How do you like 4 dining times?

localady

How do you like 4 dining times????  

305 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like 4 dining times????

• Love the new dining times, keep them!
    • Wish we could go back to 2 traditional dining times!
    • Wish we could go to "freestyle" dining!
    • Doesn't matter when we eat, as long as the food is good!

As long as we are assigned to 8:00 seating, then it is fine with me. If we were assigned to any other dining time, it definitely would NOT be fine with me.

Actually, I like the four seatings as we always had 8:15 (traditionally the late seating time on HAL) and going the 15 minutes earlier is nice. I think 8:00 perfect.

Maybe I'll change my mind after my Jan Westerdam cruise when we should have the 8:00 seating. However, we really didn't like the 8:30 time on the Veendam last March. Besides being a bit too late (I know how can 15 mins make that much difference but it did) everyone was a bit confused about the times and the schedules for other events didn't work as well. I know that was shortly after they started the 4 times so I'm hoping they've worked out some of those kinks by now. And at least we had a choice on which of the 2 late seatings this time where that time they just assigned them at random.

I had the second seating, on the late dinner and I think I would next time, take the early seating, of the late dinner.

I found the cold appetizers and salads to be a "little wilted" (the kitchen must prepare those items earlier in the day) and the main courses "over cooked" (sitting around keeping warm) . . . enough said.

The key is good food!!!!!!!

Tom

We haven't been on HAL since the switch, however I think the 8:00 time will be fine. We have been given that time for our next cruise. The disruption of people coming and going sounds to be a negative.

I agree with Sail, anything other than the 8:00 time would not be good ,especially the early early and the late late.

As long as we are assigned to 8:00 seating, then it is fine with me. If we were assigned to any other dining time, it definitely would NOT be fine with me.

I agree! I sure wouldn't want 5:45 or even 6:15. BUT, what to do if you get assigned early, ship is full and after you get on the ship maitre d' can't do a thing to change your time. What would you do? I can't see anything but just accepting it and hoping you love your dinning partners. :eek:

never sailed on Hal, so, i cant really give an honest opinion, but we traditionally prefer the latest seating. we like being outdoors til 6 or so, go to the fitness center for 30-45 minutes, relax in the cabin, get ready, and meet for drinks at 7:45. therefore, for us, the 8:30 couldn't be more perfect! however, based upon what i am reading, i wouldnt want to be rushed, or have my food sitting around for hours! i would assume the four seatings would make the flow of cooking and serving easier. i will surely find out in january on my first sail with hal. :)

We also dislike the 4 dining times and would like Hal to change it back.

I noticed than many people like the 8:00 seating but along with that preference also like to sit in a certain area.

Let us say Hal gets over whelmed with 8:00 dining requests and they switch dining areas for both early and main, since lower has more tables than upper and more people could be accomodated. Would it make a difference?

I had the dinner time I preferred so I was poised to see how much more smoothly the dining room ran. Had I not been on my preferred time I may have seen things much differently.

Except for the Baked Alaska parade and the final farewell the four times seem to work very well when you look at the impact in the dining room.

It's the impact outside the dining room where I don't like it.

Music and dancing either cuts off too late for the earlier time, or too early for the later---on each sitting. This causes some people to stay too long at the fair and arrive at the dining room late. And that has a ripple effect at every table of the same steward.

Games that are played at 7:45 are too early for 6:15 diners and too late for the 8:00 crowd.

Every night there were some late-comers to the second show. I'm sure most didn't mean to be disruptive, but they couldn't help but walk in front of some of those already seated.

It appears that by solving one problem HAL has created another.

Maybe we should forward this to HAL

:) Not necessary. Some in Seattle read this (and other) Boards. A number of HAL people have identified themselves as HAL employees here on the Board when they have posted from time to time.

I noticed than many people like the 8:00 seating but along with that preference also like to sit in a certain area.

Let us say Hal gets over whelmed with 8:00 dining requests and they switch dining areas for both early and main, since lower has more tables than upper and more people could be accomodated. Would it make a difference?

Interesting comment, Roadwork, and one I really hadn't considered before nor do I remember it being mentioned here. Lower level has more tables than Upper and therefore would accomodate many more pax for the preferred seating.

What would CC posters do if they preferred Upper at 8 and HAL changed it to Lower at 8, Upper 8:30. Would you change to Lower Level or to 8:30 ?

The problem I see with the new times is more customer dissatisfaction. We booked our Alaska cruise at Christmas last year and were unable to get either acceptable time for our July Ryndam cruise! One week we were assigned to 5:45 and once to 8:30, and I disliked both. Luckily as we were on the ship 2 weeks we were able to switch to 8:00 the 2nd week, although we both prefer the 6:30 seating more. Part of the problem was that HAL announced this program after we booked and my TA from cruise.com would never respond to request the times of our choice. As we have booked our next 3 cruises very early and directly with HAL, hopefully we will actually get the times we have requested!!

I was actually surprised at the amount of folks that dislike the 4 dining times. :eek: I appreciate the fact that it helps the staff, but frankly I thought they were here to make us happy and it appears there are more than a few that are not!:cool:

I wish they would go back to two dining times. As much as I understand that HAL has staffing problems, I hate the idea of four dinner seatings.

Open seating or FreeStyle seating is not for me, either.

Is HAL getting us used to four seatings only to go for "open seating" next year or the year after? Who knows. I hope not. Too many changes......

The dinner time is more important to me as well. I don't care if I sit upstairs or down, as long as its not 8:30 pm dining, way too late for me. I love to eat at 8:15 pm and that's what I have always taken for dining times with HAL, but that 8:30 pm one was awful. I didn't really think 15 minutes could make that much of a difference, but it sure does.

Archived