Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I've learned that being firm, but with a smile and the magic words of please and thank you get me what I need.

Last year, when we had a room with serious noise issues and intermittent plumbing issues, I just kept calling guest services. The last night, a junior guest services assistant came up to give us a certificate for $$$ off our next cruise and used the words "Thank you for being so nice". That told me how ugly some of my fellow passengers must have been.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I've learned that being firm, but with a smile and the magic words of please and thank you get me what I need.

Last year, when we had a room with serious noise issues and intermittent plumbing issues, I just kept calling guest services. The last night, a junior guest services assistant came up to give us a certificate for $$$ off our next cruise and used the words "Thank you for being so nice". That told me how ugly some of my fellow passengers must have been.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

So true, Barb! it sure makes you wonder doesn't it!

They put erasers on pencils for some reason now, don't they?

I only insist that my toilets flush, my bed be clean and every once in a while give me just a glint of a smile.......please! Oh! Yeah! And, there be food on my table!!!! ;p

Lynn, welcome!!!! First, let me tell you that getting to talk to the "Special Needs" Dept. of any cruise line is practically impossible and virtually non-existent! And, in all honesty, mostly useless. Once you're onboard the ship whatever you may have requested or asked for is in their hands and they'll do it "their way" anyway!

I am currently in e-mail "discussions" with Celebrity concerning the location of the relief box on our Alaska cruise next month. So far they are refusing to budge on moving the box to our balcony (they say they can't do it for sanitary reasons and that it is a "shared box" - what could be more unsanitary than several dogs using one box for nine days??).

Last time, once we were on the ship we were able to get it moved to the balcony after speaking to the Guest Services Manager and Hotel Director at the Cruise Connection party.

I was hoping to resolve this before we got on board, but will probably have to wait until we board to get it straightened out. I wonder if the resistance to moving the box and other relief box issues has anything to do with people bringing pets on board masquerading as service dogs (I have seen this on a couple of occasions).

Dianne

I am currently in e-mail "discussions" with Celebrity concerning the location of the relief box on our Alaska cruise next month. So far they are refusing to budge on moving the box to our balcony (they say they can't do it for sanitary reasons and that it is a "shared box" - what could be more unsanitary than several dogs using one box for nine days??).

Last time, once we were on the ship we were able to get it moved to the balcony after speaking to the Guest Services Manager and Hotel Director at the Cruise Connection party.

I was hoping to resolve this before we got on board, but will probably have to wait until we board to get it straightened out. I wonder if the resistance to moving the box and other relief box issues has anything to do with people bringing pets on board masquerading as service dogs (I have seen this on a couple of occasions).

Dianne

You, my dear, have hit that darn nail right on it's head!

The best way to deal with the potty box is when you are onboard and face-to-face!!!!

They will see how authentic you are and they will be more than pleased to accommodate you and make you happy!!!!

The "fakers" ruin it for all of us!!!

I am currently in e-mail "discussions" with Celebrity concerning the location of the relief box on our Alaska cruise next month....

...I wonder if the resistance to moving the box and other relief box issues has anything to do with people bringing pets on board masquerading as service dogs (I have seen this on a couple of occasions).

Dianne

I wondered the same thing on my first dog-accompanied Celebrity cruise, where we had the chilliest reception EVER to my dog by all the officers and management people, and an absolute refusal to move the box anywhere.

On our most recent cruise on Eclipse, the officers from the Captain on down were warm and gracious toward us. It was night and day. So I hope you'll have that response.

Keep in mind that there is a safety officer on board you can ask to meet with if the box location is hazardous, as it sometimes can be. I spoke with him last cruise and he was amazed to learn where the box had been placed - he had it moved within an hour.

I wondered the same thing on my first dog-accompanied Celebrity cruise, where we had the chilliest reception EVER to my dog by all the officers and management people, and an absolute refusal to move the box anywhere.

On our most recent cruise on Eclipse, the officers from the Captain on down were warm and gracious toward us. It was night and day. So I hope you'll have that response.

Keep in mind that there is a safety officer on board you can ask to meet with if the box location is hazardous, as it sometimes can be. I spoke with him last cruise and he was amazed to learn where the box had been placed - he had it moved within an hour.

Every cruise, even on the same ship, holds a whole different experience.

Stay calm, cool and assertive! ;)

Henri was very well received on our last cruise - everyone loved her. I hope its the same this time. Good to know about the safety officer.

Dianne

I am thinking of changing my cruise to an Eastern Caribbean. Most of the ports look very easy. The only questionable one is Amber Cove in the Dominican Republic. Anyone here know anything about that one?

Decided not to change my cruise as I'd have lost money. But still a good question for the future if anyone knows.

Princess Cruise Line - Dog Relief Box Question

Thanks in advance for your help.

For those who have cruised Princess with your dog, have you ever asked for a larger box, or for two boxes?

We have only been on Celebrity and they have accommodated our 80 pound seeing-eye dog with two 6 x 6 boxes, side by side. He is a male, and his aim is not very good, so the larger boxes are needed. Also, he does not like to pee and poop in the same box.

Will Princess put the box outside on a deck or on your balcony? He does not like to use a box that is indoors.

Also, doesn't the cardboard box wet through by the end of a seven day cruise?

We tried to call the Princess accessibility department, but apparently they do not take phone calls and will only communicate via email (which is not very accommodating for someone who is blind.) Does anyone have a phone number for them?

Thanks so much and happy cruising to all!

Lynn

Sorry I can't be of help for your friend's questions, Lynn, as we have never sailed Princess.

I do think two 6x6 boxes (even one that size) would be too big to fit on most ship balconies I've seen (with the possible exception of aft/corner staterooms), even for many suites. Maybe if the furniture was removed...but it still could be a tight fit.

Thank you to those of you who tried to answer my question re Princess. When we have had 6 x 6 boxes on Celebrity, they were on an outside deck and not on our balcony. I agree, they would not fit there -- unless we had one of those big suites I dream about. : - )

If anyone has first hand experience with Princess, or a phone number for their accessibility department, please share. On their website you can only contact Accessibility by email. The main number will not allow you to speak with anyone in Accessibility. Not to helpful, especially for someone who is blind, for whom email may or may not be convenient.

Happy Cruising to All!

Lynn

Princess Cruise Line - Dog Relief Box Question

Thanks in advance for your help.

For those who have cruised Princess with your dog, have you ever asked for a larger box, or for two boxes?

We have only been on Celebrity and they have accommodated our 80 pound seeing-eye dog with two 6 x 6 boxes, side by side. He is a male, and his aim is not very good, so the larger boxes are needed. Also, he does not like to pee and poop in the same box.

Will Princess put the box outside on a deck or on your balcony? He does not like to use a box that is indoors.

Also, doesn't the cardboard box wet through by the end of a seven day cruise?

We tried to call the Princess accessibility department, but apparently they do not take phone calls and will only communicate via email (which is not very accommodating for someone who is blind.) Does anyone have a phone number for them?

Thanks so much and happy cruising to all!

Lynn

If anyone has first hand experience with Princess, or a phone number for their accessibility department, please share. On their website you can only contact Accessibility by email. The main number will not allow you to speak with anyone in Accessibility. Not to helpful, especially for someone who is blind, for whom email may or may not be convenient.

Happy Cruising to All!

Lynn

I don't have a telephone number for the Princess Access Department, but you could try e-mailing them and ask them to call you (mentioning that you are blind). If they are not willing to call you, they are required to have a CRO (Complaints Resolution Official) available by telephone.

Dianne

Thank you to those of you who tried to answer my question re Princess. When we have had 6 x 6 boxes on Celebrity, they were on an outside deck and not on our balcony. I agree, they would not fit there -- unless we had one of those big suites I dream about. : - )

Happy Cruising to All!

Lynn

Access Compliance Dept. person is; Kelly Peart - accessoffice@prinesscruises.com - The phone number for Princess is 1-800-774-6237. You can tell them your issue and see if they can direct you to right people. They tell you that they will email the ship prior to your boarding; it seems that these emails are either non-existent or are ignored!

I know that I don't get much done prior to boarding the ship. Once onboard, much more gets done and by the folks who can make it really happen!