Most important thing I can tell you all to add to your cruise lists

crissyp

Hi...after reading sooo many cruise packing lists, I experienced something on the 7/5 Crown sailing that we just returned from today, that I would like to pass along to anyone that is sailing.

As we were sitting by the pool listening to the band one afternoon, the Medical center broke in to make a very important announcement. They asked if anyone was a registerd blood donor, and to immediately proceed to the medical center to donate blood to a critical passenger that was on board. Well it was the most disturbing thing I ever heard, especially that both my husband and I, along with my children are blood donors, but did not have our donor cards with us on this trip. I tried to empty my wallet, and bring as little as I could.

The update the following day was that the passenger was now in stable condition and that the response to donate was overwhelming and the family wanted to thank everyone on board that was able to donate.

So, I would just like to say that I will never again travel with out my donor card, and thought this was a valuable item to add to all your cruise packing lists and tips.

Crissy

I think the issue is the card has your blood type on it so they don't have to wait for a typing before using your blood. Although, I would think they would still need to test for HIV, etc but if you have donated recently they would have some assurance that you would be providing clean blood. This is a great thread as I also have my donor cards but don't always carry them. Now this one will go to the top of my packing list.

They specifically stated to only come if you had your donor card, I guess it's because they were looking for 0 positive or 0 negative.

This person that was and maybe still is in crisis, is in my thoughts and prayers since this happened.

We also were out on our last 2 sea days on our way home. I am assuming they could not get any other help and we were done with visiting our ports of calls.

Crissy

Crissy-

Sorry I did not get to meet everyone on the cruise!! I arrived late on 7/5 and then lost track of the time on 7/6!!

I am sooo glad to hear that the person is okay. I was thinking when I heard that announcement that I would have never thought to bring that card as well.

I was hoping someone on our boards would know what happened!!

Jenn

They specifically stated to only come if you had your donor card, I guess it's because they were looking for 0 positive or 0 negative.

This person that was and maybe still is in crisis, is in my thoughts and prayers since this happened.

We also were out on our last 2 sea days on our way home. I am assuming they could not get any other help and we were done with visiting our ports of calls.

Crissy

O- is universal donor and can give to anyone so that's probably what they were looking for so they didnt' have to type the patient. I'm O- and it's always in demand.

I used to donate blood whenever I could. However, now when I go to donate, they won't take it because I have been in certain countries within the past year. I think the hang up was Czech Republic last time. Before that it has been Mexico, Belize, etc. Just about every cruise goes to one of them they don't like. I'm glad they had enough people available to donate.

Tucker in Texas

I'm glad to hear the passenger was ok.

I tried to donate last week and they told me I would not be able to donate until November 1st becaust of my last cruise that took me to Mexico. Unfortunately, I will not be able to donate in November since I am going on another cruise. I'm just glad there are other people out there willing to donate on a regular basis.

I've never carried my blood donor card. I donate blood as often as allowed at my local blood center. Since there is a minimum waiting period of 8 weeks between donations, I normally wouldn't be eligible to give while I'm on a cruise. That is unless it just happens that my waiting period expires during a cruise. If all they need to know is my blood type, it's on my military ID card.

On our last cruise Sapphire in May, we too had a medical emergency and a request for blood was made. The announcement came from the Captain during the night and it was very difficult to get back to sleep. All I could think of was the passenger's dilemma, which appeared to be very serious. Alas, I cannot be a donor but fortunately the turnout was excellent and the condition stabilized.

The Captain also increased our ship's speed so that the passenger could get further care in a land hospital. We never learned of the condition, but were greatful to know that everything possible was done to treat the patient.

O- is universal donor and can give to anyone so that's probably what they were looking for so they didnt' have to type the patient. I'm O- and it's always in demand.

It's always in demand because it is a rare type as well! :) Only approximately 7% of the population has it.

O+ can also donate to all of blood groups but only to those who are positive for the Rh factor as well, which is about 85% of the population. Blood typing is just fascinating. I enjoyed that portion of Anatomy and Physiology! :)

To the OP - Great reminder! I wish I could donate, but an autoimmune disease prevents me from doing so. My fiance donates quite often and I'll remind him to bring his card along.

On our last cruise Sapphire in May, we too had a medical emergency and a request for blood was made.

Wow, I had no idea this was this so common. We had the same announcement made when we were on the Sapphire in December. I heard the passenger was taken off the ship in Malaysia (our next port). The announcement came while we were at a cocktail party and they thanked everyone for donating when they did. I'm glad to see so many people have come to the aid of their fellow passengers in need.

Thank you for bringing this important item to the boards so that all can be aware of the need to carry the donor card. I have never experienced this on a ship but have been aware of several other medical emergencies. One involved a member of my party, and I can only tell you I was very impressed with the medical attention received.

However, I guess I am also a bit curious as to whether or not ships carry any blood products onboard. I know blood products do not last very long, but does anyone know the answer to this question?

I'm O-, and our Red Cross won't take my blood if I've been in Mexico or Belize in the last two years, which I have ever since we've been cruising. I'd like to donate (and did for years), but now they won't let me :( .

I'd like to thank those of you who can donate!

My husband and I are both blood donors. However, we are not O type. I wonder if they would ever want our particular types or only O. Does anyone know???

Yes - I have been on ships where they have asked for other types of blood.

I think the issue is the card has your blood type on it so they don't have to wait for a typing before using your blood.

They would still type donor blood, but they are more likely trying to save the time of typing the blood of every person who would be willing to donate. Typing blood is very simple but they wouldn't want to have to type several hundred volunteers when it would be much more efficient to type just a half-dozen known O types carrying their donor card.

But, thank you to the OP for this reminder....my husband is O+ and I'll ask him to carry his card. He donates regularly and likely wouldn't be able to on a cruise, but it's possible.....

Archived