155340487-M.jpg

And:

155346398-M.jpg

Only thing I wish they would have enforced was people who were smoking in the non-smoking area. :(

Do I note a bit of sarcasm? Or are you serious? lol I can't tell on these boards. :p

I'm totally serious. Enchantment always had a reputation as an "anything goes" type of ship. We witnessed this first hand in July 2005 in the solarium where it was a free for all with kids doing cannonballs in the pool as well as infants in diapers in the jacuzzi's. We vowed from the moment on never to sail during the summer months ever again and have stuck to that promise to this day.

Archived