Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

Thanks Patti for the quick response. I'm going to get my best friend hooked on this one! She already has the fever and I just booked her yesterday LOL.

Don't ya just love spending other people's money??

Have a wonderful cruise and a hope the start of many for your best friend.

Don't ya just love spending other people's money??

Have a wonderful cruise and a hope the start of many for your best friend.

Next we have to hook her dh. We've done land vacations with them for decades but never have been able to convince them to cruise. You know the ole...ship's too small...nothing to do...claustrophobic..hee hee little does she know :p what's she's going to experience, she'll never know what hit her.

Sharon:

Sounds just like our best friends. She was ready to go, he said, no cruises, ships are to small, nothing to do etc, etc, etc. Well they finally went on the 15 day Panama Canal Cruise, Radiance in 2003 and he is HOOKED big time!

You will love the Radiance Class, my favorite ships by far. We will be on the Serenade in 3 weeks and then on the Radiance again in 2009!

Enjoy.

I'll be on the Radiance again in 6 days (Aug. 31st.) I'll let you know about any upgrades they've made but from what I've been hearing they aren't going to start that until just before the drydock in April.

Time to go work on my packing list and start getting ready for the adventure. I leave on Thursday!!! WHOOO HOOO HERE I COME AGAIN RADIANCE FOR #20.

Chelle:D

HA...HA.....HA.........too funny!!! I'll be in Alaska this week as well..............tell me where do you hang out......................I'll be sure to stop by and say "..l.."

quote=tddragoon;11384751

4. How much do the milkshakes in Seaview go for? Are they worth it?

Milkshakes at the SeaView Cafe are wonderful. I'm sorry, but I don't remember the cost.

$3.25 or $3.75 for the milkshake, plus tip. I don't remember exactly.

So I guess the Murder Mystery wouldn't good for someone under 21. Thanks for answering my questions. As for the specialty restaurants RCI is cryptic about what they'll serve. Are there any dishes I can count on year round? I would assume a lot of seafood pasta combo for Portofino in Alaska.

The Portofino menu we just had in alaska was the same as last time I sailed Radiance, so I don't think it changes by region. You'll find the usual assortment of Italian appetizers, pastas, and entrees that you might find at an upscale Italian restaurant (e.g. this is not a pizza and spaghettit-n-meatballs kinda place).

So I guess the Murder Mystery wouldn't good for someone under 21. Thanks for answering my questions. As for the specialty restaurants RCI is cryptic about what they'll serve. Are there any dishes I can count on year round? I would assume a lot of seafood pasta combo for Portofino in Alaska.

Last year about this time we did similar itinerary...Portafinos was superb! It was our friends birthday....Many..many...many courses and the waitress kept saying "Oh, you just MUST try this one"...so we all had several selections of EVERY catagory...I actually had a sore stomach all the next day...won't try everything again...:eek:

Ginny

Sharon:

Sounds just like our best friends. She was ready to go, he said, no cruises, ships are to small, nothing to do etc, etc, etc. Well they finally went on the 15 day Panama Canal Cruise, Radiance in 2003 and he is HOOKED big time!

You will love the Radiance Class, my favorite ships by far. We will be on the Serenade in 3 weeks and then on the Radiance again in 2009!

Enjoy.

Thanks! We were on Serenade and LOVED it. Have a fantastic cruise!!!! I'm looking forward to a Radiance class after the last few on Voyager class.

Thanks! We were on Serenade and LOVED it. Have a fantastic cruise!!!! I'm looking forward to a Radiance class after the last few on Voyager class.

Hi Sharon,

Come join our roll call. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=560048&page=4 Hopefully I did this right so it will get you right there.:rolleyes:

Yes, i'am lucky to cruise with the "new" ROS on April 20 from Ft Lauderdale with my Family. But also Brilliance will go into Drydock for 3 weeks in Europe, before starts cruising in Barcelona in May 2008

Wow, that is our cruise too. Good news. We sailed Jewel in June and love all the glass and the glass elevators.

Would love to hear from folks that have booked Radiance to South America. Any adventurous cruisers out there?:)

We booked an aft Mini suite for November '08 from FLL thru the Canal down to Valparaiso, Chile. This will be our 1st time on a Radiance class ship. Have been on VOS and Mariner of the Seas and enjoyed both immensely.

-- Barry

You'll find the usual assortment of Italian appetizers, pastas, and entrees that you might find at an upscale Italian restaurant (e.g. this is not a pizza and spaghettit-n-meatballs kinda place).

Would Olive Garden be included in that category? I know how some people feel about Olive Garden and being a "real" Italian restaurant. Do you remember if they had Fettucini Alfredo? That's basically what I would get if I ate there. The others in my group aren't so picky when it comes to food.

Would Olive Garden be included in that category? I know how some people feel about Olive Garden and being a "real" Italian restaurant. Do you remember if they had Fettucini Alfredo? That's basically what I would get if I ate there. The others in my group aren't so picky when it comes to food.

Portofino's is 100 steps above Olive Garden. I'm sorry, but I do not remember if the have Fettuccine Alfredo........but I'm sure they have something comparable. My husband had a pasta dish that was actually offered as a side and he said it was fabulous.

And their tiramasu is to die for.............especially with the Bailey's kicker.

cruisenfever,

I have followed your posts over on the Mariner Repo with great interest - but that one is just too much for us - but we will be doing the repo of Radiance from LAX to FLL in a couple of months. (Due to the 'unfortunate' cancellation by another CC member, we were able to grab 8088 at this late date!) We have simply enjoyed the main dining room on our previous cruises - nearly always with supurb staff and acceptable meals (and when not acceptable, quickly replaced with a better item). I was (WAS) of the opinion that the added cost of the speciality restaurant was simply another RCCL profit maker. But now, with your description of Portifino's meal (and dessert) I will be booking our table there for our first formal night. Thanks!! (I think :) )

We booked an aft Mini suite for November '08 from FLL thru the Canal down to Valparaiso, Chile. This will be our 1st time on a Radiance class ship. Have been on VOS and Mariner of the Seas and enjoyed both immensely.

-- Barry

Barry....sounds like you snagged either 1602 or 1100. Am right??

cruisenfever,

I have followed your posts over on the Mariner Repo with great interest - but that one is just too much for us - but we will be doing the repo of Radiance from LAX to FLL in a couple of months. (Due to the 'unfortunate' cancellation by another CC member, we were able to grab 8088 at this late date!) We have simply enjoyed the main dining room on our previous cruises - nearly always with supurb staff and acceptable meals (and when not acceptable, quickly replaced with a better item). I was (WAS) of the opinion that the added cost of the speciality restaurant was simply another RCCL profit maker. But now, with your description of Portifino's meal (and dessert) I will be booking our table there for our first formal night. Thanks!! (I think :) )

You are doing the repo cruise through the canal which we did last October. It is a wonderful trip. Make sure when you get to Cristobal Pier that you take the time to get off the ship and go into the terminal. They have some beautifully hand made items by the native Panamanian Indians which are there to sell their wares. Don't be shocked at how they are dressed.........both men and ladies do not wear much.

The extra cost for Portofino's is well worth it as is Chops. The service and food is outstanding. Your meals are prepared for you on the spot and just the way you want them. Plan on at least 2-1/2 to 3 hours for your dining experience. Oh, and ask for a table by the window. Of course, wine and any alcoholic beverage is over and above the $20pp charge.

Make your reservations as soon as you board as they have limited seating and the book up quickly. Dress is always smart casual even on formal nights...........but that doesn't necessarily mean that men have to wear a jacket. We've seen everything..........and it's always been appropriate.

I hope you enjoy your cruise on Radiance as much as we have enjoyed ours.

I recall a mushroom pasta dish served in a creamy sauce. Portofino is a restaurant that largely challenges you to think outside the box for Italian food, although spaghetti bolognese (meat sauce) is on the menu. But it's made with shredded beef, not the ground beef we usually see here.

We'll probably dine in the specialty restaurants a couple of times each when we're on Radiance in just over 2 weeks (hurray!). On the Jewel in July the dining room was so loud that we had to yell to be heard. Not how I want to relax every night!:eek:

I recall a mushroom pasta dish served in a creamy sauce. Portofino is a restaurant that largely challenges you to think outside the box for Italian food, although spaghetti bolognese (meat sauce) is on the menu. But it's made with shredded beef, not the ground beef we usually see here.

We'll probably dine in the specialty restaurants a couple of times each when we're on Radiance in just over 2 weeks (hurray!). On the Jewel in July the dining room was so loud that we had to yell to be heard. Not how I want to relax every night!:eek:

That's the dish that Jim just loves. Thanks Jean for mentioning that.

That's the dish that Jim just loves. Thanks Jean for mentioning that.

The pasta is papardelle in a mushroom and a gorgonzola cream sauce. It is the best pasta I have ever, ever had. I love Fettucini Alfredo, but this is far better--but if you don't like mushrooms, you are up the creek with this.

I can't wait until we get on Mariner in October to have it again. Yum!

:)

The pasta is papardelle in a mushroom and a gorgonzola cream sauce. It is the best pasta I have ever, ever had. I love Fettucini Alfredo, but this is far better--but if you don't like mushrooms, you are up the creek with this.

I can't wait until we get on Mariner in October to have it again. Yum!

:)

Thanks Katie.....that's the dish.

cruisenfever,

I have thought about your reply. Now, to put it in perspective - I have ALWAYS worn a tie (bow or straight) & jacket to EVERY dinner on EVERY cruise we have enjoyed. BUT - IF I book the speciality restaurant on formal nite (which I understand the folks that do not like a TUX nite in the dining room frequently do) will I be out-of-place in an 'Italian Bistro' (even if somewhat high class) in a Tuxedo with a lady in proper dress?

Thanks - I'm still learning!! I Just found the web site for appropriate dress for 'Gentlemen Guests' on cruises!!! :)

cruisenfever,

I have thought about your reply. Now, to put it in perspective - I have ALWAYS worn a tie (bow or straight) & jacket to EVERY dinner on EVERY cruise we have enjoyed. BUT - IF I book the speciality restaurant on formal nite (which I understand the folks that do not like a TUX nite in the dining room frequently do) will I be out-of-place in an 'Italian Bistro' (even if somewhat high class) in a Tuxedo with a lady in proper dress?

Thanks - I'm still learning!! I Just found the web site for appropriate dress for 'Gentlemen Guests' on cruises!!! :)

I realize this wasn't directed at me, but...

Not at all. Just the other week on Radiance my friends and I ate in Chops on the first formal night and while not everyone was formally dressed, we did not feel at all out of place. We had a table by the window and I definitely think the formalwear contributed to the "atmosphere" of the evening. The food was good, but the service was not up to the usual standard. Since Portofino was so fantastic a few days later I'm chalking it up to one 'off' night.

cruisenfever,

You can go to the Specialty restaurants on formal nights dressed formal or you can go dressed smart casual or just casual. We have seen just about every kind of attire walk in. In the Daily Compass under Portofino's and Chops is says suggested dress on any night is "smart casual". But, if you want to get all dolled up...........go for it....you will not feel out of place. It sounds like you enjoy dressing for dinner which is a good thing. :)

The site on "appropriate dress" for gentlemen and ladies should really be updated. When we first started to cruise, it was formal, semi-formal, and casual. They did away with semi-formal and added smart casual and now they are slowly doing away with smart casual.

Enjoy your cruise and your dinner at Portofino's.............it is a true dining experience and plan on at least 2-3 hours to enjoy it.

I realize this wasn't directed at me, but...

Not at all. Just the other week on Radiance my friends and I ate in Chops on the first formal night and while not everyone was formally dressed, we did not feel at all out of place. We had a table by the window and I definitely think the formalwear contributed to the "atmosphere" of the evening. The food was good, but the service was not up to the usual standard. Since Portofino was so fantastic a few days later I'm chalking it up to one 'off' night.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I guess you will find that at any fine restaurant once in a while.

At our last visit to Portofino in June, we were dressed up (never go formal anymore) .... but, a fellow walked in with Levi's on. I immediately thought of these boards and what a time some folks would have with that.:eek: His wife was dressed up ... made me wonder what happened to his clothes; perhaps he forgot to pack his good slacks. whatever ....

... he was treated just as wonderfully as the rest of us ... :D

~d

Hey Vicki we are in 8168 from 1/27-2/2...I'll leave the light on ;) ! Miss Lemon thanks for the pics, that was a treat!!!!

Hey njoyndride, we're on that sailing with you! We are in cabin 8588 on the hump. I've been on the Soverign for 3 nights in 2000 and my bf has never cruised before. The only other time I cruised was in an interior on deck 2 or 3 so I'm hoping I'll really see the difference with a hump balcony on the Radiance!:) I can't wait and we are just bursting at the seams!

Melody

Archived