Live from Journey June 2nd sailing

cruzadict

We are currently on the 2nd June sailing and on our way to Horseshoe Bay so will make this posting quite short. Ship is beautiful, food is very good but not exceptional - no better than previous celebrity cruises. We are sky suite number 8049 which is very convenient but can be a little noisy from the pool deck above. The new sun beds have still not arrived but using the old ones is no big deal. However, we do find the dress code not to our liking. If Celebrity, or Azamara, want to put this ship into the"deluxe" bracket then they need to enforce the dress code at nights, especially in the dining room and bars. I am sure that some people do not know the meaning of "country club casual". To me it does not mean jeans, shorts and T shirts. This would make me think twice about returning to the JOurney. Cruise itself is fantastic, have never been to Bermuda before and have fallen in love with it. Any questions please feel free to ask but cannot guarantee when I will get back to you as not flying home to UK but cruising back on QM2 - what a lucky girl I am!!!

We are currently on the 2nd June sailing and on our way to Horseshoe Bay so will make this posting quite short. Ship is beautiful, food is very good but not exceptional - no better than previous celebrity cruises. We are sky suite number 8049 which is very convenient but can be a little noisy from the pool deck above. The new sun beds have still not arrived but using the old ones is no big deal. However, we do find the dress code not to our liking. If Celebrity, or Azamara, want to put this ship into the"deluxe" bracket then they need to enforce the dress code at nights, especially in the dining room and bars. I am sure that some people do not know the meaning of "country club casual". To me it does not mean jeans, shorts and T shirts. This would make me think twice about returning to the JOurney. Cruise itself is fantastic, have never been to Bermuda before and have fallen in love with it. Any questions please feel free to ask but cannot guarantee when I will get back to you as not flying home to UK but cruising back on QM2 - what a lucky girl I am!!!

I want to clarify..are you saying that people are wearing jeans, shorts and T-shirts in the main dining room at night?

Jan

I will never understand why people have to dress in shorts and t-shirts for dinner. It's no big deal to put on a pair of khakis and a polo shirt or sport shirt for men, and a pair of slacks with a nice top or a sundress for ladies.

My girlfriend and I sailed the Regent Navigator to Bermuda a few years ago, and their dress code was also country casual. The same problem existed and we were in the minority of guests being dressed properly for dinner.

The cruise lines don't want to offend anyone by enforcing the dress code, in the meantime they offend many of us.

Ginnie

We are going to be in 8056 one day soon - tell us what the sky suite is like and what special the butler has done for you or what extra perks you think you are getting

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!!

We found on last week's cruise that there was one family, older couple with two men in their twenties, where all the men came to dinner in jeans several nights. I think they need to enforce the rules, most people were dressed appropriately, and we did have one night they called "Putting on the Ritz" where many people dressed as they would for a formal night.

Christina

I too prefer the more "dressed" style rather than the shorts, hawaiian shirt and sandle set in the dining rooms.

DW and I actually made our own dress-up night twice on the Journey just to satisfy ourselves.

Still, the cruise was fine,and the service was just great.

-Jim (cabin 6002):)

I too prefer the more "dressed" style rather than the shorts, hawaiian shirt and sandle set in the dining rooms.

DW and I actually made our own dress-up night twice on the Journey just to satisfy ourselves.

Jim,

I see that you were in a royal suite (6002). Another thread commented that the royal & penthouse suites were "shabby". Could you give me your impression. My DH & I are in 7004 in October. Thanks.

We are going to be in 8056 one day soon - tell us what the sky suite is like and what special the butler has done for you or what extra perks you think you are getting

The butler is your cabin steward dressed in a tux once in a while !! I was in 8039 last week - great room ! (Lousy Shower !)

You get fruit once in a while - some LOUSY canapes each day and some mediocre snacks late - though the chocolate covered strawberries were great !

Larry

so Larry it is not like a suite in other X ships where I get a butler and a cabin steward. The booking website says for suites it is an "enhanced butler experience"

Hi Crusie Addict - Can you tell us what is available from room service as far as breakfast? We've enjoyed our breakfast on our balcony on past cruises where we had booked Concierge Class and are worried about some posts that imply that only a continental breakfast is available through room service. Please advise and thanks for posting!

Helo there

Just returned to New York so will do a fuller review once I get home. Yes Jan, shorts jeans and t shirts are being worn in the dining room for dinner. And yes it is only continental breakfast served in cabin. No eggs, bacon etc. Going now to buy tickets for show this evening before sailing home tomorrow on QM2

Marilyn

Helo there

Just returned to New York so will do a fuller review once I get home. Yes Jan, shorts jeans and t shirts are being worn in the dining room for dinner. And yes it is only continental breakfast served in cabin. No eggs, bacon etc. Going now to buy tickets for show this evening before sailing home tomorrow on QM2

Marilyn

While jeans and shorts in the DR is not classy and will bother me to see it, I'm sure it's not the majority of pax onboard doing it. Also, I don't know why anyone would pick a vacation based upon what others wear to eat dinner. Seems like the wrong motivating factor to me, unless your major reason to vacation is to give your dressy clothes a chance to make it out of the closet once in a while. Then cruising on a ship that offers country club casual as it's dress code, is not the ship for you. Happy Sailing!

Jim

Did you have breakfast in you cabin? If so, did you have the same choices as reported by Cruzadict? Just continental breakfast. We always have breakfast in our cabin, I can’t remember ever going to the main dinning room for breakfast.

If you are the type who views the glass as half empty, then these things will bother you. If you see the glass as half full, then ignore the wardrobe slackers, wear whatever makes you happy, and enjoy fabulous (yes, better than other X ships) food, great wine lists, warm decor and charming staff. I highly recommend the pairing menu at Aqualina, one of the specialty restaurants. Ask that Cem serve you and Maja be your sommelier. Domenique, the Maitre 'd is a delight! Have a wonderful trip, and enjoy!

Scubanurse

aka Ellen (the karaoke girl!)

Not only is there only continental breakfast but for 2 mornings they lost our breakfast request and we had to eat in the self service!!! And this is supposed to be "deluxe" cruising.

I hope that the breakfast menu will change or I can see it now, getting up early going to the buffet making two trays and bring them back to the room. That dose not sound like fun. Maybe this will be one of those tasks that I can give to the Butler.

Looks like Journey is getting it's act together if the only complaint from June 2nd cruise is that some people were dressed inappropriately for dinner and breakfast for dining in your cabin has a limited menu.

I hope that the people who found this to be an inconvenience put it on their comment card so that Azamara will reevaluate their menu for cabin service in the future. I for one never use this service but it is something that is important and enjoyed by a lot of other passengers.

The dress code is something that can be address by a more specific definition of what is acceptable and what is unacceptable. Perhaps a sign at the entrance and daily reminder in each days activity sheet. At some point a "I am sorry but you can't go in the dining room while wearing those jeans, t-shirt or whatever. On the other hand sometimes there is an exception because of lost luggage or other circumstances that we are not aware of.

How expensive is a bottle of wine in Discoveries or the specialty restaurants? For example, what would be the cost of a decent bottle of Chardonnay? And is it true what some cruises have said..... that a cocktail will set you back $10-$12? :(

Looks like Journey is getting it's act together if the only complaint from June 2nd cruise is that some people were dressed inappropriately for dinner and breakfast for dining in your cabin has a limited menu.

I hope that the people who found this to be an inconvenience put it on their comment card so that Azamara will reevaluate their menu for cabin service in the future. I for one never use this service but it is something that is important and enjoyed by a lot of other passengers.

The dress code is something that can be address by a more specific definition of what is acceptable and what is unacceptable. Perhaps a sign at the entrance and daily reminder in each days activity sheet. At some point a "I am sorry but you can't go in the dining room while wearing those jeans, t-shirt or whatever. On the other hand sometimes there is an exception because of lost luggage or other circumstances that we are not aware of.

I agree with the lost luggage theory because it did happen to us when we sailed on the Millinium a few years ago. In our case our luggage just didn't make it to our room before dinner the first night, so we had to wear what we had on to the dinning room. We did feel very uncomfortable and made sure that everyone at our table of eight knew the reason why. Luckily our luggage was in our cabin when we returned to it but I have heard of others who's luggage never arrives! That would kill me after all the time I spend shopping and planning on what to bring on the cruise in the first place. I hope it never happens to me!

Archived