Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I'm back! Had a great cruise. Was good food for thought - as I found myself "how would I handle this situation" if I'd had Jagger. Elevators especially as we know they can be deadly to a dog.

I go for a private class with Jagger tomorrow. Will be so good to see him. :)

Loved the photo Host Walt!

Booked another cruise while I was on board, which I promptly changed to one of their smaller ships. Less expensive, and I think much easier to get around. Decided to go ahead and get a handicapped cabin. I always refused to do so as I didn't want to take one away from someone in a wheelchair. I beat myself up a little on this last cruise getting in and out with my walker, so figured it was reasonable to book one.

Now to catch up on your posts!

Holly

Hi everyone-

My wife and I have a Service Canine who is 6 years old. He's traveled extensively with us throughout the US and Europe. We're planning to take him on a 16 day cruise and my question stems from the "10 day health certificate". After 16 days at sea, our "10 day health certificate" will be expired. We'll be debarking in Spain and then flying (same day) to our home, which is abroad. How do you deal with the need for a current health certificate to enter your final destination? We will, technically, be transiting countries en route to our home; but, I'm uncertain as to how it will be dealt with. We will leave BCN and fly to Istanbul (my wife has transited "IST/SAW" and we have confidence that will not be a problem as they have a dedicated transit desk) Then we fly home.

My concern is in Barcelona, to actually board our flight and then in The Kingdom of Bahrain which is where our home is. To board in BCN we will not have the opportunity to get a current Health Certificate- Then, we know that the Kingdom of Bahrain requires a current Health Certificate, to enter; so, we have concerns about flying into there as well. Any thoughts?

These are not uncommon circumstances for travel by ship. It happens with travel to Hawaii [since they require a rabies titer test within a certain amount of time] and that time can not be met when coming into an Hawaiian port via cruise ship. Special accommodations are made for guests entering any port, be it foreign or domestic via ship.

The immigration officials in these ports will recognize that your dog has been onboard a ship and has NOT had the opportunity to get certain testings done but has met all the immunization requirements to board said ship.

Anyone want to see an adorable puppy photo?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7g8fkSeGGFsbzhtNmZEQ3ltcVE/view?usp=sharing

After reading your "tails" for the last few years, plus enjoying the grand-pup, I'm getting my own. Hubby can't believe we are doing this, but we are going to enjoy it!

Timing could be better - it will only be home for a week before we leave for two weeks, but a dear friend agreed to puppy sit while we are gone. Thank goodness for friends with farms!

The kids are grown, so now for a new adventure! I've never raised a puppy before, and he is half-golden. I'm combing through all your old comments about food and chews and ear infections, etc.

Edited by Algebralovr

Anyone want to see an adorable puppy photo?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7g8fkSeGGFsbzhtNmZEQ3ltcVE/view?usp=sharing

After reading your "tails" for the last few years, plus enjoying the grand-pup, I'm getting my own. Hubby can't believe we are doing this, but we are going to enjoy it!

Timing could be better - it will only be home for a week before we leave for two weeks, but a dear friend agreed to puppy sit while we are gone. Thank goodness for friends with farms!

The kids are grown, so now for a new adventure! I've never raised a puppy before, and he is half-golden. I'm combing through all your old comments about food and chews and ear infections, etc.

Those faces are so, so adorable......."mush faces".......that's what I call them! Congratulations!!!!! Your life will NEVER be the same, on so many levels and in so many ways!!!!!

I'm so happy for you!!!!

We are back from Las Vegas and I am happy to report that Henri did beautifully. The airplane flights were a breeze – she laid down between us on the floor. We were lucky enough to have the three seats in the bulkhead row to ourselves. JetBlue was very accommodating; we asked nicely if they could fill that third seat as one of the last seats and they were happy to help us out. Our cab drivers to and from the airport were both dog lovers and loved having Henri along for the ride. We did get a call from the front desk half way through our stay saying that housekeeping reported that we had a dog in our room. We told them that she was a service dog (we had her with us when we checked in –you can’t hide a 65 lb dog!) and had no more problems. Henri’s favorite thing to do in Las Vegas was taking a nap in the hotel room. We are taking her on a ferry ride to test her sea legs and then I think we will be ready for our first cruise with her in October.

I am sorry to hear of Cindy’s last minute scramble to deal with the potty box. If we don’t have enough to worry about with a wheelchair, a dog, the airline arrangements, transportation and everything else required - it isn’t too much to ask (or too difficult) to get the potty box right. The artificial grass that we have in Henri’s relief box that my husband built in our yard is from Home Depot. It comes in a large piece that we cut in half and saved the rest. I may bring that other piece with us on our cruise. Henri is pretty good about going on any surface though; she is okay with mulch, gravel, dirt or grass.

Roz, I can just picture you doing your best Lucy impression!

Bonnie sounds like she has a wonderful personality. Who wouldn’t want to give her a big hug?

The picture from Walt is priceless.

Welcome back Holly. I am sure that you are looking forward to you next cruise already.

Barb – congrats on your new puppy. There is nothing better than puppy cuddles.

Dianne

Welcome back, Holly! So glad you had a good cruise. Was Jagger excited to see you?

Barb, I have looked at that photo three times already. What could be cuter! Post lots of pics when you get home from your trip - can't wait to see another member of this "family" growing up!

Dianne, I was so encouraged to read that all went well on your Las Vegas trip. I haven't been on a plane yet with my girl since we usually drive to Florida ports. Glad you had a fun time!

. We did get a call from the front desk half way through our stay saying that housekeeping reported that we had a dog in our room. We told them that she was a service dog (we had her with us when we checked in –you can’t hide a 65 lb dog!) and had no more problems.

Dianne

Dianne, many years ago, when I had my first SD, Brenda, we were in Vegas and my DH heard a loud knocking on our door at 6:00am. He peeked out the door and saw a hotel guard. He asked what the problem was and the guard said, "it's been reported that you have a dog in the room, and you MUST leave the hotel!" I went to the door and explained she was a Service Dog and I showed him CCI's ID card and Brenda's vest. I also told him that we checked-in with the dog, etc., etc. He profusely apologized and left. He scared the bejeebers out of us!!!!

We got dressed and went immediately to the front desk. I asked to speak with the Hotel Manager and we were given a free stay in the hotel along with complimentary passes to see Mystere [the show at the time.]

Most times when people get uppity about my SD I just explain it and let it go, but this was over-the-top and the guard was a little too overly zealous!!!!

I must say that since that incident and many others in the early days......our dogs have a much, much easier time in the public and have become more accepted. Thank goodness!!!!

Most businesses are doing a good job in training their staff in what to say and what to do when they encounter an SD. There are still some issues but they are few and far between. ;)

I made our whale watching tour reservations with Orca Enterprises last night. I spoke to Captain Larry. He was very helpful. He said this year the first tour would be at 11:30 AM. I told him that seemed a little late so since we were the first ones booking that day, he would try and see if he could get enough people to do a 9:00 AM tour. He also gave us a 15% discount as an early bird special. One more thing checked off the long list.

I made our whale watching tour reservations with Orca Enterprises last night. I spoke to Captain Larry. He was very helpful. He said this year the first tour would be at 11:30 AM. I told him that seemed a little late so since we were the first ones booking that day, he would try and see if he could get enough people to do a 9:00 AM tour. He also gave us a 15% discount as an early bird special. One more thing checked off the long list.

Sounds like so much fun!!! Does Orson go on this excursion with you?

Hey Everyone - I know we are all animal lovers here - I wanted to share with you one of my favorite websites - the live eagle cam in SW Florida:

http://www.dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html

We just had two new eagles born - E7 and E8 - the mom's name is Harriet and the dad for the first time is M15.

Last year was a real soap opera - eagle watching can be fantastic fun and terrible heartache - just to warn you. We lost both an eaglet and Ozzie who was Harriet's companion for who knows how many years and many a tear was shed. This is Nature at work and there is no interference allowed from the people world. You can catch up on everything that happened by reading the blog if you have a mind to.

Our SW Eagles are world famous and have been written up in USA Today among other publications and have thousands of followers.

I hope some of you will join me in watching the adventures of Harriet, M15 and E7 and E8.

Keith

Edited by alexspepa

I asked about that and was told Orson would not be a problem. Don't worry, he wants no part of going in the water.

Either does Horton....He could care less about the water. He prefers a new squeaky toy or a chance to chase a ball in an empty lounge.

Brenda loved the smell, sight and sounds of the ocean. She loved to go play in the surf and couldn't wait to go walking out by the pools. She'd scare me to death because she always looked like she was about ready to jump in the pool or over the side of the ship!

Horton sniffs the air and then can't wait to go back inside!

Hey Everyone - I know we are all animal lovers here - I wanted to share with you one of my favorite websites - the live eagle cam in SW Florida:

http://www.dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html

We just had two new eagles born - E7 and E8 - the mom's name is Harriet and the dad for the first time is M15.

Last year was a real soap opera - eagle watching can be fantastic fun and terrible heartache - just to warn you. We lost both an eaglet and Ozzie who was Harriet's companion for who knows how many years and many a tear was shed. This is Nature at work and there is no interference allowed from the people world. You can catch up on everything that happened by reading the blog if you have a mind to.

Our SW Eagles are world famous and have been written up in USA Today among other publications and have thousands of followers.

I hope some of you will join me in watching the adventures of Harriet, M15 and E7 and E8.

Keith

Keith, thank you so much for sharing Ozzie & Harriet with us. I loved reading about them. Some of it is so sad but it's nature truly at it's very, very best!

Dianne, many years ago, when I had my first SD, Brenda, we were in Vegas and my DH heard a loud knocking on our door at 6:00am. He peeked out the door and saw a hotel guard. He asked what the problem was and the guard said, "it's been reported that you have a dog in the room, and you MUST leave the hotel!" I went to the door and explained she was a Service Dog and I showed him CCI's ID card and Brenda's vest. I also told him that we checked-in with the dog, etc., etc. He profusely apologized and left. He scared the bejeebers out of us!!!!

We got dressed and went immediately to the front desk. I asked to speak with the Hotel Manager and we were given a free stay in the hotel along with complimentary passes to see Mystere [the show at the time.]

Most times when people get uppity about my SD I just explain it and let it go, but this was over-the-top and the guard was a little too overly zealous!!!!

I must say that since that incident and many others in the early days......our dogs have a much, much easier time in the public and have become more accepted. Thank goodness!!!!

Most businesses are doing a good job in training their staff in what to say and what to do when they encounter an SD. There are still some issues but they are few and far between. ;)

This was the first time I have had anyone say anything about Henri. We got it straightened out quickly. The JetBlue gate agent in San Francisco commented on how well behaved Henri was and that she could tell she was a real service dog. She said that she has seen a lot of people trying to pass off fake service dogs.

Dianne

I will be looking at booking this excusion too (May 2017). Is the boat fully accessible and does Orson go with you?

Have you been on the White Pass Railroad with your daughter in Skagway? Do you know if that is wheelchair accessible? I know you have been to Alaska before, I would be interested in any accessible excursions that you have been on.

thanks, Dianne

I will be looking at booking this excusion too (May 2017). Is the boat fully accessible and does Orson go with you?

Have you been on the White Pass Railroad with your daughter in Skagway? Do you know if that is wheelchair accessible? I know you have been to Alaska before, I would be interested in any accessible excursions that you have been on.

thanks, Dianne

I am told by Orca Enterprises that the boat is fully accessible. They have a ramp that the chair rolls right onto the boat. We did take the White Pass Railroad. Yes they do have an accessible train car. It was a great trip. As I recall they did not have tie-downs but none were needed. We actually faced my daughter in front of the windows so she had a better view. This year in Skagway we are doing the Scenic Summit, BBQ and Gold Panning. Enjoy panoramic views of the Skagway Valley on your way to Klondike Gold Fields for a barbecue lunch and gold panning! Except for a small portion of seeing the Dredge at the gold fields, it is supposed to be fully accessible. Even the bus. And yes...Orson does go with us on the whale watch and the gold panning.

Edited by DisneyKidsDad
added info

Oh, puppies and eagles! :)

So glad Henri did so well.

DKD: I will so enjoy hearing about your Alaskan adventures. That's on my bucket list.

I got to see Jagger yesterday and he was so happy to see me! We are working on him not jumping on me so I'm learning to approach very quietly while going "shhhhh". It works. Then he gets lots of cuddles.

We went to a state park on our private class yesterday. We took nine dogs. Jagger and I are really coming along. It's a matter of my learning to be firmer and "expect" things. He really does seem happier to let me make the decisions and him doing the jobs he knows.

This has been the hardest thing for me. I really am a softy and was letting him do things he shouldn't, like pull and wander. I just didn't want to be "mean". So we are getting there!

Of course I have to post a photo!

Holly

Oh, puppies and eagles! :)

So glad Henri did so well.

DKD: I will so enjoy hearing about your Alaskan adventures. That's on my bucket list.

I got to see Jagger yesterday and he was so happy to see me! We are working on him not jumping on me so I'm learning to approach very quietly while going "shhhhh". It works. Then he gets lots of cuddles.

We went to a state park on our private class yesterday. We took nine dogs. Jagger and I are really coming along. It's a matter of my learning to be firmer and "expect" things. He really does seem happier to let me make the decisions and him doing the jobs he knows.

This has been the hardest thing for me. I really am a softy and was letting him do things he shouldn't, like pull and wander. I just didn't want to be "mean". So we are getting there!

Of course I have to post a photo!

Holly

Holly, loved the pictures.

Brenda NEVER learned not to lunge. She thought it was her personal job to greet everyone and check everyone out. Not until she was around 10 years old then she mellowed and didn't pull on her leash all the time. Even the trainers had a hard time re-directing her.

Horton is such a wonderful walker and he NEVER lunges. It was so nice when I took him out into public for the first time and I was getting ready for the "lunge" and he just looked at me with that, "what's your problem blondie" look!

Each dog is so different!

I can't wait until Jagger is completely YOURS!

I am told by Orca Enterprises that the boat is fully accessible. They have a ramp that the chair rolls right onto the boat. We did take the White Pass Railroad. Yes they do have an accessible train car. It was a great trip. As I recall they did not have tie-downs but none were needed. We actually faced my daughter in front of the windows so she had a better view. This year in Skagway we are doing the Scenic Summit, BBQ and Gold Panning. Enjoy panoramic views of the Skagway Valley on your way to Klondike Gold Fields for a barbecue lunch and gold panning! Except for a small portion of seeing the Dredge at the gold fields, it is supposed to be fully accessible. Even the bus. And yes...Orson does go with us on the whale watch and the gold panning.

Thanks for the info DKD.

Dianne