Trying to discourage kids in the main dining room?

Travelitis

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but is Princess hoping to tactfully discourage families dining in the main dining room? Now I know there are some very ill-behaved kids, and parents want some time on their own. I can see this being very nice if you have younger children, so I'm not complaining. I want my kids to be welcome in the dining room, and have no intention of watching them eat before we eat. (They do know how to behave and have better table manners than many adults we know.)

Anytime Dining is recommended for families who want to dine together, so children may fully participate in the evening youth activities (starting at 7 p.m.).

The dining alternatives onboard our ships allow parents the freedom to spend time with their children while they eat an early dinner at the pizzeria, in the 24-hour restaurant offering a special children's menu, in their stateroom with 24-hour room service, or in one of our many alternative dining locations. After taking their children to the supervised Youth and Teen Centers, parents can enjoy dining on their own in the elegant dining rooms.

You are reading it wrong.. Anytime dining is in one of the main dining rooms and has the same menu as Traditional. The only difference is that you can eat anytime between 5:30 and 10:00

this is the main reason i like anytime dining. The kids (mine are teens) dont miss anything and we still get to eat as a family. This is not always possible at home so this is one rule we keep. we all eat together. Then we have the whole evening free as a couple. It works well for all of us.

Unfortunately princess have taken this option off the sun princess when she comes to australia. we have opted for early but would change to anytime if that did eventuate

I don't think Princess is necessarily trying to discourage kids in the dining room. Obviously they're pointing out one option is for you to have your kids eat early and then dine without them. But I think they're also pointing out that with Anytime Dining you can eat in the dining room, with your kids, earlier than you can with traditional dining. For example, on our Diamond Princess cruise, the Anytime Dining rooms opened at 5:30 pm, whereas the Early Traditional is more like 6:15 or 6:30 pm. Therefore, if your kids don't want to miss a moment of the fun filled acitivities in the Fun Zone, you can all eat early and be done in time.

Our kids were 6 and 10 on our Diamond Princess cruise. They ate with us in the dining room, and we also took both of them to Sterling Steakhouse. We took the 10 year old to Sabatinis, but not the 6 year old because we knew she wouldn't like the food or the slower pace. We had no problems and our kids were treated very graciously by the staff.

--Junglejane

I don't think Princess is necessarily trying to discourage kids in the dining room. Obviously they're pointing out one option is for you to have your kids eat early and then dine without them. But I think they're also pointing out that with Anytime Dining you can eat in the dining room, with your kids, earlier than you can with traditional dining. For example, on our Diamond Princess cruise, the Anytime Dining rooms opened at 5:30 pm, whereas the Early Traditional is more like 6:15 or 6:30 pm. Therefore, if your kids don't want to miss a moment of the fun filled acitivities in the Fun Zone, you can all eat early and be done in time.

Our kids were 6 and 10 on our Diamond Princess cruise. They ate with us in the dining room, and we also took both of them to Sterling Steakhouse. We took the 10 year old to Sabatinis, but not the 6 year old because we knew she wouldn't like the food or the slower pace. We had no problems and our kids were treated very graciously by the staff.

--Junglejane

I think this is exactly what Princess means with their statement. OP, I think you are reading the statement wrong. You have the option of eating as a family or of overseeing the kids eating earlier and you and your spouse enjoying a later dinner if you want.

Another thought, feed the kids early and eat with them. then eat again later. A good excuse to eat twice!!! Actually, we do the any time dining so we can eat in the dining room with the kids at 5:30. Then they can go to the kids activities while we go to the early shows, which are less crowded. My kids, like yours, have better manners than many adults Ive seen. I dont want them missing out on the wonderful experience of cruise dining either.

I think they are definitley trying to give options to keep the kids out of the dining room. Many kids hate the long deawn out dinners. I have teens and they would much rather just grab a quick bite and do the activities.

Are the rules different on Diamond Princess?. I thought the rules for the specialty restaurants were 12 and up. I would be upset to have your 6 year old seated next to me. I use the specialty restaurants for romantic time away from my kids, and I certainly do not want anyone elses children either, no matter what little angels you think they are.:(

I have only been on one Princess cruise and did not see many children. I did look and see that Princess puts no age restriction on their restaurants. (sorry junglejane) We own a fine dining restaurant and it is few and far between that I see young children enjoying a long meal. Why not let the young kids play in the kids club rather than subjecting them to a long meal? They can learn table manners at any restaurant.

We first sailed with my kids when they were 11,15 & 16 and they loved going to the dining roon and enjoying meals, that we could not normally afford to take them to, at home. I have had some unenjoyable meals with crying babies & toddlers next to me on the ship. OP, I do think they were just giving you options and not instructions.

In my experience, children are welcome and treated very well in the DRs -- they have the option of ordering off the children's menu or the regular menu, and the waiters are usually very attentive. I think it is a great feature on Princess that parents have so many options for their kids --- eating as a family, feeding the kids first at the buffet or grill or pizzeria and then eating as a couple, and 2 dinners each week with their new friends in the kids' clubs. Many posters have written that they made different choices on different nights, which makes sense to me. But there doesn't seem to be any requirement or push to do it one way or the other -- whatever choice that parents make is fine with the cruiseline. Now, poorly behaved children in the DRs is another story entirely. We once sat next to a full table of teens whose parents put them at a separate table -- it was a nightmare. But most of the children I have seen eating with their families in the DRs have been delightful and seemed to enjoy every minute.

We have seen children in the dining room on CB and it seemed the wait staff went out of their way to make them smile. I agree, I think Princess is just pointing out choices, not discouraging children in the dining room.

IMO children have to be exposed to different things to learn how to behave. You can't expect them to suddenly turn 12 or 13 and then take them to the dining room and expect them to know what to do. It begins at a very young age. I think for young families the anytime dining option would be great as it would allow you to be flexible. Dine together some nights and if there is a night or two mom and dad would like a little alone time then they have that option as well.

Sure wish we would of discovered cruising when our DD was young!

I have only been on one Princess cruise and did not see many children. I did look and see that Princess puts no age restriction on their restaurants. (sorry junglejane) We own a fine dining restaurant and it is few and far between that I see young children enjoying a long meal. Why not let the young kids play in the kids club rather than subjecting them to a long meal? They can learn table manners at any restaurant.

Not sure what you mean by sorry junglejane. I took my 6 year old to Sterling Steakhouse because filet mignon is her favorite meal in the whole world. She would have been very disappointed to have been left out. She has been on 3 cruises and has no interest in the kid's menu anymore. She behaves well and we also dine very early. As I mentioned above, I didn't take her to Sabatini's because the food wouldn't appeal to her and the meal is much slower paced. My 10 year old loved it though (except the scallops).

Tinkr2, maybe you are thinking of Celebrity. They restrict their specialty restaurant to 12 and up. But that's also a far more formal dining experience than Sterling Steakhouse, and is also a step up from Sabatini's in my opinion.

Frankly, the Sterling Steakhouse on the Diamond Princess looked like it was hurting for business, especially at 6 pm. They were more than happy to seat our family of four. Another family was seated nearby, and there were plenty of empty tables.

--Junglejane

We too use the speciality restraunts as a get away from our kids, but it wouldnt bother me in the least to have other peoples children there. One point to remember, Princess charges the same price for kids as they do adults so they should be able to enjoy whatever their parents chose to let them participate in. Again, as long as their behaivor does not infringe on the enjoyment of others.

That's good to hear, because I get the whole thing about offering parents the chance to dine without the kids and giving them a heads-up about needing to select anytime dining.

It was on the Grand Princess, however, that we were treated rather poorly for not ordering wine with our dinners, which is a religious observation having nothing to do with money. One woman actually questioned us in disbelief and definite disgust in her voice, "You don't want wine?". We ended up getting sodas in wine glasses and carrying them into the dining room and got approving looks from waitstaff and better service. You better believe that went on our comment cards at the end. I wanted to make sure we didn't field dirty looks for taking our kids in the dining room.

I'm glad the kids have evening activities and that they give us the heads-up. It allows the adults the option of a night out and gives the kids activities they enjoy more than the regular evening fare. I think my niece is one who will do best eating outside the dining room simply because of her age. Mine want the adult menu, but they'll be 17, 14, and 10.

I really do think Princess is trying to draw kids away from the main dining room in an inoffensive way, though, and they've found a way to phrase it so it appeals (hopefully) particularly to the parents of the kids with whom is is almost a punishment to eat. Notice they never suggest you eat in the "elegant dining rooms" earlier with your kids, which is also an option.

"The dining alternatives onboard our ships allow parents the freedom to spend time with their children while they eat an early dinner at the pizzeria, in the 24-hour restaurant offering a special children's menu, in their stateroom with 24-hour room service, or in one of our many alternative dining locations. After taking their children to the supervised Youth and Teen Centers, parents can enjoy dining on their own in the elegant dining rooms."

My kids (twin ds 12, and dd 17) LOVED eating dinner every night in the dining room. They tried many new dishes, they were treated exceptionally by our wonderful waitstaff and they considered the dining room one of the highlights of our trip. We NEVER felt like they were not welcome in the dining room. There were quite a few very well mannered children eating with their families. Never once saw any children with bad manners. Did, however, see an adult couple who had too much to drink - they proceeded to talk VERY loudly to their tablemates throughout their dinner. :rolleyes:

My children have excellent manners and they are always dressed appropriately. The dinners do take awhile and allow you to have some wonderful conversations. It won't be long and they will be off to college and on their own. I intend to enjoy every minute I have with them!

I would never send my kids off to the buffet while I ate a fancy dinner in the dining room. My children only attended the kids' club on two occasions, as they were not interested in many of the activities. We left that decision up to them.

A cruise is a time for everyone to experience new things and children who are encouraged to expand their horizons will come away from the trip with a real education.

It's just a reminder that if you want your children freed up in time for the 7 pm activities, they will have to use anytime dining, because the early traditional time will conclude too late. That's all....

Actually we find that while my DH and I are still working on our main course our DS is already done. The younger kids have less courses and the server doesn't bring their courses at the same time as the grownups, he brings each course as my son has finished the prior. We like early traditional. DS is completely finished dessert and all just around the time the dessert menu is rolled out. DH picks his dessert and then takes DS up to the Kids Program while I order our desserts. DH is back in plenty of time to enjoy his dessert and a leisurely cup of coffee. We enjoy this set up tremendously as we feel get the best of all the things we like in cruise dining!!!

In any case, DH and I have never been out of early traditional later than 7:30 so we have never found the meals to take all that long. Our meals at home usually last at least an hour.

Not sure what you mean by sorry junglejane. I took my 6 year old to Sterling Steakhouse because filet mignon is her favorite meal in the whole world. She would have been very disappointed to have been left out. She has been on 3 cruises and has no interest in the kid's menu anymore. She behaves well and we also dine very early. As I mentioned above, I didn't take her to Sabatini's because the food wouldn't appeal to her and the meal is much slower paced. My 10 year old loved it though (except the scallops).

Tinkr2, maybe you are thinking of Celebrity. They restrict their specialty restaurant to 12 and up. But that's also a far more formal dining experience than Sterling Steakhouse, and is also a step up from Sabatini's in my opinion.

Frankly, the Sterling Steakhouse on the Diamond Princess looked like it was hurting for business, especially at 6 pm. They were more than happy to seat our family of four. Another family was seated nearby, and there were plenty of empty tables.

--Junglejane

I said sorry for thinking you could not bring children. I said I looked it up. What a waste of time it is to aplologize on these boards:mad:

RCCL, HAL, DISNEY, AZAMARA and Celebrity do not allow children under 12 in the specialty restaurants. I was certainly not referring to the main dining rooms, which are an excellent place for children to practice appropriate behavior.

And no one is forced to eat off the childs menu in any of the dining rooms on any cruise. There are lovely steak options on the menu every evening. My children also never cared much for childrens menus. There are simply restaurants that are not geared for a 6 or 10 year old or even the average 13 year old. Let them spend time in the appropriate fun activity.It is great that Princess has so many options.

I think they are definitley trying to give options to keep the kids out of the dining room. Many kids hate the long deawn out dinners. I have teens and they would much rather just grab a quick bite and do the activities.

Are the rules different on Diamond Princess?. I thought the rules for the specialty restaurants were 12 and up. I would be upset to have your 6 year old seated next to me. I use the specialty restaurants for romantic time away from my kids, and I certainly do not want anyone elses children either, no matter what little angels you think they are.:(

You may want to suggest to Princess that they should post age restriction for the specialty restaurants.

If there are no age restrictions, parents should be allowed to bring their children to enjoy dinner there.

If the children are well behaved, why would you be upset at the presence of the children?

I find ill mannered adults more disturbing than young children.

Archived