Setting luggage out on Final Night

jt58203

Eventually I'll be a first time cruiser. Just wondering how people feel about setting their luggage out the night before. Do you lock them up, use those plastic tie wrap thingies, or just not worry about it?

Just not worry about it. Maybe we've been lucky, but we've never had a single issue. And, of course, we keep all of our valuables in our carry ons. I've read on these boards about people who did have something missing from a bag (although rarely), but I always wonder about it. I've seen those cages of suitcases down on Deck 2 or 3 or whatever...the suitcases are packed in the cages and the cages are packed in the hallways...not exactly condusive to pilfering.

Definitely secure them in some way. Whether it be with locks or zip ties. We have never once put our luggage out without it being secured, and also never had a problem. Also, make sure you take a carry on for valueables and last minute items. Never put anything like jewelry, cameras, etc in your bags for carriage by the cruise line or airline.

In 18 cruises over the past 5 years we've never had anything missing from our luggage.

We do use the plastic tie strips to lock our luggage when we set it out the night before disembarkation as we are often heading for an airport for our trip home.

Anything of great value including jewelry, personal items or valued souvenirs are taken off the ship in our carry-on luggage.

But then our luggage looks so beat up from all the cruises we've been on that most people wouldn't dream there was anything in it that they would want.:D

Dianne

In 18 cruises over the past 5 years we've never had anything missing from our luggage.

We do use the plastic tie strips to lock our luggage when we set it out the night before disembarkation as we are often heading for an airport for our trip home.

Anything of great value including jewelry, personal items or valued souvenirs are taken off the ship in our carry-on luggage.

But then our luggage looks so beat up from all the cruises we've been on that most people wouldn't dream there was anything in it that they would want.:D

Dianne

Dianne, I feel the same....none of our luggage matches, and they all look the worse for wear. We've never had a problem.

Dianne, I feel the same....none of our luggage matches, and they all look the worse for wear. We've never had a problem.

A few years ago I started hand painting large flowers on the the outside of our luggage with acrylic paint. I'm no artist and our bags stand out like a sore thumb in the luggage claim area at cruiselines as well as the airport. Everytime we have to replace a piece of luggage we buy a different brand or color and I paint another design on the outside.

So far it's worked.

Dianne

I have never locked my luggage on a cruise or airplane trip and never had anything missing (except the few items I have left in hotel rooms - smile). My theory is that basically people are honest and even if there are a few thieves the odds are so low that they would pick your suitcase to loot and not much in there worth stealing anyway (dirty laundry, wet bathing suit, etc) that there is no need to worry about it.

I am not sure if it was a cruiseship employees or a company who handled our luggage in the airport, but 1/4 of our good clothes were gone from 1 suitcase, which of course wasn't locked. I couldn't point fingers at airport or cruiseline specificaly so basically we got nothing for our loss. ALways locking our luggage now!!!:mad:

I'm over 50; been traveling overseas/around the USA on airplanes/boats/trains/buses and automobiles........never, never has anything gone missing from our luggage and, if our luggage could talk, it would tell some pretty harrowing stories of where its been.

I tie a huge bow (the most colorfull ribbon you can find) around both handles (side and top)...the second we walk into the luggage area...I can spot our luggage from the entrance...it's a real time saver! ;)

I have never locked my luggage on a cruise or airplane trip and never had anything missing (except the few items I have left in hotel rooms - smile). My theory is that basically people are honest and even if there are a few thieves the odds are so low that they would pick your suitcase to loot and not much in there worth stealing anyway (dirty laundry, wet bathing suit, etc) that there is no need to worry about it.

That is a GREAT attitude to have! And very optomistic that in these days and times you would feel that way. The dishonest out number the honest 2 to 1 when it comes to luggage whether through the cruise line or air line.

I tend to agree with the zip tie method when putting our bags out the night before. We use them to keep the bags from opening and they're easily replaceable if someone just "has to get in" to our bags. So far, so good.

Shar

A few years ago I started hand painting large flowers on the the outside of our luggage with acrylic paint. I'm no artist and our bags stand out like a sore thumb in the luggage claim area at cruiselines as well as the airport. Everytime we have to replace a piece of luggage we buy a different brand or color and I paint another design on the outside.

So far it's worked.

Dianne

Those were your bags???? :eek: :eek: :D :D

That is a GREAT attitude to have! And very optomistic that in these days and times you would feel that way. The dishonest out number the honest 2 to 1 when it comes to luggage whether through the cruise line or air line.

I travel about twice a month by plane and always check my luggage and have never locked it and have never lost anything. If 2 of 3 persons who handle luggage are thieves, your statistics, then 100 percent of the time something would be stolen as probably 5-10 people handle your suitcase on every time you check it. I have seen the luggage handlers on the cruise ships, they handle 1000's of suitcases on turnover day, when would they have time to rummage through your luggage and steal items? Besides if someone wants my dirty underwear or even my 10 year old suit, I would give it to them. Of course some common sense comes into play, I wouldn't put an IPOD, laptop, etc in a suitcase and mark it "Laptop inside, please handle with care".

I have been on about 20 cruises over the last 20 years, and separately fly at least once a year (sometime more) and never felt the need to "lock" my luggage . I never back valuables in my bags. If someone wants to steal my Docker's and polo shirts, a zip lock or a TSA lock won't really deter them.

Can someone please tell me where I can obtain those zip ties that I read about so often. I do use a carry on with our meds, jewlery and anything I deem important. I do also use TSA approved locks and a luggage strap. Even with using the TSA locks we have had our luggage gone through at the airport after we have check it in. The luggage was not zipped closed all the way when we retrieved it. Thank you for all your help.

Can someone please tell me where I can obtain those zip ties that I read about so often.

The zip ties are "cable ties" easily found in the electrical department of home improvement stores like Lowe's or Home Depot. Remember to store something in your outer pockets on the suitcase that you can use to cut those ties (on the way to the ship). That's not as big of a problem when you are headed home... unless you have an extended stay with another hotel night.

zipties.jpg.4e0128dc4d399e501680bc4b50d06e9b.jpg

I have always put the luggage out, never thought about locking it, and have never lost anything.

Funnily enough I believe that the majority of ships baggage handlers are honest and way too busy to want to rifle through bags and risk losing their jobs. It even feels good to trust human nature (and spend money on baggage insurance)

I have been on over 60 cruises and never had a problem. I have always, however, locked my luggage. Since 911 I have used TSA locks and only once I had a note inside my bag that it had been opened. It actually looked neater than when I had packed it.

Barbara

Don't put anything out in the hallway of any value. If it's just dirty clothes you don't have to worry about it. We carry off anything we have purchased in the islands, including alcohol.

I read on the boards a few weeks about how upset someone was that they put their alcohol out with their luggage and it was stolen, well.....LOL, someone on their deck must have had a big party on the last night.

Archived