Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I usually don't tell the hotel ahead of time either. At least I will know to have a copy of the Department of Justice's handout to give them. It is discouraging because I am sure that there are some service dog teams that do not know the law and they are being taken advantage of.

Dianne

Dianne, just wondering if the hotel is part of a national or global chain. Perhaps you could reach out to their corporate customer relations. Just my two cents...

Thanks,

Beckie

Thanks, all...we had a smooth overnight and flight. All very easy at the Hilton Garden Inn Miami airport west. We've stayed there before and the staff is very friendly to us, there's easy access to grassy areas just outside, and the airport van had steps built in, which made it easy in & out, with plenty of room for her. Their restaurant has a corner table for two we have found available each time we've eaten there, with a nice slice of space alongside the wall for the dog the stretch out and sleep. Funny how a little thing like that makes life easier.

The AA agent at check-in asked if we had a health certificate but didn't want to see it. On arrival, no formalities at all - for the US Virgin Islands.

On the 3-hr flight to St. Croix, Raylene was an angel once again. I am SO lucky that she has a calm reaction to flying. For the third time, a flight attendant mistook the dog for a black tote bag because she settles immediately and is so still. There was a small emotional support dog on board, on leash but not in a carrier, and not very well-controlled in the departure area, barking at Raylene. As the owner came down the aisle inside the plane, she loudly said to a companion, "Where's that big black dog sitting?" - not even realizing she was walking right past us, because Ray behaves herself properly!

We were lucky that the 3rd person in our 3-seat bulkhead row decided to move to an empty row in back, so we had the extra leg room to spread out a little.

So now we're in our old neighborhood, already running into people we knew when we lived here from 1999-2008. Raylene is wagging her tail watching all the little lizards running around outside.

Raylene certainly acts appropriately! The lady who was so concerned about where she was sitting wouldn't have to be so worried if her dog were properly trained.

The reality is that folks who bring their "pets" with them wherever they go and try to pass them off as "therapy" dogs would have a more enjoyable journey through life if they would spend some time and energy into training good behavior while out in public. The people around you would be happier and, trust me, so would the dog; they'd be less agitated and scared [the dog, I mean!] Well, maybe the people too! ;p

Chris, you and Raylene do us all so proud!!!

I hope the rest of your trip is as good as the beginning. Have fun!

I was just discussing some of the, with regard to residences, with someone. ESAs are a real issue in rental property. We were saying that if we could mandate a dog, even an ESA, had Canine Good Citizen certification it would make things so much easier.

The real SDs will pass CGC no issue at all. Scooter is getting close.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I was just discussing some of the, with regard to residences, with someone. ESAs are a real issue in rental property. We were saying that if we could mandate a dog, even an ESA, had Canine Good Citizen certification it would make things so much easier.

Barb,

In the complex that I live [it is "no pets allowed".] Bringing in Brenda in 2002 was a huge issue but, of course, they could not refuse me. Her behavior was ALWAYS exemplary as is Horton's. Then came a woman with an ESA, who consistently barked, whined and growled. The Homeowner's Association got together and cited the law that states that the dog "MUST not pose a threat to others" and after several complaints and warnings asked her to vacate the premises!

I wish more public entities would be bold enough to keep the people who bring in uncontrolled pets out.

I'm an animal enthusiast, I love all animals and treat them with great respect. But, by the same token, the animal, especially those going into the public venue, MUST be expected to behave well.

Dianne, just wondering if the hotel is part of a national or global chain. Perhaps you could reach out to their corporate customer relations. Just my two cents...

Thanks,

Beckie

Good suggestion Beckie. Its Nobel House Hotel and Resorts - I had not heard of them prior to this.

Dianne

I hope none of our friends or family are caught up in any of the weather related problems going on across the mid-west right now.

Horton and I have just scheduled our re-certification for April 8th, at CCI in Oceanside, CA. Horton will do very well, unless someone takes him off-leash and he wanders away. "See you later alligator!" Horton's "re-call" can be hit or miss! Chances are they won't want to take his leash off anyway!

Have a wonderful and safe weekend everyone ♥

So far so good in mid-Missouri!

We have been watching the hay loads going to our neighbors in Kansas, OK and Texas after their fires. Many if our local farmers are sending a trailer load.

Scooter and I are spending our weekend volunteering at a conference on campus. Everyone wants to see him. He is doing a good job staying on his rug, and coming when called from across the room.

Go Horton, Go!

I hope none of our friends or family are caught up in any of the weather related problems going on across the mid-west right now.

Horton and I have just scheduled our re-certification for April 8th, at CCI in Oceanside, CA. Horton will do very well, unless someone takes him off-leash and he wanders away. "See you later alligator!" Horton's "re-call" can be hit or miss! Chances are they won't want to take his leash off anyway!

Have a wonderful and safe weekend everyone ♥

I hope everyone is safe as well.

Henri and I were just re-certified for three years. She is very good on the recall.

I am sure that Horton will be the star pupil.

Dianne

Our Renie boy had no recall skills! I can still visualize him standing on his two hind legs, with his front paws in his ears, wigglying them back and forth and yelling at us "I can't hear you!" Just kidding, he didn't do that, but I sure could see it. He did so well as a young pup. 10 weeks old, going to the drive way and dragging the paper to the front porch. He did that for about 2 weeks, then decided it was much more fun to run down the hill, thru the field with mom chasing him! :evilsmile:. No more off leash for him! Tried again years later when he should have been an older, mature boy! Yay, not so much. He took off again. Hubby kept saying, "He, won't leave us!" Yay, right. The park manager had me get in the golf cart and we chased the boy. He was happy to get a ride back home, in the golf cart!

Everyone have a great weekend. Prayers to all that are touched by this creepy weather.

How do y'all handle shore excursions? Do you tell them ahead of time? Thinking of taking our family on snorkeling tour. Not sure if Tyler will want to snorkel but either my husband and I could take turns sitting with Angel while Tyler snorkels.

Are we required to tell them ahead of time that we'll have a service dog with us?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Forums mobile app

How do y'all handle shore excursions? Do you tell them ahead of time? Thinking of taking our family on snorkeling tour. Not sure if Tyler will want to snorkel but either my husband and I could take turns sitting with Angel while Tyler snorkels.

Are we required to tell them ahead of time that we'll have a service dog with us?

We usually do our own thing ashore, but also have taken turns so that one of us took a tour while the other stayed back on the ship with the dog. If you do take the dog ashore, tour or not, bring the firm 7001, rabies certificate and any other port-specific paperwork which of course you need to get anyway. We were once asked to produce them ashore after getting off the tender boat so I try to remember to put it in my tote. Another tip - keep an eye out for unleashed dogs roaming around when you are ashore.

I rarely book tours any more but if we did want to for a non-US port, I'd research the island and make my own plans - either rent a car, or arrange something directly with a tour operator - advising them in detail about the dog, even sending a photo, and getting a written confirmation back that they'll accommodate him/her. You can find info about ports and tour operators here on the cruise critic port forum. People often recommend private tour companies that do a great job with special needs.

One issue is space if the ship tour operator's boat, tour bus, etc has tight seating. I've been on some chock-full mini buses with every seat filled, very little leg room and very narrow aisles. If you have set up a private tour, the space for the dog is pre-arranged, though obviously it would cost more. Another issue is the length of time the dog is exposed to a tropical climate's heat and perhaps direct sun. Of course, you'll want to bring a portable bowl and a couple of bottles of water. If you rent a car or book a private tour, you can customize how you spend the day and change course if it is too steamy hot.

I don't know of any official requirement that you tell the excursions office in advance if & when you book a cruiseline's tour, but I think it's important to call and let them know your plans so they can alert the tour operator (as well as notify the tour staff on board the ship). They might be able to give you feedback. But people in the shore-side office, on a practical level, won't likely have detailed, first-hand, recent knowledge about so many tour operators in dozens of ports and the potential response to a dog.

I'd try to get the name of the snorkel operator if they'll give it to you, and contact them myself. Then reconfirm at the tour desk after you board your cruise so they can remind the tour operator. You obviously don't want to be standing there the morning of the tour with your pre-paid tickets and find out the operator has a "no dogs aboard" policy and won't budge.

I had no problem taking my dog on several of the cruiseline's boat and bus tours in Alaska, but those were all US ports.

Non-US port tour operators and other businesses aren't bound by our ADA laws, of course, so I generally have a pessimistic attitude and assume they probably will not want to accept my dog unless someone in authority tells me differently. It's unpredictable. We were on St. Bart's, and were turned away because of the dog by an empty waterfront bar/restaurant, but then greeted with a smile and offer of water for the dog at a tee shirt store two blocks away. We've never had issues on St. Maarten, which is very cruise ship-friendly. And there should be no hassles in the US Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico at public places.

I agree with Chris - it depends on whether or not you are in a US port. In a foreign port, I would definitely tell them ahead of time about the dog.

I was training my service dog for the CGC. I thought I had a trainer for my dog to be trained as my mobility dog. Then I found a true service dog trainer. She is not opposed to the CGC and typically recommends it for all service dogs. The problem in my area is the evaluators would fail Halo every time. If he followed their heal and sit guidelines (his shoulder to my thigh. Great positioning normally), it would take me down on my butt hard. Because of my balance his heal position is his thigh to my thigh.

With that position and all the other requirements for CGC, noise, recall, distractions - dogs, people and noise, he would pass with flying colors. Since the evaluators won't make ANY exceptions, my trainer is not worried about it.

Linda and Halo

I was training my service dog for the CGC. I thought I had a trainer for my dog to be trained as my mobility dog. Then I found a true service dog trainer. She is not opposed to the CGC and typically recommends it for all service dogs. The problem in my area is the evaluators would fail Halo every time. If he followed their heal and sit guidelines (his shoulder to my thigh. Great positioning normally), it would take me down on my butt hard. Because of my balance his heal position is his thigh to my thigh.

With that position and all the other requirements for CGC, noise, recall, distractions - dogs, people and noise, he would pass with flying colors. Since the evaluators won't make ANY exceptions, my trainer is not worried about it.

Linda and Halo

There needs to be an exception for position for SDs if they are positioned where they have been taught to be for their work.

It is all the rest that is important.

There needs to be an exception for position for SDs if they are positioned where they have been taught to be for their work.

It is all the rest that is important.

There does need to be the exception. I am sure the issue could be pushed.

Linda

I don't recommend taking your SD snorkeling. The other snorklers will NOT know the value of your dog and may treat him as a pet dog in the water. It could turn into a dangerous situation for him.

I do suggest taking turns snorkeling. Remember, to bring bottles of water and a collapsible water bowl. Be careful of the terrain that you're asking your dog to traverse with you and be on the look-out for stray dogs.

If one of you can stay behind, onboard the ship with your dog, that would be ideal.

I agree with Chris - it depends on whether or not you are in a US port. In a foreign port, I would definitely tell them ahead of time about the dog.

On an Alaskan cruise, all was going so well until we got to Vancouver and bringing Brenda into the "Gardens"; into some shops and restaurants became so much of an ordeal, we just walked back to the ship and took turns going into the port with her.

This was a few years ago and I've been told that Canada has become more SD friendly for those coming in via a cruise ship. I hope so!

Linda and Halo

Its all different for the different types of jobs the dogs do. My service dog gets so confused when someone else is walking her and tells her to heel. To her, heel means sit down facing forward next to my wheelchair.

Dianne

Thank you for the response! We are traveling to st Thomas and Nassau. We will not be getting off at st kitts due to their regulations.

I think Cindy reported that you need a permit for Nassau regardless of whether or not you plan on getting off the ship.

Dianne

On an Alaskan cruise, all was going so well until we got to Vancouver and bringing Brenda into the "Gardens"; into some shops and restaurants became so much of an ordeal, we just walked back to the ship and took turns going into the port with her.

This was a few years ago and I've been told that Canada has become more SD friendly for those coming in via a cruise ship. I hope so!

British Columbia is not a problem anymore; they now have laws regarding service dogs that are similar to the ADA.

Dianne

Its all different for the different types of jobs the dogs do. My service dog gets so confused when someone else is walking her and tells her to heel. To her, heel means sit down facing forward next to my wheelchair.

Dianne

If I want Horton to help me get up off a chair I ask him to come to me and "stand"......he stands on all fours, plants his paws into the ground and waits for me to hold onto his shoulders.....If I ask him to "heel", as we're walking along, he will walk very close beside me (sometimes I have to encourage him to NOT lag behind me!) Those Labs they're always looking for food droppings, when you're not looking. ;p

British Columbia is not a problem anymore; they now have laws regarding service dogs that are similar to the ADA.

Dianne

This is such good news!

As we all know, there can be difficult people in any venue. Even here in the USA, there can be the occasional restaurant, shop or hotel that doesn't care about the law and just hates having an animal in their establishment.

If I even sense a glimmer of disdain from anyone, I prefer to spend my money with those who treat my dog with the respect that he so well deserves and earns. I, now, only force the issue when I have no other choice! And, well, you know me, I WILL force the issue if need be! :*