Solarium-adults only?

I'm totally serious. Enchantment always had a reputation as an "anything goes" type of ship. We witnessed this first hand in July 2005 in the solarium where it was a free for all with kids doing cannonballs in the pool as well as infants in diapers in the jacuzzi's. We vowed from the moment on never to sail during the summer months ever again and have stuck to that promise to this day.

Well then you'll be glad to know there are at least two pool attendants VERY visible and very busy at their jobs! I thought they did a great job. :)

Well then you'll be glad to know there are at least two pool attendants VERY visible and very busy at their jobs! I thought they did a great job. :)

Yes, I've had a few run ins with pool attendants not doing there jobs. I think enough people have probably complained and the cruise line finally took some action. Glad to hear this.

We always wondered why Royal would put the pizza, hamburgers and hot dogs in an adult only area? Never made much sense to us.

Yet another reason we prefer the Voyager class Solariums to the Radiance class ones--No food station.

beachchick

Radiance OTS had the roof retracted on the solarium a month or so ago on our Panama Canal cruise. It was the first time I had seen one open in a while. It was nice to let some of the chlorine smell escape!

We always wondered why Royal would put the pizza, hamburgers and hot dogs in an adult only area? Never made much sense to us.

Agree 200%. There was always a long line of kids waiting to be served. Kids being kids, it was often a noisy disruptive line.

Completely undermines the "adults only" atmosphere and makes absolutely no logistical sense.

Are they still doing it this way in newer ships? Our only experience was Enchantment.

My DH & I prefer the solarium for the peace and quiet. We really don't care whether there's a roof or not. We usually find a nice quiet corner and settle in for a few hours of chatting, reading, swimming and of napping. It really has become our preferred spot on the ship. And, we're not above chasing away kids and have done it on several occasions.

d

Agree 200%. There was always a long line of kids waiting to be served. Kids being kids, it was often a noisy disruptive line.

Completely undermines the "adults only" atmosphere and makes absolutely no logistical sense.

Are they still doing it this way in newer ships? Our only experience was Enchantment.

The problem is the ONLY place to get pizza on the Vision Class ships is in the solarium. The kids have no other choice of where to go. I'd like to meet the genius who made that boneheaded decision.

Radiance OTS had the roof retracted on the solarium a month or so ago on our Panama Canal cruise. It was the first time I had seen one open in a while. It was nice to let some of the chlorine smell escape!

What chlorine smell? The pools on Radiance are treated sea water. If there is any use of chlorine it is very minimal, and certainly not comparable to what one encounters when dealing with most fresh water pools. I can find most freshwater pools blindfolded due to the heavy chlorine used in them.:)

We were on the GOS in May, and honestly, we never saw any kids in the solarium pool. It is very quiet in there, almost too quiet. We went in there one night, only because we were out in the other hot tubs and they started draining on us while we were in them. We then went to the solarium and swam in there for a little while, but personally, I like being out by the main pool. I like the music, the activity, it was way too quiet in there.

No, on the Voyager and Freedom class ships, the only thing in the Solarium is the bar. You can get pizza & other snacks either in the Windjammer or on the Promenade in Sorrento's or Cafe Promenade. :)

OK, I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but here goes..... Since I have paid full adult price for my 2 kids (14 and 16) in their own cabin, why shouldn't they get to use the adult pool? (For those of you who are ultra picky and say they shouldn't have their own cabin let's say, for the sake of argument, that one of them is in a cabin with me and one in a cabin with my husband - yes we booked 2 cabins and all at full adult rate). I'm not talking about kids who'll be messing about and causing a commotion, but will want to read a book, listen to music and then occasionally take a dip in the pool. Why, having paid the same as any adult, should they be excluded?

We have seen attendants chase children away every single time in the solarium. They do it nicely but firmly. The amazing thing is that the children have always been with parents who have been argumentative and/or oblivious to the attendants. The signs are clearly displayed and the solarium rules are in the compasses. I was going to find an attendant on one cruise because the children were running and screaming - and the adults had to get out of the pool because of all the splashing - but the attendants moved in within 10 minutes. The father was a jerk - nothing like showing your children to have good manners and obey the rules by example. :)

OK, I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but here goes..... Since I have paid full adult price for my 2 kids (14 and 16) in their own cabin, why shouldn't they get to use the adult pool? (For those of you who are ultra picky and say they shouldn't have their own cabin let's say, for the sake of argument, that one of them is in a cabin with me and one in a cabin with my husband - yes we booked 2 cabins and all at full adult rate). I'm not talking about kids who'll be messing about and causing a commotion, but will want to read a book, listen to music and then occasionally take a dip in the pool. Why, having paid the same as any adult, should they be excluded?

Because the pool is for adults only :rolleyes: You are the one who decided to pay full price for them, not us nor RCI.

###

I think the Living Room area for teens on the Freedom classes are probably among the COOLEST places on the ship, but yet as an adult, I can't go in obviously. Rules are rules, and that's the way RCI wants it. If I'm not cruising with my daughter, then I LOVE having a place that's quiet without, not only screaming kids, but kids voices in general. :D

Bobal - adults are not allowed to participate in the special teen and children activities. Your argument doesn't hold up as far as paying the same fare - they can't gamble or drink in the bars. Adult areas are simply that - an adult area. There are plenty of options for them to do the activities you described but only one pool where adults can ensure having a quiet time. No one ever said life was fair (to quote my mom). The other pools are great and they can can read, listen to music, take a dip in the pool and relax there.

OK, Why, having paid the same as any adult, should they be excluded?

They should be excluded because my husband and I paid for our cruise too, and we are entitled to stand in a calm pool of water without getting splashed and without being subject to a lot of noise.

If your teens see you ignoring a rule, they will ignore yours. Do them a favor and do not teach them to be pushy. There are many pools for them, but only one small one for older passengers.

I am sure there are very mature teenagers who would love a quiet place to read a book, but unfortunately they are in the minority usually.

The cruise line can't be put in a position where it picks and chooses which teens can stay, and which can't. They need a bright line if they want to ensure and adult only atmosphere in at least one pool area - hence the no kids rule. Fortunately, there are many other quiet spots which your teens can enjoy.

* Dons fire proof suit, loads large squirt gun *

The Solarium is 16 and up though isn't it? I thought I have read that many times.

This is a fact even though I don't consider a 16 year old an adult.

This is a fact even though I don't consider a 16 year old an adult.

I don't consider a 16 yr old to be an adult either, I was surprised when I read that it was 16 and up. We leave Sunday and have a 16 yr old but I think he will be living on the basketball court, not the Solarium.

* Dons fire proof suit, loads large squirt gun *

The Solarium is 16 and up though isn't it? I thought I have read that many times.

Copied from the RCI website, Liberty of the Seas, Deck plan info, Deck 11:

Solarium The Solarium pool area is an oasis for guests 18 and older, complete with towering palm trees, hammocks and cantilevered whirlpools that extend twelve feet beyond the sides of the ship. The whirlpools' wide panels of glass allow a breathtaking view from the horizon to the ocean below.

I didn't check any of the other ships and don't know what's been said in the past, but this is the info re: the Liberty's Solarium.

Gosh, when I went to bed last night there were only 4 responses....back home from work now, and wow!

I sure do appreciate your responses and input, some of you have absolutely stated what I wanted to but didn't, regarding the joy of having a "quiet" place to relax, tan and be in the pool without the screaming, splashing, fear of being jumped on etc..

I am thrilled that RCCL have this option for adults only. To be able to relax in the hot tub also without sharing it with a bunch of squealing young children etc...wonderful.

Copied from the RCI website, Liberty of the Seas, Deck plan info, Deck 11:

Solarium The Solarium pool area is an oasis for guests 18 and older, complete with towering palm trees, hammocks and cantilevered whirlpools that extend twelve feet beyond the sides of the ship. The whirlpools' wide panels of glass allow a breathtaking view from the horizon to the ocean below.

I didn't check any of the other ships and don't know what's been said in the past, but this is the info re: the Liberty's Solarium.

Not sure if they changed the policy fleet wide or just on the Liberty. It's always been 16 on every other ship we've been on.

Archived