Off to New York City...again.

cot427

I am off to new york city, but this time, it was kinda last minute (at least for me). (Also, it is not the Affinia). I got a deal through my timeshare company. I have been wanted to try out the Manhattan Club in New York City. I only have it for one night, Saturday September 15th. It's better than nothing, and plus, I am going to try to get a week. I can't wait.

Here are the details:

I am taking the greyhound bus from Pittsburgh on Friday September 14th at 11:15p.m. I will arrive in NYC at 8:00a.m. on Saturday September 15th. So I will have all morning until 2:00p.m. That is when the timeshare pitch is, but I don't mind them, especially when I am looking to buy this new timeshare. Then, after the pitch, we will have all night to do whatever, and dine at a good restaurant in nyc. On sunday, I will take a 3:30p.m. bus back to Pittsburgh arriving at 11:30p.m. So I will have most of that day as well. I don't know what to do.

I have been to the top of the rock, seen most of the major neighborhoods, as well as ground zero and the ellis/liberty island ferry.

I might go see a show. A broadway show or something like that.

I didn't consider flying because its only for one night. I can't extend it with the kids in school and since were going on the Freedom in October, they can't miss school. I tried amtrak, but they don't have anything that would appeal to me. So the bus is the best thing. I figure I could sleep the bus ride at night. I wouldn't be that bad.

So I am making this 1 night nyc thing, into a great weekend.

Any thoughts about this, tips? Also, anyone stayed at the Manhattan Club, own a week there?

Thanks again to all, especially to all of you new yorkers.

Thanks for the tips. I would have posted sooner, but I had a storm that knocked power out at my house for 28 hrs, and I went over to my grandma's to go on the internet last night. The San Gennaro Festival sounds good. I don't know weather to do that, go to a museum that I missed, or go to a show/play.

Thanks for the tips. I would have posted sooner, but I had a storm that knocked power out at my house for 28 hrs, and I went over to my grandma's to go on the internet last night. The San Gennaro Festival sounds good. I don't know weather to do that, go to a museum that I missed, or go to a show/play.

No one says you have to do only one thing while here for a day. You can hit a museum in the morning while waiting to get into the time share, go the feast in the afternoon and then off to a show in the evening. Make a side trip to the TKTS booth down at the seaport and see about getting tickets for that evening, then you can enjoy and eat at the totally overpriced feast, but something you should experience once.

P.S. Sucks about the power outage. We just had to deal with a tornado in Brooklyn and suspended subway service for a day. What a disaster.

What museum do you think is the best. I haven't been to any, and I'm up for any kind. Which one is the best?

Any which play/show is not to miss?

Also, anybody ever stay or hear anything about th Manhattan Club. I tried to get it for a week, but it was totally booked, so i took the night. I guess it is great since you can never get anything.

P.S. I really wanted to see Rachael Ray, but she doesn't tape on Friday or the Weekends. (I would go the extra day on Friday if she did, but she is the only one I'd do it for.)

I've never been to the Manhattan Club but it looks fabulous.

As for musuems, it depends on what interests you. I like the Museum of Natural History better than the Metropolitan Museum of Art because that's my taste. I love the Museum of the City of New York.

http://www.ny.com/museums/all.museums.html

Above is a link to museums in New York City. Some of them are huge and some are tiny. I like the smaller ones better as I get a bit overwhelmed by the bigger ones. If you like ghost stories try the Merchant House Museum.

Thanks for all the tips. I think I want to see Jersey Boys, but I hear tickets are hard to get. I accually was thinking about flying, because I have a credit from southwest, for $200 because the fare went down to Florida, but the airport is the Macaurther airport, about any hour away?? Any thoughts?? How much to get from there to Manhattan?

Thanks for all the tips. I think I want to see Jersey Boys, but I hear tickets are hard to get. I accually was thinking about flying, because I have a credit from southwest, for $200 because the fare went down to Florida, but the airport is the Macaurther airport, about any hour away?? Any thoughts?? How much to get from there to Manhattan?

That airport is too far away. It would cost you a fortune to try and find a cab to get you to Manhattan. You could take a cab to the LIRR and take the train in. Or you could try and find a tranportation company to pick you up and bring you in - try Classic Transportation. But I would absolutely not choose that airport to fly into, especially if you are only staying for one day.

Southwest flies into Laguardia too - can't you fly in there?

That airport is too far away. It would cost you a fortune to try and find a cab to get you to Manhattan. You could take a cab to the LIRR and take the train in. Or you could try and find a tranportation company to pick you up and bring you in - try Classic Transportation. But I would absolutely not choose that airport to fly into, especially if you are only staying for one day.

Southwest flies into Laguardia too - can't you fly in there?

I second this. MacArthur Airport is way too far. What you save in airfare you will lose in ground transportation, probably more.

I can't fly to La Guardia on Southwest from Pittsburgh or any surronding airports. I guess the bus will work for me. I mapped it, and it said 1:13, 1:50 if traffic. Too long and cost a fortune in taxi. Thanks!

For information on the Manhatten Club, which is a timeshare, try Timeshare Users group www.tug2.net As a guest you will not have access to the resort reviews, but will be able to go on the boards and ask questions as well as looking over the club's own website. Be aware that, as a MC guest, they will probably try to rope you into a tour with the sales department by offering free show tickets. Do this only if you have a few hours to kill and know how to say "NO". If you are only there for a night and don't take a tour, you will probably find an invitation in your mail to return as their guest (at a nearby hotel) for a tour and some show tickets and free dinners. If you're going to do that, I would spend a lot more time on TUG to prepare for the battle between you and the sales department.:p

The day of the show, you can walk to the half price ticket booth in Times Square which sells half price tickets for many shows. You'll need to pay in cash.

Keith

Sorry to barge in but the little green light next to your name says you're onlie. We're leaving for New York tomorrow morning by car. We got 2 different ways to get there from Mapquest and Google. Mapquest tells us to to take the Lincoln Tunnel but Google tells us to take George Washington Bridge. We're from Montreal. Do you have any suggestions?

Sorry to barge in but the little green light next to your name says you're onlie. We're leaving for New York tomorrow morning by car. We got 2 different ways to get there from Mapquest and Google. Mapquest tells us to to take the Lincoln Tunnel but Google tells us to take George Washington Bridge. We're from Montreal. Do you have any suggestions?

Are you parking and taking a cruise- and from where??? Frankly, as often as I go to NYC, I don't drive in for a cruise. I drive to Poughkeepsi- which if you are taking the Thruway, you are passing via the New Paltz exit. Then take Metro North train, runs hourly, for about 1 hour 40 min. to Grand Central. Then easy for a cab to anywhere, or bus/subway.

If you continue to drive, - where are you going??? If the Manhatten pier, the George Washington will get you right there. But either entry into Manhatten with get you where you want to go.

Okay. I have a new situation. I had to change the dates of my trip because my aunt couldn't go with us in September and my cousin couldn't either. So the only other date that the Manhattan Club has was October 27th, two weeks after I get off my cruise, but I took it anyway.

So I search on some activities on what to do, and I noticed a lot of Halloween festivites are going on. So what do you New Yorkers like to do for Halloween, or at the end of October.

I am thinking about taking a picnic and walk through central park because it will be October, and the foliage will be beautiful.

How is the weather for this time? I bet it will be chilly?

I might even fly into LGA if the price is right. I checked USair today, and it was a good price,nonstop and good times. So that might be a possibility also.

And one final question, what is great place to eat? I really didn't eat at any good places last time, so I want something fantastic this time?

Thanks in advanced!!!

What type of food do you like?

I like Italian, Steak & Seafood, American, those types. I don't like Asian food out (except for this one restaurant here at home), or anything of that nature. A reasonably priced good french restaurtant might be nice, or some sort of steak and seafood.

Thanks to both of you for your restaurant recommendations. Now how about things to do. I am still undecided. Are there any special things going on for Halloween, any special haunted houses? Fairs, Parades? Festivals?

(Dates are Sat 27 & Sun 28)

THANKS!

http://manhattan.about.com/od/eventsandattractions/a/halloweenevents.htm

http://gonyc.about.com/od/halloween/p/halloweenstjohn.htm

http://manhattan.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=manhattan&cdn=citiestowns&tm=20&f=00&su=p529.3.152.ip_p532.5.150.ip_p531.29.420.ip_&tt=2&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//nyzoosandaquarium.com/czwhatshappening/cpz-events

Above are a few links to what's going on the weekend of October 27th - 28th. The Halloween Parade is on Halloween so you won't be here for that. Merchant's House and Blood Manor House would be a blast around Halloween. The closer it gets to that weekend, more things will be listed.

Archived