Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Horton did it! He was such a rock star at CCI [Canine Companions for Independence] on Saturday! He acted like a perfect gentleman, he did EVERYTHING he was asked to do and he past the physical exam.....EARS [check], NAILS [check], TEETH [check], SKIN/FUR [check], WEIGHT [check]. I got a new vest for him and he got to see his trainer friends and get all those wonderful "sniffs" in before we made our 2 1/2 hour journey home!

Of course seeing the dogs who were in training always gives me goose bumps and puts a huge happy smile on my face. CCI is such a well-oiled machine. If you've ever thought about Puppy Raising or getting a Service Dog for yourself or a family member or would like to give your donation dollars to a truly, amazing and wonderful organization please call CCI. There's probably one in your area or close by.

Horton is now certified for another 3 years. I told them that I will ALWAYS want a CCI dog in my life......I can't imagine living without one! :*

:)(y)<3:D and other positive emoticons to Horton who, through Roz and all her friends on Cruise Critic, has exemplified how dedicated a Service Dog is to his/her profession.

Thanks, Roz, for sharing the great news.

And what a gorgeous day in Oceanside it was.

Horton did it! He was such a rock star at CCI [Canine Companions for Independence] on Saturday! He acted like a perfect gentleman, he did EVERYTHING he was asked to do and he past the physical exam.....EARS [check], NAILS [check], TEETH [check], SKIN/FUR [check], WEIGHT [check]. I got a new vest for him and he got to see his trainer friends and get all those wonderful "sniffs" in before we made our 2 1/2 hour journey home!

Of course seeing the dogs who were in training always gives me goose bumps and puts a huge happy smile on my face. CCI is such a well-oiled machine. If you've ever thought about Puppy Raising or getting a Service Dog for yourself or a family member or would like to give your donation dollars to a truly, amazing and wonderful organization please call CCI. There's probably one in your area or clos

Horton is now certified for another 3 years. I told them that I will ALWAYS want a CCI dog in my life......I can't imagine living without one! :*

Great job Horton and Roz!! Two weeks from today we will be in Team Training for my daughters successor dog. Gonna be a long two weeks!!

:)(y)<3:D and other positive emoticons to Horton who, through Roz and all her friends on Cruise Critic, has exemplified how dedicated a Service Dog is to his/her profession.

Thanks, Roz, for sharing the great news.

And what a gorgeous day in Oceanside it was.

It was a perfect day in all ways.......Thanks Walt ♥

Great job Horton and Roz!! Two weeks from today we will be in Team Training for my daughters successor dog. Gonna be a long two weeks!!

I'm so excited for ALL of you. A new, trained CCI dog in all of your lives......It doesn't get much better than that....."Orson" will be smiling down on all of you!

Lucky is the CCI dog who gets adopted by your family. ♥

Princess Cruise Line - Dog Relief Box Question

Thanks in advance for your help.

For those who have cruised Princess with your dog, have you ever asked for a larger box, or for two boxes?

We have only been on Celebrity and they have accommodated our 80 pound seeing-eye dog with two 6 x 6 boxes, side by side. He is a male, and his aim is not very good, so the larger boxes are needed. Also, he does not like to pee and poop in the same box.

Will Princess put the box outside on a deck or on your balcony? He does not like to use a box that is indoors.

Also, doesn't the cardboard box wet through by the end of a seven day cruise?

We tried to call the Princess accessibility department, but apparently they do not take phone calls and will only communicate via email (which is not very accommodating for someone who is blind.) Does anyone have a phone number for them?

Thanks so much and happy cruising to all!

Lynn

Of course seeing the dogs who were in training always gives me goose bumps and puts a huge happy smile on my face. CCI is such a well-oiled machine. If you've ever thought about Puppy Raising or getting a Service Dog for yourself or a family member or would like to give your donation dollars to a truly, amazing and wonderful organization please call CCI. There's probably one in your area or close by.

Yay, Anti Roz and Horty Jeffrey! We knew you guys would "kill" it! Very proud....:kiss-mark:

But after the two weeks will be amazing. I know you guys can't wait. Neither can I! All paws and claws crossed for the best of the best.

So excited for you all! You must be thinking and wondering about the new successor dog's personality. They are each such distinct individuals, aren't they? I was so filled with anticipation during the weeks leading up to Raylene. Exciting (and no doubt exhausting) times ahead for the DKD family!

It is an exhausting two weeks for sure - so excited for you. Can't wait to hear about your daughter's new partner.

Dianne

Has anyone have any experience with MSC Cruise Line out of MIA with SD? Would like to try the new MSC Seaside, but previously looked into booking their older MSC Divina, was told relief area would be a provided training pad. No way. When asking to speak to the Access Dept in a round about way it sounded like the MSC agents were the Access Dept and someone would contact me. It's been 2 yrs and still waiting for a call back from MSC to answer SD relief area questions? Has anything changed since then? Have canceled HAL's new K Dam after sending 2 emails to Access Dept and no reply. Only reason interested is, like brand new ships and attractive rates, down side, SD not comfortable using inside relief areas and MIA.

Mornin' all,

Most mornings when I take Travis to school, I get the pleasure of seeing a big, apricot colored, standard poodle, walking his mom and dad! I always forget to come on here to tell you guys. He has the biggest smile and confidant walk. He has recently had his hairs cut, it is already hitting the low 90 degrees here! Anyway, just wanted to share.....:cool:

Princess Cruise Line - Dog Relief Box Question

Thanks in advance for your help.

For those who have cruised Princess with your dog, have you ever asked for a larger box, or for two boxes?

We have only been on Celebrity and they have accommodated our 80 pound seeing-eye dog with two 6 x 6 boxes, side by side. He is a male, and his aim is not very good, so the larger boxes are needed. Also, he does not like to pee and poop in the same box.

Will Princess put the box outside on a deck or on your balcony? He does not like to use a box that is indoors.

Also, doesn't the cardboard box wet through by the end of a seven day cruise?

We tried to call the Princess accessibility department, but apparently they do not take phone calls and will only communicate via email (which is not very accommodating for someone who is blind.) Does anyone have a phone number for them?

Thanks so much and happy cruising to all!

Lynn

Lynn, welcome!!!! First, let me tell you that getting to talk to the "Special Needs" Dept. of any cruise line is practically impossible and virtually non-existent! And, in all honesty, mostly useless. Once you're onboard the ship whatever you may have requested or asked for is in their hands and they'll do it "their way" anyway!

All the cruise lines are basically the same and you can expect being treated as well as your kind demands will allow.

1. The box is usually a 4x4 or 5x5 either a wooden or heavy cardboard.

2. The filler is a myriad of substances; from wood shavings, grass sod to wood chips and/or mulch. You may ask for as much as you need. [My dog requires that the box be filled to the brim, so that he can do his circles without displacing all the filler.]

3. The ship will place the box where they think it best suits their needs.......YOU MUST insist that you want the box to be placed on your veranda [if you have one] or in a nearby area that is closest to your cabin. If your dog will NOT go potty in an inside area, you may have to use the elevator or stairs and go up or down a deck or two to arrive at the placement area. If you are unhappy with the area, ask to have it placed elsewhere.

4. WARNING: The ships officers will tell you that it's against health regulations to place the box on your veranda. There is NO SUCH REGULATION! Insist that the box be placed on your veranda because you can not walk long distances and it's safer for you and your dog to have the box close by to ensure that he doesn't have accidents.

The ship can provide two boxes for you, if necessary. However, if you have a regulation size patio and not an extended one, they might not fit.

Ideally, if you need two boxes they can place them in a stairwell near your cabin. And, although it is indoors, because it's so large, your dog may not feel like it's an indoor spot. And, this may be perfect for you, your dog and your two boxes.

Having your own veranda is the most ideal area for the box. You will pick up the dogs solid waste and dispose of it into a provided receptacle [bring your own plastic bags] or, they can provide them for you. Your cabin steward will maintain the box for you. I like to maintain it myself.......this is up to you.

The ship uses a heavy duty plastic liner for the base and they place the filler on top. My dog weighs 95 pounds, is a male, drinks and pees like a horse and did not soak through the filler and lining on a 19 day cruise.

The ships need our help in what to provide and how to provide it. A good majority of the crew may NOT even like dogs and don't expect to have one onboard their ship. Most love you dog.....but, some will not. The crews change every few months and the crew who cruised with a Service Dog and know exactly what to do may not be the same crew that you're cruising with. So, be patient, be kind, ask gently for what you need and be teaching them what a dog needs and how to best accommodate you and him.

I promise it will all come together by the second day and the rest of your cruise will be a pleasant and easy journey♥

Has anyone have any experience with MSC Cruise Line out of MIA with SD? Would like to try the new MSC Seaside, but previously looked into booking their older MSC Divina, was told relief area would be a provided training pad. No way. When asking to speak to the Access Dept in a round about way it sounded like the MSC agents were the Access Dept and someone would contact me. It's been 2 yrs and still waiting for a call back from MSC to answer SD relief area questions? Has anything changed since then? Have canceled HAL's new K Dam after sending 2 emails to Access Dept and no reply. Only reason interested is, like brand new ships and attractive rates, down side, SD not comfortable using inside relief areas and MIA.

"Access" Departments are the most inaccessible departments of all cruise lines. Except for the necessary paperwork that most of them require before cruising I don't even bother communicating with them anymore. They're not very helpful and although they say that they will give my directives to the ships Hotel Manager, I have yet to have a manager tell me that they've heard from the "Access Dept." and I've yet to have my requests met. They say that they email each other.......

If there's a ship or destination that I really want to take.....I make my plans, I expect that they will have a potty-box for my dog [all ships have a wood-working dept. where they repair furniture, etc.] When you board, if they have not provided a box. Go directly to the Hotel Manager and request that a box be made......4x4 or 5x5 pieces of wood nailed together with a floor, heavy duty plastic to line it and some wood shavings to fill it. All of the aforementioned is easily gotten from the wood-working dept.

Onboard the Celebrity Summit, the Hotel Manager sent an officer off the ship to purchase two bags of Cyprus mulch from a nearby nursery, because they were not prepared after being emailed dozens of times over a one year period that were coming onboard with our dog. Another time, Carnival cruise lines sent a crew person off the ship in San Diego with a bucket and a shovel to dig up some dirt and bring it back to fill my dogs potty box.....True stories.

My husband once told the Hotel Manager that if he let him go down to the woodshop he'd be happy to put the box together himself in 5 minutes.

These ships are capable of making us happy and filling our needs. We just have to help them think!!!!!

If you're driving to the port bring along some artificial turf [in a large plastic bag] and some "piddle-pads" to use on your patio until the ship gets its act together. It's what I did and it worked. I picked up the pads, disposed of them in the receptacle and rinsed off the turf, laid it in the sun and then rolled it up, put it into the bag and took it home with me one-time and on another time, I just left it behind!!!! You can't do this if you're flying into a port with your dog. However, you could stuff some piddle pads into your carry on. It wouldn't hurt to teach our dogs to go potty on a "piddle-pad" in a dire emergency. And, it's so much easier when our male dogs squat like the girls!!!! ;p

I once asked a TSA agent to open a door in the cruise terminal so Horton could use one of the flower boxes [the only dirt around to go potty], when we got delayed in boarding our ship.

Hey, we travel with a Service Dog......they can only hold it for so long and their comfort is very important to their ability to perform for us! :D

Also, I have traveled to Europe with Brenda. We flew into Washington, DC, on to Paris and finally landed in Zurich, Switzerland, where we rented a car and drove through Europe for 3 weeks. We ended our trip back in Paris and flew home. It was wonderful. Europeans love dogs and even allow them into their restaurants, shops and hotels without question. There are dog drinking fountains outside many of the shops and parks.

The most difficult part of the trip was the airline and the passengers who didn't want a dog to sit near them. We had to re-locate ourselves twice.......but, for the most part it was a wonderful experience. We had airline hosts who would take Brenda for a relief walk onto the tarmac for us when our flight was delayed. We were unexpectedly stuck onboard the flight for over an hour and a half and she had to go potty. We were very lucky to run into some of the nicest people on so many of our journeys with her!

....Have canceled HAL's new K Dam after sending 2 emails to Access Dept and no reply. Only reason interested is, like brand new ships and attractive rates, down side, SD not comfortable using inside relief areas and MIA.

Can't help with the MSC cruise line, but I've had good luck on three different cruises with HAL. Before you cancelled, did you fill out the Special Requirements Information form for people with disabilities - found online? You give them your booking number, sailing date and other information once you have booked. Once you do that, in my experience they always email back with more detailed dog-related paperwork to be filled out and returned to them. I always write on each of their forms my needs for the relief area, the dining room seating, etc. Closer to departure, you can email them information about any tours you plan to book. I know they communicated with the ship because the shore excursions department in Alaska had a "reserved" sign with my name on it in the front seat on a tour bus.

I agree with Roz that once you get on board, you may have to spell out your needs once again. Hard to say where the communications breakdown happens, but it does.

HAL built more wooden boxes and got mulch to fill them in Homer, Alaska on our last cruise when we had multiple dogs on board using the small relief areas provided. Once on Celebrity, our room steward arranged for mulch when the ship arrived on the island of St. Maarten. You just have to ask and follow up with a written request to the Hotel Manager as needed.

Can't help with the MSC cruise line, but I've had good luck on three different cruises with HAL. Before you cancelled, did you fill out the Special Requirements Information form for people with disabilities - found online? You give them your booking number, sailing date and other information once you have booked. Once you do that, in my experience they always email back with more detailed dog-related paperwork to be filled out and returned to them. I always write on each of their forms my needs for the relief area, the dining room seating, etc. Closer to departure, you can email them information about any tours you plan to book. I know they communicated with the ship because the shore excursions department in Alaska had a "reserved" sign with my name on it in the front seat on a tour bus.

I agree with Roz that once you get on board, you may have to spell out your needs once again. Hard to say where the communications breakdown happens, but it does.

HAL built more wooden boxes and got mulch to fill them in Homer, Alaska on our last cruise when we had multiple dogs on board using the small relief areas provided. Once on Celebrity, our room steward arranged for mulch when the ship arrived on the island of St. Maarten. You just have to ask and follow up with a written request to the Hotel Manager as needed.

I once approached the guest services desk when we were onboard HAL's Oosterdam and again when we were onboard the Carnival Splendor and said that I wasn't leaving until either the Hotel Manager or someone else, in charge, spoke with me. They kept telling me that no one was available until the next day, and I had an issue with fellow passengers throwing their cigarette butts into Brenda's box on one occasion and the potty box being way too small on another.

On the Splendor the box was moved to our veranda and on the Oosterdam a new box was built and replaced the smaller one before we were through with dinner. As a matter of fact, a officer came to find us at our dinner table and asked us to follow him to see it. It was spectacular [as potty box's go!]

The Splendor offered us 25% off of our next cruise and we had chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our cabin on the Oosterdam.

These ships want you to be happy and they want you to continue to book with them. Use your good sense, your best smile and your charming personality when asking for favors for yourself and your dog!!!!

Although the potty box is more than just a "favor" that your requesting......it's still something way out of the "norm" for them to think about. Help them think.....and then let them think it was their great idea all along!!!!

I promise you will get so much out of these hard-working folks if you use your kind and gentle spirit! ;)