New here - I don't understand...

Why does there seem to be so much tension about which cruise ship or cruise line is better? Isn't the point of these boards to help and not put others down?

And, I'm certain, since I am new here that this post will be questioned.

I'm just curious why some people have the need to be right or to justify what they do by hurting the feelings of other people.

It's the mystery of humans. I don't get it either. I try to be as polite as I can, although I'm sure I've probably offended someone, although I never intend to.

I think a lot of times people are misinterpreted because they can't express how they truly feel when they type it out.

An example of this would be: "why didn't you go to the meeting today?"

Someone might take that as being rude, for whatever reason.

First, Welcome to Cruise Critic!!! You will find there are lots of great friendly people here to answer your questions. As for why some people can be rude or put other lines down, well I would say that is human nature. You will find die hard "cheerleaders" and those who question every thing ever written.

Sometimes it is like farming-you gotta seperate the wheat from the chaff!!

Again, welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions.

You are posting on the Royal Caribbean board so most people here have already decided they like RCI.

My wife and I have decided that we will cruise RCI as much as we can unless we find another line with a cruise that RCI doesn't offer.

People here sometimes tend to be passionate in their opinions!

Take it in your stride and enjoy yourself here on the RCI board.

Kim, it is a valid question. Every Cruise lines has their good and bad points. Some have had bad experiences on a cruise line. I won't condem a Cruise line becasue of one ship. I accept each for what they offer, and go on with an open mind. I feel RCCL has a much better Buffet set up then Princess, Princess does better pool games, but mind you, I have only been on one Radiance Class ship, our cruise Oct 2008, is on RCCL and we may have great pool games, beyond that, both reliable cruise lines.

Every time I cruise I talk to people from other ships and asked them about them and see what they like and dislike. I have only cruised RCI but based on what I hear from other people I talk to and absed on what I experience on RCI I choose to continue to cruise RCI.

My mother has cruised several lines, RCI, Costa and Carnival, and only had one so-so cruise. It is what you make of it in some cases. It's just human nature to berate someone with an opposing view, it makes people feel better about their own opinions.

I've never notice that much "tension" about other cruise lines on the RCI boards. Folks on this board LIKE RCI and many cruise this line exclusively. Like the other poster stated, there are good and bad things about EVERY line! It just depends on what's important to YOU as to how you feel about the bad stuff! (Some feel that ANY food is great, if they don't have to cook it, for example!)

Everything is very subjective on these boards. And, you need to understand that the Cruise Critic community is only a SMALL fraction of the cruising public!

Why does there seem to be so much tension about which cruise ship or cruise line is better? Isn't the point of these boards to help and not put others down?

I'm just curious why some people have the need to be right or to justify what they do by hurting the feelings of other people.

Welcome again! I joined in May too. There are some people on this site that are always "very opinionated" :eek: and if I don't agree with their opinion, I just don't respond. :) There are a lot of flamers out here too, just ignore them. But the best part is that there are many more posters out here that will offer you so much useful information that its worth sifting through the nonsense.

PrettyLA made a valid point too, that some people are misinterpreted because it's sometimes hard to type out what they are really feeling. Don't give up on us, we're not all bad. :p

It's the mystery of humans. I don't get it either. I try to be as polite as I can, although I'm sure I've probably offended someone, although I never intend to.

I think a lot of times people are misinterpreted because they can't express how they truly feel when they type it out.

Good comments....I don't mean to be rude...most of the time this is an alternative stress reliever for me...and I know some of my comments probably have not been understood with the feeling of the moment that they were intended to be.

That being said...God have mercy on us!!! People are always such an interesting sort.....glad I am not Bruce....wait....I have been like Bruce.... (Bruce Almighty)....:D:D:D:rolleyes:

Welcome A-Board to the list!!!!

That is a good point, but I will add that as a nursing manager, I am always telling the staff ... it is NOT WHAT you say ...it is HOW you say it!!!

Welcome to the boards KimsAunt!!! Some people are just very passonate about their cruiseline and/or a particular ship. While others just have it in their nature to always be right. Take it with a grain of salt. You'll soon learn who offers advice without being rude or being overly opinionated.

As someone mentioned above, part, or perhaps a majority, of the issue is from people writing quickly and coming off in a manner in which they did not intend.

I also believe there are two other contributing factors. One, since posts are anonymous (if one chooses not to provide information about oneself), people may tend to be more aggressive or definitive in their answers. Management studies have shown anonymity brings out a different side of people. Two, I believe there is also some element of group think taking place, as you would expect on affinity boards such as CC’s. The fun part would be working on a way to get a dissertation out of this involving first hand research on a cruise.

This message board is far better than others I have visited. If you think it is rough here check out some of the sports message boards or pro-wrestling boards or the American Idol board when a season is in full force. Any board that has political discussions can get very nasty, too.

People here are really very civilized, all in all. There are moments, but really over time you will see that it is very mild here.

People are a bit passionate about their cruise lines - unless you are like me and like trying every cruise line!

Welcome to the boards - these are the best boards on the internet as far as getting questions answered. Just don't take anything personally.

I totally get where you're coming from, but people are people and it's just the way some of them are, whether on a discussion board or not. I put those who are consistently mean and rude on my Ignore List, but it does surprise me as well.

That is a good point, but I will add that as a nursing manager, I am always telling the staff ... it is NOT WHAT you say ...it is HOW you say it!!!

:) First of all, allow me to welcome you to the message boards.

I have been a member since December 2002. When I first came to the message boards I took much of what was posted personal. I then left the boards for a period of time, thus my nickname lol.

If nothing else, the best lesson I learned was if a thread disturbs me I don't read it anymore. Sometimes that can be hard to do.

I also think that the frequent debates/challenges from one member to another is just the nature of the beast (message boards are like that most everywhere).

Mostly though, the wealth of information is priceless. The number of very courteous members out numbers those not so courteous ones.

About being anonymous though, be careful, you might just meet during a meet & mingle one day.

I had everyone on our Roll Call come to our OS on FOS last year for sail away drinks. Loved them all, and glad we met!

Personally, I don't think it's specific to cruise message boards, but specific to the internet. If you go almost anywhere, people seem to be more assertive, agressive, rude, or just badly behaved when they can be anonymous.

Add that to a subject they feel strongly about (they would be here if they didn't), and you can have a loss of control.

I know when I blow it here, it's usually because someone has behaved rudely toward someone else. However, sometimes sarcasm is misread as anger or agressive. Without the body language, and the inflection of verbal speech, it's like we're filtering it all through our own viewer, and that can lead to misinterpretations.

So, do as the above posters recommend, shield yourself from those that annoy, and enjoy the rest. There are some great people on these boards; and, some real turkeys, too.:D :D

Hi, Kims Aunt. I hope that you are finding these boards to be a good source of information about cruising, because they really are.

I am somewhat puzzled by your post.

I guess that I could understand better if I knew to which posts or threads you are reacting. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Welcome to the CC boards Kim's Aunt-

As has been mentioned, try to take any "irritating" postings with a grain of salt ...

If you see anything problematic which contravenes the community guidelines, then hit the triangle button on the upper right corner of the post to alert the particular forum moderators. You can also block/ignore certain posters if desired.

I personally have found this site to be a wealth of info over the years, and have met many nice people through get togethers onboard. Some people do tend to appear as "cheerleaders" for a particular line at times, but on the whole I think you'll find the majority of opinions given very straight forward; and we all have a common love of cruising.

Happy sailing,

Dave

I am somewhat puzzled by your post.

I guess that I could understand better if I knew to which posts or threads you are reacting. :confused:

Actually I was wondering the same thing . . .

Like most of us, I have certainly seen some uncalled-for remarks, some name calling and even a bit of flat-out hate speech. But in my experience, it's relatively rare, and it's typically focused on some pretty inflammatory topics. I can't say that I've really seen much rudeness about people's choice of cruiseline or ships.

Now, you might find somebody who says "I can't stand the Freedom-class ships" or "I have no interest in the Sovereign class," and it might be right after a post by somebody who says how much she loves them . . . but I don't think that's necessarily rude (even if it could be phrased more diplomatically ;)). My favorite ship might be your least favorite, and that's okay. We all have different opinions, and it's a darn good thing too -- otherwise we'd all be fighting for the same cabins on the same ships on the same itinerary! :p

As for different cruiselines . . . well, I have seen some unfavorable opinions about a couple of different lines. But very seldom do I find them offensive. There is one line I have no interest in trying, and one line that I've used before and probably never will again. And if somebody asks me why, I'll tell them . . . does that make me rude? :confused:

Again, this is only based on my experience. Kim's Aunt, you might be referring to a specific thread or post that I just didn't see.

You are posting on the Royal Caribbean board so most people here have already decided they like RCI.

My wife and I have decided that we will cruise RCI as much as we can unless we find another line with a cruise that RCI doesn't offer.

People here sometimes tend to be passionate in their opinions!

Take it in your stride and enjoy yourself here on the RCI board.

True, but for many of us that doesn't mean that we only like RCI. We've had great RCI cruises. Loved 'em. We've also had great cruises on other lines. I visit various forums here, not just the one. Certainly there are enthusiasts on each forum who seem to think that cruise line sluts like me should be flogged.

beachchick

Archived