Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

Cat;

Lots of people are wearing jeans in the dining room especially in Alaska where its cooler. The only really dress code items that they push in the evenings are no swim suits, shorts and muscle shirts in the dining room. During our cruise in June 80% of the people were wearing jeans in the evening. Formal nights are still the extreme--some people in tuxes and ball gowns and some in dress slacks and shirts.

chelle:D

Thank you for the responses on Captain Rune. I will cross my fingers that he will be at the helm on January 5, 2008.

Another question.

Has anyone played the mini golf lately on Radiance. Is it in good shape? We were on Explorer this past December and their mini golf could use some work. Just curious as DH and I do enjoy playing.

Does anyone have pictures of this cabin? Does it have a wrap around balcony like 9256 or 8168?

Thanks,

Dorie

I was on Brilliance 7172 in April to Panama and we were thrilled with this aft cabin. This was our first aft so it was great ...so much more room. But it is not a true wraparound. You will fit one lounge, two chairs & a table. We enjoyed it, but most will say definately not as much room as the same balcony on the higher floors. Have a good time. I think I have some photos at home ....what is your email & I can send them to you.

Cat;

your welcome...I've done a few 14 nights myself and I know how it can be to pack. Remember though that September is the rainy season in Alaska so I bring two pairs of walking shoes for ports in case one gets wet this allows for drying time. Course my roommate last year used the little hair dryer to dry her shoes on the inside.

medfordgirl;

we played mini golf last month and it is still in good shape, windy but okay.

• 2 weeks later...
Just read on another thread that Radiance is going into Drydock for 20 days in April 2008. WooHoo - she'll have that "new ship" smell when we go to Hawaii in Sept 2008!! :D

Thanks Craig, I must have missed that one. Getting her ready for us and for her SA journey in 2009.

Just read on another thread that Radiance is going into Drydock for 20 days in April 2008. WooHoo - she'll have that "new ship" smell when we go to Hawaii in Sept 2008!! :D

Yes, i'am lucky to cruise with the "new" ROS on April 20 from Ft Lauderdale with my Family. But also Brilliance will go into Drydock for 3 weeks in Europe, before starts cruising in Barcelona in May 2008

Yes, i'am lucky to cruise with the "new" ROS on April 20 from Ft Lauderdale with my Family. But also Brilliance will go into Drydock for 3 weeks in Europe, before starts cruising in Barcelona in May 2008

Lucky - you'll be one of the first to experience the "new ship smell"!

Enjoy your cruise!!

Cat, jeans abounded in the dining room during our 2004 Alaska cruise, and I doubt that it has gotten any more formal since then. Are you posting on our Roll Call, by the way?

As for the drydock, I imagine that will be primarily mechanical to add the diesel generators for in-port power that all 4 Radiance class vessels are getting (Jewel gets hers this fall). My TA did report that he thought Radiance was in dire need of some sprucing up, so maybe they'll do that as well.

Cat, jeans abounded in the dining room during our 2004 Alaska cruise, and I doubt that it has gotten any more formal since then. Are you posting on our Roll Call, by the way?

As for the drydock, I imagine that will be primarily mechanical to add the diesel generators for in-port power that all 4 Radiance class vessels are getting (Jewel gets hers this fall). My TA did report that he thought Radiance was in dire need of some sprucing up, so maybe they'll do that as well.

Jeans have been prevalent on all of our cruises on Radiance in the DR. Our B2B last fall and our cruise this last Spring.

But please don't let the fashion police read this.........they might boycott the ship.:)

Jeans have been prevalent on all of our cruises on Radiance in the DR. Our B2B last fall and our cruise this last Spring.

But please don't let the fashion police read this.........they might boycott the ship.:)

ROFLMAO

• 3 weeks later...
any recent cruisers on Radiance? I was wondering again about the NEW SUITE AMENITIES. Are they coming along yet?

We will be sailing on her for the September 14 Member's Cruise, so I shall report back about the new suite amenities. I am sure that some of the Polar Bears staying in suites will gladly share that information.

Does anyone know if the doors of a Grand Suite on the Radiance are the same size or larger than a standard cabin? I am getting conflicting information. I am currently booked on this ship for the 10/11/08 trip to Hawaii. It is our 30th Wedding Anniversary and our daughter will be sailing with us. She is in a wheelchair full time. All the Handicapped rooms are booked. This will work if I can just get through the door with her chair.

Thanks for all your help. I have loved reading this thread!

Does anyone know if the doors of a Grand Suite on the Radiance are the same size or larger than a standard cabin? I am getting conflicting information. I am currently booked on this ship for the 10/11/08 trip to Hawaii. It is our 30th Wedding Anniversary and our daughter will be sailing with us. She is in a wheelchair full time. All the Handicapped rooms are booked. This will work if I can just get through the door with her chair.

Thanks for all your help. I have loved reading this thread!

I do believe that they are larger than a standard cabin. I will check for you when we sail on Radiance in September......in fact, 'll take my handy little tape measure and make sure of the width.

Hi, All - I LOVE this thread! :D

We just booked Radiance for next July to Alaska. We have done Splendour twice, Rhapsody once and I just did Mariner. Must admit I am one of the few who did not love the big ship! :p

Radiance with all its glass and no promenade sounds like heaven! We booked 9094 and my sister is next door in 9096. Does anyone know if we will be able to open the divider between the two balconies?? :confused:

Hi All,

nice to see the thread hopping again....

Medfordgirl;

I'll be on the Radiance again in 6 days (Aug. 31st.) I'll let you know about any upgrades they've made but from what I've been hearing they aren't going to start that until just before the drydock in April.

SandyMc:

The dividers between balconies are not removeable. I think they do that on some cruise lines but not on RCI.

cunnorl:

We were in a Grand Suite last year and I don't remember the doors being larger, maybe a few inches but not enough for a wheelchair because a friend of mine is wheelchair bound and she loves the Radiance and is always so upset when the handicapped rooms sale out or are taken by walking passengers who want a bigger room. And on our cruise in June I remember waiting in the hall way for a man to be helped out of his chair and into the cabin so the cabin steward could put his chair around the corner. I believe the only rooms with large doors are the presidental and owners suite. I will check when I am there on August 31st and let you know 100% for sure. Oh and one more thing, there is a step up into the bathroom and a tub with a partial permanent door.

Time to go work on my packing list and start getting ready for the adventure. I leave on Thursday!!! WHOOO HOOO HERE I COME AGAIN RADIANCE FOR #20.

Chelle:D

Hi, All - I LOVE this thread! :D

We just booked Radiance for next July to Alaska. We have done Splendour twice, Rhapsody once and I just did Mariner. Must admit I am one of the few who did not love the big ship! :p

Radiance with all its glass and no promenade sounds like heaven! We booked 9094 and my sister is next door in 9096. Does anyone know if we will be able to open the divider between the two balconies?? :confused:

Sandy, when we were on Radiance last April, I checked the balcony dividers and I do not believe that they can be opened......but I could be wrong. I will check again in September when we are on and get back to you.

Hi All,

nice to see the thread hopping again....

Medfordgirl;

I'll be on the Radiance again in 6 days (Aug. 31st.) I'll let you know about any upgrades they've made but from what I've been hearing they aren't going to start that until just before the drydock in April.

SandyMc:

The dividers between balconies are not removeable. I think they do that on some cruise lines but not on RCI.

cunnorl:

We were in a Grand Suite last year and I don't remember the doors being larger, maybe a few inches but not enough for a wheelchair because a friend of mine is wheelchair bound and she loves the Radiance and is always so upset when the handicapped rooms sale out or are taken by walking passengers who want a bigger room. And on our cruise in June I remember waiting in the hall way for a man to be helped out of his chair and into the cabin so the cabin steward could put his chair around the corner. I believe the only rooms with large doors are the presidental and owners suite. I will check when I am there on August 31st and let you know 100% for sure.

Time to go work on my packing list and start getting ready for the adventure. I leave on Thursday!!! WHOOO HOOO HERE I COME AGAIN RADIANCE FOR #20.

Chelle:D

Hey there Chelle..............have a wonderful time. Let us know how Kirk does as the new CD.

Hi Patti;

From what I'am hearing from crew, he was onboard this week since Kieran left today and they all love him already. I'll definitely report back with my own experience on the 8th when I return.

Was a shock that Kieran is leaving. When I saw him in June he never mentioned it at all, as a matter of fact talking to him and Simon they were going on about how much fun they are having together and they were telling me there schedule for the early part of next year.... Simon was shocked when I emailed him and told him in England what I had read on cruise critic about Kieran leaving.

Archived