Poll: Traditional dining vs anytime dining

Hypo

Poll: Traditional fixed dining vs Anytime open dining  

905 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Traditional fixed dining vs Anytime open dining

• Traditional fixed seating dining
    • Anytime open seating dining

I love open Dining. I you do some reasearch you will see that the preminium lines such as Silversea, Seabourn or Cunard Grill class all have open seating. Its just the mass market lines that have seatings.

Yes, yes, they have open seating AND they have enough seating capacity to do a single seating if they wished (or close to it). On the premium ships you don't have lines and long waits, especially after a significant port of call, when the majority of passengers arrive for dinner at the same time.

This is certainly not the case with freestyle or anytime dining on the mass market lines. It can be quite awful.

What I dread is sailing in the future, wishing to choose the traditional dining, and either having it be not available or getting bumped.

*shudder*

Leslie

I love open Dining. I you do some reasearch you will see that the preminium lines such as Silversea, Seabourn or Cunard Grill class all have open seating. Its just the mass market lines that have seatings.

LIKE I TOLD LINDA: Open seating works fine on the Premium lines...it works in the Queens Grill and the Princess Grills onboard QE II and QM 2. There is a huge difference between Open Seating on the Premium Lines and Anytime Dining onboard the Mass Market Lines!!! You get what you pay for and with the Mass Market Lines all you get is indifference, lackluster service or worse. It normally takes us at least 2 or 3 tries before we can find a decent wait team on Princess...and even then you end up eating at 8:30 every night because everyone else wants those same waiters. Anytime Dining is just another way to dumb down cruising. It detracts from what the cruise experience should be. The waitstaff in traditional dining rooms have to be much sharper than the Anytime waitstaff. It is just logical that traditional waitstaff will try to please and maintain a level of professionalism when tips are on the line. My experiences with Anytime Dining have proven to me that Mass Market Lines are just mediocre. RCI table service is heads and tails above NCL and Princess...in my book...there is no comparison.

LIKE I TOLD LINDA: Open seating works fine on the Premium lines...it works in the Queens Grill and the Princess Grills onboard QE II and QM 2. There is a huge difference between Open Seating on the Premium Lines and Anytime Dining onboard the Mass Market Lines!!! You get what you pay for and with the Mass Market Lines all you get is indifference, lackluster service or worse. It normally takes us at least 2 or 3 tries before we can find a decent wait team on Princess...and even then you end up eating at 8:30 every night because everyone else wants those same waiters. Anytime Dining is just another way to dumb down cruising. It detracts from what the cruise experience should be. The waitstaff in traditional dining rooms have to be much sharper than the Anytime waitstaff. It is just logical that traditional waitstaff will try to please and maintain a level of professionalism when tips are on the line. My experiences with Anytime Dining have proven to me that Mass Market Lines are just mediocre. RCI table service is heads and tails above NCL and Princess...in my book...there is no comparison.
Very well put. The OP is talking apples and oranges when comparing premium lines or the smaller dining rooms on Cunard with a 3,000-4,000 + megaship. We stopped cruising with Princess after they changed to anytime dinng. Service was poor and we were in traditional. We have been exclusively RCCL since.

LIKE I TOLD LINDA: Open seating works fine on the Premium lines...it works in the Queens Grill and the Princess Grills onboard QE II and QM 2. There is a huge difference between Open Seating on the Premium Lines and Anytime Dining onboard the Mass Market Lines!!! You get what you pay for and with the Mass Market Lines all you get is indifference, lackluster service or worse.

That begs the question of why you take the mass market lines, then. The price differential can't be huge enough to make "indifference, lackluster service, or worse" worth it! :( I would not take a cruise that someone described in such terms.

Having cruised on Regent, which is a luxury line and not mass market like RCI, I don't understand this. We had anytime dining, and it was done very graciously, no formality was sacrificed. This may be a factor of the size of the ship; ours was 700 passengers, and yours may be much larger, which creates more of a logistics problem. But I can assure you that open seating itself does not cause a downgrade in service and overall elegance.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The logistical problems of letting 1,500+ passengers feel like they're eating "any time" are enormous. They end up wasting time plotting strategy for which restaurants they want, trying to make reservations (sometimes without success), and waiting in line to be seated, only to have mediocre meals with so-so service in too many cases. And they PAY EXTRA for it in most venues. Due to relentless cruise line marketing pitches, some cruisers now believe this is "freer" than traditional dining. Go figure. :confused:

The only "freedom" is that they can dress down every night and avoid sitting with fellow passengers with whom they might be forced to be civil for an hour or two.

I sincerely hope RCI sticks with the dining formula that has worked just fine since the beginning of cruising.

Traditional - without a doubt. I like the more traditional feel. I love getting to know tablemates. My next cruise will be the first time I miss dinner in the dining room due to late arrivals in some stops. I really look forward to the traditional cruising dinner style.

Can someone explain to me why it is bullying to state that one prefers traditional dining and hopes that RCI doesn't change its system but it isn't bullying for someone to insist that RCI change its system because it better suits them or because other lines use a different system? Having assigned seating is too regimented, but letting the dining room decide whether or not you can reserve a table for the time you desire or restricting the times when they will accept reservations is somehow more liberating? Shall we demand that the shows be scheduled according to our personal time schedules, the arrival and departure times at our ports of call be adjusted to reflect our desires. The bars open and close only when we decide that they should?:rolleyes:

Where some people see regimentation, others see structure.

You would think with almost 72% wanting it to stay the same (ok folks I know it isn't scientific).......the windjammer would have plenty of room:rolleyes:

Can someone explain to me why it is bullying to state that one prefers traditional dining and hopes that RCI doesn't change its system but it isn't bullying for someone to insist that RCI change its system because it better suits them or because other lines use a different system? Having assigned seating is too regimented, but letting the dining room decide whether or not you can reserve a table for the time you desire or restricting the times when they will accept reservations is somehow more liberating? Shall we demand that the shows be scheduled according to our personal time schedules, the arrival and departure times at our ports of call be adjusted to reflect our desires. The bars open and close only when we decide that they should?:rolleyes:

You go Bill!!

And maybe the Endeaver name is for Genesis :rolleyes: .

And less stress!!! It's nice to know your table is waiting and your shows are structered around your dinner seating.

Maybe some of the posters are taking NCL's TV ads a little bit to heart.

Ok...here's my opinion.... If you had asked me before I experienced Anytime Dining on the Caribbean Princess I would have said "Traditional!!!" In fact, we were more than disappointed when we were told upon booking the cruise that the traditional seating dining room was filled, so Anytime Dining was our only option. As it turned out, our experience was a delightful one! The first night we didn't like the dining room or wait staff, so on the second night we requested a table in the other dining room. It was perfect. That night we booked our table for the rest of the week. We had the same wait staff every night and we never waited for our 7:00 seating time. So, now if I had to choose now, I'd take Anytime Dining. I think you have to try it before you know how you feel.

Ok...here's my opinion.... If you had asked me before I experienced Anytime Dining on the Caribbean Princess I would have said "Traditional!!!" In fact, we were more than disappointed when we were told upon booking the cruise that the traditional seating dining room was filled, so Anytime Dining was our only option. As it turned out, our experience was a delightful one! The first night we didn't like the dining room or wait staff, so on the second night we requested a table in the other dining room. It was perfect. That night we booked our table for the rest of the week. We had the same wait staff every night and we never waited for our 7:00 seating time. So, now if I had to choose now, I'd take Anytime Dining. I think you have to try it before you know how you feel.

I did try it.........in fact on the Caribbean Princess..........worst experience we have EVER had in dining........now I'm not saying yours wasn't great.......but it does show you how the same ship can have differing results for different sailings........our service was non existant.......even with the same staff. I'm glad it worked out for you..........but I have tried it..........on the same ship........and sure didn't like it.

The first night we didn't like the dining room or wait staff, so on the second night we requested a table in the other dining room. It was perfect. That night we booked our table for the rest of the week. We had the same wait staff every night and we never waited for our 7:00 seating time. So, now if I had to choose now, I'd take Anytime Dining. I think you have to try it before you know how you feel.

That sounds like traditional to me, with early seating, letting you finish in time for the evening show. And don't tell me you chose your waiter. On RCI if you want to change your table, no problem. Some tablemates of ours on our last cruise on RCI bumped into a couple they knew from college so switched to their table. They explained why they were switching and no hard feelings.

The first night we didn't like the dining room or wait staff, so on the second night we requested a table in the other dining room. It was perfect. That night we booked our table for the rest of the week. We had the same wait staff every night and we never waited for our 7:00 seating time. So, now if I had to choose now, I'd take Anytime Dining. I think you have to try it before you know how you feel.

That sounds like traditional to me, with early seating, letting you finish in time for the evening show. And don't tell me you chose your waiter. On RCI if you want to change your table, no problem. Some tablemates of ours on our last cruise on RCI bumped into a couple they knew from college so switched to their table. They explained why they were switching and no hard feelings.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to wait for a table. :eek: I dread doing it wile not on vacation. Fixed traditional dining is the reason we cruise with RCI.

I have to laugh when I see the other cruiselines commercials depicting people being told when and how to dine. This is so far from the truth. I think the majority of cruisers enjoy fixed dining times especially for the fact that there is no waiting for a table and consistent service.

I find traditional dining to be more relaxing. Our world is so fast paced and tense. The traditional dining allows us to slow down and work within a schedule. I enjoy returning to my room at a set time each day to get ready for a lovely evening beginning with my dining experience. I enjoy the new friends from my table and the leisurely pace it sets.

Open dining (or freestyle) is actually deceptive. I have witnessed it (see previous post). You may be able to return to your cabin to get ready for dinner at your own timing, however, it was not my experience to see people seated for dinner at their own timing. Long wait times were the order of the day. The absence of large tables and the constancy of tablemates and servers that that brings is sorely missed. Free style provides for a vastly different dining experience (IMHO- one that is lacking).

If one would like open dining, there is the Windjammer, room service, Chops and Portofino.

Sometimes, old traditional customs are the best. I know that many of us are loyal to RCI for the services they offer us (e.g. traditional dining, more recreation, excellent children's programs, etc.). If we wanted what the other cruise lines are offering, then we would be on those ships.

One last thought. RCI appears to be the only line that does not discount their rates. They have been able to do this and maintain their customer base in spite of other lines providing similar cruises at cheaper rates. If RCI can command the better rates, why would they want to change to conform with their less successful competitors. If it ain't broke....

Although I've never sailed on a ship that really promoted freestyle dining, I can say that I like RCCL's traditional fixed dining. We enjoy getting to know our wait staff and table mates, we enjoy going to the same table each night, and not wondering when and where to meet friends for dinner. For those that like the flexibility of freestyle, most RCCL ships offer that, too, in the form of specialty restaurants, the Windjammer, and on the larger/newer ships, Johnny Rockets, pizza stands, and even room service.

I find traditional dining to be more relaxing. Our world is so fast paced and tense. The traditional dining allows us to slow down and work within a schedule. I enjoy returning to my room at a set time each day to get ready for a lovely evening beginning with my dining experience. I enjoy the new friends from my table and the leisurely pace it sets.

Open dining (or freestyle) is actually deceptive. I have witnessed it (see previous post). You may be able to return to your cabin to get ready for dinner at your own timing, however, it was not my experience to see people seated for dinner at their own timing. Long wait times were the order of the day. The absence of large tables and the constancy of tablemates and servers that that brings is sorely missed. Free style provides for a vastly different dining experience (IMHO- one that is lacking).

If one would like open dining, there is the Windjammer, room service, Chops and Portofino.

Sometimes, old traditional customs are the best. I know that many of us are loyal to RCI for the services they offer us (e.g. traditional dining, more recreation, excellent children's programs, etc.). If we wanted what the other cruise lines are offering, then we would be on those ships.

One last thought. RCI appears to be the only line that does not discount their rates. They have been able to do this and maintain their customer base in spite of other lines providing similar cruises at cheaper rates. If RCI can command the better rates, why would they want to change to conform with their less successful competitors. If it ain't broke....

Good points -- hope you communicate them to RCI directly (cruisecomments@rccl.com)

Archived