Cruise photos for solos

sealegirl

Does anyone have solo photos taken by the ship's crew they'd be willing to share so I can see how the cruiseline will pose you if you're by yourself... especially for formal nights and embarkation. How awkward is it to get pics done on formal night by yourself? Anything I should know?

Not sure as to why you're asking this question. I'm posed the same as any other passenger. The only difference is that I'm the only one in the photo!

There's nothing awkward about it.

Roz

Hi,:) not sure how one can look too alone?:eek:

There are many times for photos...the ship's photographers usually

come around to every dinner table on formal nights......if you prefer

not to have your picture taken, just tell them to pass.

There are backgrounds set up outside of the dining room and

usually in the Grand Foyer areas for pictures as well......

I have been sailing solo for 4 years and sometimes I don't even

have my taken.......but as for feeling too alone? I have never

felt awkward.

Sounds like that might be a bit of insecurity...and I don't mean

that as being rude. It is just the way I am reading your post.

Hey, I have felt awkward cruising alone! If other travelers never have, well, that's nice for them. But yes, as a solo woman (most of my life!), I have from time to time felt awkward. Yes, people do stare at me sometimes. But I don't let that interrupt my love of travel and especially cruising.

I am now addicted to Seabourn cruise lines, who, by the way, treat solo travelers like royalty! But my first "real" cruise was on the beautiful Holland America Amsterdam to Alaska, and I got a gorgeous picture taken on formal night, me standing there in front of the background, smiling. It was very nice and I even have it hanging on the wall in my house. I'm sorry that I don't have a digital one to share with you.

I don't walk through life always being comfortable. That doesn't mean I let it stop me from doing things I love to do. You'll have a wonderful time, just walk up there and smile, and ask for a picture. Then take it home, hang it up, and remember all the fun you had!

Best wishes,

Jane

I had my picture taken on QE2 with the Titanic staircase as the background and all the family wanted copies when they saw it. I have to agree I looked great, as a solo you saw more of the staircase but the photographers do a good job and you only buy the photos you like.

I have had my picture taken many times alone with the crew and never

felt any different if its a group picture. There is no reason to shy away from getting your picture taken.

Here are some of my pictures from my first cruise last year (on the Noordam). I'm glad for the cruise shots...as a solo, I wouldn't have too many other pictures to prove I was on the trip!! :) For my next trips, I may have to rely a little more on the kindness of my fellow passengers to take some pictures of me (at diner and such) so I can have more photos with me in it for my albums.

34%3A6%3B%3C586%7Ffp6%3A%3Dwp%3E2323%3D895%3D5%3A%3A%3D32328954%3B9494vq0mrj

34%3A6%3B%3C586%7Ffp63%3Dwp%3E2323%3D895%3D597%3D32328954%3A6%3B59vq0mrj

34%3A6%3B%3C586%7Ffp6%3B%3Dwp%3E2374%3D76%3A%3D7%3B7%3DXROQDF%3E2323685%3B4%3A93%3Bwp1lsi

Hey, I have felt awkward cruising alone! If other travelers never have, well, that's nice for them. But yes, as a solo woman (most of my life!), I have from time to time felt awkward. Yes, people do stare at me sometimes. But I don't let that interrupt my love of travel and especially cruising.

I am now addicted to Seabourn cruise lines, who, by the way, treat solo travelers like royalty! But my first "real" cruise was on the beautiful Holland America Amsterdam to Alaska, and I got a gorgeous picture taken on formal night, me standing there in front of the background, smiling. It was very nice and I even have it hanging on the wall in my house. I'm sorry that I don't have a digital one to share with you.

I don't walk through life always being comfortable. That doesn't mean I let it stop me from doing things I love to do. You'll have a wonderful time, just walk up there and smile, and ask for a picture. Then take it home, hang it up, and remember all the fun you had!

Best wishes,

Jane

I heard a story once about a woman who went out to dinner by herself. She was very uncomfortable and was certain that people were staring at her, especially other women. She assumed everybody was wondering why she was alone, how sad, etc., but someone came up to her and said how inspired they were by this gutsy woman who was confident enough to go out by herself!

I see so many people traveling together who obviously aren't enjoying each other's company, who argue about what to do, how much money they're spending, and so on.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have solo photos taken by the ship's crew they'd be willing to share so I can see how the cruiseline will pose you if you're by yourself... especially for formal nights and embarkation. How awkward is it to get pics done on formal night by yourself? Anything I should know?

Folks I've been cruising solo for the last 6 years, I was 37 years old when I started cruising alone. For someone to ask a question like this may be more of indicative of the individual themselves, cruising and cruise ships have simply have nothing to do with it. I continue to remain astonished at some of the questions raised on these boards. WOW!!! What a shame. Todd

Todd -

You're obviously on the wrong website. We come here to ask questions and learn.

Theresa

Theresa...thanks for posting that:) .....and you were a lot kinder

than I was planning to be:eek:

Todd, that reply was a bit harsh:( ......yes, we are all different people

with different feelings about the solo thing....and maybe the OP

is a bit insecure about it......I am astonished at the tone of your

Todd....this person had the courage to speak out and say something that may be true for a lot of women traveling alone....that sometimes we feel a bit intimidated. Your response was unhelpful and unkind. I hope it does not shut down the OP from speaking out about things that concern her.

To sealegirl, keep asking honest questions. Most people are understanding and appreciate such a forthright sort of discussion. Ignore rude people. They are, fortunately, in the minority on threads like these.

Jane

Thanks to the last three posters... they get it. You know, I'm 21. I'm going on my first cruise, by myself. This has nothing to do with insecurity, I don't want my visible memories of the cruise to look like poorly posed school yearbook pics, and I don't want to be easy prey for anyone prowling onboard. I know that there will be pics taken of me, and while I'm very much not ashamed of cruising solo, I don't want other people knowing I'm solo, because it can invite the wrong kind of attention. I've had bad experiences on other trips I've done solo. I also want good memories of my trip, and I want to be proud to show my pics to everyone back home.

Sea, I am re-reading your last post...

quote:

"I don't want other people knowing I'm solo, because it can invite the wrong kind of attention. I've had bad experiences on other trips I've done solo"

This is just my opinion...and maybe it is because I am old enough

to be your mom;) ..and have lived longer?

But I have never worried about anyone knowing I am on my own.

Sorry about your prior bad experiences:( but all my cruises have

been wonderful.:)

You do what you feel is best of course:) but for me, being solo

is just part of who I am....if someone asks or we are talking about this and that, I have no problems

saying I have been divorced for eons.....

Oh, all my memories of cruising are fantastic!!!

Im definitely on the wrong website, actually to be more specific Im on the wrong board. I remember getting off the Carnival Destiny in July of '96 there had been over 600 children on this sailing, 95% of which were unattended. I have no children dont want any and have no interest in babysitting someone else's especially on my cruise vacation. The jacuzzi's were so full of soft serve ice cream they had to be shut down twice. The crew was at wits end and all things considered it was a terrible experience. I came home and made a post about all these unattended children and worthless parents I didnt hear the end of it for about 3 months. I had every mommy and every granny on AOL sending me nasty e-mails on the boards as well as personally. 6 months later the"unattended children bogus parents thread" was every other thread on the Carnival board, thought it was just me!!! Dont worry you wont see me post anymore I just thought things had changed a little when it came to asking genuinely or simply honest questions when it came to these boards. Obviously thats still anything but the case. Sorry for any misunderstanding. Take care Todd

Sealegirl - I'll be taking my first solo cruise in October 2008. I'm definitely old enough to be your mother so my motherly advice would be to check out the roll call for your sailing. Chat with some of the folks who will be cruising with you. Then on your cruise, you'll have an opportunity to spend as little or as much time together with the CC'ers you chatted with. I just think you might find it comforting to move about the ship and occasionally see someone you know.

Photos - there are usually several places set up onboard for photo opportunities. Just step in line, get your pix taken and go find another line to get in. Chances are the more you have taken, the more relaxed you'll become and therefore get a photo you're happy with. Besides, you only have to pay for the ones you want to keep!

I'd guess chances are slim that someone is going to wade through the literal thousands of cruise photos, looking for a woman cruising alone. How would anyone looking at your photo know whether you had a muscle-bound jealous boyfriends sailing with you who just happened to be camera shy?;)

Off the subject - I admire the fact that you're going to venture out on your own. Although I absolutely love to travel, the cruise I'm taking next year will be my first-ever solo vacation. Enjoy your cruise as much as I know I will mine!

Cindy

Sealegirl -- Being much older than 21 and a single man, it never occurred to me to be concerned about the pictures taken and the signal to others that you are traveling solo. I think your concern are perfectly valid. It is one thing to letting others who you are meeting and talking to know on a one-on-one basis that you are traveling solo but another to let every stranger on this ship know it, including some (inevitably) people you would rather not have to deal with who may think every young single woman on board is just dying to meet them.

One solution, of course, is to not have your picture taken. It is always voluntary (except perhaps for for the boarding picture). Another solution that I have used is to buy the picture so it won't be on display. (Needless to say, not one of my better days (LOL).) If you want a nice picture of yourself but do not want it posted, you can ask when they will be put on display and get there early. You can probably ask them to take it off display even if you don't buy it--they have no interest in posting a picture that will not result in a sale.

In terms of the quality of the picture, I am sure that depends on the photographer, but they are all professionals and I think the photos usually look pretty good.

Sealegirl,

As another single guy that is a lot older than you I agree with what others have said. I do a lot of things in life by myself just as others here do. Even guys sometimes get comments saying, "You are doing that by yourself?". My standard answer is as follows: "If I didn't do all these things on my own I would just be home looking at the walls or watching TV". Since we are only on this earth for a short period I prefer to enjoy myself and see what I can, single or not. You will meet some interesting people along the way and maybe make friends that will last for many years. I met a married couple back in the mid 90's on a cruise and they have proved to be wonderful friends over the years. We talk all the time and even cruise together from time to time.

Plan your trip to do what interest you and what you want to see. Don't worry about anyone else and if you do meet some friends that is a bonus. So take the advice that all of us older folks have said and have a good time. BTW, don't forget you can alway have someone else take your picture with your camera. I see people all the time that look like they need someone to take their picture and I volunteer because I like to help them. Don't be shy, most will love to help you and you never know that might be an opportunity to make friends.

Have fun

As for Carnival all I can say is, it is true there are more kids on them especially on the shorter cruises and when school is out. As a general rule, there are fewer kids when school is in session and when the cruise is longer and or more expensive. Usually there is an adult only pool so you can go there if you want to. I have a 14 day Carnival cruise next spring and I don't expect many kids on it although there will be some.

When I went on my solo in Feb I didn't go to formal night, so I didn't get a formal photo taken, but on all of my excursions I asked other people to take pics and everyone gladly said yes. You would be surprised how nice people can be! It's much, much cheaper. You could probably do the same on formal night. Just bring your camera, find a nice place on the ship and ask someone to take a photo of you in your dress--it'll be on your camera and no one else will know. Plus it will be more realistic rather than a staged backdrop.

If you do decided to get a professional photo, even if your photo does appear to everyone, there will be other solos there as well, and there will be too many people and too many photos for anyone to find you.

• 2 weeks later...

Sealegirl, it seems most of us solo travelers are lots older than you. Personally, my granddaughter is close to your age (she'll be 19 soon) and if she was asking the question, I'd give her the same advice I'm giving you. Don't be afraid to let others know you're traveling solo -- it'll make the older folks watch out for you and you'll find other travelers in your age range to have fun with. But, don't leave your "land" common sense at home. Just like on land if you go somewhere alone, you're cautious and aware of your surroundings. Do the same on a cruiseship. Be friendly, but not naive. On land you wouldn't give a total stranger your address, so don't go around broadcasting your cabin number. Trust your instincts. If you're alone on deck or in a hallway and the hair on the back of your neck stands up, pay attention. Above all, be safe. You'll have a wonderful time and will have lots of nice photos and fond memories of your cruise. I know, this post is so grandmotherly, but I can't help myself.

Hi,

I have to applaud you for doing a solo cruise. Have you signed up for the roll call for your sailing date? On one of my cruises, we met a guy we had been chatting with the board. Turns out that at dinner that first night, he was seated at a 4 top with another couple and himself. He remembered our table number and found out that we had 7 at an 8 top. He promptly relocated and became known as they gentleman who dined with 7 women each evening. We've also hung out with our tablemates in port, headed to the beach, shopping, shared taxis, etc. It's fun to meet so many new friends that you might even keep in contact with them and do future cruises together.

This is me travelling solo!! Granduer of the Seas, May 2005, we still have our MeetnGreet thread going!!

That cruise, thanks to all the great people I met on this board was the best cruise I have had since becoming a solo. And as for children on ships, I never see them.. maybe because Im not looking ?

269079294.jpg.005ffb8b6685b5b6b2232a3a94e4863d.jpg

269079290.jpg.cc9992a633ee86b6fedbbe51e112f6c8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am in my late 20's (female) and like the OP, I can completely understand the nervousness of having other people know you are on your own. It is a sad fact of life about the world we live in that a young woman on her own is an easy target, whether walking through a carpark at night or as an obvious tourist. My trick has always been to try and act like I belong, wherever I am! It is also the reason that I tend to prefer taking group tours when visiting somewhere new. I am taking my first solo cruise early next year so I will be booking shore excursions for each of my shore days to ensure that I see the best of the place I'm visiting and to ensure my (relative) personal safety!

I do agree with the respondents who suggested asking other cruisers to take a photo of you if you are concerned about "advertising" your solo-ness by having it done professionally. Another alternative to consider is having your photo taken with others, by the first formal night I'm sure you will have made a few friends, so why not ask if they would like to have their photo taken with you so you can remember your new friends.

In response to some of the more insensitive responses to the OP's original question, I think it is wonderful that you are all so confident in yourselves that you never feel insecure or foolish, bravo! However not everyone in this world is so blessed and it may have taken the OP a lot of courage to ask her question only to get criticised by others who are lucky enough to be blessed with strong self-confidence. Next time try some tact, I noticed that despite your criticisms not one of you posted a sample photo for her, so perhaps you're not quite as secure as you claim to be!!!

OP......I have seen so many "solo" pics in the photo gallery. I doubt very much that anyone is "prowling" them to see who is single. I have travelled for many years by myself and started cruising by myself last year. I think you will find that cruising is one of the safest ways to travel. I found myself going to shows after dinner (which I would never do on a land trip after dark), eating dinner in the dining rooms and thoroughly enjoying myself (amazing how being a solo travel opens up conversations....and most people are impressed that I go alone), sitting in the lounge areas of bars and nursing a diet coke. As with land, I dont invite anyone to my cabin and if I meet someone, it is always in a public place. Last year I had my photo taken "informally" as well as this year. Next cruise, I will do a formal pic. It sounds like you might be overthinking this solo thing on a ship. Please don't......you will ruin it for yourself.

Archived