Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Got notice from Carnival that my May cruise was canceled.  As much as I enjoyed cruising, I am just going to take my 100% refund and sit tight for now.  I have one booked for September, at this point, I could take it or leave it.  I am keeping it booked and just will wait and see.

Things WILL change with cruising, just don't know in what way.  But all travel will change.  Not being conspiracy theorist here, it is just going to be after 9-11 where things have to change some way.  Once things open back up I am just going to spend my travel money in the U.S.   I was thinking of taking my daughter and her boyfriend on a cruise in December, but I am now looking at going to St. Augustine, Florida for the holidays.  I want to go there anyways.  I am not going to stop traveling, just readjust.

Hope everyone is staying well.

Linda and Halo

5 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Bahahaha.  Sea Hags, describes me to the T right now.  I have been trying to go out and pull weeds to get fresh air.  We have these gorgeous "plants" with purple flowers on them they grow fast and get large.  They are actually weeds.  The name is Scorpion Weed.  They have a "sting" if you touch them or even rub against it.  I have to keep them pulled so the dog doesn't get it on their the and bring it in the house.  Not sure they are still spraying for weeds or if they are closed down.  We have had so much rain the weeds have gone wild.  I will have to call and see.

Just think of it as a way to get some exercise!

52 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

Got notice from Carnival that my May cruise was canceled.  As much as I enjoyed cruising, I am just going to take my 100% refund and sit tight for now.  I have one booked for September, at this point, I could take it or leave it.  I am keeping it booked and just will wait and see.

Things WILL change with cruising, just don't know in what way.  But all travel will change.  Not being conspiracy theorist here, it is just going to be after 9-11 where things have to change some way.  Once things open back up I am just going to spend my travel money in the U.S.   I was thinking of taking my daughter and her boyfriend on a cruise in December, but I am now looking at going to St. Augustine, Florida for the holidays.  I want to go there anyways.  I am not going to stop traveling, just readjust.

Linda and Halo

It will definitely be interesting to see how cruising will change.  There are so many moments before the cruise even begins when you're in a congested area filled with lots and lots of people.  

There are tons of lines everywhere you go before, during and after a cruise.  How these groupings of people will be managed will certainly be interesting to see.  Maybe they'll have to do what WalMart has done with placing stickers on the ground to show folks where they need to stand apart from each other, and lots of greeters to assist in keeping people apart from each other, can you imagine how they're going to handle the shoulder to shoulder lines at the restaurants and excursions! 

It will be a logistical nightmare that's for sure.  

Maybe they'll need Service Dogs to keep the crowds in tow!!!!!  

I received the dreaded email from Princess letting me know that my May 30th cruise to Alaska has been cancelled.  They are offering 100% return and if you let the money ride they will offer 25% OBC for a new booking until 2022, or you must request return by May 31st.

Right now I'm so disappointed I'm doing nothing.  I was really looking forward to getting back on board the Golden to Alaska, and I knew that this was going to be Horton's LAST CRUISE!   I don't think it would be fair to ask a 12 year old dog to complete a 15 day cruise with all the walking and exercise that would be expected of him.  That makes me the saddest.  He's such a great traveler and so much fun to be with, but I won't push him.

I'm going to take some time to think about my future cruising, whether it will be in 2021 or 2022.  It will definitely be with a Successor Dog, and thinking of that makes me absolutely crazy!

I have my application into CCI and am awaiting the interview process to begin.

• Like 1

Oh Roz,, that is just not possible that Horty is 12!  I remember that big beautiful boy when he came to you!  He still had those long gangly TALL boy dog legs.  ❤️🥰😚 hugs and pawrayers.  to you and Horty.  

Edited by S.S. Cruisers

19 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I'm going to take some time to think about my future cruising, whether it will be in 2021 or 2022.  It will definitely be with a Successor Dog, and thinking of that makes me absolutely crazy!

So disappointing to have your cruise canceled, but who knows when things will be back to normal.

With all the CCI campuses closed, I hope it doesn't take too long to get a successor dog.

3 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Oh Roz,, that is just not possible that Horty is 12!  I remember that big beautiful boy when he came to you!  He still had those long gangly TALL boy dog legs.  ❤️🥰😚 hugs and pawrayers.  to you and Horty.  

When I wrote of Horty being 12 that meant when I took my next cruise in 2021.  Horty will be 11 years old on April 29th.  I knew that this cruise on May 30th would be his last one.....but, it's just not going to happen.  And, as I said, taking Horton on a cruise next year just doesn't seem doable when he will be 12.

I can't really think about doing anything without Horton being part of it but I have to remember, that is exactly how I felt about Brenda when she had completed her 15 cruise and I just couldn't imagine cruising without her.  Then came Mr. Horton who made the experience even more fun!

This virus has made me realize how much I adore this dog and having his company has meant the world to me.  He is my dearest and most loving friend.  I will forever be grateful to him for being so patient with my changing moods and demands!

Thank you, Nancy, for your loving and kind words!  

CCI is in a "pause" mode for their breeding and training programs and wait lists.  They're taking applications but can't give me any idea about when they will be starting their programs and interview processes again.  I had to wait a year for Horton, and, that's with putting me on top of the waiting list for a Successor Dog.  Who know's how long it will be before trainers and program managers can get a good routine and list of dogs ready for team training to begin again.

I pray that Horton stays well and we can work together [maybe not cruising] for many more years.  If I make life as easy as I can for Horton hopefully it will extend his life!!!!!!

Be safe, take care, stay inside [unless you must re-stock, or it's absolutely necessary.]

Have a good weekend, as much as we all can have any "goodness" in our lives at this time.

If I close my eyes and think about it too much, I just start to become teary and actually cry about it all!  Maybe that's a good stress reliever, I don't know, I don't want to become a tearful mess over all of this.  Actually, I'm scared that if I allow myself to become too upset, I'll NEVER be able to calm myself down.

I love you all and wish you well! 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 4:54 PM, rpclmc said:

Linda and Halo

Sorry to hear about your cruise. I don't know when the cruises will start again. It's really the worst place to be right now. We have until October to decide if we will even cruise in January. 😢

On 4/15/2020 at 9:09 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

I received the dreaded email from Princess letting me know that my May 30th cruise to Alaska has been cancelled.  They are offering 100% return and if you let the money ride they will offer 25% OBC for a new booking until 2022, or you must request return by May 31st.

Right now I'm so disappointed I'm doing nothing.  I was really looking forward to getting back on board the Golden to Alaska, and I knew that this was going to be Horton's LAST CRUISE!   I don't think it would be fair to ask a 12 year old dog to complete a 15 day cruise with all the walking and exercise that would be expected of him.  That makes me the saddest.  He's such a great traveler and so much fun to be with, but I won't push him.

Sorry Roz. I'm sure everyone who has cruises booked right now are expecting them to be canceled. With stupid people out there, this thing will never be over.

We had to call AAA because both our cars were dead. I haven't driven mine in months but I took the van out a few weeks ago. Surprised neither would start. On my way back from the back lot where my car is, I saw 3 high schoolish age kids walking a dog. None had masks on and the "couple" had their arms around each other while walking. Ugh! Our town has mandatory face masks when outside. Just stupidity.

Our building is elderly and handicapped and still people walking around with no mask. The manager put up a notice from the health dept that everyone has to wear them in the common areas. Come on people!!! Besides the ones who go to the store multiple times a day, every day. It just angers me. We found out this week that a staff member at my mothers nursing home tested positive. Just waiting for the s*** to hit the fan there.

And snow this weekend! What the heck, the apocalypse is here!! 

Edited by rangeley

Roz I can't believe Horty is almost 12yrs old already. I remember when we started here with Brenny and Rangeley. Now we are on our 3rd dog. I'm so glad I got to meet Horty. He's a big love.

Oakland has been wonderful through all this. We are lucky he just loves to lay around and do nothing. As long as he has his couch and blankey, he's good. Lol    

IMG_20200414_103620.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Sorry Roz. I'm sure everyone who has cruises booked right now are expecting them to be canceled. With stupid people out there, this thing will never be over.

We had to call AAA because both our cars were dead. I haven't driven mine in months but I took the van out a few weeks ago. Surprised neither would start. On my way back from the back lot where my car is, I saw 3 high schoolish age kids walking a dog. None had masks on and the "couple" had their arms around each other while walking. Ugh! Our town has mandatory face masks when outside. Just stupidity.

Our building is elderly and handicapped and still people walking around with no mask. The manager put up a notice from the health dept that everyone has to wear them in the common areas. Come on people!!! Besides the ones who go to the store multiple times a day, every day. It just angers me. We found out this week that a staff member at my mothers nursing home tested positive. Just waiting for the s*** to hit the fan there.

And snow this weekend! What the heck, the apocalypse is here!! 

It doesn't surprise me that some folks refuse to wear masks and abide by the distancing policies.  Some people are just plain ignorant and refuse to make it better for all of us!!!!   

We should have military in all our states who actually can tranquilize these morons with a gun, and put them in cages!  Wouldn't that be funny!!!!  Kind of a "Mad Max world!"

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Roz I can't believe Horty is almost 12yrs old already. I remember when we started here with Brenny and Rangeley. Now we are on our 3rd dog. I'm so glad I got to meet Horty. He's a big love.

Oakland has been wonderful through all this. We are lucky he just loves to lay around and do nothing. As long as he has his couch and blankey, he's good. Lol    

IMG_20200414_103620.jpg

Oakie, you're my kind of guy........Couchpawtatoes!!!!!!!

Roz sorry your cruise got canceled. That sucks especially that it was Hortys last cruise. 

We are still considering booking a cruise for next spring on Carnival out of Galveston TX. My mom will not give me a definite yes or no yet due to everything going on. It will be August at the earliest before we know and book. In the mean time I am doing research. We have our eyes on a few sailings on a couple of ships. If we go we will probably sale on the Vista or the Dream. Any advice/ opinions on those ships?

Went to a Neuro Optimologist today because my vision is getting very bad. Was told that if my vision deteriorates any more, even the slightest, I can not legally drive. I have had my eyes checked every 3-6 months lately trying to figure out what is wrong and every time it has gotten worse. They were shocked that a 27 year old white woman in the USA would have as many issues as I do. This could all be hereditary with nothing they can do to help. They did blood work, and took a TON of blood. I might have anemia or a vitamin deficiency. They are trying to rule things out. When my I got home my mom googled everything and I check almost all the boxes for each thing they think I might be low on. We are just waiting on the results to do anything. 

We took Bella my 9 month old SDiT with us. She got sick while we were there and had diarrhea a couple of times on the carpet. She also did not like the elevators which we had to go in many times today. There was also some black shiny tile that we had to walk over 4 times and we had to drag her over it each time. This of course did not make my mom feel like we could cruise with Bella. Thoughts? Due to Covide 19 we have not gotten to go out and work on public access at all so she might just be rusty. I am training her myself. 

4 hours ago, springredheadsdd said:

Roz sorry your cruise got canceled. That sucks especially that it was Hortys last cruise. 

We are still considering booking a cruise for next spring on Carnival out of Galveston TX. My mom will not give me a definite yes or no yet due to everything going on. It will be August at the earliest before we know and book. In the mean time I am doing research. We have our eyes on a few sailings on a couple of ships. If we go we will probably sale on the Vista or the Dream. Any advice/ opinions on those ships?

Went to a Neuro Optimologist today because my vision is getting very bad. Was told that if my vision deteriorates any more, even the slightest, I can not legally drive. I have had my eyes checked every 3-6 months lately trying to figure out what is wrong and every time it has gotten worse. They were shocked that a 27 year old white woman in the USA would have as many issues as I do. This could all be hereditary with nothing they can do to help. They did blood work, and took a TON of blood. I might have anemia or a vitamin deficiency. They are trying to rule things out. When my I got home my mom googled everything and I check almost all the boxes for each thing they think I might be low on. We are just waiting on the results to do anything. 

We took Bella my 9 month old SDiT with us. She got sick while we were there and had diarrhea a couple of times on the carpet. She also did not like the elevators which we had to go in many times today. There was also some black shiny tile that we had to walk over 4 times and we had to drag her over it each time. This of course did not make my mom feel like we could cruise with Bella. Thoughts? Due to Covide 19 we have not gotten to go out and work on public access at all so she might just be rusty. I am training her myself. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your eyes.  I hope that they find something that will allow for all your health issues to find a stable ground.

When Brenda [my first SD was in Training] she became very shy of shiny floors.  We found that when her nails were too long and the hair on the bottom of her paws was also too long they would not allow her paws to grip slippery floors well and she became shy of falling or slipping around.  Once we kept her nails short and clipped the hair on her paws she realized that she could get more leverage on the floor and would walk on them more easily.

Also, be careful about adding or changing foods while training.  It seems that some dogs tummies become very sensitive when they're stressed with training and sometimes can cause diarrhea issues.  Some white rice in her food will help.  Start out with just a little bit, it doesn't take much to make their stools solid again. 

I'm looking at cruising to Alaska for 14 -15 days, L.A./return/L.A.  It seems that Princess is only offering the Sun Princess, starting July, 2021.  The Sun Princess is an old ship, the cabins are small, the ship is small-it only holds about 2,000 passengers.  It has absolutely NO BELLS or WHISTLES.  It's good for cruising through Alaska because it fits everywhere.....but, for my first cruise after this horrific year we're having....I would like some fan-fare and excitement in my life.  I know I'll be ready for a fun and laughter-filled cruise experience!  Maybe it'll be nice to be on an intimate ship with less crowds.  They're offering wonderful OBC's and it may be worth it.   We'll see!  There's lots of time to decide.

17 hours ago, rangeley said:

IMG_20200414_103620.jpg

OMD (Oh my dawg)  Oakland you are my idol!  You are so chill. ❤️

10 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I'm looking at cruising to Alaska for 14 -15 days, L.A./return/L.A.  It seems that Princess is only offering the Sun Princess, starting July, 2021.  The Sun Princess is an old ship, the cabins are small, the ship is small-it only holds about 2,000 passengers.  It has absolutely NO BELLS or WHISTLES.  It's good for cruising through Alaska because it fits everywhere.....but, for my first cruise after this horrific year we're having....I would like some fan-fare and excitement in my life.  I know I'll be ready for a fun and laughter-filled cruise experience!  Maybe it'll be nice to be on an intimate ship with less crowds.  They're offering wonderful OBC's and it may be worth it.   We'll see!  There's lots of time to decide.

Oh my, we love smaller ships.  Only 2000, haha.  I can't remember how big (small) the ships were when we first started cruising, but we have grown to love the smaller ones.  Not too many of them around anymore.  I don't do crowds.  I remember we cruised on the Royal Caribbean ship Nordic Prince.  I thought Keith was going to blow a gasket.  There was no TV in the rooms.  The Crows Nest had 6 bar stools at the bar and I think 3 or 4 tables.  That was it.  You could take the elevator up, but they had a cool stair case on the outside that made it feel like you were climbing up a tree! I remember climbing up there one evening and it was pouring rain.  We were laughing and haulin' butt.  Good Memories, thank you Roz for taking back on this journey!  We actually grew to love the small atmosphere!   

4 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Oh my, we love smaller ships.  Only 2000, haha.  I can't remember how big (small) the ships were when we first started cruising, but we have grown to love the smaller ones.  Not too many of them around anymore.  I don't do crowds.  I remember we cruised on the Royal Caribbean ship Nordic Prince.  I thought Keith was going to blow a gasket.  There was no TV in the rooms.  The Crows Nest had 6 bar stools at the bar and I think 3 or 4 tables.  That was it.  You could take the elevator up, but they had a cool stair case on the outside that made it feel like you were climbing up a tree! I remember climbing up there one evening and it was pouring rain.  We were laughing and haulin' butt.  Good Memories, thank you Roz for taking back on this journey!  We actually grew to love the small atmosphere!   

Nancy, also, there's a guarantee that the ship will be filled with lots of seniors.  As I said, there's nothing to do on board the Sun Princess except lay around, drink, shop and eat.  Hmmmmmmm!  Does sound like my kind of cruise!  😊

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Roz, I’m so sorry your cruise was cancelled even though it was becoming inevitable. It’s great that you are looking ahead at future possibilities. It makes the world feel a little more normal to start imaging the next cruise.

Chris, I'm not a meltdown kind of person......but I do believe I had one today.  I went to go for a solitary walk with Horton and the second I opened the front door, I started to cry.  Horty just looked at me and I couldn't stop......so, back inside we went so I could finish my implosion without the possibility of anyone [besides Horty] seeing me!

I definitely will attempt to go out again, just not right now!  ☹️

• Like 2

I started to have my meltdown yesterday.  Thank you Miss Tish for doing what you are trained to do and keep me from completely going to pieces.  Of course, our April 28 cruise has been cancelled, but we do have 1 scheduled for the beginning of November of this year.  Also, I had scheduled a big celebration for next November for my 65th birthday.  I am bring 11 friends and family with me on that one.  I need to look to the future and hope things go back to my semblance of normal

20190909_115350.jpg

11 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Chris, I'm not a meltdown kind of person......but I do believe I had one today.  I went to go for a solitary walk with Horton and the second I opened the front door, I started to cry.  Horty just looked at me and I couldn't stop......so, back inside we went so I could finish my implosion without the possibility of anyone [besides Horty] seeing me!

I definitely will attempt to go out again, just not right now!  ☹️

Aww Roz, no meltdowns allowed. We haven't been out at all until Saturday when we went to start our cars and they were both dead. Had to call AAA to have them jumped and decided to go get our favorite roast beef sandwich and a dunkin iced coffee. It's nice but then I get home and I go around and wipe everything down like a crazy woman before we eat. We get a package and I open it outside the apt. I know I'm probably over doing it, but with our health issues we can't be to careful. It's wierd to see everyone with masks on. Alot of CCI people are making masks and sent us some. Still alot of stupid people out there gathering and not wearing masks. 😩

IMG_20200418_093653.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kmg365suzyq said:

I started to have my meltdown yesterday.  Thank you Miss Tish for doing what you are trained to do and keep me from completely going to pieces.  Of course, our April 28 cruise has been cancelled, but we do have 1 scheduled for the beginning of November of this year.  Also, I had scheduled a big celebration for next November for my 65th birthday.  I am bring 11 friends and family with me on that one.  I need to look to the future and hope things go back to my semblance of normal

20190909_115350.jpg

Oh Miss Tish! ❤️ She looks so relaxed. 

Oh Ms. Tish you're hanging off your bed!  Silly girl.  I'm glad you are there to help mom get thru the ugly times.

Roz, don't feel bad, I'm on the brink ready to dive in and circle the bowl!  

Cindy, doing the same thing here.  I have a bottle with bleach and water.  Don't get in my way or you will get wiped down too!I

When I brought groceries home from store pick up the other day I sprayed the outside of the bags.  Not thinking the print on the bag was going to run.  Then I sat in the garage, took each item out and wiped them down.  Spray inside of bag then everything back in it to come upstairs.  Keith just cannot get this virus.  Every couple of days we go for a ride, don't get out of the car, just ride.  

There is a family down the road that has a huge metal (art) dinosaur in their side yard.  They decorate him for each holiday.  Very cute idea.  Right now he has a giant mask on so he doesn't t get or pass the virus on.  I will have to take a picture and post it f o r you guys.  I did laugh out loud.  Was nice to laugh for a change.