Norm and I are Ol' conchs from Key West

snelsonbrown

Hello there,

Norm and I are both born and were raised in Key West and being that Norm was a postman there for 40 years and we both are 5 generation conchs,

is there anything special you would like to know or can we help?

Norm and I both know what it was to be raised on an island that was 150 miles from the mainland, when it really was a paradise and that a president of the United States could take a early walk without no bodyguards and have locals walk with him (my dad was one of those since he knew so much of the history of KW) where a very famous writer lived just a few blocks from us and his wife Pauline was taught to read, write and speak Spanish for the cost of 25 cents a lesson. (lot of money in the 30's). My grandfather started the San Carlos school on Duval Street so that the children would not forget their hertiage. I remember when famous movie stars would ride the local bus and not be bothered. So if we can help, just ask.

Always

Shirley and Norm

now living in Cape Canaveral

but heart will always be in Key West

So sad to see you are no longer here. If you know where to look, there is still some of that charm left in Key West. Unfortunately, the developers (you know which local families I'm talking about) are ruining it.

So sad to see you are no longer here. If you know where to look, there is still some of that charm left in Key West. Unfortunately, the developers (you know which local families I'm talking about) are ruining it.

You got that right in fact it wouldn't surprise me to see the name of Key West changed to Spotswift Key since they own almost 100% of our hometown.

I see you are from Summerland Key - I remember in the 30's and 40's, there wasn't much there except a lot of charm and wildlife.

thanks and believe me, Norm and I will always be "homesick" for the little island that we grew up in.

Always

Shirley

DH and I will be visiting KW for the first time in Nov. We are so excited about visiting you home. This is one of the places I have always wanted to see. Plan on walking around on our own. If you could just tell me what to see other then the tourist trap things. We do have a few places in mind that we want to see. Hemmingway House, Little white house and Kino sandals. Other than that we are open for suggestions.

Thank Your for your help.

Judi :)

DH and I will be visiting KW for the first time in Nov. We are so excited about visiting you home. This is one of the places I have always wanted to see. Plan on walking around on our own. If you could just tell me what to see other then the tourist trap things. We do have a few places in mind that we want to see. Hemmingway House, Little white house and Kino sandals. Other than that we are open for suggestions.

Thank Your for your help.

Hello Judi,

First are you driving down or will you be on a limited cruise time?

The Island is only a 2X4 island so it is easy to get around in and in November the weather won't be so warm, but you have to remember that the island is surround by the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico so the humidity is very high. My spanish grandfather and grandmother were very involved with the Hemingway's in fact they taught Pauline how to read, write and speak Spanish for a total of 25 cents a lesson - I have never been to Mr. Hemingway's house until last year - it took me 68 years to get the nerve to do so and the reason being is that their home had the only wrought iron fence in Key West and as kids, we found that running a stick accross the fence made a funny noise, needless to say this upset Mr. Hemingway and from that day forward, he always kept a bag of rocks by the side of his front door to throw at us kids - since he and my dad were friends, he did apologize, but I can still see him in his long underwears with those rocks in his hand. The place is beautiful and so calming and I can see where he could write the stories that he did from there - he faced the lighthouse when it wasn't "gated" and could hear the music from the latinos who claimed Whitehead Street as part of the island which also included the Bahamians that had their homes in Bahama Village. The cats there are not the original 6 toed cats since the cats would be netured or spayed and of course never reproduced, but there are cats there that are quite old. The city tried to make the museum give up the cats, but they are part of what Mr. Hemingway was about. The Little White house is going through renovation which I am so glad for we had a president that felt safe enough to take his morning walks without bodyguard early in the morning - my dad was one of the locals that would walk with "Uncle Harry" for my dad knew so much on the history of Key West. Yep it really was an island of paradise and for me or Norm to even try to tell or explain what it was growing up in Key West, would be hard to imagine. All of our food came from the ocean, gulf or our fruit trees -

Anyhow there is a tour of the Key West cemetery and really worth seeing it for it has so much history - this is there Elena the young girl that died of TB and the dr that was treating her stole her body a number of times and then finally in the early 40's, she was reburied, but only family know where she is but they will take you by the site where her body once was and even though it has been removed, you can still hear the stories. There is Mrs. B.P. Roberts who was ALWAYS sick with something and on her headstone she had put "I told you I was sick" and her sister has "I can just checking my eyes for leaks" - we had a number of characters - Go to Crabby Dicks on Duval Street for this a place where a lot of the locals go for a drink and talk about the old days and they really are super nice folks who would love to talk about when KW really was a paradise. Kino sandels are great and while there when you come out, there is a place called Touch of Gold - ask for Vinny or his brother Gary and just tell them you have a friend name Shirley from the Perfect Gift and they will sell to you the same as I would pay. conch prices.

Anyhow Norm and I will be going "home" in a couple of weeks and I will be more than happy to pick you up some info - write me at snelsonbrown@aol.com OK?

always

Shirley and Norm

2 ol' conchs :-)

We are arriving via cruising on 8/28. I didnt find RCCL excursions too exciting, I figured hubby and I would just be walking around.. and I hear we HAVE to try the chocolate covered key lime pie!?! Are we docking at at pier or tendering in? And if we are docking, is there stuff to do nearby? This is our first cruise and sooo afraid of getting left behind!

The Enchantment ties up at Pier B, also known as the Westin (formerly Hilton) Dock. There is a Blond Giraffe on Green St next to Capt Tony's. From the ship, walk one block down Whitehead St and turn left on Green. Definately, try the pie dipped in chocolate on a stick.

We are arriving via cruising on 8/28. I didnt find RCCL excursions too exciting, I figured hubby and I would just be walking around.. and I hear we HAVE to try the chocolate covered key lime pie!?! Are we docking at at pier or tendering in? And if we are docking, is there stuff to do nearby? This is our first cruise and sooo afraid of getting left behind!

With Key West such a small island, can I ask as to why you would pay anyone for excursions when you can do the same thing, but on your own - believe me, you can NOT get lost in Key West so save your money, do some research and in fact Aquahound is not far from KW so he will know a lot more about what is going on in KW than myself.

Anyhow you will enjoy the island even if it has more cement than Rinker's.

always

Shirley

[quote=snelsonbrown;11003362]You got that right in fact it wouldn't surprise me to see the name of Key West changed to Spotswift Key since they own almost 100% of our hometown.

And the remainder of the Keys are being renamed Cay Club Keys:p

Shirley

Thank your for lovely reply. A friend at work was just on a cruise that stopped in KW. She brought me back a map and some other information. We will also be on a cruise( RCCL- Jewel of the Sea). We will be in KW on Nov.12. I think we will just wonder around and take in all the sights and everything else KW has to offer.

Thank You again.

We will be going to key west for the third time in March on the Majesty of the Seas and we would like to take a tour of the old fort. Is this possible? Also is it walkable from the westin pier? I much prefer just walking right off the ship and exploring on foot.

thanks

Shirley, that's so nice of you to share your wisdom and love of Key West. I was only there once (on a ship) and am going again in September (on a ship). This time I'll have my 2-year old grandson with us, so I was thinking of perhaps the conch train, but not sure.

Last time I walked around - what do you think is good for a 2-year old while his parents are doing the bar thing?

Is the Southernmost Point worth the walk?

Funny about Hemingway. What a character ...

What wonderful memories you and Norm have. Why did you leave?

We will be going to key west for the third time in March on the Majesty of the Seas and we would like to take a tour of the old fort. Is this possible? Also is it walkable from the westin pier? I much prefer just walking right off the ship and exploring on foot.

thanks

It's about a 10 minute walk from the pier, down Whitehead maybe 2 or 3 blocks, then through the Truman Annex.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/forttaylor/

Pjk

I posted this question on another thread but maybe you all can help me. My niece and I would love to tour the island by jet ski. I found three companies that offer a tour. Hydro-thunder, key west water sports and island water sports. Could any of you tell me if one is better then the other. Or more important which one would you take and why.

This is so hard to dicide, all help would be greatly appricated(sp).

Thanks

Laura

I posted this question on another thread but maybe you all can help me. My niece and I would love to tour the island by jet ski. I found three companies that offer a tour. Hydro-thunder, key west water sports and island water sports. Could any of you tell me if one is better then the other. Or more important which one would you take and why.

This is so hard to dicide, all help would be greatly appricated(sp).

It's 1/3 easier. Key West Water Sports is based at the Wyndham Casa Marina which is on the other side of the island. You'd have to take a cab there; $7.50 pp to and $7.50 pp back.

Island Watersports is $135.00 for two people for an island tour and is located on Front Street which would put it just at or just past the Hyatt.

Hydro-Thunder is based at the Ocean Key Resort which is a little closer to the docks but not close enough to swing the decision. I cannot find rates or the length of the tour. (Is it on their web page?)

If the rates and times are similar either of these look OK. Several people on TA have taken these tours and everyone had a good time.

hth

Pjk

We are arriving on Majesty of the Seas in Nov. Would love to see the cemetery - is it easy to walk to??

The main entracne is at the corner of Margaret and Angelina. Find Duval and make a right (south). Angelina is seven blocks south where you turn left. Angelina is 3 or 4 blocks away.

http://www.keywest.com/cemetery.html

Pjk

I really enjoyed Key West although we weren't there for long enough on our cruise stop. Isn't that always the way? We chose the pub crawl for the excursion but then cut out early so we'd have time to ride the train. We are flying down in October for a week but staying in Islamorada. That was the timeshare that happened to be available and we'll be renting a car so we can spend some time in all of the Keys. Do you have any recommendations as to where we should try to park in Key West to walk around? I'm assuming there must be parking garages but I have heard that parking there can be a problem. We want to take the trolley this time and get off at every stop, and will have to go back to the Lazy Gecko for their frozen mudslide:) Other than that we really don't have any plans yet. I guess I need to start doing some research, but your comments have already given me a good place to start. Thanks, Brenda

Starskyfan There is a city parking garage located near the seaport at the corner of Grinell and Eaton I believe. Its $14/day. parking is free on the side streets if you can find it. We are going this weekend but taking the Keywest express boat from Ft Meyers so no car worries. Enjoy

Archived