How do you book the family cabins?

Luxuriate

I've noticed that on-line, the Celebrity Website, I have never been able to secure a family cabin. Even on the first day opening. I was wondering if these can only be booked through a travel agent? Also, is there a certain number of people that have to book into any one particular cabin? We have three.

Thanks, Cheryl

FV cabins cannot be booked online at any time. You must either call Celebrity or go through a travel agent. There are supposed to be a minimum of 5 passengers to book. Some people will book with less than that (there are ways to do it), but especially far out from the sailing, you need to think if that's really the right thing to do, as there are families who need the space and to be together, rather than just wanting it.

Cheryl,

We have booked our last two FVs thru a travel agent pretty much on the first day that were available for reserving. Each time it was for a family of 4.

This is something that really annoys me about Celebrity. Why can't anyone book an FV as long as they're willing to pay for it. You could get what..at least 6 in a penthouse, yet you could book it for one if you're willing to shell out the dough. So what if it has a pull out sofa, so do a lot of the suites, yet there's no restriction on numbers for those.

While we have booked our 2 FV cabins thru a travel agent, we found out about them from the Celebrity website. Strange, I know, but true.

We did a Panama Canal cruise in March, there were 5 of us, and we had a corner FV on Infinity. This December we are again booked in a corner FV, this time on Millenium for a transatlantic. There are only 3 of us booked into the cabin this time, my daughter is staying in a CC cabin next door with my SIL. Our friends traveling with us were also able to book the FV next door to us, again, with 3 people.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that they can be booked online, I guess it just depends on their demand for each individual cruise.

Donna

Cruise Junkie - You can book them if you so desire. Just make a reservation for 4 or 5 and pay the fee and you have it. At the last minute the other 3 don't show.

I have never booked one but I have seen them as recent as last week for the December 2 Millennium TA. They opened them up for bookings of 2 and had two available. What amazed me was that one of them was a corner - the largest. I put a hold on it (via computer) but couldn't convince my partner to give up our CS for it.

Jim, when we went from FV guarantee to FV booked all 12 of the FV's were available, and online!!! That's when I got scared and called my TA. I thought our guarantee booking had somehow been lost, and I didn't want to take any more chances. Plus, the fee to book had dropped significantly so we actually saved money!! Another plus was that we were also able to make sure that Sarah and my SIL were right next door to us.

I'm kinda glad you and Ian didn't switch cabins........I want to see that Celebrity Suite!! Plus, you're welcome on our balcony anytime!

Donna

Sorry, my previous answer was incomplete. Forgot about when they release them from occupancy restriction. They do become available online closer in to sailing date when they no longer have occupancy restrictions on them. Then anyone and everyone is able to book them - which is good. It's like the handicapped cabins which are also released from restriction if they're not needed for those with accessibility issues.

I booked a FV last September for our upcoming September cruise. I just happened to be looking at the Celebrity website at a particular cruise that had no FV's available. It showed up on the webpage that one became available. We called Celeb and said we saw it online and wanted to book it. (Booked for 4 people)The rep said that there weren't any available and we explained that its on the webpage. She researched and was very very suprised that it was on the website. We were able to book it over a year in advance of the sailing.

No other FV's have showed up for the cruise until this week another one shows as available. I guess as a previous poster said, it was opened up for the general public.

All that being said, its probably always best to call Celebrity if you want a FV

This is something that really annoys me about Celebrity. Why can't anyone book an FV as long as they're willing to pay for it. You could get what..at least 6 in a penthouse, yet you could book it for one if you're willing to shell out the dough. So what if it has a pull out sofa, so do a lot of the suites, yet there's no restriction on numbers for those.
That's a real nice thought. So you book the cabin for two that sleeps 5. Then a family of 5 comes along and can't get a cabin because you had to have that room. So they can't cruise because you had to have the cabin that was built with families in mind.

That's a real nice thought. So you book the cabin for two that sleeps 5. Then a family of 5 comes along and can't get a cabin because you had to have that room. So they can't cruise because you had to have the cabin that was built with families in mind.

I fail to see how a family is supposed to stay in there. It's a couch, not a bed. Where is the 5th person supposed to sleep? on the floor?. Why don't they reserve the suites for families? they're bigger!! And, yes, personally, I think anything other than a Handicap should be able to be booked by anyone that wants to pay for it.

Our family of 5 sure fit nicely in it. The "couch" folds out to a bed, where both of our adoring children fit nicely. My mom slept on the other "couch", which conviently turns over to reveal a comfy bed there, too.

Donna

And did that leave you an actual living room? anywhere to sit? how did you get around two fold out couchs in that room? I'm all for saving cabins for families, just don't make them the most sought after cabins on the ship.

Why don't they reserve the suites for families?

Perhaps because most suites don't have the furnishing for five people to sleep in them, while the FV cabins do?

While the idea that someone would reserve a cabin with special accommodations for families when they don't need them squicks me less than taking a cabin with special accommodations for handicapped folks by able-bodied people who simply like more room, it's still not fair to the families that NEED the ability to sleep more people in their room, just as it's not fair to the people that need the accommodations a HC room affords.

I think anything other than a Handicap should be able to be booked by anyone that wants to pay for it.
I'd be REALLY surprised if any couples who make a reservation for five people to hold a FV cabin actually end up paying five fares. More likely, come final payment time, three people "back out" of going on the cruise. Does this really count as "paying for it"? They're not only shafting families, but they're also shafting Celebrity by sailing with those berths empty. If you want to take it after it's released to general availability, by all means, knock yourself out. If a family comes along, you may even get upgraded.

Lighten up. That's like me saying because you booked the last cabin available on the ship, the next person that tries to book can't cruise because of you.

Regards

Our family of 5 sure fit nicely in it. The "couch" folds out to a bed, where both of our adoring children fit nicely. My mom slept on the other "couch", which conviently turns over to reveal a comfy bed there, too.

Donna

I wondered how that worked. Since there were just the two of us, we never tried to open the other beds, but it seemed that if sofa was folded out into a bed, there would be no room for the loveseat to fold out.

Regards

Lighten up. That's like me saying because you booked the last cabin available on the ship, the next person that tries to book can't cruise because of you.

No, actually, it's more like a handicapped person saying they can't sail because you booked the last HC cabin.

I'd be REALLY surprised if any couples who make a reservation for five people to hold a FV cabin actually end up paying five fares. More likely, come final payment time, three people "back out" of going on the cruise. Does this really count as "paying for it"? They're not only shafting families, but they're also shafting Celebrity by sailing with those berths empty. If you want to take it after it's released to general availability, by all means, knock yourself out. If a family comes along, you may even get upgraded.

I never said that. The price could be higher if only two people want it. I'd never dream of scheming to book it for 5 only to drop out 3.

No one is asking you to agree with me, I just feel that if you're travelling with kids and you know you need the room, you should book early like everyone else does...the best cabins on the ship should not be put aside incase a family comes along. If I'm willing to A: Pay for it and B: put out my deposit 24 months in advance, I should have my choice of cabins. This has absolutely nothing to do with reserving handicap cabins, two completely different scenarios.

This has absolutely nothing to do with reserving handicap cabins, two completely different scenarios.
No it's not. There are limited number of HC cabins and a limited number of FV cabins. Some HC people cannot use standard rooms. Some larger families cannot fit into standard rooms.

There are people out there who can't afford 2 cabins, or have enough small kids to not want to leave them alone. They may not have the disposible cash to have it held for 2 years. They may not know until a year out if they can get the time off work.

If you find these so desirable. Book a regular cabin 2 years out and wait list for the FV. If they become available, you will be at the top of the list.

Would you find these cabins as desirable if they weren't as big as they are?

No it's not. There are limited number of HC cabins and a limited number of FV cabins. Some HC people cannot use standard rooms. Some larger families cannot fit into standard rooms.

There are people out there who can't afford 2 cabins, or have enough small kids to not want to leave them alone. They may not have the disposible cash to have it held for 2 years. They may not know until a year out if they can get the time off work.

If you find these so desirable. Book a regular cabin 2 years out and wait list for the FV. If they become available, you will be at the top of the list.

Would you find these cabins as desirable if they weren't as big as they are?

Then they should hold back all the Quads as well as the FVs but they don't. They should hold back the Penthouse Suites as well if we're talking about wanting extra room for children. The problem with being waitlisted for an FV is that prices go up. Sure something may come available two months before sailing, chances are so has the price considerably!!

Then they should hold back all the Quads as well as the FVs but they don't. They should hold back the Penthouse Suites as well if we're talking about wanting extra room for children. The problem with being waitlisted for an FV is that prices go up. Sure something may come available two months before sailing, chances are so has the price considerably!!
Don't give them any ideas. You may find other cabins you want put on hold.

How would you feel if for those aft FV cabins, as soon as they came out they put a price on them and left them open, but the price was equivilent to the what you would expect for 2 people plus the 3 extras. Would he be willing to pay and extra $1500-$2400 on top of what you would expect to pay for 2 people. That's what a family of 5 is paying.

Our upcoming cruise on the Connie, the FV's are going for $3058 for two. But by holding it only for 5 people they can get $5158 for that same cabin. Would you still want the cabin at that price?

Why would the cruise line want to book the cabin at the lowest fare for 2 people when they can get that rate plus and extra $1500+ for 3 more people in that same cabin? It's the econmics.

As you were saying about holding the quads. There are more than 12 quads on the whole ship. If they do sell out of quads, they can put a quad in a FV.

As to holding the Penthouse, when they get the price they do for the PH, the number of people in is is irrelevant.

My personal opinion is, I wouldn't want to be one of 5 in a cabin. But some people don't have the financial ability to do anything else.

Archived