prefer windjammer over Dining room ?

We only eat in the Windjammer (or in a speciality restaurant).

I's so relaxing, you don't have to dressup to much, go at a time you want to eat, and have all the time.

Are there other people who prefer the Windjammer over the Dining room?

You never see much people in the Windjammer at dinner time.

Theo

Under the right circumstances, the Windjammer is the place for us. Other than this recent cruise where we went with my family to celebrate my parents 50th anniversary, we usually base it on how we feel. If we are tired from the long day and don't feel like getting "dressed" for dinner, then we just hit the WJ, have a more relaxing dinner and then unwind. Sometimes it's right. And the great thing about cruising is it is always there and an option.

The fun of cruising is that you can mix and match. It is best not to have firm rules. Go where the mood takes you. Where there is a speciality restaurant, we always like to try it at least once. On formal nights and sea days, it can be fun to dress up for the main restaurant. On other days, an early Windjammer goes down very well.

We prefer the windjammer for breakfast and lunch but head to the dining room for dinner.

If you recall the theme song from the TV show "Cheers" which went...

"Where Everybody Knows Your Name"

It is so nice to be welcomed to you table by name and have your favorite drinks ready for you and have superb service while you dine.

To me,

- The Dining Rooms are where you "Dine"

- The Windjammer is where you "eat dinner"

But, to each his own, we all go on these cruises to enjoy ourselves and we all choose how best to do that. :D

We only eat in the Windjammer. It's a nice quiet place to go and get away from the crowds at dinner time. They do get to know you by name and we have had some really great service. Sometimes they will get you 2nd's of something you really liked or offer to have something custom made for you. Since they are not so busy, they really have time to fuss over you. There is white linen and the lights are low so it is really very nice.

We only eat in the Windjammer. It's a nice quiet place to go and get away from the crowds at dinner time. They do get to know you by name and we have had some really great service. Sometimes they will get you 2nd's of something you really liked or offer to have something custom made for you. Since they are not so busy, they really have time to fuss over you. There is white linen and the lights are low so it is really very nice.

Oh, thank you for explaining about the tablecloths. I just assumed the WJ at dinner was the same as at lunch, and we've never gone.

Viv

We will occasionally do Windjammer for lunch, but prefer the dining room for breakfast and dinner. We will do the specialty restaurants IF our tablemates are a bit....well, not so personable! That's only happened on 1 cruise, tho.

We like the ambiance of the dining room--less noisy, better service, no "dirty hands" messing with the serving utensils.... It just seems more civilized!

We will occasionally do Windjammer for lunch, but prefer the dining room for breakfast and dinner. We will do the specialty restaurants IF our tablemates are a bit....well, not so personable! That's only happened on 1 cruise, tho.

We like the ambiance of the dining room--less noisy, better service, no "dirty hands" messing with the serving utensils.... It just seems more civilized!

On our last two cruise aboard Serenade and Adventure we had almost every dinner in the Windjammer. Some items will be offered in both the dining room and the Windajmmer. Some items will only be offered in the dining room and some only in the Windjammer.

I much prefer eating dinner in the windjammer. It is quiet with a very nice atmosphere. There is no one rushing around and you can eat at your leasure without worrying about being there at a certain time or having to be out by a certain time. I found that it made the cruises quite relaxing. We sat in the same area each evening and had the same waiter. He was very attentive to us. And though you do go up to get your own food I rather prefer doing that.

When we cruise next I'm sure we will be using the Windjammer again instead of the dining room.

I have read many of Aquacruiser's reviews and she recently tried the WJ for dinner and has been raving about it. We have always eaten in the DR, Portafino's, or once at Johnny Rockets. I am planning some casual nights, eating earlier than the 2nd seating, and trying out the WJ.

Eating in the dining room is a major part of our cruise experience; something we look forward to each day! That's why we'd switch cruiselines if RCI ever went away from traditional dining. We're glad they have the WJ "personal choice" option.

Dinner in the Windjammer is very relaxing and quiet. It worked wonderfully for us recently when we had an excursion that we didn't get back to the ship until 6 and had main seating. Windjammer had mood lighting, live music (very nice guitarist), cloth tablecloths and excellent service. Food was hot and delicious. We made a plate of desserts and coffee and took it down to our balcony for sail away. We plan on doing this again on our next cruise.

We'll hit the buffet for a quick snack, or for breakfast if we want to get off the ship quickly, but in general I much prefer the dining room. Standing in a buffet line like a third grader is not my idea of vacation.

I am, however, glad there are different options available to appeal to everyone.

We'll hit the buffet for a quick snack, or for breakfast if we want to get off the ship quickly, but in general I much prefer the dining room. Standing in a buffet line like a third grader is not my idea of vacation.

I am, however, glad there are different options available to appeal to everyone.

We've gone dining room commando on some cruises...the WJ at night is a whole new territory, it's quieter than the dining room. It's relaxed and intimate and there are no lines anywhere to be standing in. It really is quite nice and as long as everyone continues to prefer the tumult of the dining room, the WJ will remain an oasis from the crowds for me.

We tend to use the WJ and alternate dining venues more when we fly to port as it eliminates the need for formal wear too. We have a 12-night planned that requires 3 formals and after 3 or 4 cruises a year, the joy of the pageantry diminishes. We will continue to use the dining room, just not exclusively.

Different strokes for different folks....personal choice is what it's all about. :)

My wife and I are going on our first RCI cruise in a couple of months (the short 4 day out of LA).

I was shocked last night when she told me that we are not going to the formal dinner but rather get a bite to eat at the windjammer. She said she just doesn’t want to drag along formal attire this time on such a short cruise. Needless to say I am a very happy man about this:D .

I hope the Windjammer is as nice as what has been posted here (not much into buffet style places). We both just don’t get too excited about dressing up anymore. We enjoy just being ourselves in casual dress and surroundings. Maybe I will need to look into going back to NCL for our next cruise and enjoy their “free style” dinning. But perhaps RCI has the same thing going with the windjammer?

John

My wife and I are going on our first RCI cruise in a couple of months (the short 4 day out of LA).

I was shocked last night when she told me that we are not going to the formal dinner but rather get a bite to eat at the windjammer. She said she just doesn’t want to drag along formal attire this time on such a short cruise. Needless to say I am a very happy man about this:D .

I hope the Windjammer is as nice as what has been posted here (not much into buffet style places). We both just don’t get too excited about dressing up anymore. We enjoy just being ourselves in casual dress and surroundings. Maybe I will need to look into going back to NCL for our next cruise and enjoy their “free style” dinning. But perhaps RCI has the same thing going with the windjammer?

John

For a 4-day, you could mix it up with a combination of room service, Sorrentos, WJ or just pick a nice place to eat while in port. Sounds free-style to me. Enjoy!

We enjoy the dining room, but on HAL the buffet actually had filet mignon every night. On that cruise we had late seating and ate the buffet a few nights because we were hungry early. Top it off with their own real ice cream, not soft serve, and it was tempting.

If you eat in the WJ, what do you do about dining room tips. I generally would not tip if I didn't use that service at all. But, the staff depends on tips for their income. I tipped the full amount on HAL for that reason, but don't know what I would do if I ate all my meals in the WJ.

Archived