Did you ever meet anyone famous on a cruise?

bermuda triangle

The "real" Patch Adams (not, unfortunately Robin Williams) was an enrichment speaker on a Celebrity Cruise a couple of years ago. He's a tall man with a long gray pony tail. My husband is of more average height, and sports a gray pony tail of more average length :) . I can't tell you how many times both on ship and ashore our fellow passengers would approach DH and tell him how much they enjoyed his talks!

I met Robin Williams....believe it or not, he was sitting at a picnic table having a beef sandwich and Italian lemonade at a beef stand down the block from my office one hot summer afternoon. He was just sitting there wearing jeans and a baseball hat. I wouldn't have even recognized him. We were so shocked and he was so nice. Some of the girls from my office ran back to get a camera and he took pictures with them.

Turns out he was in Chicago filming a movie and someone recommended this little beef stand.

The "real" Patch Adams (not, unfortunately Robin Williams) was an enrichment speaker on a Celebrity Cruise a couple of years ago. He's a tall man with a long gray pony tail. My husband is of more average height, and sports a gray pony tail of more average length :) . I can't tell you how many times both on ship and ashore our fellow passengers would approach DH and tell him how much they enjoyed his talks!

He (the real Patch Adams) was the commencement speaker at my BFs graduation ( I can't recall if from college or medical school). I would have loved to have been there for it!

Laura

I hope it's OK to relate a second-hand story. A friend of mine was on a ship in the Mediterranean several years ago, and they had to tender in choppy seas. She was trying to get up the courage to step aboard the rocking boat from the ship, and was scared. Then a strong pair of arms reached out and lifted her aboard. She looked up and saw that it was Burt Lancaster.

That story always makes me tear up. He was such a wonderful man.

Never met anyone famous on a cruise ship...

but I used to be a British Airways flight attendant and the most famous person I met was Nelson Mandela - he was really chatty to the crew and shook our hands before he left the plane. He left a real impression on me.

I also met loads of others whilst "working flying" as I usually worked in First Class for the last 3 years of my flying career - Pierce Brosnan, John Major, Paula Yates, Michael Hutchence, Colin Montgomerie, John Pawson, Kate Moss, Seal, Naomi Campbell, Cardinal Basil Hume, Prince Edward, Prince Andrew, Jemima Khan with well behaved kids, Take That, Duran Duran, Heather Graham, Coptic Pope, Michael Jackson's baby son with his mother! ... could go on forever.....

I never met anybody famous on a ship, but many people in my work. This might be fun, too:

Nicest: Hank Aguirre, baseball player

Nastiest: Aretha Franklin

Smartest: Donald Peterson (ret. CEO of Ford)

Dumbest: Anita Baker

Richest : Richard Manoogian

Most Beautiful: John and Bo Derek

Scariest: Red Poling (ret. CEO of Ford)

Most Gracious: Mike and Marian Ilitch (Little Caesar's Pizza, etc.)

Biggest Stuffed Shirt: John W. Booth, III (Time Magazine heir)

Least teeth (hee-hee) Gordie Howe, Ice Hockey Player

Most Self-Effacing: Doreen Hermelin (sports venues, philanthropy)

Anybody think of any other categories?

I got to hob knob a bit with Rosemary Clooney, who was performing aboard, accompanied by her favorite nephew George.

Oh my heart be still! I would have loved to have met Rosemary Clooney! (And her nephew isn't bad eye-candy either!!;) :D )

Originally Posted by localady viewpost.gif

Oh my heart be still! I would have loved to have met Rosemary Clooney! (And her nephew isn't bad eye-candy either!!;) :D )

...and he has no problem w/ Formal Night Dress Codes either.

;)

Brian....Now that was funny! I am still laughing! :D

And I would love to see George Clooney on Formal Night! ;)

A Zillion years ago....when I was still in my 20's... Yikes!:eek: I went on a cruise with 2 other girlfriends on the SS Norway and we met the Boxer Ray Boom Boom Mancini and Comedian Tom Dreesen. Not only did we meet them, but they hung out with us the entire cruise. We all danced together in the disco every night and went to the beach together when in port! We had a blast! They even invited us to a benefit they were doing in Chicago a month after our cruise and we went and had special priveledges to sit up in front. Tom Dreesen even wore a t-shirt from the cruise during part of his act. Those were the days to be 20 again! I will have to dig out those pictures! :D

Dearest Ruthless--

I was the teammate responsible for running each answer to the quiz/score table and fetching cocktails for our team ...

Duties for which you are eminently qualified. Thanks for the explanation. ;)

Does it count that my great Aunt is Helen O'Connell??

Not for purposes of this question, I suppose. But I do sometimes still hear her when the radio plays some of her songs.

Let her know, will you, that there are still some people out here who appreciate her music. :)

Sailed and met Florence Henderson and Jim Nabors on one cruise. On another met Kurt Vonegurt(sic). Also sailed on one cruise and Stein Kruse was on board, very laid back and tried to be one of the crowd. We always look since we also once sailed with about half of the Kansas City Chiefs. Needless to say they were not in the superbowl that year but we did have a lot of fun with them. KEEP LOOKING!!!

Ruth, sadly Aunt Helen passed away in '93, but thanks for the good thoughts.

I guess time has gotten away from me---I didn't realize she was gone. :o And so long, at that.

I suppose that as long as I (and others) continue to enjoy her music, and that of her contemporaries, they are always with us.

Sad to say, I wouldn't trust myself to know who I had met.

Many years ago I went by myself to the theater in NY and sat in the 4th row, four seats in. I was sitting next to an elderly lady who was wearing a sweater that smelled from moth balls. I tried to strike up a conversation with her when she complained that the theater was cold and I told her it would warm up when it filled up with more people. She didn't answer me.

When I got back to the parking lot, someone asked me how I liked my seatmate? I kew she must be famous because as she went up the aisle everyone was asking how she liked the show. Wouldn't you know I was sitting next to HELEN HAYES. Maybe if I had seen her head on instead of her profile I would have known. But, boy was I embarrassed.:D

Sad to say, I wouldn't trust myself to know who I had met.

Many years ago I went by myself to the theater in NY and sat in the 4th row, four seats in. I was sitting next to an elderly lady who was wearing a sweater that smelled from moth balls. I tried to strike up a conversation with her when she complained that the theater was cold and I told her it would warm up when it filled up with more people. She didn't answer me.

When I got back to the parking lot, someone asked me how I liked my seatmate? I kew she must be famous because as she went up the aisle everyone was asking how she liked the show. Wouldn't you know I was sitting next to HELEN HAYES. Maybe if I had seen her head on instead of her profile I would have known. But, boy was I embarrassed.:D

Carol,

Don't feel bad! My brother lives in NYC and when I am out there visiting...there always seems to be celebrities when we dine out or go to a broadway performance, and I am clueless. I never recognize anyone...my brother always has to point them out to me. The funniest so far was when we spent a weekend in the Hamptons. One of my girlfriends came out there with me and we were walking out of a restaurant after dinner in the Hamptons while my brother went ahead of us to bring the car to the door. My friend and I were walking out with a couple and having a lengthy conversation with the woman while we were at the front door...she was waiting for her car as well. We got in the car and my brother is laughing because he knows how clueless I am. He said to us...do you guys know who you were talking to? We were like what are you talking about? He said it was Donna Summer! I am such a dork...I had no idea and I was quite the Disco girl back in the 70's and loved her music! But hey...that was 30 yrs ago! DUH....major Blonde moment!:D

My wife is much better at that stuff than I am. Went to Tim McGraw/Faith Hill concert last Saturday at Anaheim's Honda Center (or something like that - used to be "the Pond":eek: ). My wife said do you know who's sitting in front of us. I had no clue. Turned out to be Hillary Swank from Clint Eastwood's "Million Dollar Baby"

I met then-Senator John F. Kennedy on the Jungle Boat cruise at Disneyland in 1960. He was out there for the Democratic National Convention where he received the nomination for President.

I was 14 at the time and completely smitten.:D

Archived