Poll: Traditional dining vs anytime dining

Hypo

Poll: Traditional fixed dining vs Anytime open dining  

905 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Traditional fixed dining vs Anytime open dining

• Traditional fixed seating dining
    • Anytime open seating dining

A new thread was started today concerning RCCL testing anytime dining.

Which do you prefer?

1. Traditional fixed seating dining

2. Any time open seating dining

Absolutely traditional seating. Changing to personal choice will change the entire atmosphere of the cruising experience. RCI will be sacrificing the elegant and formal level of service that they so pride themselves on now. It would definitely dummy-down the experience for those of us who cruise to feel like Royalty for that one week.

Those who want anytime dining have the personal choice option to dine at the Windjammer. They need to leave the dining room traditional.

I've already dashed off an email to C&A and to Richard Fain to voice my strong objections to this change.

My DH and I spent one night in "Anytime" dining on Princess because of a mistake (theirs) concerning our dining assignment. We thought the service was impersonal, and the meal didn't have the same flow as in traditional seating because of the constant parade of people in and out and everyone being at a different point in their meal.

I agree with DonnaK...anytime dining absolutely changes the cruise experience and atmosphere on a ship. It impacts the traditional diners as well as the anytime diners, so if you haven't experienced it don't be fooled into thinking that if you select traditional you won't notice any changes.

Anytime this issue has been raised in the past, Richard Fain and Adam Goldstein have been quick to state that they have no intention of changing the dining system on RCI ships. They, and I, believe that it is a hallmark of RCI and if others want "anytime" or "freestyle" dining, there are cruiselines out there that offer it. I might be less opposed to offering an anytime dining alternative, if Princess had been able to demonstrate that it can work. However, their inability or refusal to accommodate those of its passengers who request traditional dining, has cured me of that belief.:rolleyes:

Traditional here. I like meeting new people and having the chance to really get to know them. I'm a bit shy in person (I know, I know...you wouldn't guess that here!), so it takes time for me to open up to people. If I had to deal with new people every night, I wouldn't say a word! LOL I also like the fact that we have the same waitstaff who take the time to get to know us and our preferences.

Why is everyone here so against having choices? Couldn't they offer both traditional and fixed so everyone is happy? I don't understand the overly-emotional responses to the thought of flexibility for more people.

That's the problem...I don't think the system makes everybody happy. When the waitlist for traditional dining numbers in the hundreds, the system needs to be looked at.

Absolutely traditional seating. Changing to personal choice will change the entire atmosphere of the cruising experience. RCI will be sacrificing the elegant and formal level of service that they so pride themselves on now.

Having cruised on Regent, which is a luxury line and not mass market like RCI, I don't understand this. We had anytime dining, and it was done very graciously, no formality was sacrificed. This may be a factor of the size of the ship; ours was 700 passengers, and yours may be much larger, which creates more of a logistics problem. But I can assure you that open seating itself does not cause a downgrade in service and overall elegance.

Why is everyone here so against having choices? Couldn't they offer both traditional and fixed so everyone is happy? I don't understand the overly-emotional responses to the thought of flexibility for more people.

You might think that they could offer both and satisfy everyone, but experience with Princess has shown that, at least the way they handle it, it doesn't work. If it did, there would be no long waitlists for traditional dining, because they would adjust the dining room assignments to reflect the preferences of each week's guests, and no long waits in anytime if you choose to eat anytime other than very early or very late, or if they took reservations for anytime dining between 6:30 and 8:00 pm.

You ask for flexibility for more people, while I think that it is Princess that is inflexible.:)

Having cruised on Regent, which is a luxury line and not mass market like RCI, I don't understand this. We had anytime dining, and it was done very graciously, no formality was sacrificed. This may be a factor of the size of the ship; ours was 700 passengers, and yours may be much larger, which creates more of a logistics problem. But I can assure you that open seating itself does not cause a downgrade in service and overall elegance.
It caused a very significant downgrade in service and ambiance on Princess and NCL.Waiting for a table and given a beeper to respond,being hurried thru dinner, is not my idea of fine dining.

Maybe not on an upscale line line Regent, but on mass-market lines and on large ships, having the choice definitely makes a negative impact on those who prefer traditional.

RCI does offer anytime dining: it's called Windjammer.

A few months ago I was on the Grand Princess and we decided to try the anytime dining. That was the worst mistake me made on this cruise. While we never had to wait longer than 10 minutes. We did not like the attitudes of the waitstaff. On one night when we were celebrating out anniversary we asked for a table for 2 and the maitre de actually rolled his eyes. The waitstaff constantly seemed in a hurry and seemed to just want to rush people through. I even joked with my DH once that maybe they were not allowed to smile. The good part was that we enjoyed all of our table mates. I wish that I had chosen the traditional dining so that I could compare Princess with Royal Caribbean a bit better. This was my first Princess and it really had me missing Royal.

Because it already doesn't work that way on Princess and NCL.No comparison.

Royal Caribbean definatly needs to keep Traditional dining. go on NCL if you want anytime dining. That's why i love rccl, i like the fact that you eat with the same waiters and people every night, with the same table and time. It wouldn't work with people in and out of the dining room, and everybody at a different point in their meal.

PLEASE...spare us...OF COURSE anytime dining works on REGENT...it also works in THE QUEENS GRILL onboard QE II and QM 2!!! LOL!!! You get what you pay for. IT DOES NOT WORK on PRINCESS or NCL!!! You will notice that most of the people who are advocating ANYTIME DINING are recent cruisers and have very little or no experience compared to long time cruisers. The ANYTIME experience is just a "dumbing down" of what the real cruise experience should be. It is impersonal and lackadaisical, to say the least. There is a world of difference between open seating on a PREMIUM LINE and ANYTIME DINING on a MASS MARKET LINE.

"GIVE ME TRADITIONAL DINING OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!":D

For those who wish to try free-style, also try NCL. I do not care to spend my vacation time standing in line or waiting for a pager to go off on every night of the cruise when there are other activities to enjoy. The number of reasons to sail RCL are dwindling already, and this would be the last straw.

It caused a very significant downgrade in service and ambiance on Princess and NCL.Waiting for a table and given a beeper to respond,being hurried thru dinner, is not my idea of fine dining.

I'd certainly agree with that. So it sounds as though the # of passengers is the driver.

PLEASE...spare us...OF COURSE anytime dining works on REGENT...it also works in THE QUEENS GRILL onboard QE II and QM 2!!! LOL!!! You get what you pay for. IT DOES NOT WORK on PRINCESS or NCL!!! You will notice that most of the people who are advocating ANYTIME DINING are recent cruisers and have very little or no experience compared to long time cruisers. The ANYTIME experience is just a "dumbing down" of what the real cruise experience should be. It is impersonal and lackadaisical, to say the least. There is a world of difference between open seating on a PREMIUM LINE and ANYTIME DINING on a MASS MARKET LINE.

"GIVE ME TRADITIONAL DINING OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!":D

Then thank you for the reminder of why we chose the line we did, and the disincentive to try others. ;)

Archived