The November Surprise - Planning Continues...

diveoz

Nine years ago my wife and I went on a Carnival Cruise to the Mexican Riviera and while I had a great time, my wife was pregnant with our second child (we've had one more since), so she had a bit less of a good time. Actually she had many complaints ranging from a mix of seasickness and morning sickness to cramped quarters, the wild party atmosphere and so on - she hated Carnival, not cruising, and I have long wanted to do another cruise to show her that.

But to get her on another cruise had to be both a surprise and, more importantly, the right surprise, else I would have thirty to forty years of remaining life without cruising.

In any event about a week ago I was reminded of my wife's upcoming 40th birthday in November. At long last I had the chance I was waiting for!

I knew in advance that we were no longer the party animals we once were. I also knew that we would like a higher level of service and ambiance. Carnival was out!

Somehow I stumbled on these boards and I haven't stopped reading since. You are all so incredibly helpful and detailed in your posts. Thank you!

Now the plans...

First and most importantly, the three kids are not going! If that is at all vague, let me express it another way. The kids are to be offloaded and dumped on somebody else’s shoulders. God speed, bon voyage, we're outa here! Mommy and daddy are heading out into the cruel world to practice being husband and wife, trading-in our yelling voices for laughter and adult conversation.

Anyway, they're not going!

I have booked the November 17th sailing of Zuiderdam to the Eastern Caribbean. I am also very excited to say that after bouncing back and forth between Superior and Deluxe Verandah Suites, I coughed it up and Settled on a Deluxe Verandah Suite.

So, there are the plans. She still doesn't know, so don't say anything if you see her. I will tell her in about five months so she can help to plan the activities, but for now this is all my fantasy and I'm loving it!

And once again, I say thank you for all your past writing which are the basis of that fantasy.

Jim

I don't believe for a minute that you can keep quiet about this for 5 months!! :D :D

That was my thought as well. I just took mom on an Alaska Noordam. I got us upgraded and SOMEHOW kept my big mouth shut until we got to the cabin...but that was only a couple of weeks and she at least knew about the trip.

But if you can keep it a secret I say more power to you! What an amazing gift you're giving....make sure you do the unlimited spa package whenyou get onboard as well...it's worth every cent!

I once asked a mentor of mine, who has been happily married (with 4 kids) for many, many years, what was the secret of a good marriage. He replied without hesitation that it was going on a trip without the kids from time to time.

You are doing a WONDERFUL thing, and your wife is indeed a lucky woman. Have a fabulous time.

I once asked a mentor of mine, who has been happily married (with 4 kids) for many, many years, what was the secret of a good marriage. He replied without hesitation that it was going on a trip without the kids from time to time.

You are doing a WONDERFUL thing, and your wife is indeed a lucky woman. Have a fabulous time.

What a guy!!! What a great surprise. I like your style....... if you're going to do it, you do it right. A beautiful ship; a great cabin; on HAL!!! Perfect.

Have the best time keeping your secret and when you simply HAVE to talk about it, come here. We'll be delighted to share your secret and your excitement.

Your wife is a very lucky woman. I have a word of advice for you - don't tell her about these boards!!! As stated before, when you get near to bursting with the news, come here and we'll help you through it. Kind of like a 12 step program for cruisers!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

diveoz You're up there with the best of 'em!

I do suggest however that give her a few weeks shopping time. Escaping kids and domestic chores after all these years calls for a few wardrobe additions...............

Looking forward to your posts - I too suggest you keep quiet about this board........at least for a while.........:D

I totally agree with parent's needing a vacation. I took a vacation for myself and I also took my daughter on a vacation for the two of us once a year. I came back from my vacations happy, relaxed and far more patient that when I left.

You wife is a lucky woman. Congratulations on your booking!

Jim I echo the sentiment of all those the others above. Well done you sound like a great guy. You have the bonus on your cruise of having a great barman called Ed who I had the recent pleasure of meeting and being served by on the recent ms Amsterdam's Grand World Voyage. He is the nicest guy you could ever wish to look after you on the ship and I hope you make his acquaintance. He is currently at home in the Philippines but joins your ship for the Alaska run in July.

Have a great cruise.

I do suggest however that give her a few weeks shopping time. Escaping kids and domestic chores after all these years calls for a few wardrobe additions....

I agree! I love the plotting and planning for what I'm going to wear. And maybe she might need a new formal dress...or two??? :)

We're coming up on our 25th anniversary and have seven kids. Our November cruise on the Volendam will be our ninth cruise, all without our kids. The only way we've stayed sane is having our 'us time', and it's usually on a ship. I can guarantee your marriage will benefit from leaving the beloved offspring at home. :D

Happy sailing!

Robin

Wow! I wish you were my husband ;) !!! What an exciting thing for you to do. Guys, sit up and take note, many of us ladies would love to be surprised this way. My husband is a great guy, but I have to drag him on these trips. Usually, once he gets there he enjoys himself. You're a very imaginative guy - congratulations and have a stupendous time.

Jim..What a wonderful surprise! Sure hope you will be able to keep your secret..

Whatever you do don't tell the kids unless you know for sure that they can all keep a secret..;) If they can keep a secret, perhaps they could each come up with their own surprise to give to your wife..If they give her their surprise just before you tell her, it might keep her guessing & perhaps increase the excitement for all of you..

And agree with the other posters, give her a month or so to do some serious shopping..

What a wonderful thread you've started..Now you have us all excited about your surprise..We'll be happy to answer any questions..

Cheers..:) Betty

Thank you all for your messages. Some of you really made me laugh out loud!

I will do my best to keep the secret. When I proposed to her 18 years ago in Jamaica I managed to keep that secret for over six months. I was sure she knew what was coming, but in the end she had no clue. In fact, she actually had to think about it (and may still be). :)

As for telling the kids... no way... they're blabber mouths! They couldn't keep a secret if their lives depended on it! Though, as suggested, I may include them in the telling of the secret.

I will probably withold the information about our accomodations. It's more fun to keep some of it secret!

I figure I'll let her know around the end of October and she should have plenty of time for shopping.

In the meantime, I'll buy her a few gifts that are appropriate. My father passed away a month ago (thank you in advance for your condolences - no need to write them - let's keep this a happy thread) and I bought her a Diane von Furstenberg dress as a thank you for months of putting up with my moods. It looks so nice on her that I may have to buy it some cousins. Of course there's also Victoria's Secret :D !

Anyway, yes, I am thrilled and clearly giddy with excitement, but the secret is safe!

I'll update you as I continue the planning and I'm sure will come up with a question or two!

Thanks again for the warm welcome to the community.

Jim

Hi all...

This is way toooooooooo much fun!!!

I just have to share the following changes to the plans...

I had set air travel through HAL, but realized that I have (had) sufficient miles to redeem for First Class Round Trip air travel . We arrive the day before the flight and depart the day after!

So with the savings on airfare I have purchased the Peach Cabana on HMC. :D

When I booked our cabin I went with a category SB and was hoping for an upgrade to SA. That is all behind us! I called HAL and booked cabin SA7053. :D :D

To do list:

Limo to/from LAX

Set-up scuba package in Tortola (http://www.aquaventurebvi.com/)

On board gifts...

Reservations for Pinicle Grill

Questions:

I have read that Pinicle has been 1/2 price on the first night. Does HAL still do this. Either way, is the first night a good night for Pinicle? I don't want to miss lobster night in Vista, so how does one decide which night to go to Pinicle?

I have considered the butler service at HMC, but it seems to be a bit over the top and of questionable value for $270. We're not big drinkers/partiers, so we won't plan on drinking the fee, so what would we do with a butler for 8 hours. Any thoughts?

Sakedad suggested the unlimited spa package. Can anybody fill me in on what it is. Can it be booked on-line and/or prior to cruise?

Thanks again!!!

I need to figure out a countdown clock... That should keep me busy for a few minutes!

Archived