Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I have been lurking for a while. I hope to get to know you all. I have a service dog for my mobility issues. He is constantly in training as my disease is progressing, PLS, which is a form of ALS/Lou Gehrig's Disease.

I love traveling and have been on 11 cruises. None with my dog, as he is just shy of 2 years and not fully trained for travel until just recently.

The ports are VERY important to me. As long as I can I want to experience ports as much as possible. So, what I need advice and help with the most is what ports can I or not take my service dog off? And what can I or can't I do in a port with my dog? What will I need to take him off in the ports?

I tend to stay pretty loyal to Carnival. Are the cruise lines different with service dogs?

The next cruise I have ports in Key West and Cozumel. I assume Key West will not be a problem. I would really like to parasail. I would not even consider taking him up. But how about him waiting on the boat while I do this? Is it crazy of me to consider this at all?

Everything I have read about service dog in Cozumel, just refers to Mexico in general and only talks about flying in with them. What is the process/procedures of entering Cozumel off a cruise ship? How about spending the day with him at Mr. Sancho?

Thanks for all your help.

Linda

Well it's official. We will be in the April/May CCI Team training class to get my daughters successor dog!! We just got the call yesterday. Can't wait!!

That's great news DKD...best of luck; whichever dog gets the lucky draw will have big paws to fill!

Well it's official. We will be in the April/May CCI Team training class to get my daughters successor dog!! We just got the call yesterday. Can't wait!!

DKD - that's fantastic news. We look forward to meeting this new member of your family! Not too long to wait.

I have been lurking for a while. I hope to get to know you all. I have a service dog for my mobility issues. He is constantly in training as my disease is progressing, PLS, which is a form of ALS/Lou Gehrig's Disease.

I love traveling and have been on 11 cruises. None with my dog, as he is just shy of 2 years and not fully trained for travel until just recently.

The ports are VERY important to me. As long as I can I want to experience ports as much as possible. So, what I need advice and help with the most is what ports can I or not take my service dog off? And what can I or can't I do in a port with my dog? What will I need to take him off in the ports?

I tend to stay pretty loyal to Carnival. Are the cruise lines different with service dogs?

The next cruise I have ports in Key West and Cozumel. I assume Key West will not be a problem. I would really like to parasail. I would not even consider taking him up. But how about him waiting on the boat while I do this? Is it crazy of me to consider this at all?

Everything I have read about service dog in Cozumel, just refers to Mexico in general and only talks about flying in with them. What is the process/procedures of entering Cozumel off a cruise ship? How about spending the day with him at Mr. Sancho?

Thanks for all your help.

Linda

Linda you sound very adventurous and that's wonderful for you......There are some things that you will not want to do with your dog along. If you have someone who can stay with your dog while you go parasailing that would be perfect. You should NEVER leave your dog alone in the cabin, even if its in a crate. And, most cruise lines will NOT allow your dog to be left unattended.

Cozumel can have some stray both in town and on the beach so you will want to be aware of the possibility of chasing them away or have someone with you who look out for them too.

The paperwork is the Aphis 7001 Form that is filled out by your Vet shortly before cruising. You dog must be up-to-date on all immunizations and be healthy to travel.

Your dogs behavior is the most important factor in cruise travel both on and off the ship. You want him to be acting appropriately in all situations. There definitely is time for him to be playful and you should allow for it. Find an empty lounge, take him off leash and throw a ball. Even let a few passengers to play with him, your dog and them will love you for it!

Carnival is very accommodating and will do all they can to make you both comfortable. If you have a veranda cabin ask that they place the potty box on it. They may tell you that it can't be done for health reasons but that's not true. Bring potty bags from home and pick up the solid waste, if you can and dispose of it into a receptacle that they will provide.

Be respectful of folks who tell you that they're either afraid of or allergic to your dog. If you need to get of an elevator because of the above issues and it's convenient for you do it. You'll keep the peace and impress other fellow passengers with your kind consideration of others.

Most importantly have a wonderful cruise with your Service Dog! :ship: :D

Wonderful new! I know you all must be very excited at the expectation of a new baby in your house! I know, I'm excited for you!

Sorry for any spelling mistakes......my fingers are not working the best just yet! And, I don't know how to use the "edit" button on our new boards! [Where's a 4 year old when you need them?]

I got a new car, I'm healing and Horton is his usual goofy self.

I want to wish you all a safe and wonderful weekend. We're having 80 degree temps and although the rain was so badly needed, it's so good to be back to our usual L.A. weather!

Congratulations - so glad that your daughter will be in the next team training. I know that feeling of excitement!

Dianne

Sorry for any spelling mistakes......my fingers are not working the best just yet! And, I don't know how to use the "edit" button on our new boards! [Where's a 4 year old when you need them?]

I got a new car, I'm healing and Horton is his usual goofy self.

I want to wish you all a safe and wonderful weekend. We're having 80 degree temps and although the rain was so badly needed, it's so good to be back to our usual L.A. weather!

Have a good weekend Roz! So glad to hear that you have wheels again.

Dianne

GREAT news! So happy for all of you! April is just a few weeks away - what a wonderful springtime gift to look forward to during the last days of winter.

Hi everybody, just checking in. So nice to "meet" Tyler and Angel, and Linda, too.

No cruises booked for this year, but we are spending a few days in our RV at various white sandy beaches along Florida’s panhandle on the Gulf Coast - a welcome break after many, many weeks of house guests. (As we say, buy a house in Florida and you will never be lonely again. But it's been good to see family and friends.)

We just got back from a walk on the almost empty, unspoiled beach beside our National Park Service campground at Fort Pickens near Pensacola. Blue sky, sunshine, mild temperatures - really a gorgeous Saturday afternoon. Raylene was in her second puppyhood, frolicking at the water's edge, running toward the waves and away from them. Life is good.

Roz, I am trying to do the things that I have thought I wanted to do and may not have the opportunity to do them soon. I won't have anyone I can leave him with. My cabin mate/friend wants to do the parasailing with me.

I know Carnival will not let me leave him in the cabin unattended. Even in a crate.

He is part Great Dane, VERY mellow guy. He will not chase the strays, my only worry is that he would defend me if they approached. But that is a worry even in the U.S. He is an extremely well behaved dog, has been on flights, restaurants, the mall, shooting ranges, fireworks, etc., he doesn't react to anything, except males approaching me quickly and then he just does a low growl and does not move toward them at all.

So, overall, it sounds like the ports, Key West and Cozumel will be fairly easy, if I have the right paperwork filled out.

Hi all!

I'm back from Jagger's first cruise. We had a GREAT time.

The potty relief area was a bit of a challenge, but we got it figured out. I had asked for sod, but got artificial turf. Jagger seemed to think it was carpet and that is a no-no in his mind. I'd even brought Wee-wee drops. No go. I went down to Guest Services and asked if they could put mulch on it. That did the trick, which made me happy as he had held it for 24+ hours. Then halfway through a 4 day cruise they cleaned it out and had no more mulch. Darn... Jagger was sure happy to see Disney's private island. With a whole lot of encouragement he did finally use the box even with fake grass.

Next time, I think I'll just stick with mulch.

I went on the Wonder which is one of Disney's smaller ships. Great idea for a first cruise. Far fewer people on the ship and the terminal. DCL did pull me aside and board us separately. They were going to board us after the Family of the Day, but kind of forgot us in the Concierge area... Still it worked out well.

I'd faxed in his paperwork on Friday for a Sunday cruise. He had to see the vet 48 hours before embarking. Easy peasy. I did bring the originals and 3 copies...just in case. When I boarded they took me to Guest Services where they took a copy. Later on the Clearance Officer called me asked me to bring down the originals. I didn't have to meet with the Customs Officers.

For Disembarkation, DCL had given me back the originals with the stamp from the Bahamian Custom Officer. Showed them to the US Customs office and had no problem.

As for the cruise itself, I was very happy to hear more and more parents tell their children, "that's a working dog". Had one bad incident where a child about 5 years old ran up behind us and grabbed Jagger. Almost tripped me. A few drive by pettings, but far fewer than I thought. It was actually more adults that tried to pet him than children...

I've booked another cruise for late 2018. Not Disney as they have priced me out. Going on the Carnival Liberty out of Port Canaveral. I can get an AFT wrap cabin solo, for about what I paid for sharing an inside cabin on DCL. BTW, for any DCL fans, we did one of the "secret" porthole cabins. Priced at regular inside as the porthole is obstructed. It was a huge porthole and still gave some view. We loved it.

The number one question, of course, was: "Where does your dog go to the bathroom". Having a dog does get a lot of attention and you can feel kind of invisible in a way as it's the dog they notice. Didn't get any negative reaction to having him.

I was so proud of myself as I did a lot of walking and did not have to use my walker. We took the stairs as much as possible. Towards the end Jagger kept looking longingly at the elevators as he knew that "thing" by-passed the stairs... Got a couple of groans out of him. :D

Fortunately we got a golf cart ride to the cabana we had as that would have been a really long way. Loved the cabana as it had shade and cold water in the fridge. Jagger was a very happy boy as there was a place I could walk him for his business. He didn't want to go in the water, but I'm not surprised. He's not a fan of it.

Here's the link for the photos I have posted so far:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mr.Jaggertoyou/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1870650279878267

Hoping Carnival is easy to cruise. The Liberty is a smaller ship, like The Wonder. I do have a larger veranda so that's a possibility for the relief box. Sticking to the Bahamas as the paperwork is very easy.

Holly

Hi Holly and Jagger ... Lively photos and glad you both had a super cruise! Jagger is such a handsome chap, and obviously loves his cuddles!

"drive by pettings" - LOL! I love that phrase - it says it all!

Thank you for sharing the photos. Now I've got an "ear worm" with that song from Frozen! :p

I took Lucy to visit my mom at the assisted living center she is staying at...most of the folks there love it when Lucy visits( they welcome dogs as long as they have a copy of her medical records with the latest innoculations). One lady hugged her and got a big kiss; the lady was so happy I thought she was going to cry. Another person politely asked if Lucy was a Service Dog...I said "no I am her service person though".

Hi everybody, just checking in. So nice to "meet" Tyler and Angel, and Linda, too.

No cruises booked for this year, but we are spending a few days in our RV at various white sandy beaches along Florida’s panhandle on the Gulf Coast - a welcome break after many, many weeks of house guests. (As we say, buy a house in Florida and you will never be lonely again. But it's been good to see family and friends.)

We just got back from a walk on the almost empty, unspoiled beach beside our National Park Service campground at Fort Pickens near Pensacola. Blue sky, sunshine, mild temperatures - really a gorgeous Saturday afternoon. Raylene was in her second puppyhood, frolicking at the water's edge, running toward the waves and away from them. Life is good.

Sounds absolutely glorious......enjoy!:cool:

Roz, I am trying to do the things that I have thought I wanted to do and may not have the opportunity to do them soon. I won't have anyone I can leave him with. My cabin mate/friend wants to do the parasailing with me.

I know Carnival will not let me leave him in the cabin unattended. Even in a crate.

He is part Great Dane, VERY mellow guy. He will not chase the strays, my only worry is that he would defend me if they approached. But that is a worry even in the U.S. He is an extremely well behaved dog, has been on flights, restaurants, the mall, shooting ranges, fireworks, etc., he doesn't react to anything, except males approaching me quickly and then he just does a low growl and does not move toward them at all.

So, overall, it sounds like the ports, Key West and Cozumel will be fairly easy, if I have the right paperwork filled out.

Even a "low growl" can be very threatening to the general public. And mistaken as aggression. You will need to work on this with him and some positive reinforcement.

I give you lots of credit for doing what you want. Just make sure he's safe and being supervised. Have fun!!!! ;)