Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I think in this instance it would be "WRUNG" NOT "RUNG!" My mistake! You know what I mean!!! I'd wring his neck till his ears rung!!!! :D

Either way we got the point! :p Horton could of used as a rag doll and shook him back and forth! I have a visual. I would love for someone at the front desk to tell you that they were "warned" you were coming. I just got a visual of the tall blonde with the even "Bigger" hair and the black dog standing in the middle of the check in counter! BOL. You have a great weekend. Can't wait for the report.........:o

Roz, that's so bizarre! I would - seriously - print that confirmation out and send it (or forward the email) to the hotel chain's CEO and the property’s general manager so they are aware they are being represented by a booking agent/agency that is potentially breaking Federal law on their behalf. Aside from that, the PR is bad, too.

No service dogs allowed. What?

We are in NC in our RV. Went to Piggly Wiggly (grocery chain) to stock up this morning, and a checker gave me a big smile as we entered. Later, as we were paying, she said, " Your service dog is just beautiful." Lovely lady, great customer service to the community of people with disabilities. That's why I return to spend my money there when we are in NC!

Can you believe this nonsense! Remember: You may make a reservation at a hotel without letting them know that you will be bringing your Service Dog with you!!!!

I wish I could have pulled this guy through the phone and rung his neck right in front of Horton!!!!!

That is what is so frustrating about the ADA - it has been in effective for 25 years and there are so many hotels, restaurants, etc. that have no idea on what the law is. I generally do not tell a hotel ahead of time that I am bringing a service dog; I do tell them of course when we check in.

Some day - maybe it will take 25 years - we won't have to fight for access. Until then we can just educate one establishment at a time.

Happy graduation to your granddaughter.

Dianne

That is what is so frustrating about the ADA - it has been in effective for 25 years and there are so many hotels, restaurants, etc. that have no idea on what the law is. I generally do not tell a hotel ahead of time that I am bringing a service dog; I do tell them of course when we check in.

Some day - maybe it will take 25 years - we won't have to fight for access. Until then we can just educate one establishment at a time.

The problem is that there are so many misunderstandings.

For example, Emotional Support Animals vs Service Dogs. ADA vs Fair Housing Act vs Carrier Access Act

SD in training vs SD

The list goes on.

Plus, the ability to go online and buy a vest doesn't help. Websites that offer to "register" your Service Animal, etc.

I met a woman in Petsmart a few weeks ago who had clearly bought the vest online. When I asked what her animal did for her, she started telling me about her car accident and how she couldn't bend over. Ok. She still didn't tell me what the dog did.

That dog was way too interested in Scooter. Now, maybe it was because Scooter was so interested in him, and Scooter was a bit less than controlled. He was only 3 months old at the time. He has a reason for not being under control. The dog in the vest? Not so much.

The sad thing is that we were in Petsmart. She was welcome to bring her dog into the store without a vest on if it could not maintain control.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Edited by Algebralovr

Either way we got the point! :p Horton could of used as a rag doll and shook him back and forth! I have a visual. I would love for someone at the front desk to tell you that they were "warned" you were coming. I just got a visual of the tall blonde with the even "Bigger" hair and the black dog standing in the middle of the check in counter! BOL. You have a great weekend. Can't wait for the report.........:o

Nancy, I wish there was a "turn-on" switch where we can have our dogs express our disdain for people who act badly towards them and us. Like just a huge growl or a showing of their big teeth!!!!!

When we got to the hotel.....NO PROBLEM.....The gal checking us in was delightful and even came out from behind the counter to pet and welcome Horton. This hotel has a strict "NO PETS" policy and I totally get that but that has NOTHING to do with our Service Dogs. DON'T ever be intimidated by that sign......Your Service Dog is NOT a "pet."

I was tired from the drive and I had to rush to get to the graduation on time so I didn't inform the hotel of the poor representation that they're getting from the website that I used. I'm not going to be coming back this way for a very long time, if ever [it's not easy as I get older to take these 5 hour road trips!]

The graduation was over the top wonderful, seeing all my children together was perfect and that's the most important!

Roz, that's so bizarre! I would - seriously - print that confirmation out and send it (or forward the email) to the hotel chain's CEO and the property’s general manager so they are aware they are being represented by a booking agent/agency that is potentially breaking Federal law on their behalf. Aside from that, the PR is bad, too.

No service dogs allowed. What?

We are in NC in our RV. Went to Piggly Wiggly (grocery chain) to stock up this morning, and a checker gave me a big smile as we entered. Later, as we were paying, she said, " Your service dog is just beautiful." Lovely lady, great customer service to the community of people with disabilities. That's why I return to spend my money there when we are in NC!

I have ALWAYS been welcome at this hotel when I've been here before with my Service Dogs. This is where I've been staying since 2002 [when I first got Brenda and wanted to show her off to my children], and then Horton so I was shocked when I got the confirmation back.

I saved the confirmation and will mail it to the Manager with a letter as soon as I get settled from my trip. As it turned out we were very welcomed by all that we came in contact with during our three day stay.

That website should be reprimanded and the hotel should know how this site is representing them, you are so right!

I agree with frequenting the establishments that treat us well......I'm a firm believer in this!!!

Has anyone sailed on the Fathom Adonia Cruise Line or to Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic?

I will be researching this tomorrow but would love input from someone familiar with the process.

You will need the same paperwork that is required for the Caribbean. Aphis Form 7001 [transporting of small animals] filled out by a USDA Certified Vet, with all your dogs immunizations on it and stating that your dog is on Heartworm and flea & tick abatement medication. The Vet should state that your dog is in good health [with no skin lesions] and is fit to travel.

I have not sailed on the Fathom Adonia Cruise Line. If this line does NOT embark or disembark from and/or to a USA port you could run into some difficulty with them even allowing a Service Dog onboard at all. If they have a Special Needs Dept. you should check with them before you make your plans.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I raise service dogs here in MI for Leader Dogs for the Blind. I am very glad that I found this thread! Love reading the information that's presented here and its so informative and helpful.

Roz: I know exactly how you feel about the black hair! I raised a black lab for Leader Dog (my first one) and I'm STILL finding black hair everywhere (and she went back last September)! Can't wait to hear about your upcoming cruise!

Missy

Your post is several years old so I hope you still follow this thread. I cruise with my friend who has a Leader Dog named Gary. He will be six in September and he has been on four cruises. What an amazing dog. He is excellent on the cruises.

I just wanted to say thank you for what you do. Gary has made such a difference in the life of my blind friend. He is amazing.

Thank you for working to train Leader Dogs for the Blind!

Roz - Glad the graduation was wonderful!

I have news. Jagger and I finally got our apartment! We've been busy moving the smaller stuff (exhausting...)

We make the big move on Monday. It'll feel weird having our own place, have lived with my parents for 11 years! I'll still go back and forth as I don't want to leave my parents alone for long periods of time. My brother will be back in September so he'll be able to keep an eye on them.

Jagger is not sure WHAT we are doing yet as the new apartment has no furniture yet. But the A/C works great and he likes that.

Holly

I won't be near a computer tomorrow because I'm going to San Francisco for my Granddaughter's graduation. I want to wish everyone a wonderful, safe, cool [it's going to be over 100 in L.A. Sunday and Monday, hopefully not in SF] weekend.

I have to share the following with you: I made my reservations for the Four Points by Sheraton Hotel through a website called: "Reservation Counter" [i thought I was speaking to the "reservation counter" of the hotel, I'm so stupid!] Well, today they sent me a confirmation of my reservation which states: "no pets or service dogs allowed!"

I have been to this hotel about a dozen times before and ALWAYS with a Service Dog! I called "Reservation Counter" and told them what their confirmation email said about "Service Dogs" and reminded them that their narrative, in the USA, was against the law! The moron who spoke with me said that he was only sending a "hotel policy" to me. I said, "it's wrong and you need to remove such verbiage from the confirmation letter!" "You can not tell people that they can't bring a Service Dog to the hotel!" He said, "I need to call the hotel and WARN them that you're coming!" I said, "oh, no, you do not!" Again, I told him about the ADA and the DOJ and how under their mandate I'm allowed to bring my Service Dog to any public hotel without warning them of my coming!!!!! He blabbered something and I just hung up.

Can you believe this nonsense! Remember: You may make a reservation at a hotel without letting them know that you will be bringing your Service Dog with you!!!!

I wish I could have pulled this guy through the phone and rung his neck right in front of Horton!!!!!

I don't even know how to respond to this. Omg

Nancy, I wish there was a "turn-on" switch where we can have our dogs express our disdain for people who act badly towards them and us. Like just a huge growl or a showing of their big teeth!!!!!

When we got to the hotel.....NO PROBLEM.....The gal checking us in was delightful and even came out from behind the counter to pet and welcome Horton. This hotel has a strict "NO PETS" policy and I totally get that but that has NOTHING to do with our Service Dogs. DON'T ever be intimidated by that sign......Your Service Dog is NOT a "pet."

I was tired from the drive and I had to rush to get to the graduation on time so I didn't inform the hotel of the poor representation that they're getting from the website that I used. I'm not going to be coming back this way for a very long time, if ever [it's not easy as I get older to take these 5 hour road trips!]

The graduation was over the top wonderful, seeing all my children together was perfect and that's the most important!

Glad you had a great time!

I have news. Jagger and I finally got our apartment! We've been busy moving the smaller stuff (exhausting...)

We make the big move on Monday. It'll feel weird having our own place, have lived with my parents for 11 years! I'll still go back and forth as I don't want to leave my parents alone for long periods of time. My brother will be back in September so he'll be able to keep an eye on them.

Jagger is not sure WHAT we are doing yet as the new apartment has no furniture yet. But the A/C works great and he likes that.

Holly

Congrats Holly!!! I'm sure you and Jagger will feel like you've been there forever in no time.

Your post is several years old so I hope you still follow this thread. I cruise with my friend who has a Leader Dog named Gary. He will be six in September and he has been on four cruises. What an amazing dog. He is excellent on the cruises.

I just wanted to say thank you for what you do. Gary has made such a difference in the life of my blind friend. He is amazing.

Thank you for working to train Leader Dogs for the Blind!

Lynn, I double that "Thank You!" We who walk or wheel with a Service Dog could not do it without folks like Missy and DKD, Fairbourne, Sunshine and so many others who read our thread but don't write in. They are the true heart and soul of our varied organizations.

Holly

Holly, you're on your way........A big CONGRATULATIONS to you and Jagger on beginning your lives together in true earnest.

Life is truly going to open up for you now!!!!

Holly

Hooray Holly! We are so happy for you and Jagger! He probably doesn't mind sleeping on the floor without furniture, as long as there is AC going. LOL!

Best wishes to both of you,

Beckie

Holly

Congratulations Holly - that is so exciting for you!

Dianne

Here's a video for Horton, Raylene, Orson, Jagger, Gibson, Henri and all the other wonderful Service Dogs on this thread - may each and everyone of you have many "Best Days"!

I'm sitting at my desk with tears and a smile........what a wonderful story about Bella and George. Miracle's that's what these dog's do, they perform miracle's every single day!!!!

Here's a video for Horton, Raylene, Orson, Jagger, Gibson, Henri and all the other wonderful Service Dogs on this thread - may each and everyone of you have many "Best Days"!

Thanks for sharing - no doubt, these dogs are miracles and do change lives!

Dianne

Keith, thank you so much for sharing! That dog is amazing! Gibson loves to hear about other service dogs and how they help their people.

Tonight we are hoping to attend graduation for Paws for Freedom's newest class of recipients. Never can count on plans we make going through because of the mitochondrial disease energy issues. So Diana and Gibson are spending the day resting up.

Thanks again!

Beckie