TSA Precautions

prescottbob

...but I can also get hit by a bus or speared by a falling icicle or hit by a golfball or have a bridge collapse beneath me or just die in my office from a heart attack or get shot in a busy street in broad daylight...

...and those are supposedly "preventable" too - but they happen.

Life is risky - pretending that it isn't is nonsense and trying to prevent anything bad from ever happening is impossible.

...but I can also get hit by a bus or poisoned by a bad batch of medicine or speared by a falling icicle or hit by a golfball or have a bridge collapse beneath me or just die in my office from a heart attack or get shot in a busy street in broad daylight...

...and those are supposedly "preventable" too - but they happen.

Life is risky - pretending that it isn't is nonsense and trying to prevent anything bad from ever happening is impossible.

Simply put life happens, I used to be all about planning, saving, putting things off, then my best friend of nearly 20 years died suddenly in 2000, 3 months after he was my best man. He collapsed on a Sunday and died Monday night, he had liver cancer and didn't even know it. Blood clots took his life quickly and probably with much less pain than a long dragged out battle with cancer. We were 30 I never thought anything like that could happen. Its changed my perspective on things, I don't put off vacation, trips, things I want to do or see like I used to. Worrying about what could happen should never prevent you doing or experiencing something, life's to short

Simply put life happens, I used to be all about planning, saving, putting things off, then my best friend of nearly 20 years died suddenly in 2000, 3 months after he was my best man. He collapsed on a Sunday and died Monday night, he had liver cancer and didn't even know it. Blood clots took his life quickly and probably with much less pain than a long dragged out battle with cancer. We were 30 I never thought anything like that could happen. Its changed my perspective on things, I don't put off vacation, trips, things I want to do or see like I used to. Worrying about what could happen should never prevent you doing or experiencing something, life's to short

Frank - I'm glad you see my point.

I lost a dear friend (my first cruise buddy) to cancer last fall, then a co-worker to a traffic accident last week (He was hit by an ambulance on his Vespa - and Yes, he was wearing a helmet but still sustained a fatal brainstem injury...) - both were in the primes of their lives and were doing the things that they "needed to do" to take care of themselves to live long productive lives -

Then Poof, they were gone...

:(

Frank - I'm glad you see my point.

I lost a dear friend (my first cruise buddy) to cancer last fall, then a co-worker to a traffic accident last week (He was hit by an ambulance on his Vespa - and Yes, he was wearing a helmet but still sustained a fatal brainstem injury...) - both were in the primes of their lives and were doing the things that they "needed to do" to take care of themselves to live long productive lives -

Then Poof, they were gone...

:(

Brian I understand completely, sorry to hear about your co-worker.

Bob I had read the article, a friend from the Navy, who works for homeland security says that there are lots of things that they investigate that never get mentioned in the news. He says that its for the best, he hates when there are announcements that scare people because he says that living in fear is what they (terrorists) want us to do. So while I read the stories, I am not going to let the b*****ds influence my life. :)

Ahoy!

I actually wasn't trying to post a 'scare' article. Life is definitily a 'crap shoot' regardless of everyday precautions (we all have lots of stories when it come to personnal tragedies). However, it's TSA's duty to limit the risk / liability of acts committed by these 'lethal loonie toons'. I guess I get tired of the 'whinning' at airports when folks have to toss their 'power drink' or need to remove their footwear (the shoebomber comes to mind) in order to pass through 'security' (such as it is at various airports). The human condition persists.

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

security is a necessity today. Yes they are reactive. Their regs try to prevent reoccurances based on experience. If they were pro-active, they could ban all carryone luggage.:eek:

My recurring nightmare is being asked to wear those paper gowns to the airport in order to board the plane. :eek: Or maybe we will all have to fly nude:eek: :eek: :eek:

So I get to the airport early, wait patiently in line, follow directions no matter how inane, stay alert for suspicious behaviour, and pray that the "lethal loonies" haven't targeted my flight.

I absolutely refuse to let this spoil one minute of my trip.:D

My recurring nightmare is being asked to wear those paper gowns to the airport in order to board the plane. :eek: Or maybe we will all have to fly nude:eek: :eek: :eek:

So I get to the airport early, wait patiently in line, follow directions no matter how inane, stay alert for suspicious behaviour, and pray that the "lethal loonies" haven't targeted my flight.

I absolutely refuse to let this spoil one minute of my trip.:D

Well said, Carole! Though having read this, I know I'm about to start having that same nightmare. Argh!

I understand the need for reasonable precautions. Please note the word reasonable is in italics. It's the stupid, where-are-their-brains, knee-jerk dictates that are thrown out from the Beltway that really get my goat. But like onthegogirl, we just roll with the punches and try to conform so we can get on with our flight and get on the ship.

When are they going to start screening all the cargo that is loaded into the belly of the planes we are all flying? I hope we hear an announcement when that has begun as that is a real step that can be taken to keep us safer.

All of us here on this Board obviously have chosen to continue to live our lives and put the fear and chances of being a 'target' into perspective or we wouldn't be traveling and cruising. I truly feel bad for folks who are paralyzed by fear to the point they no longer travel or do the things they once enjoyed.......due to fear. I don't criticize them as I know they are doing the best they can but I feel bad for the adventure and fun they are missing...... that they once enjoyed.

When are they going to start screening all the cargo that is loaded into the belly of the planes we are all flying? I hope we hear an announcement when that has begun as that is a real step that can be taken to keep us safer.

Doubt that will ever happen. My husband works for a large cargo operation (domestic/international cargo airline and air and ocean freight forwarder), and only within the past couple of months -- nearly 6 years after 9/11 -- was everyone in his company required to complete paperwork for a DHS threat assessment. Not only did he have to present a couple of official photo ID's (thank goodness for his passport), but he also had to provide previous home addresses. We've been in our current house over 25 years ... and he still had to tell them where he'd lived before. Our good collective memory helped on that count. Yes ... he now has an official DHS letter stating that he does not present a security threat/issue. So, if it took that long to begin to investigate the people who handle/load only some air/ocean freight ... how long will it be before someone dreams up a plan to actually scan the cargo?

After 9/11, I had difficulty going into NYC without being scared. My DH was at the doctor's office in the city that morning, my daughter who worked right there stopped to vote and narrowly missed being in the vicinity, my son works down there, my SIL walked uptown from Wall Street to 72nd street and my niece was trapped in a subway station filled with smoke and thought she was going to die.

After a while, I realized that if I lived my life like that and stayed away from the things I love to do in NY, then the terrorists had won. So, now, like the rest of you, I cruise, fly when I have to (what I hate isn't the flying but the long lines and the hassle at the airport) and go about living my life. Life is too short and can turn on a dime. We have to make the most of each and every day because we just don't know what tomorrow will bring.

After 9/11, I had difficulty going into NYC without being scared. My DH was at the doctor's office in the city that morning, my daughter who worked right there stopped to vote and narrowly missed being in the vicinity, my son works down there, my SIL walked uptown from Wall Street to 72nd street and my niece was trapped in a subway station filled with smoke and thought she was going to die.

After a while, I realized that if I lived my life like that and stayed away from the things I love to do in NY, then the terrorists had won. So, now, like the rest of you, I cruise, fly when I have to (what I hate isn't the flying but the long lines and the hassle at the airport) and go about living my life. Life is too short and can turn on a dime. We have to make the most of each and every day because we just don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Great post, Carol.

I can't figure out how putting all the small cosmetic liquids in a zip lock bag makes flying safer. If a group of terrorists on a plane all bring the little bottles and then give them to each other to make a bomb in the lav how would anyone know ahead of time.I guess you could profile passengers and have one flight a day for people with middle eastern or Indonesian looks, passports, etc. so others can feel safe. I recently returned from Costa Rica and they allowed my duty free liquor from San Jose to Miami and then I had to repack and put the bottles in my suitcase and my dirty laundry in the carryon. If we all have to do this we could have one smelly plane.

If a group of terrorists on a plane all bring the little bottles and then give them to each other to make a bomb in the lav how would anyone know ahead of time.
Where are they getting the large container for mixing these? :confused:

Archived