Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

Hi Jim & Patti,

My DH and I have booked Radiance Nov 9, 08...Ft. Laud to Valpariso, Chile.

This will be our first time on this ship, and first time completely thru the canal.

We have sailed on Brilliance twice to Gatun Locks, and really loved the ship, then when we read about Radiance it seemed like the perfect trip. The idea of so many sea days mixed inbetween the port stops looked great, and the unusual ports just made it special.

You have booked a fabulous trip. This past April we did the westbound PC transit on Radiance and stopped at Cartegena where I believe your cruise will stop also. I do hope that you enjoy the port as much as we did. It was the first time that RCI had been back to Columbia in 7 years and they rolled out the red carpet for us. The President of Columbia even flew down and came on board.

I know that you will have a wonderful time, and just the thought of Radiance going to South America is exciting. Enjoy.

You have booked a fabulous trip. This past April we did the westbound PC transit on Radiance and stopped at Cartegena where I believe your cruise will stop also. I do hope that you enjoy the port as much as we did. It was the first time that RCI had been back to Columbia in 7 years and they rolled out the red carpet for us. The President of Columbia even flew down and came on board.

I know that you will have a wonderful time, and just the thought of Radiance going to South America is exciting. Enjoy.

Patti...

Rosie and I are doing the Eastbound 14 day PC in October, 2008. Part of the reason we picked this cruise is because of the stop in Cartegena...Glad to hear you enjoyed the port...we are looking forward to it!

BILL

Realent, We are traveling 2-10-07. We will be on her sister ship, Jewel, in November but not aft. That cruise will be hump.

Hi Sandy, Where are you sailing in Feb. when you have the aft? BTW, you missed your ship if you are traveling 2-10-07. LOL:eek:

We will be in the southern caribbean Nov of this year.

I heard lots about that special visit to Cartagena from the crew in May. They all felt it was a very special stop/event as well.!!!

I heard lots about that special visit to Cartagena from the crew in May. They all felt it was a very special stop/event as well.!!!

And very, very safe. I would recommend to anyone visiting that you find the taxi drivers that have "taxi" printed all over their shirt. This was recommended to us by the ship. Very inexpensive and we saw so much.

It truly was an event we will never forget.

If anybody wants to see the interior and balconies of som aft cabin, click on the link in my signature for Radiance (1100JS), Serenade (1602JS)and Brilliance (1600GS).

Also do a search on community webshots (where my pics are posted) for pictures by rdeagazio. He has toured a LOT of ships and has tons of pictures posted.

Our 1st experience with Radiance-Class ship was when Mike & I went on 11 nt cruise on the BRAND NEW Brilliance in Nov 2002 & had an aft corner cabin on 8th deck!!! Prior to the cruise, we had a huge GREAT CC thread and several CC couples decided to sit together in the dining room instead of taking "potluck" with dinner partners. Each night after dinner & before the show, we all would get shooters, so now I have quite a supply of RCCI shooters glasses in all colors!! Mike & I were selected to be on the Love & Marriage Game & still have the tape of it! We were so impressed with the Centrum design, the glass elevators and the Windjammer.

When we decided to take our 3 adult children & spouses on a cruise for their Christmas present in early Dec. 2004, we chose Radiance (western caribbean itinerary), despite the fact that we had previously been on 10 Princess cruises. We liked the layout of Radiance-class, plus 1 of the couples had been on RCCI cruise before (other 2 couples on 1st cruise!). We all had balcony cabins on 7th deck forward which have the larger outside space. They LOVED the ship!!

Now we have a "Christmas present" cruise on Radiance planned for Dec 16, 2007 taking our 4 oldest grandchildren (2 girls 15 & 13 and 2 boys 14 & 9). We chose Radiance for this because it has connecting balcony cabins (ESSENTIAL) and because this was a 6 nt western itinerary & the kids can be back with their parents by Christmas Eve day. Our connecting balconies are on 9th deck. We think this ship will be fun for the grands, who are quite excited about the trip -- the 9 yr old comes over to my home every week asking to see something on the internet about Radiance!!! He watched intently the Travel Channel shows on Radiance and Freedom (which did the western itinerary).

Our 1st experience with Radiance-Class ship was when Mike & I went on 11 nt cruise on the BRAND NEW Brilliance in Nov 2002 & had an aft corner cabin on 8th deck!!! Prior to the cruise, we had a huge GREAT CC thread and several CC couples decided to sit together in the dining room instead of taking "potluck" with dinner partners. Each night after dinner & before the show, we all would get shooters, so now I have quite a supply of RCCI shooters glasses in all colors!! Mike & I were selected to be on the Love & Marriage Game & still have the tape of it! We were so impressed with the Centrum design, the glass elevators and the Windjammer.

When we decided to take our 3 adult children & spouses on a cruise for their Christmas present in early Dec. 2004, we chose Radiance (western caribbean itinerary), despite the fact that we had previously been on 10 Princess cruises. We liked the layout of Radiance-class, plus 1 of the couples had been on RCCI cruise before (other 2 couples on 1st cruise!). We all had balcony cabins on 7th deck forward which have the larger outside space. They LOVED the ship!!

Now we have a "Christmas present" cruise on Radiance planned for Dec 16, 2007 taking our 4 oldest grandchildren (2 girls 15 & 13 and 2 boys 14 & 9). We chose Radiance for this because it has connecting balcony cabins (ESSENTIAL) and because this was a 6 nt western itinerary & the kids can be back with their parents by Christmas Eve day. Our connecting balconies are on 9th deck. We think this ship will be fun for the grands, who are quite excited about the trip -- the 9 yr old comes over to my home every week asking to see something on the internet about Radiance!!! He watched intently the Travel Channel shows on Radiance and Freedom (which did the western itinerary).

What a great grandmother.............I know that the children will enjoy. Make sure they experience Adventure Ocean............you might not see them for 6 days!

Have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks to everyone for all their positive comments! I board 6/29 as well. You are all getting me very excited. This will be my first time to Alaska and first time on a Radiance class ship.

And Capt. Rune will be back from vacation. You are in for a real treat! Just be prepared for very long noon time announcements!

Patti,

Thanks for compiling this info - can't get enough info about this ship.

Opinion please, 6 virgin cruise couples(30's - 60's) are joining us in March. Tell me I picked the perfect ship for them. My sister and her DH went on a Carnival cruise this last May and hated it. I personally wouldn't have picked that ship or itinerary for them and I think that was a huge factor. Our first cruise was on Disney and because of the quality and service contributed to getting us addicted. Any thoughts, please share...

Patti,

Thanks for compiling this info - can't get enough info about this ship.

Opinion please, 6 virgin cruise couples(30's - 60's) are joining us in March. Tell me I picked the perfect ship for them. My sister and her DH went on a Carnival cruise this last May and hated it. I personally wouldn't have picked that ship or itinerary for them and I think that was a huge factor. Our first cruise was on Disney and because of the quality and service contributed to getting us addicted. Any thoughts, please share...

Dawn, you picked the right cruise line and the right ship for your 6 "virgin cruise couples". ;) If they do not have a great time, I will be surprised. Having never sailed on Carnival, but having been docked next to them in various ports, I can understand possibly why they did not enjoy it.

Any ship in the RCI fleet is exceptional..........but we are very partial to Radiance because we have sailed on her so many times and have gotten to know many of the staff and crew. Radiance was the first ship built in the Radiance class, so she is the oldest............but I never look at age........I look at the character of the ship...........and Radiance has lots of character!

The layout of the ship makes it easy not to get lost. The cabins are well appointed and the food is good. The SeaView Cafe is the best kept secret on the ship for lunch or snacks at night. It is opened on sea days at noon until 6:30. On port days it opens at 3. The Specialty restaurants, Chops and Portofino's are wonderful. And the Solarium Cafe has the best made to order crepes.......you just can't eat one!

Going with a group always makes cruising more fun. I hope you all have a great time.

My husband and I are booked on the Radiance next February to celebrate my his 46th birthday....the only reason I chose this ship is because of all the wonderful reviews it has gotten via this message board! I'm sure we won't be disappointed! :)

My husband and I are booked on the Radiance next February to celebrate my his 46th birthday....the only reason I chose this ship is because of all the wonderful reviews it has gotten via this message board! I'm sure we won't be disappointed! :)

Have a wonderful cruise............I know you won't be disappointed. And what a great way to celebrate a birthday............all those people at dinner and you didn't need to send out any invitations!:)

We booked the repo from Valparaiso to San Diego in April 2009. Talk about planning ahead!

Yes, we're on the Santos - Valparaiso cruise in Dec. 2008. Still a long time to wait, but we're looking forward to it.

I'll make sure to take notes when we do SA on Splendour next March.:D

Anyone taking a cruise between now and September 7th.......Capt. Rune is back on board.

We are sailing on September 28th. Do you know who will be captain then?

Anyone taking a cruise between now and September 7th.......Capt. Rune is back on board.

Jim and Patti that is great news - we changed our summer plans to go Alaska after sailing with Captain Rune the first week in April. He put whipped cream on my wife's nose during the cake decorating. He is fantastic, but there is nothing official where he going after September. We are waiting to rebook cruises to see where he is. He is fantastic. We are going August 3rd Southbound from Seward.

We are sailing on September 28th. Do you know who will be captain then?

Char, Captain Trym Selvag will be returning from vacation on September 7, replacing Capt. Rune. We sailed last April with Capt. Trym, and he is just as personable as Capt. Rune without the Hurdy Gurdy Kiss Kiss overtones! And Captain Trym's noon time announcements are not quite as lengthy as Capt. Rune's are.

Jim and Patti that is great news - we changed our summer plans to go Alaska after sailing with Captain Rune the first week in April. He put whipped cream on my wife's nose during the cake decorating. He is fantastic, but there is nothing official where he going after September. We are waiting to rebook cruises to see where he is. He is fantastic. We are going August 3rd Southbound from Seward.

Yes, I have heard that after he leaves on September 7, he might be assigned another ship. I wouldn't be a bit suprised if he goes to one of the biggies!!

If you are still looking for info ... Ketchikan Flightseeing trip with Michelle at Island Wings. Juneau whale watching with Captain Jack and his purple boat. Should be able to get info with a google search or check from more info in the Ports of Call threads.

Archived