Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Just my 2 cents Roz, but after what happened to you and Horton, I think he needs to be near you. Don't forget, just because he is your hearing dog, he was still trained as a service dog. Let him help you in your recovery. He needs to "recover" too. Being away from you when he knows your hurt may not be the best for him. Like I said...just my 2 cents!

I really don't want to be separated from Horton and I so agree with you, thanks for the input! I've nixed the idea of anyone taking him except me. We have been through so much TOGETHER, thanks again! <3

Roz, are you talking about for the full day, or just a couple of hours?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

You know Barb, the more I thought about sending him off for an hour or two, the more I thought about the message I was sending him. "Well, I guess she doesn't need me!" And, nothing could be further from the truth.

We've been through the best of times and the worst of times together.....I guess it's just me and him ALWAYS!!! :*

Has anyone ever done "my time dining" with their service dog? Any problems? Tips?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Forums mobile app

We have done Celebrity's version of anytime dining with my service dog. We didn't have any issues. You might have to wait a few minutes for a suitable table (e.g., against a wall). We usually eat around the same time; after the first night they had the same table ready for us.

You know Barb, the more I thought about sending him off for an hour or two, the more I thought about the message I was sending him. "Well, I guess she doesn't need me!" And, nothing could be further from the truth.

We've been through the best of times and the worst of times together.....I guess it's just me and him ALWAYS!!! :*

I do let my kids take Henri on a hike sometimes on the weekends, but otherwise I am always with her. I can't give her the same off leash exercise because I need to be on a paved trail (and the darn bikes go by so fast that I am afraid that she will get hit).

Dianne

We have done Celebrity's version of anytime dining with my service dog. We didn't have any issues. You might have to wait a few minutes for a suitable table (e.g., against a wall). We usually eat around the same time; after the first night they had the same table ready for us.

Thank you for responding. My biggest concern was being seated with guest who didn't want to be seated with a service dog. It's my son's service dog and I don't want to have to put someone in their place if they were rude to my son. [emoji16]

Thank you for responding. My biggest concern was being seated with guest who didn't want to be seated with a service dog. It's my son's service dog and I don't want to have to put someone in their place if they were rude to my son. [emoji16]

After 26 cruises with a Service Dog I have had only 4 instances with other passengers who would prefer that I sit somewhere else.

Once, as Horton and I were walking into the lido, a gentleman [and, I use the term loosely], actually stood up and shouted, "I'm not eating in this dining room with a dog!" Another man stood up and said, "I'm not eating in this dining room with you!" Both strangers to me, I just kept walking found a seat and watched as these two men verbally berated each other! The man who wouldn't eat with Horton in the room got up and left. I don't remember ever seeing him again the rest of the cruise, maybe he went out of his way to avoid us.....I don't know! :confused:

In the evening when I approach the dining table and there's no one there yet, I find the best seat for Horton, against a wall or window [away from servers and others feet.] If there are already guests at the table, I ask if they mind if we join them......As I said, only 4 times in all my cruising did they say, "actually we'd prefer not to sit with the dog!" If you're already sitting, it now becomes their choice either to join you or not!

If you learn not to take it personally and just move on it will rest better with you. Go directly to the Matre'd and tell him your issue, they'll be happy to place you elsewhere.

Usually the other passengers are thrilled to have your Service Dog with them. But, you never know what their reaction will be and you'll soon learn to just take it all with a grain of salt.

Happy safe weekend everyone. :hearteyes:

I bought a new car last night; a Ford Expedition. The very first time in my life that I've ever purchased a vehicle without Morey. I bought a black one with black interior. Morey would have hated it. He always bought white/gold or silver cars. I got one to match my dog!

Roz, I remember when trainer Carrie from Dogs for the Deaf brought Raylene to me for our team training, she noticed my light beige car interior and joked, "Next car, you'll probably want a black interior!"

So true. Every black hair shows and sticks to the fabric despite the cover we keep in place over the back seats. But we love our black Labs shedding or not, no matter what, don't we?:)

Enjoy that new car!!

I'm here giggling. We have a golden dog and black interior.

I keep seat covers on the back seat to help (and protect the leather. )

Luckily, it is a Lincoln. One perk of a Lincoln is they vacuum it out and wash it every time they touch it. Heck, I had them check all the tire pressure and they vacuumed and washed it!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Happy safe weekend everyone. :hearteyes:

I bought a new car last night; a Ford Expedition. The very first time in my life that I've ever purchased a vehicle without Morey. I bought a black one with black interior. Morey would have hated it. He always bought white/gold or silver cars. I got one to match my dog!

Congrats on the new car Roz. Lots of luck with it. Put a penny under the floor mat for good luck!!

Yep, I love, love, love my BLACK, fur flying Lab. I always wondered what would happen when I traded in my beige, leather interior and whoever had to clean out the interior, what looney bin they'd be off to after facing all the black hair everywhere and all over-it clings to everything!

"Penny under the floor mat" hadn't heard that one......but I'm open for any and all suggestions.

After receiving my first Black Lab at CCI, and them seeing my bitter disappointment that I didn't get a Yellow Lab, they told me how much I'd be thrilled that I got a Black one and not a Yellow because the blond hair is even worse when it hits the black pants and dark carpeting. Now, I'm so used to it, I wouldn't know what to do without it!!!! :eek:

Yep, I love, love, love my BLACK, fur flying Lab. I always wondered what would happen when I traded in my beige, leather interior and whoever had to clean out the interior, what looney bin they'd be off to after facing all the black hair everywhere and all over-it clings to everything!

"Penny under the floor mat" hadn't heard that one......but I'm open for any and all suggestions.

After receiving my first Black Lab at CCI, and them seeing my bitter disappointment that I didn't get a Yellow Lab, they told me how much I'd be thrilled that I got a Black one and not a Yellow because the blond hair is even worse when it hits the black pants and dark carpeting. Now, I'm so used to it, I wouldn't know what to do without it!!!! :eek:

Now if I could only get black hardwood floors I would be all set!

Dianne

Its your choice whether you want to sit with other people at your table. We usually sit by ourselves until we get to know some of the other passengers and then sit with the ones we know don't have a problem with the dog.

Dianne

Hi everyone!

It's been ages since I posted. Life just got really busy. I "see" Chris and Raylene on FB often but that's about it.

However....Jagger is going on his first cruise tomorrow!! We leave on the Disney Wonder for a 4 day Bahamian cruise. Got all my paperwork in order. Faxed it into DCL and they actually have it. Will bring the originals AND at least 3 copies just in case. Not getting off the ship in Nassau, but will on Disney's private island. We have a cabana on the adult beach so that should be fairly easy.

I'm so excited! Although I've explained it to him, Jagger isn't quite sure what "vacation" is yet.

Holly

Now if I could only get black hardwood floors I would be all set!

Dianne

That made me laugh because I picked out my dark, "distressed" wood floors with Raylene in mind. And they are perfect...the black hair bunnies are somewhat disguised, and any little nicks from doggie claws will never be a problem.

Yep, black pants R Us! (I had one pair of white pants made of a fabric that magnetically attracted black Lab fur. I don't wear them any more.)

Hi everyone!

It's been ages since I posted. Life just got really busy. I "see" Chris and Raylene on FB often but that's about it.

However....Jagger is going on his first cruise tomorrow!! We leave on the Disney Wonder for a 4 day Bahamian cruise. Got all my paperwork in order. Faxed it into DCL and they actually have it. Will bring the originals AND at least 3 copies just in case. Not getting off the ship in Nassau, but will on Disney's private island. We have a cabana on the adult beach so that should be fairly easy.

I'm so excited! Although I've explained it to him, Jagger isn't quite sure what "vacation" is yet.

Holly

Holly, it's great to hear from you. I'm so excited for you. You're going to love cruising with Jagger. Don't forget to give yourself lots of time to get from one venue to another. Bon~Voyage ♥:ship:

Thank you for your post. I never thought a Cruise would be possible with my Service Dog, due to the potty issue. What papers are needed for my Dod to Cruise?

Aphis 7001 form, filled out by your Vet. Some ports may require more depending on where you're traveling to. Once you've cruised with your dog, you will be hooked.