Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

On another note, no dogs that I've seen on Celebrity Eclipse the last two weeks. Only a handful of small children as well. One adorable toddler of an officer and two preschool guests with European parents. They are darling.

I've been looking as we travel to figure out where to go and what to do if I bring Scooter along next year. St Maarten makes me a bit nervous.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Has anyone else read about the 65 million dollar Pet Oasis being constructed at JFK International? I was reading it on MSN. Sounds like WOW. Not that I will probably ever fly in or out of there, or with a dog, but oh my!

I am not showing it to my dog - she will want to stay there!

Dianne

I am not showing it to my dog - she will want to stay there!

Dianne

Right, Dianne! I googled it. It will be in 3 phases. 1st phase is for Equine/livestock quarantine, bird aviary's and all around wellness center, Phase 2, will be grooming area and import/export for horses and Phase 3 full vet clinic, full vet blood lab, and pet boarding and grooming area. Should be very luxurious for as much as it is going to cost to build it!

I'm sorry I missed out on wishing everyone a good weekend this past week. On Wednesday, Feb. 15th I had a horrific car accident. I was T-boned by a fellow who fell asleep at the wheel. All 6 airbags deployed, meaning that Horton got hit by the two rear airbags. When I looked back to check on him, he was very wide-eyed and acting a bit excited but not a peep; no whining, whimpering or barking. He started pacing on the back seat. We're NEVER taught what to do in case of such an incident....your common sense just kicks in.

I have a broken left hand [from side air bag] and typing is really an extra challenge for me now. I have a badly sprained and contused right foot and shin [requiring 3 stitches] because my legs are so darn long, it slid up and under the dash board.

My car [that Morey took such pride in] was totaled, and, I was told saved my life [Ford Expedition.] I have to get a new car. I'm now in a rental. I need to decide whether or purchase or lease......I have a lot to think about. I'm open for all opinions.

None of the first responders would take responsibility for Horton and because the air was cool outside and my car had no threat of catching fire, they left him in the back seat as they tended to me and to the other driver [ who was okay, with a shoulder sprain.]

As soon as I appeared more calm they allowed me to go to Horton. Thank God he was okay. Very wide eyed and curious but okay. A lovely woman who witnessed the accident asked if she could take him for a walk and I observed him...he shook it off, went potty and was his calm, lovely self. The training these dogs are given really shines through, even in situations like this.

I always wondered what I would do in such a circumstance. Horton had his leash and vest on because we had just come from a restaurant.......I'm so glad I hadn't taken off his vest yet. As I was reiterating to all the folks at the scene, "please help my Service Dog in the back seat of my car!" The police would NOT let anyone take Horton out of the car. They told me, it would be best if I did it. They're afraid of getting bitten, of him running away, etc. The won't take the responsibility of the dog unless he is in danger, in which case they'll try and help the animal but they're not the first responders top priority.

I'm so thankful for the airbags, which can injure you when they deploy but they do the job of saving your life!!!!

Oh My Roz - I am so sorry this happened to you, but I am happy you and Horton are relatively OK. Take care of the both of you and we are all thinking about you and Horty.

Seems like maybe first responders need to add some training to include Service Animals? Sounds like he handled himself like the champ he is, and I am glad that lady was there to help.

Keith

I'm sorry I missed out on wishing everyone a good weekend this past week. On Wednesday, Feb. 15th I had a horrific car accident. I was T-boned by a fellow who fell asleep at the wheel. All 6 airbags deployed, meaning that Horton got hit by the two rear airbags. When I looked back to check on him, he was very wide-eyed and acting a bit excited but not a peep; no whining, whimpering or barking. He started pacing on the back seat. We're NEVER taught what to do in case of such an incident....your common sense just kicks in.

Roz, I am so sorry to hear that you and Horton were in an accident. I am glad to hear that Horton is okay and I am sorry to hear of your injuries. Thank goodness for the lady that was able to help you with Horton.

In some ways I can understand the response of the first responders to an unknown dog, but it is a much different situation with a service dog. Thank you for raising this issue, this is something to think about and be prepared for.

Here are a couple of examples from the Department of Justice's Frequently Asked Questions handout (but it does not address what should initially happen after an accident).

Must a service animal be allowed to ride in an ambulance with its handler?

A: Generally, yes. However, if the space in the ambulance is crowded and the dog’s presence

would interfere with the emergency medical staff’s ability to treat the patient, staff

should make other arrangements to have the dog transported to the hospital.

Does a hospital have to allow an in-patient with a disability to keep a service animal in

his or her room?

A: Generally, yes. Service animals must be allowed in patient rooms and anywhere else

in the hospital the public and patients are allowed to go. They cannot be excluded on the

grounds that staff can provide the same services.

What happens if a patient who uses a service animal is admitted to the hospital and is unable to care for or supervise their animal?

A: If the patient is not able to care for the service animal, the patient can make arrangements

for a family member or friend to come to the hospital to provide these services, as it

is always preferable that the service animal and its handler not be separated, or to keep the

dog during the hospitalization. If the patient is unable to care for the dog and is unable to

arrange for someone else to care for the dog, the hospital may place the dog in an animal

shelter until the patient is released, or make other appropriate arrangements. However,

the hospital must give the patient the opportunity to make arrangements for the dog’s care before taking such steps.

I have a broken left hand [from side air bag] and typing is really an extra challenge for me now. I have a badly sprained and contused right foot and shin [requiring 3 stitches] because my legs are so darn long, it slid up and under the dash board.

My car [that Morey took such pride in] was totaled, and, I was told saved my life [Ford Expedition.] I have to get a new car. I'm now in a rental. I need to decide whether or purchase or lease......I have a lot to think about. I'm open for all opinions.

None of the first responders would take responsibility for Horton and because the air was cool outside and my car had no threat of catching fire, they left him in the back seat as they tended to me and to the other driver [ who was okay, with a shoulder sprain.]

As soon as I appeared more calm they allowed me to go to Horton. Thank God he was okay. Very wide eyed and curious but okay. A lovely woman who witnessed the accident asked if she could take him for a walk and I observed him...he shook it off, went potty and was his calm, lovely self. The training these dogs are given really shines through, even in situations like this.

I always wondered what I would do in such a circumstance. Horton had his leash and vest on because we had just come from a restaurant.......I'm so glad I hadn't taken off his vest yet. As I was reiterating to all the folks at the scene, "please help my Service Dog in the back seat of my car!" The police would NOT let anyone take Horton out of the car. They told me, it would be best if I did it. They're afraid of getting bitten, of him running away, etc. The won't take the responsibility of the dog unless he is in danger, in which case they'll try and help the animal but they're not the first responders top priority.

I'm so thankful for the airbags, which can injure you when they deploy but they do the job of saving your life!!!!

Roz and Horton,

We are so glad you both are going to be alright! Sometimes dogs involved in a car wreck get out and run away, they are so scared even their owners can't get them to return. Really glad Horton is safe. Please take it easy as you recover from your injuries.

Best wishes,

Beckie

Oh dear, Roz..!

I'm so glad you and Horton survived this terrible wreck. I know that even with life-saving airbags, people get plenty banged up, bruised, and sore in even a lesser accident. And with a broken hand, stitches, sprains - yikes! I hope you can and will take it easy for a while. Poor Horty, he surely must have wondered what the heck was happening.

Take care of each other.

Lots of love,

Chris

Oh Roz, my heart was in my mouth as I read this news ..... what a dreadful thing to happen. Good Boy Horton, he's such a cool dude and we are so proud of him.

Roz, look after yourself and take time to heal - if I was closer I'd be round with some TLC and chicken soup! Sending you big hugs and lots of love. Big X to Horton!

Roz, hope you are doing well and wish you a speedy recovery. No problem with SD at hospital, as our SD has been inside several.

I was in the ER this weekend with our SD, no questions asked. Actually the nurses enjoyed him being there.

This was the second hospital he has been in with me.

:eek: ROZ, OMD, I am so glad you and Horty are ok! What a scare. I don't know what I would have done. I would have been crazy, beside myself until I had my hands on that sweet boy. Something else to think about, before it happens. Knowing myself, thinking as a first responder, I would have found a way, after I knew you were okay and in capable hands, to sneak over and get Horty. What an Angel that lady was, and glad she got Horty out okay and let him go for a walk. Big ole goof boy! Love you both. Take it easy and heal quickly. Lots of loves and pats for that Big Boy.

Thank you to ALL of you for the wonderful and heartfelt wishes. It does feel good to have you "there" for me! It has been crazy.

I had a "rental car" on my insurance but they don't tell you that you only get the car for a month if it's repairable. If the car is totaled and you get a pay-off then you only get a week because the insurance company has 3 to 5 business days to pay you. So, they figure as soon as you get the money, get out of the rental and buy something new. I told them I needed more time so they extended the rental for 3 more days. I realize they're looking at the bottom line but I'm afraid I'm moving a bit slower in all ways these days!

I've decided to go right back into a Ford Expedition. It saved me and Horty this time, I'm confidant it will always make me feel safe on the road. And putting my children, grandchildren and my precious Horty in it on a daily basis, I just know I'm providing a safe vehicle for my loved one's to travel in. And, you all know how much I love to "go!"

I've been in contact with the lovely woman who took care of Horton at the scene. She does dog-walking on the weekends and I'm considering having her pick-up Horty so he doesn't have to hear my groans and moans all the time and gets a chance to enjoy the outdoors as I'm moving a bit slower these days. We're going to talk more about it.

I have not missed a day of work. This is our busiest time and other than the really ugly purple and swollen hand, my leg is hidden under my pants and the bruise on my chest is not visible so, here I am.......diligently getting my work done and feeling better that I'm moving instead of laying around and getting sorer and stiffer! Better to keep going. Hey, it's worked for me this long, why change my M.O. now!

DKD, you must be so excited about your boys possibilities and soon you'll be so busy working with a new champion in your life!

Stay safe dear hearts and know that I'm grateful as heck for ALL of you!

P.S. Fairbourne, I don't have a doubt in my mind that you would be by my side in a hot second, if we lived closer......Love you ♥

Goodness! I'm struggling to catch up and just read about the accident, Roz! Glad you and Horton are OK!

If you have not already finalized your purchase on the Expedition, you might look at the Lincoln Navigator. Same car but has Lincoln service. We got a Lincoln MKT a few months ago - mainly to haul stuff associated with Scooter.

I learned my Dodge Caravan seats were killing my back for a long drive, but the Lincoln seats are quite comfy.

Goodness! I'm struggling to catch up and just read about the accident, Roz! Glad you and Horton are OK! If you have not already finalized your purchase on the Expedition, you might look at the Lincoln Navigator. Same car but has Lincoln service. We got a Lincoln MKT a few months ago - mainly to haul stuff associated with Scooter.

I learned my Dodge Caravan seats were killing my back for a long drive, but the Lincoln seats are quite comfy.

Barb, just when we settle our lives into a nice routine......Life comes along and shakes up our world to remind us that fate is really the one in charge.

I've admired the Navigator from afar and would definitely have considered it , it's just that I have a soft spot in my heart for the Expedition and all the many travels that I've done in it. I tried a Dodge but it couldn't hold a candle to the Expo.

You know, I lived a long life with my man and now I'm on my own.......Not an easy task but I do admire women who stand on their own two feet....I'm grateful to two men in my life for giving me the courage to do so.......that's my Dad and my husband, Morey.

Sutter's first progress report is what we expected. He is adjusting to college very well. He has started basic training already. More advanced training begins after they get all the medical results back. Although they did start training him with the "push" command. Next months report should be more informative.

GO SUTTER!!

Thank you to ALL of you for the wonderful and heartfelt wishes. It does feel good to have you "there" for me! It has been crazy. I had a "rental car" on my insurance but they don't tell you that you only get the car for a month if it's repairable. If the car is totaled and you get a pay-off then you only get a week because the insurance company has 3 to 5 business days to pay you. So, they figure as soon as you get the money, get out of the rental and buy something new. I told them I needed more time so they extended the rental for 3 more days. I realize they're looking at the bottom line but I'm afraid I'm moving a bit slower in all ways these days!

I've decided to go right back into a Ford Expedition. It saved me and Horty this time, I'm confidant it will always make me feel safe on the road. And putting my children, grandchildren and my precious Horty in it on a daily basis, I just know I'm providing a safe vehicle for my loved one's to travel in. And, you all know how much I love to "go!"

I've been in contact with the lovely woman who took care of Horton at the scene. She does dog-walking on the weekends and I'm considering having her pick-up Horty so he doesn't have to hear my groans and moans all the time and gets a chance to enjoy the outdoors as I'm moving a bit slower these days. We're going to talk more about it.

I have not missed a day of work. This is our busiest time and other than the really ugly purple and swollen hand, my leg is hidden under my pants and the bruise on my chest is not visible so, here I am.......diligently getting my work done and feeling better that I'm moving instead of laying around and getting sorer and stiffer! Better to keep going. Hey, it's worked for me this long, why change my M.O. now!

DKD, you must be so excited about your boys possibilities and soon you'll be so busy working with a new champion in your life!

Stay safe dear hearts and know that I'm grateful as heck for ALL of you!

P.S. Fairbourne, I don't have a doubt in my mind that you would be by my side in a hot second, if we lived closer......Love you ♥

Just my 2 cents Roz, but after what happened to you and Horton, I think he needs to be near you. Don't forget, just because he is your hearing dog, he was still trained as a service dog. Let him help you in your recovery. He needs to "recover" too. Being away from you when he knows your hurt may not be the best for him. Like I said...just my 2 cents!

Sutter's first progress report is what we expected. He is adjusting to college very well. He has started basic training already. More advanced training begins after they get all the medical results back. Although they did start training him with the "push" command. Next months report should be more informative.

GO SUTTER!!

I so agree, GO SUTTER, BOY, you can do this!!!!!