Iron/Hairdryer in Room???

ambergj

The hair dryers in the cabins are wall mounted units in the bathroom - if you have thick hair, they really don't do the job.

Celebrity ships do not have self serve laundry facilities and also do not allow you to bring an iron on board. There is laundry, dry cleaning, and pressing services available at fairly decent prices.

If you have a concierge class cabin, you will have a hand held dryer that can usually be found in the bathroom cabinet under the sink. Although one cruise I had to search for it and found it in the desk in the cabin. You will have to dry your hair in the cabin if you bring your own or have a CC cabin as there is no outlet in the bathroom capable of handling a hair dryer.

The problem is...is that we're staying in Venice for 2 nights before we board the cruise....and we will want to iron some things when we get aboard. How disappointing. I thought for sure that they'd allow an iron on board.

Hmmm....

I'm going to have to come up w/ a plan B.

Just pack a small travel iron, that usually works fine. They don't cost much and don't take up alot of space.

Irons are strictly forbidden as a fire hazard on board almost all cruise ships. Here is a quote from Celebrity's web site.....

Prohibited Items

Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. (Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.)

I have seen portable steamers in travel gear catalogs. You wouldn't be able to use them in Venice ahead of the cruise without a converter, but you would be ok on the ship. Or you can send your clothes out to be pressed once on board (pricey but probably worth it for the convenience factor).

Katherine

The problem is...is that we're staying in Venice for 2 nights before we board the cruise....and we will want to iron some things when we get aboard. How disappointing. I thought for sure that they'd allow an iron on board.

Hmmm....

I'm going to have to come up w/ a plan B.

As has been said irons are forbidden however, steamers aren't. So take a travel steamer or get the items ironed, at a small cost, by the Laundry servive onboard

In this particular instance, I urge you to be responsible and adhere to the Celebrity (and other cruise lines) restrictions on irons. Fire onboard ships DO happen (have you seen the video of the Star Princess from last year?). While the Star fire wasn't set off by an iron, things that are fire hazards on ships are a huge concern. You may think you are responsible and nothing will happen, but sadly stuff does.

After spending thousands of dollars on a vacation, budget for anything that needs to be pressed to the laundry. I'm sure your hotel in Venice should be able to assist with getting things pressed as well.

Added comment - Host Walt - we carry a small steamer device that restores creases and will remove most wrinkles...and it's within Celebrity's guidelines. In addition I'm sure your bathroom in Venice will be tiny, so you can let the hot water steam up the bathroom, which usuallt takes care of any packing wrinkles.

In any case Celebrity's prohibition on irons is reasonable and should be complied with.

I strongly agree with Host Anne and Host Walt and have one more idea to add that I use, which is Downy Wrinkle Releaser. It works great, even on my tux if it should get a crease. You just spray it on and smooth out any wrinkles! :)

I forgot about the wrinke releaser! I used to use that all of the time. I won't be bringing an iron on board. As for assuming that I'm paying "thousands" for my vacation I am not. It was a gift for our honeymoon. It's kind of hard to budget for something that I just found out less than a week before we travel that we can't have an iron. I do like the idea of the steamer and the wrinkle release!! GENIOUS! Thanks for your help!

I forgot about the wrinke releaser! I used to use that all of the time. I won't be bringing an iron on board. As for assuming that I'm paying "thousands" for my vacation I am not. It was a gift for our honeymoon. It's kind of hard to budget for something that I just found out less than a week before we travel that we can't have an iron. I do like the idea of the steamer and the wrinkle release!! GENIOUS! Thanks for your help!

How wonderful to be going on a cruise for your honeymoon, what a great gift! Glad that we could help you out a bit... have a wonderful cruise! :D

Two points here if I may!

OP says they just want to "press" a few things, that must mean no laundering??? Are these things you will wear once & then once again on board??? The $$$ of Celebrity's pressing service really is reasonable & fast! OR you can steam hang it in the bathroom for a while!

A tip for packing in general is dry cleaner bags! For everything---nothing has EVER wrinkled on me while packed in a dry cleaner bag!!!

We travel with 1 rolling garment bag just for formal & "dressy" wear, leaving it packed for days--1 or 2 BEFORE we leave and then 1, 2 or more for pre-cruise land stays--no wrinkles, EVER!!!

Get some wrinkle release spray, dry cleaner bags & use the laundry/pressing service on board, you will not be disappointed!!!

And Congratulations on your marriage!:D

Hello you beautiful cruisers:

I thought the hair dryer on the CC Mille was nice. I had above the shoulder hair and I was impressed. Got a wild hair, ha ha ha, and got my hair cut shorter on the cruise--best haircut, EVER. When I got home, went to my hairdresser at once and said do not forget how my hair looks.

Wish I had known there was a product, however, that you could spray on yours clothes to release the wrinkles.

We also ordered room service almost every morning--it was fine.

Penny/Tampa:) :)

Good Evening,

We are going on the Medit. cruise on the Millenium and wanted to know if they provide on the ship an iron and a hairdryer???

Thanks.

Amber

Another suggestion that many cruisers do is not to have things pressed at home and just give them to the steward the first day. Saves a lot of packing aggravation and at least where I live, the prices on the ship are cheaper.

Another suggestion that many cruisers do is not to have things pressed at home and just give them to the steward the first day. Saves a lot of packing aggravation and at least where I live, the prices on the ship are cheaper.

Don, you are totally right! I usually have all my laundry dont before travelling home, but what a great thought, have it all done on arrival too :) We have to travel for 3 days before boarding, and for some obscure reason I am obsessed with pressing everything before we travel and its a complete waste of time as most stuff needs done again. I AM going to do what you say here, and if my luggage gets searched at airport I will not die of embarressment with wrinkled clothes...I just going to smile and think of not having to do all that pressing!

Don, you are totally right! I usually have all my laundry dont before travelling home, but what a great thought, have it all done on arrival too :) We have to travel for 3 days before boarding, and for some obscure reason I am obsessed with pressing everything before we travel and its a complete waste of time as most stuff needs done again. I AM going to do what you say here, and if my luggage gets searched at airport I will not die of embarressment with wrinkled clothes...I just going to smile and think of not having to do all that pressing!

As long as their clean, I wouldn't be embarrassed by wrinkled clothes.

Hello Don:

Irons are forbidden. I had a few things cleaned and spent about $35.00. Wish I had none about the spray to release wrinkles.

The hairdryers are good. Should not have any problem there.

You are going to have a wonderful time. Starting in Venice, on the grand canal.

Anyone that goes, is truly blessed,

Penny

How special.

Hi Ma:

I was going to make some comment but it would get pulled...enough said, the question has been answered and most of the posts and posters except one have been helpful and gave the OP some good tips.

Archived