Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

Thanks so much for the help. You are all great! I just need clearance of 25 inches to get through the door. My daughter is small. I knew about the step up in the bathroom. We can make that work. We want so much to go on this trip. It is so frustrating that even being 14 months out we could not get a handicapped room. I am not ready to give up yet.

Again, thanks.

Cunnorl: Please stop by our Hawaii roll call and get to know those travelling with you and your dgtr...we would love to have you !!

I don't know how to add the roll call thread or I would do it, sorry!!:o

Martha

Hi, All - I LOVE this thread! :D

We just booked Radiance for next July to Alaska. We have done Splendour twice, Rhapsody once and I just did Mariner. Must admit I am one of the few who did not love the big ship! :p

Radiance with all its glass and no promenade sounds like heaven! We booked 9094 and my sister is next door in 9096. Does anyone know if we will be able to open the divider between the two balconies?? :confused:

We were just in 9092 (us) and 9094 (friends) and there was no door to be opened between the very solid balcony dividers. We would have LOVED that! :)

Does anyone know if the doors of a Grand Suite on the Radiance are the same size or larger than a standard cabin? I am getting conflicting information. I am currently booked on this ship for the 10/11/08 trip to Hawaii. It is our 30th Wedding Anniversary and our daughter will be sailing with us. She is in a wheelchair full time. All the Handicapped rooms are booked. This will work if I can just get through the door with her chair.

I just got off Radiance yesterday, and had friends staying in the GS so I was in and out of it a lot - I don't recall the doorway being particularly wide, but hopefully somebody sailing soon can look more closely. There is also a fairly extreme ledge you have to step over to get onto the balcony. Have you considered waitlisting on one or more of the accessible cabins in the hope that someone will cancel or move? They may fall out around final-payment time as well.

Hi All,

nice to see the thread hopping again....

Medfordgirl;

I'll be on the Radiance again in 6 days (Aug. 31st.) I'll let you know about any upgrades they've made but from what I've been hearing they aren't going to start that until just before the drydock in April.

SandyMc:

I don't recall what all the 'new' suite amenities are, but I can say that there was definitely no new flatscreen TV (there was, in fact, a short in the stereo wiring and we had to jiggle the wiring to get any sound at all), nor do I recall my friends mentioning anything in particular like a pillow menu or something, other than of course the occasional tray of goodies that was dropped off by room service.

Chelle, somebody who just got off Radiance said that Reyno Vurkevisser was the Concierge. We know Reyno from Guest Relations and I am wondering if Willie is on vacation or if Reyno got a promotion. Could you check for me and let me know when you get back.

I have to email one of them before our September 14 cruise.........just want to know who to address my email to.

Patti;

Reyno is in the conceriege lounge right now, my friend (whom I was on the phone with when your post came up) onboard didn't know the details of why he's there and not at Guest Relations but I'll find out for you. Course if you email him he'll probably let you know before I can get there.

I believe Willie is on vacation now, he was onboard in March.

chelle:D

Patti;

Reyno is in the conceriege lounge right now, my friend (whom I was on the phone with when your post came up) onboard didn't know the details of why he's there and not at Guest Relations but I'll find out for you. Course if you email him he'll probably let you know before I can get there.

I believe Willie is on vacation now, he was onboard in March.

I did email Reyno, so I'll wait for his reply. I know that when we were on board in April, Willie did mention that he was going on vacation, but said he would be there for the Member's Cruise. Either one will be able to help me, so I'm not worried.

Maybe he's just having a short break, I know some who are going off for just 3 or 4 weeks and then coming back to do the member cruise...

I have another friend who's going off for just a month after serving 6 and coming back to go to Hawaii...

Chelle, do you know who Karen San Juan is? She is from the Philippines, a beautiful girl and an assistant waiter in the DR and also works in the WJ. If you see her, please tell her that we look forward to seeing her in September.

I just skimmed this entire thread so forgive me if something was already answered. This will be my first time sailing on a Radiance class ship and I have a few questions.

1. What exactly is "murder mystery night?" Is it just a storyline told through dinner, or does it involve trying to solve a crime?

2. What's with the cinema on deck 6? It looks a little too small for movies. Is it for private events?

3. Does the cafe lattetudes serve Ben and Jerry's ice cream like on Rhapsody?

4. How much do the milkshakes in Seaview go for? Are they worth it?

5. I read something about bringing your own clubs for the golf simulator. Do I need my own clubs for the 9 hole mini golf?

quote=tddragoon;11384751

I just skimmed this entire thread so forgive me if something was already answered. This will be my first time sailing on a Radiance class ship and I have a few questions.

1. What exactly is "murder mystery night?" Is it just a storyline told through dinner, or does it involve trying to solve a crime?

Yes, you are trying to solve a crime. It is held at Portofino's. The cost is $50pp with a set menu and seating is limited. It starts off with wine where you get to meet the characters (usually CD staff and RCI entertainers). You proceed into dinner where more wine is served and where one character will sit at each table (I believe they also move around from table to table). You are given clues to figure out "who done it".

2. What's with the cinema on deck 6? It looks a little too small for movies. Is it for private events?

The cinema on Deck 6 is located just past the Sports Bar on the left side facing forward. A small theater where movies are shown daily. There is a small sign.....if you don't look for it you will miss it.

Radiance class sometimes have the B&J ice cream bars .....but finding them can prove to be difficult. Some say that they are at the pool bar, some say SeaView..........but have never found them at Lattitudes.

Milkshakes at the SeaView Cafe are wonderful. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the cost.

5. I read something about bringing your own clubs for the golf simulator. Do I need my own clubs for the 9 hole mini golf?

No, clubs are provided for the mini golf.

It is more a storyline than anything else. We get to pick who we think "done it", but it's all pre-determined and we don't take part in anything. We have done it once ... I doubt we'd ever do it again.

Movies are shown ... can be used for private events as well.

No B&J's full selection like on Rhapsody, Monarch, etc.

Don't know .. but they do sound good, don't they? :D

The Golf Simulator has been broken for at least the past 14 mos. Don't know when (if) it will ever get fixed. Mini-golf is just that ... you use their little golf putters and balls.

Hope this helps! (Hi, Patti!!)

So I guess the Murder Mystery wouldn't good for someone under 21. Thanks for answering my questions. As for the specialty restaurants RCI is cryptic about what they'll serve. Are there any dishes I can count on year round? I would assume a lot of seafood pasta combo for Portofino in Alaska.

I'm booked for a 6 nighter in January...from experience is dress for a 6 night less formal or the same as a 7 night? Thanks in advance!:)

Having never done a 6 night cruise, I would guess it would be the same as 7 nights. Formal night(s) and then everything else is casual. They have done away with smart casual nights.

So I guess the Murder Mystery wouldn't good for someone under 21. Thanks for answering my questions. As for the specialty restaurants RCI is cryptic about what they'll serve. Are there any dishes I can count on year round? I would assume a lot of seafood pasta combo for Portofino in Alaska.

Drinking age on all RCI ships is 21 years and older.

As far as food being served..........menu's are usually prepared fleet wide in the DR. As far as the Specialty Restaurants, they basically all have a set menu............nothing different when sailing to Alaska.

We are doing Radiance in two weeks and plan on eating in Portofino's. I will be happy to report back when we return.

Archived