Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

We had a month on the Radiance in spring 2004.

Wonderful.

Started in Miami, thro Panama, up Mexican Riviera to Vancover then Alaska.

In for a penny in for a pound as we brits say,only one airfare and a fantastic experience and the people we met on board ship and in port were wonderful.

Now if I can win some of that 24 million pounds on the Euro lottery this weekend........ah to dream.

oh yes, there is no comparison. In fact, Radiance ALSO has a solarium cafe with crepes, pizza, cookies, etc, so you don't even have to give that up! The think about the seaview is that most of the stuff is made to order, so it's really good. I'm fond of the chili in a bread bowl, and I know a lot of people really like the onion rings. The only downside to the seaview is the exceedingly odd hours - it's often closed during traditional mealtimes - it's more of a between-meal-snack kind of place. It's very small, so I'm sure they really don't want to be feeding throngs there at mealtime. It's often open late, though, which is nice for a late night snack.

Thanks so much for mentioning the Solarium Cafe. The crepes are to die for. All I can say is........."bet you can't eat just one"!!!

We had a month on the Radiance in spring 2004.

Wonderful.

Started in Miami, thro Panama, up Mexican Riviera to Vancover then Alaska.

In for a penny in for a pound as we brits say,only one airfare and a fantastic experience and the people we met on board ship and in port were wonderful.

Now if I can win some of that 24 million pounds on the Euro lottery this weekend........ah to dream.

Well, would you believe that we were on that sailing with you.:D That was our first cruise and b2b on Radiance.........though we disembarked in Vancouver........but wished we had stayed on for Alaska.

We did a b2b on Radiance last fall..........29 days..............the R/T Hawaii and then stayed on and went through the PC and ended up in Ft. Lauderdale. That is the longest we've ever been on a ship..............and it wasn't long enough. :( Hated to get off.

Well, would you believe that we were on that sailing with you.:D That was our first cruise and b2b on Radiance.........though we disembarked in Vancouver........but wished we had stayed on for Alaska

We had to fly back from Vancover anyway so thats why we did Alaska.

Best parts apart from the Canal for me were Astoria...too cute for words and San Fransisco,we were there til late and went out to eat but ended up in Portofinos with the wonderful Alan having a superb meal right underneath [or thereabouts] the Golden Gate Bridge,a lasting memory ahhhh

Well, would you believe that we were on that sailing with you.:D That was our first cruise and b2b on Radiance.........though we disembarked in Vancouver........but wished we had stayed on for Alaska

We had to fly back from Vancover anyway so thats why we did Alaska.

Best parts apart from the Canal for me were Astoria...too cute for words and San Fransisco,we were there til late and went out to eat but ended up in Portofinos with the wonderful Alan having a superb meal right underneath [or thereabouts] the Golden Gate Bridge,a lasting memory ahhhh

We also enjoyed Astoria and look forward to going back this year when we do the the Ultimate Alaska Member's Cruise in September. It is the quaintest of towns and our weather was beautiful. Hopefully we shall have another day of great weather.

Here's hoping that we cruise again with you on Radiance or one of the other beautiful ships in the RCI fleet.

Happy cruising to you..................:)

We also enjoyed Astoria and look forward to going back this year when we do the the Ultimate Alaska Member's Cruise in September. It is the quaintest of towns and our weather was beautiful. Hopefully we shall have another day of great weather.

Our friends Bob and Kath will be on that one and tried to persuade us tiojoin them but we will be on Jewel to Northern europe.....no flying from Harwich but we are sure to meet up sometime the RCCL world is quite small specially in the concierge lounge,cheers.

Curtains, Curtains, the dreaded Bun hugging curtins! Yuk, this is really the only BAD thnig about the Radiance! Just go for a Jr. Suite or above, they have tubs and the curtains can't get to you as badly!

Ah come on................they make you feel all warm and cuddly all over!!:p

we will be on Jewel to Northern europe.....no flying from Harwich but we are sure to meet up sometime the RCCL world is quite small specially in the concierge lounge,cheers.

HI, MAKEM! I've got some questions for you ... can you email me off-thread ... dinnybennett AT comcast DOT net.

THANKS!

~dianne

Hi everyone, thought I would start a thread on my favorite topic.........Radiance of the Seas. Maybe some of you would like to share your past cruising experiences and current cruising experiences. What you liked most, what you liked least (if that's possible). What changes would you like to see.

This might be helpful in answering questions for those that are looking to book a cruise on this beautiful ship in the future. If you would care to share cabin pictures or balcony pictures, please do so.

Hi Jim and Patti I was just "cruisin" on the web and ran across your post.

Long time no talk to! Almost a year. I also loved the Radiance. It is my

favorite ship so far. We are going to the Med/Greek isles this year on the Star Princess and next year to the Baltic on the Jewel of the seas. Hope you are both well. Fondly Jolie

oh yes, there is no comparison. In fact, Radiance ALSO has a solarium cafe with crepes, pizza, cookies, etc, so you don't even have to give that up! The think about the seaview is that most of the stuff is made to order, so it's really good. I'm fond of the chili in a bread bowl, and I know a lot of people really like the onion rings. The only downside to the seaview is the exceedingly odd hours - it's often closed during traditional mealtimes - it's more of a between-meal-snack kind of place. It's very small, so I'm sure they really don't want to be feeding throngs there at mealtime. It's often open late, though, which is nice for a late night snack.

This sounds wonderful. My daughter and I would have loved a place like this on our last Rhapsody cruise. We were always eating "lunch" at about 3:30 in the afternoon.

Y'all are getting me more and more excited about this cruise.

Hi Jim and Patti I was just "cruisin" on the web and ran across your post.

Long time no talk to! Almost a year. I also loved the Radiance. It is my

favorite ship so far. We are going to the Med/Greek isles this year on the Star Princess and next year to the Baltic on the Jewel of the seas. Hope you are both well. Fondly Jolie

Hi Jolie..........so nice to hear from you and that you remembered us. Hope you are well. We've done the Baltic's on Jewel and you will love the ship and itinerary. The Med/Greek isles is on our to-do list.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

Hugs to you, Patti

i cruised many times on the radiance since 2002 until 2006, i LOVE THAT SHIP SO MUCH, the crew is amazing, so friendly people, try to find the Sea view cafe since the beggining it s like a Johnie rockets on deck 12, otherwise will be too crowded later, book in the CHOPS GRILL STEAK HOUSE ask for Franko he is great......at least one night, the weakest menu in dinning room will be, the get out there one, that will be the perfect night to go up, my waiter was Cesar from Chile very professional and attentive.....i hope you have alot of fun.............love that ship so much

Hi,

New to RCI and posted on another thread but it isn't getting any answers.

Can someone here explain the Radiance of the Seas disembarking procedures to us as we are trying to line up transfers from the Port of LA to the airport or hotel after an upcoming cruise...?

Does everyone leave their cabins at a specified time and go to a public area where you wait to be called or can we hang out in our cabin until the rush is over? In other words, on our other cruises with different lines, everyone had to be out of their cabin by 8 AM and then stood around waiting for their color of tag - or whatever - to be called.

Do you think 9 AM would be too early to tell someone to pick us up at the dock? If we told them 10 AM and we were off the ship by 9 AM is there some place to go in the port of LA to hang out until our rides came? (like a restaurant)

Thanks.

Hi,

Can someone here explain the Radiance of the Seas disembarking procedures to us as we are trying to line up transfers from the Port of LA to the airport or hotel after an upcoming cruise...?

Does everyone leave their cabins at a specified time and go to a public area where you wait to be called or can we hang out in our cabin until the rush is over? In other words, on our other cruises with different lines, everyone had to be out of their cabin by 8 AM and then stood around waiting for their color of tag - or whatever - to be called.

Do you think 9 AM would be too early to tell someone to pick us up at the dock? If we told them 10 AM and we were off the ship by 9 AM is there some place to go in the port of LA to hang out until our rides came? (like a restaurant)

Thanks.

Yes ... you will be asked to leave your stateroom by 8 a.m., wait somewhere until your color is called, etc.

BUT, you are given the option of carrying off your own luggage (WORKS GREAT!!!) and getting off the ship first (we've seen it as early as 7:30 a.m.) ... if the early time is a factor.

If you are NOT carrying-off, I would think the 9 a.m. time would be more in line with reality. And, no ... there is not really a place to sit and wait. There are some large planters out in front of the terminal (the Radiance usually docks at the new terminal), where folks sit and wait for rides.

Just remember ... what time you get off the ship has very little to do with the cruiseline ... it's the Port Officials. And, the Port Officials at the Port of Los Angeles are NORTORIOUS for being very late and very slow (and very frustrating ...:o ). Just remember that on disembarkation day and you will be fine.

Have a great cruise on a great ship!!

~dianne

Would love to hear from folks that have booked Radiance to South America. Any adventurous cruisers out there?:)

We are booked in Feb. 2009 on Radiance. Will be in Rio for 3 days for Carnival. Looking forward to it!

Have been reading and enjoying this thread off and on since Cruisenfever started it about a month ago and just wanted to say thanks. We will be on the Radiance in 3/08 and this will complete 4 out of 4 for us sailing the Radiance Class. Guess you can say we like them.

Hi - we're going to be on the 3/23/08 sailing of the Radiance! What's your sail date? Are the grandkids going with you?

Dotty and Jack

Hi folks:

We are sailing on the Radiance for the first time on July 27th heading north to Alaska.

What can you tell me about laundry services? Are there coin operated facilities? Is there a laundry card one can purchase?

Looking forward to this trip and very thankful to all Cruise Critic posters!!

Cheers

Paul in London, Ontario

Hi folks:

We are sailing on the Radiance for the first time on July 27th heading north to Alaska.

What can you tell me about laundry services? Are there coin operated facilities? Is there a laundry card one can purchase?

Looking forward to this trip and very thankful to all Cruise Critic posters!!

Cheers

Paul in London, Ontario

The only laundry on the ship is when you give it to the ship's staff to do it. There aren't any coin-op machines or anything for consumers to use.

You can learn this and lots of other things about the ship by going to Royal Caribbean's Web site and checking out all the info. on what the ship has, the deck plans, etc.

Hi everyone. My mother and I will be sailing Radiance 6/20/08. Her dream vacation is to cruise Alaska. I'm not that excited about Alaska since I HATE cold weather but I figure I could bite the big one for dear 'ole Mom. I have sailed the larger classes, Navagator and Freedom so I'm afraid I will be a little dissapointed in Radiance. From what I've read though, she does sound like a wonderful ship.

Hi everyone. My mother and I will be sailing Radiance 6/20/08. Her dream vacation is to cruise Alaska. I'm not that excited about Alaska since I HATE cold weather but I figure I could bite the big one for dear 'ole Mom. I have sailed the larger classes, Navagator and Freedom so I'm afraid I will be a little dissapointed in Radiance. From what I've read though, she does sound like a wonderful ship.

Try not to think of Radiance as a "voyager with fewer amenities" because that's not really what it is at all. Radiance was designed for places like Alaska - all the glass gives you views with which no other ship, PARTICULARLY voyager, can compete. There's no Promenade, but there's still a full complement of bars and shops - they're just spread out more. The Seaview cafe and the colony club are both real gems that are Radiance-only. You're going in June, so hopefully the weather won't be so much "cold" as "brisk" - if it's too cold for you to be on deck you will certainly appreciate the fact that because Radiance is literally wrapped in glass, you can see out from just about anywhere.

The Radiance class is a completely different type of ship. Very outward focused. We spent 14 days on her to Hawaii (with CruisingFever and the Happy CoCoNUTS) and love the ship.

We have also done Voyager and are booked on Liberty - those ships are great too, but because you like one class doesn't mean you won't like the other class.

We have booked Radiance again for Hawaii (15 days this time) and cannot wait.

We have a ton of pics in our signature if you would like to see interior shots.

Archived