Is this really going to be my cabin?

LaBayouBabe

I booked a GTY balcony cabin (BE) back in January of this year. Apparently there are only 4 on the whole ship. I checked my on-line registration today and found that my cabin assignment had changed from GTY to 8020. I checked it out and that cabin is a BE. Will this truly be my cabin (if so, that's fine) or will I have a chance of being upgraded to at least a BD or better before we sail? Just curious, as I have no prior cruising experience.

Thanks for the replies. I do feel like I was a little mislead, but I guess I'm an easy target. However, I am already finding reasons to like that cabin - (1) it's in front of the elevators so not too many people will have to go past it;:) (2) it's on the same deck as the Blue Lagoon (actually, that might NOT be a good reason); :p and (3) it's near the middle (from top to bottom) so the rocking from side to side may not be so bad).:D As I like to say, it could ALWAYS be worse!

Why do you feel like you were mislead?

It's just the way the TA explained it to me. I've never cruised before and didn't understand how any of it worked. She led me to believe that by booking so early, I would be virtually guaranteed to get something other than the very bottom of the line. But that's okay - it really could be worse! I might have been right by an elevator or something!:eek: After this cruise, and after all of the reading I have done on these boards since booking, I will know better next time.:D And who knows, we haven't sailed yet!;)

I booked a GTY balcony cabin (BE) back in January of this year. Apparently there are only 4 on the whole ship. I checked my on-line registration today and found that my cabin assignment had changed from GTY to 8020. I checked it out and that cabin is a BE. Will this truly be my cabin (if so, that's fine) or will I have a chance of being upgraded to at least a BD or better before we sail? Just curious, as I have no prior cruising experience.

Are you referring to a category or the booking? You have me confused.

Let's say it is the Conquest, balcony 8020, that is a 8C category. If you booked lets assume a general balcony guarantee anything other than a 8A would be a upgrade.

Did you book a specific category? Maybe someone else can explain your post to me, Im clueless since I never booked a balcony, can you book which deck you want? Which ship is it?

I guess it doesnt matter as the question is if that is more than likely your cabin assignment which it is, Id just like to know more about how to book a balcony. Can someone enlighten me. I always want to learn more about cruises and how to book them.

It's just the way the TA explained it to me. I've never cruised before and didn't understand how any of it worked. She led me to believe that by booking so early, I would be virtually guaranteed to get something other than the very bottom of the line. But that's okay - it really could be worse! I might have been right by an elevator or something!:eek: After this cruise, and after all of the reading I have done on these boards since booking, I will know better next time.:D And who knows, we haven't sailed yet!;)

Unless I misunderstand, you have been assigned what you paid for. You haven't been cheated in any way. It is always the best course to book the minimum category cabin in which you can be happy. All you are guaranteed is to be assigned at least that category. Do you know you CAN book a specific cabin by number? You can choose the exact cabin you want when you book. You don't have to book a guarantee and take chances on what cabin you will have. Did your TA explain that to you?

If your TA told you that you were 'vitually guaranteed' an upgrade, you need a new TA.

I have no idea what you paid in January for your GTY cabin, but I checked your cruise and the current price for an AG mini-suite is only $200 more per person than your BE balcony cabin. This is less than the regular balcony cabins at this point (except the GTY BE rate).

The difference is more cabin space and a larger balcony, a larger bathroom with a tub rather than just a shower. I know if I were booking this cruise, I'd definitely take the larger cabin for this price. I have no idea if NCL has any perks for suite passengers, some cruise lines do.

It might be worth a phone call.

I don't know why you feel mislead by your TA, unless they told you a GTY would get you a better grade cabin. We've booked a couple of GTY's and always had what we paid for.

Hi Sherri,

Cabin 8020 looks like a good cabin to me! It's a little bit forward, but that shouldn't be a problem. You have other cabins above you and the Promenade deck below, so it should be quiet. I think you'll be happy with this cabin.

I also understand what your TA told you and have seen the same thing posted here on CC's. Often, if you book a category with a small number of cabins you'll be "upgraded" to something "better". On our first NCL cruise we were offered an "upgrade". We didn't take it as the cabin offered was under the theater!

Have a wonderful cruise!

The light is dawning....duuuh, I see the last two posts refer to a NCL booking and I assumed it was on a Carnival ship. My bad.

sorrrrrry. I have the posts set up so I cant see the signatures, so maybe that's why Im missing something. I was trying to get it so I could see more posts per page.

Agree with Sail ... book what you will be happy with. Any possible upgrade/upsell should be a pleasant surprise and bonus. By picking a specific cabin rather than a guarantee, you will have control over your shipboard location and what's around you.

If indeed you believe you were misled, the fault lies with your T/A and not with the cruiseline.

Thanks for the replies. I do feel like I was a little mislead, but I guess I'm an easy target. However, I am already finding reasons to like that cabin - (1) it's in front of the elevators so not too many people will have to go past it;:) (2) it's on the same deck as the Blue Lagoon (actually, that might NOT be a good reason); :p and (3) it's near the middle (from top to bottom) so the rocking from side to side may not be so bad).:D As I like to say, it could ALWAYS be worse!

I understand your confusion at the whole guarantee thing and why you felt a little misled. Totally understandable for a NEW CRUISER. The whole GTY thing if not well explained is confusing... can seem like a great deal and can be but there is a risk. But you sound like you have the right attitude and a great attitude is 95% of a good cruising experience. The other 5% is tequila!! :D

I always book GTY. As you are probably learning, the class is what you are paying for. I've never been upgraded with the exception of specials for frequent cruisers. I don't care about the location and don't see much of a risk as I'm just happy to go. There is no rhyme or reason for upgrades but most of them are in the same class just higher up, rarely to different type of cabins.

You're fine and have fun on your cruise.

Archived