Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Wow, I haven't been on here since October!!! I didn't think it had been that long!

My condolences to those who lost pets and service dogs!

Sorry that you guys had to deal with an emotional support pet owner believing one of those scam registry sites over the actual laws (which specifically state that emotional support animals are not service animals)! It is sad that those sites steal from people and angering that they tell them they can take their pets into public places. Passing your pet/emotional support pet off as a service dog is illegal in many states, sometimes with jail time as a result, and of course taking a pet/emotional support pet into a restaurant or business that serves/sells food is against the health codes laws (and the business will be fined for that when caught). While there are legit emotional support pets for people who have legit mental disabilities, there are so many fakers that emotional support pets may not be allowed on airplanes anymore soon. For both airplanes and housing, a doctor's letter is needed to verify the disability and the need for the dog for the disability. They're not otherwise allowed elsewhere under the laws.

As for hotels, service dogs are definitely allowed on the pool deck (not in the pool itself) and the restaurants/breakfast areas. Service dogs are never allowed to be left alone in a hotel room, as per the Department of Justice (the ADA folks). I would assume cruise cabins count as hotel rooms, too. I never tell a hotel I have a service dog when booking, which I normally do online anyway. Sometimes they don't even notice her at check-in, either.

Roz, so sorry to hear about your car accident! I hope you are healed or almost healed now. I highly recommend to all service dog handlers (and pet owners) to use a crash-tested car safety harness. I have two - one is bigger to fit on top of the mobility harness - that are Sleepypod Utility Sport harnesses. You can see their crash test videos on their Web site. They are coming out with a new, better version soon - and it even has a place to attach "Service Dog" patches and has saddlebags you can use with it. A car harness not only protects your dog, but you and other passengers (flying dogs can have enough force in a high-speed crash to decapitate a person), and it also prevents your dog from running away through a smashed window or when first responders open the doors. Our service dogs are not only extremely important to our lives as our medical equipment and just being dogs, but they are expensive, too, so need to be protected.

As for pet insurance for veterinary care, it isn't worth it. Instead, take the same amount of money you'd be paying each month for the insurance and put it in a special savings account. If your service dog ever needs expensive medical care, you have all the money in that account to use for it - and it will all be yours until you do.

I am sad to hear that the cruise lines still have not gotten the dog potty thing down yet! That's just ridiculous. It isn't a complicated thing. It is why I brought my own potty area on my last two cruises. I put artificial grass (made for backyards) in a suitcase and a ton of disposable potty pads in a duffel bag, plus large garbage bags to put under everything to protect the balcony floor. If I ever cruise again, I would see about getting a big silicone tray made in place of the garbage bags, with sides high enough to help keep the wind from blowing the pads and grass up. The silicone can be easily rolled up. They make ones sized for one potty pad, but of course that's not big enough for a medium or large dog.

Roz, just to clarify, what you described the PTSD dog do (check the rooms and such) are tasks. Psychiatric service dogs are task-trained just like all other types of service dogs. It is emotional support dogs that aren't trained, and of course those are not service dogs. Also, neurological diseases and disorders are physical and dogs for them are service dogs for physical disabilities just like guide and hearing dogs; they are not "neurological support dogs" or psychiatric service dogs for mental disabilities. Seizure alert dogs are one type of service dogs for neurological diseases.

I am glad those of you who went on cruises had mostly good reports (besides potty box issues and all)!

Someone mentioned the airport relief areas inside security that too many airports still don't have despite the law - it is aggravating that they haven't been done yet! One good thing I found, though, was the Delta Airlines app has maps of airports and they include the service dog relief areas on the maps! That's better than the airports' own Web sites. So, even if you don't fly Delta, I would recommend getting the app so you can use the maps to see exactly where the relief areas are. The post-security outdoor ones are on the maps, too.

As for going through TSA, it is best to go through separate from your dog, otherwise if the detector sounds, you have to be patted down (which can be pretty invasive, especially if you have chronic pain issues) even if it was the dog's collar setting it off. If you go through separately, if you don't set it off, you don't need to be searched, even if your dog set it off (your dog will probably enjoy the pat-down). I send my dog through first so I don't have to worry about any idiots behind me trying to distract her, but many others go through first and then call their dog to them. I don't remove her collar, leash, or mobility harness, but do remove her pack and put it through the x-ray. I wrap her leash around the harness handle so it doesn't drag on the floor.

As for what to bring on a cruise for your dog, that would be stuff like the paperwork, food, travel bowls (I use plastic ones that fold flat - got them on eBay), supplements, measuring cups, spatchula thing I use to mix and serve the dehydrated raw food, a small first aid kit (put a dog first aid app on your phone), dog tag with travel info. like ship and cabin number on it, a toy or two, toothbrush and toothpaste, some treats, dog water bottle (has a top like a hamster bottle that they lick to get the water out) for excursions, paper towels to clean feeding items and such, etc.

I don't recall what else was talked about, so I will end here. :-)

Grrrrr! We've been traveling like crazy lately.

Weekend of the 15th-16th, SD training weekend. Went well. Scooter is coming right along where we want him!

This past weekend we went to see the ASME Human Powered Vehicle Competition in Cookeville, TN. Lots of rain. Didn't feel like being wet, and having wet dog, so we were there in the break from rain, but otherwise we saw a lot of the hotel room.

Then, on the way home, we stopped at a Sam's Club. Scooter is doing just what he is supposed to. This woman sees him and says to her spouse, "See! I want to get a vest made for (name) so that I can just bring him with me"

I just about shot off my mouth, but was tired and realized it might start more than I wanted. Both hubby and I talked about it later. He was the same way. What is WRONG with people!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Wow, I haven't been on here since October!!! I didn't think it had been that long!

My condolences to those who lost pets and service dogs!

:-)

Quam, I hope all is good for you.

I would NEVER recommend tethering my dog into my car. Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING will take the place of "training" your dog to remain laying down, and resting into the back of the back seat or on the floor [in front of the back seat.] There is never a way of knowing what would be the best because each car accident is so different, as is each car.

If the car would catch fire and you couldn't get to your dog, he might have a chance of escaping on his own. If he were tethered into the back seat and your arm is broken and you can only use verbal cues and commands, he has a better chance of surviving. I know this first hand!!!! Would a seat harness save your dog more than good training......would and could your dog become a projectile......Please, teach your dog to lay down and stay down!

Also, I would NEVER let Horton off leash in a public area or in an area where he could get loose onto a public street i.e. airport/train station/cruise terminal. He stays attached to me NO MATTER WHAT! He's that valuable to me! And, he has the worst re-call!

Remember: Not everything works for everyone! Use your good senses and if you go through life with a Service Dog, do it the way that works best for you as a team!!!!

I'm curious; for those of you that do car trips with your dogs; where does he lay or sit down? And, do any of you use a crate for your car trips?

We had a long discussion about this at my SD class a couple of months ago.

One of the things we learned was that in an accident, if the dog is loose, it is up to the first responder if they are going to approach the car or not. If the FR feels unsafe at any time, the FR has the option of not treating/rescuing the person/people in the car. The police are trained to shoot the dog if there is ANY QUESTION. This was verified by the parent of a girl in the class, a HP officer for a nearby state. He said the police he knows will try to avoid doing so, but that if there is a question they will do what they feel they need to do. It was interesting to hear it from the perspective of the officer.

Because of this, my trainers recommend using a safety belt and harness or kennel for traveling, since in their view, and the view of the police they know, a dog that is contained in some way, either tethered or in a kennel, is unlikely to be a risk to the FR, and therefore less likely to be considered a threat. They use both a kennel and a tether, depending the situation.

We have a tether for Scooter, with a harness over his breast bone. If we have a short trip in town, where the speed limit is no more than 35mph, and often less, his cape has D-Rings that are enough to keep him from becoming a projectile. We use a Wiredog brand cape. If a longer trip, he wears his safety harness. 3/4 of the time, he wears the harness even in town. We have a tether that hooks to the child safety lach in the seat. We have one that plugs into the seat belt as well, but if he steps on the seat belt release, he can release himself. He knows how to do that - silly smart pooch!

He is usually curled in the middle seat of the minivan, right behind the driver's side, and I'm usually driving in that car. If the other car, a Lincoln MKT, we put covers over the middle seats as well, and he usually curls in the seat behind the driver while my husband is driving.

I've contemplated getting a sign for the car that identifies him as a SD on board, but afraid that might invite trouble. The Baby on Board signs were originally designed to let a FR know a baby might be in the seat and to look. Most people don't realize that.

We had a long discussion about this at my SD class a couple of months ago.

One of the things we learned was that in an accident, if the dog is loose, it is up to the first responder if they are going to approach the car or not. If the FR feels unsafe at any time, the FR has the option of not treating/rescuing the person/people in the car. The police are trained to shoot the dog if there is ANY QUESTION. This was verified by the parent of a girl in the class, a HP officer for a nearby state. He said the police he knows will try to avoid doing so, but that if there is a question they will do what they feel they need to do. It was interesting to hear it from the perspective of the officer.

Because of this, my trainers recommend using a safety belt and harness or kennel for traveling, since in their view, and the view of the police they know, a dog that is contained in some way, either tethered or in a kennel, is unlikely to be a risk to the FR, and therefore less likely to be considered a threat. They use both a kennel and a tether, depending the situation.

We have a tether for Scooter, with a harness over his breast bone. If we have a short trip in town, where the speed limit is no more than 35mph, and often less, his cape has D-Rings that are enough to keep him from becoming a projectile. We use a Wiredog brand cape. If a longer trip, he wears his safety harness. 3/4 of the time, he wears the harness even in town. We have a tether that hooks to the child safety lach in the seat. We have one that plugs into the seat belt as well, but if he steps on the seat belt release, he can release himself. He knows how to do that - silly smart pooch!

He is usually curled in the middle seat of the minivan, right behind the driver's side, and I'm usually driving in that car. If the other car, a Lincoln MKT, we put covers over the middle seats as well, and he usually curls in the seat behind the driver while my husband is driving.

I've contemplated getting a sign for the car that identifies him as a SD on board, but afraid that might invite trouble. The Baby on Board signs were originally designed to let a FR know a baby might be in the seat and to look. Most people don't realize that.

Barb, thanks so much for sharing this information.

I had signs on the back window [on both sides of my SUV] that read: "SERVICE DOG ONBOARD" Please allow enough space for him to enter and exit this vehicle." CCI thought the signs were great. And, I did have folks who repositioned their parking after they got out of their car and read the signs.

The responders to my accident did not feel that Horton was in any danger if he remained in the car. [This was after I had already checked on him and they asked me to please leave him in the car.] I could see that they were very nervous about him, even though I reassured them that he would be no harm to them. It was a lovely woman, an innocent bystander, who asked if she could get him for me and bring him to me. The police said, "no" and asked that she wait until I could get him so he could hear my voice and I could give him directives. Again, they feared that he would act out!

I went to my car [which had rested itself against a curb], I couldn't wait to hold Horton! Thank goodness he was fine. I took his leash, which is ALWAYS attached to him when he's in the car and walked him to the sidewalk, where this lovely woman took him from me and walked him a bit so I could observe him being himself! He promptly went to the bathroom and appeared perfect!

Neither the police, the firemen or the paramedics were willing to take responsibility for Horton, no matter how much I insisted that he was a highly trained Service Dog!!!!

Again, thanks for sharing your insights.

I'm curious; for those of you that do car trips with your dogs; where does he lay or sit down? And, do any of you use a crate for your car trips?

Henri rides in the middle set of seats in my Minivan - we have a seat cover / hammock that keeps her from falling off onto the floor or between the two bucket seats. For short rides around town, I don't put her harness on. For freeway driving or long trips in the car she wears a sleepypod clickit safety harness (the seatbelt buckles through the loops in the back of the harness).

Dianne

Henri rides in the middle set of seats in my Minivan - we have a seat cover / hammock that keeps her from falling off onto the floor or between the two bucket seats. For short rides around town, I don't put her harness on. For freeway driving or long trips in the car she wears a sleepypod clickit safety harness (the seatbelt buckles through the loops in the back of the harness).

Dianne

Dianne, thanks for the info.

I am so disappointed/frustrated in Princess' access office. I have asked them no less than 3 times about how do we know if our diabetic alert dog will be allowed on our chosen shore excursions that we booked through Princess. We're going to Alaska and my concerns are the floatplane trip (can the plane handle another 80lbs?),, the sled dog excursion, the White Pass railway trip that goes into Canada, and the shore excursion in Victoria, BC - so pretty much every shore excursion we've booked. Haven't heard a thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't find a phone number and clearly my e-mails are being ignored.

Thanks in advance!

I am so disappointed/frustrated in Princess' access office. I have asked them no less than 3 times about how do we know if our diabetic alert dog will be allowed on our chosen shore excursions that we booked through Princess. We're going to Alaska and my concerns are the floatplane trip (can the plane handle another 80lbs?),, the sled dog excursion, the White Pass railway trip that goes into Canada, and the shore excursion in Victoria, BC - so pretty much every shore excursion we've booked. Haven't heard a thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't find a phone number and clearly my e-mails are being ignored.

Thanks in advance!

Floatplane: Your dog will have a problem, there is not much room for an 80lb dog and there is a weight minimum, if your dog puts them over the limit, they could ask you NOT to bring him onboard. You may have to leave him on the ship with someone to watch him for the time that you are on this excursion.

Sled Dog excursion: We were asked NOT to bring our dog because it may be too much distraction for her and the sled dogs and we were warned that there may some exposure to fleas/ticks/mosquitos. And, coming back and going through Immigration I was asked if we visited a dog sled or other farm areas, if so Brenda had to be put through an extensive examination by Immigration. I was so surprised at this, and although my dogs are on flea/tick/mosquito preventative they still would rather that she not come in.

White Pass Railway: Was a great excursion for all of us. Brenda slept, between the seats, the entire time as we took turns getting up and down and going to the exits [between the trains] so that we could take some amazing pictures. We're going to do this one again next April, while onboard the Emerald Princess.

Also, there is a tram ride in either Skagway or Ketchikan that takes you to a wonderful visit with the Inuit Indian Reservation. We really enjoyed that excursion and, they loved Brenda.

I've said this before and I'll repeat it.......I have yet to have any luck with any of the cruise lines and their "Special Needs" Departments. None of them know what they're doing completely. A lot of what you plan to do when it comes to excursions and your dog has to be so well thought-out.. Taking a strange dog to visit the grounds of a dog sledding encampment is really iffy at best. And, a small aircraft and an 80lb dog.......not a good match, in my humble opinion.

You can still do all of the above, if you make friends while onboard and find someone who is willing to take care of your dog for you while you take these excursions.

Also, is it a good idea to take a medical alert dog away from it's handler even for a brief time? Only you really know the answer to this.

You can have a wonderful time on excursions with your dog.........They just might have to be a bit more planned-out and different. :*

Happy weekend everyone. Horty and I are doing nothing, absolutely nothing.

DKD, if you're in Team Training I hope it's going well for you. If you're busy graduating with your new dog.....then I'm really excited for you.

For those of you who are close to your cruising dates.......I know that you're so excited and looking forward to embarkation day! No matter how many times we do this very same thing, the day we board gives me goose bumps and smiles all over again!!!!!

Roz - thanks so much for your comments. That's kind of what I was afraid of. We'll have a great time regardless of what we do. But I just can't believe they don't have the common decency to answer e-mails and don't provide a phone number :mad:

Would anyone else like to chime in about what Alaska excursions they've done with their service dogs? We'll be visiting Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria.

Roz - thanks so much for your comments. That's kind of what I was afraid of. We'll have a great time regardless of what we do. But I just can't believe they don't have the common decency to answer e-mails and don't provide a phone number :mad:

Would anyone else like to chime in about what Alaska excursions they've done with their service dogs? We'll be visiting Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria.

You are so welcome and welcome to our wonderful group.

Please be aware that the Gardens in Victoria were lovely to visit but the rules changed on two different visits. One person said, "welcome", another said, "we would prefer that your Service Dog stay in a confined area!"

The bottom line is that so many people bring in miss-behaving dogs and try to pass them off as service dogs. They make it so difficult for those of us with legitimate Service Dogs. Their dogs growl, sniff and lurch at the public and even are allowed to go to the bathroom in public spaces. I'm a true dog lover but I'm not shy to "call-out" anyone who abuses the system with their poorly behaving fakes!!!!!

Disney Kids Dad answered your February post here with their experience in Skagway, so you might check back for that and other responses. We took two Allen Marine Tours (booked through the cruise line) last September, and I verified with the tour operator before booking that the tour was suitable for my service dog. Their boats had plenty of room for the dog on the Misty Fjords Excursion in Ketchikan. We also took a bus excursion to the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau that worked out very well. Great scenic path to the Glacier which gave the dog plenty of fun exercise.

Just reporting in from Missouri that we are fine. Lots of rain, lots of road closures and a couple of bridges out, but nothing directly influencing me. We found a roof leak the hard way, but that happens.

Just reporting in from Missouri that we are fine. Lots of rain, lots of road closures and a couple of bridges out, but nothing directly influencing me. We found a roof leak the hard way, but that happens.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk[/quote

Barb, I'm so glad all is well......stay safe!

We're having the hottest weather, at this time, since the 1940's. We're supposed to cool down 20 degrees by Friday and have rain on the weekend.:confused:

Barb, so glad you are safe and dry! We are good on this side of the state as well.

I've been watching YouTube videos of all the flooding in my beloved vacation mecca of Branson, MO. They always recover, but it is so heart wrenching to watch all that water in all those homes and businesses. One video showed a man in hip deep water as he waded across to rescue some pets. (This was not rushing, raging water.) The person recording the video stopped and did not physically follow him all the way across. Next thing that appeared was this same man coming back with a bin that had several small dogs in it. They were so happy to be rescued, and were trying to hop out before he got back to the shallow area. Living in the flood plain is not for the faint of heart.

Thanks for posting Barb!

Beckie

Barb, so glad you are safe and dry! We are good on this side of the state as well.

I've been watching YouTube videos of all the flooding in my beloved vacation mecca of Branson, MO. They always recover, but it is so heart wrenching to watch all that water in all those homes and businesses. One video showed a man in hip deep water as he waded across to rescue some pets. (This was not rushing, raging water.) The person recording the video stopped and did not physically follow him all the way across. Next thing that appeared was this same man coming back with a bin that had several small dogs in it. They were so happy to be rescued, and were trying to hop out before he got back to the shallow area. Living in the flood plain is not for the faint of heart.

Thanks for posting Barb!

Beckie

Every time there are fires or floods my mind immediately goes to the animals. I say a little prayer inside my head hoping that they are safe. It's so heart wrenching to watch these innocent beings in trouble and afraid.

Horton and I witnessed a baby bird falling out of his nest and Horty wanted to go over and help [i think]......I thought it would be best to allow the baby to catch his breath and try to fly on his own, without Horton's input!

It has been in the media here lately: the American Red Cross (disaster response team) and the humane society are teaming up to help with pets. They have brought some climate controlled trucks in and said anyone who had to evacuate and can't keep pets with them can bring them by for safe keeping. In one case, the truck is parked at a church that is set up as a shelter.

I don't recall seeing that in previous floods.

Nearby, we have an entire town washed away, lots of distruction. Because the interstate has been closed, big trucks are trying to find a way through, following their GPS instead of the posted detour, and getting to places they have no business in - like gravel roads. In one case, the truck was driving down a gravel road to an even smaller gravel road, realized he could go no further and tried to back out. He ended up stuck in a field and took two big wenches to pull him out. It is just a real mess.

Meanwhile, we have very young kittens living under the ramp to my front porch. Mom is a feral. So, the next task is to try to catch them once they are moving on their own. We have a real feral issue around here. I'm hoping to catch the kittens while they are young enough to be tamed. The shelter here will then adopt them out. If I can catch the adults, a friend has a farm and can always use mousers.

It has been in the media here lately: the American Red Cross (disaster response team) and the humane society are teaming up to help with pets. They have brought some climate controlled trucks in and said anyone who had to evacuate and can't keep pets with them can bring them by for safe keeping. In one case, the truck is parked at a church that is set up as a shelter.

I don't recall seeing that in previous floods.

Nearby, we have an entire town washed away, lots of distruction. Because the interstate has been closed, big trucks are trying to find a way through, following their GPS instead of the posted detour, and getting to places they have no business in - like gravel roads. In one case, the truck was driving down a gravel road to an even smaller gravel road, realized he could go no further and tried to back out. He ended up stuck in a field and took two big wenches to pull him out. It is just a real mess.

Meanwhile, we have very young kittens living under the ramp to my front porch. Mom is a feral. So, the next task is to try to catch them once they are moving on their own. We have a real feral issue around here. I'm hoping to catch the kittens while they are young enough to be tamed. The shelter here will then adopt them out. If I can catch the adults, a friend has a farm and can always use mousers.

Barb, some amazing stories come out of these floods. We saw on the news a father and two children being rescued. He thought he could get through the water and his car got overturned with the children trapped in the back, underwater and harnessed into their seats. What a story! All were rescued and CPR applied.

Sometimes I find myself glued to the t.v. news and weather channel.

I hope the kitty's get saved.

I have a question-off topic; to anyone who's taken their Service Dogs to a funeral and to graveside. What is your feeling? I don't want to leave Horton in the car due to our warm weather and I have a funeral that I MUST attend tomorrow. I was thinking about putting him in "doggie day care" for the time but I also really do need his assistance. What are your thoughts?

Thank goodness this is not something I need to worry about too often!

Glad to hear that those in the flood areas are doing okay. So heartbreaking to watch the videos of all the destruction.

Roz, I would not hesitate to take Henri to a funeral with me. I am sure that no one will even blink an eye if you bring Horton.

Dianne

Glad to hear that those in the flood areas are doing okay. So heartbreaking to watch the videos of all the destruction.

Roz, I would not hesitate to take Henri to a funeral with me. I am sure that no one will even blink an eye if you bring Horton.

Dianne

Thanks Dianne, I truly appreciate the input. He knows how to act in all situations and I'm not concerned about his behavior, I just wanted to be very respectful. You helped me to feel better about it.