Did you ever meet anyone famous on a cruise?

bermuda triangle

Back in the 1990s I enjoyed being aboard ship, and getting to meet and have many dinners, with Olivia de Havilland. We did a routine from the Loony Toons Cartoon: "A Wild Hare" in the talent show. I played Elmer Fudd, looking for Buggs Bunny, and she came out on stage dressed like Bugs and put her hands over my eyes

Bugs Bunny (Ms. deHavilland): Guess who?

Elmer Fudd (Me): Heddy Wamarr?

Bugs Bunny: No.

Elmer Fudd: Bawbwa Stanwyck?

Bugs Bunny: Nope.

Elmer Fudd: Wosemawy Wane?

Bugs Bunny: Nope. But you're getting warm, Doc. Guess again.

Elmer Fudd: Owivia De Haviwand?

Bugs Bunny: Ehh... could be!

She was GREAT! I wish she were not so much of a recluse now.

Had a beer with Chuck Norris on the Nordic Prince on the top deck hiding under the slanted windguard from a sudden downpour on the way to Bermuda. I was hiding out there when the rain hit, and he ran under the rail next to me with half-a-six-pack. I was 15. He gave me a beer. I became a big fan. ;)

Any others were onboard the ship to perform, or speak, so although I bumped into them during the cruise, I don't think those really count. Ben Vereen, Irving R. Levine, George Wallace, and Bart Conner are among those who were onboard the ship for entertainment who I ran into during the cruise.

Yes we were very priviledged to meet the Maori Queen on board the Pacific Sky in 2005, made even more special by the fact that sadly she passed away a year ago in 2006. I know that she will mean absolutely nothing to you guys, but her passing was a very sad thing for all Maoridom, she was quite an amazing woman and very well respected by world leaders.

Val

Ann Miller was the celebrity guest onboard our April, 1997, Trans-Atlantic sailing of the Maasdam. Each evening she arrived at the Dining Room a bit late looking perfect and in wonderful spirits. During the 10 day trip, there was a scheduled talk with her where she stayed late to answer all of our questions and pose for photos with us. In that session, she took control in a firmly polite and friendly fashion by directing the photographer of each picture to move forward or back, up or down, or side to side. It was a fantastic experience to meet her and my photos and memories of that crossing are my favorites.

Shared a dinner table on Zaandam during her 05-06 New Year's cruise with Luis Alberto Monge, former president of Costa Rica from 1982-1986, his female companion, daughter and son in law. Made for interesting conversation.:) Oh yea, Jose Rijo, then starting pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds. Uno mas, Jim Jacobs who wrote "Grease"

I'm not sure if "met" is the right word, but I spent a few minutes, and DW spent longer, with Darryl Green of the Washington Redskins.

It was late February, and the NCAA basketball conference tournament season was in full swing. DW is a big fan of college basketball, and went to the sports bar to catch up on scores while I did something else, agreeing to meet her at the bar later. When I arrived, she was talking basketball and other sports in general with a vaguely familiar looking young man, and we chatted for a few more minutes after I arrived. He then thanked us for the conversation, especially DW's, saying he really enjoyed it, and left down the passageway. We also decided to leave shortly thereafter, and as we walked the same direction he had gone, a couple of guys came the other way toward us. One of them said, "Wow, I can't believe it. Meeting Darryl Green on the ship, and he autographed my Redskins cap!"

DW and I looked at each other, smacked our foreheads, and laughed. No wonder he looked familiar! But, I can only claim that most of the times I saw him on TV, he had his helmet on. Later, we wondered if he had enjoyed talking just regular sports fan to sports fan instead of as a super-star pro player.

Dave

Well, how about Red Buttons?!! He was the comedian on the Island Princess in 1977 during my week aboard working in the gift shop. I was sitting with the Chief Engineer when Red went into his standup routine. His Catskills humor was totally lost on English Nick, who looked blankly at me and popped his monocle while everyone else was laughing. When the act was over, I headed for the exit. Red rushed by me, then stopped. He said, "Hello, Beautiful!" kissed me quickly and enthusiastically, and walked away. Remembering that moment with "Jimmy" from "The Poseidon Adventure" always makes me smile.

Randy Travis sailed on the Zaandam with me in 2002, Mary Hart from 'Entertainment Tonight' was also on the Zaandam that summer. In 2001 I had Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen from 'Full House' on the Maasdam.

You've got an unfair advantage!;) How were the godmothers of the Zaandam?

Aren't the Olsen Twins godmothers to Zuiderdam?

HAL Godmothers:

M/S Prinsendam - All employees of HAL

M/S Statendam - Lin Arison, wife of Ted Arnison, founder of Carnival

M/S Maasdam - June Allyson, actress

M/S Ryndam - Madeleine Arison, wife of Mickey Arnison, CEO of Carnival

M/S Veendam - Debbie Reynolds, actress

M/S Rotterdam - Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

M/S Amsterdam - Janet Lanterman,wife of former HAL CEO

M/S Volendam - Chris Everett, tennis star

M/S Zaandam - Ashley & Mary Kate Olsen, actresses

M/S Zuiderdam - Joan Lunden, broadcaster/TV anchor

M/S Oosterdam - Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

M/S Westerdam - Renee Soutendijk, Dutch actress

M/S Noordam - Marlee Matlin, actress

M/S Eurodam - unk as of yet, rumor has it Princess Maxima, wife of the future king (Willem Alexander) of the Netherlands

I met and had long talks with June Allison on the Statendam in 1994. Hal Lindon and I were on the same laundry schedule. We kept meeting the laundry room on that same trip.

On a Princess ship I saw the an actor from Days of of Lives sitting in the row behind me. I turned around so as not to stare. I must have been to only one not trying to talk to him. He was mobbed. After the show he came over and spoke to me. He even said if I would like a photo with him just let him know. I don't remember his name but he pays Stephano DeMera.

I've been assigned a dinner table with the author of Angela's Ashes Frank McCort and his brother an actor from TV.

Aboard MSC Opera, I met Ron Swoboda (he played for the Mets) and his lovely wife as well as a number of other veteran professional baseball players and coaches - even won a baseball signed by all of them at Baseball Trivia!

Also met a former EVP of NCL and Celebrity aboard that cruise as well as the former US Ambassador to Chad and his wife at Captain's Table.

Met comedienne and current Emmy nominee Kathy Griffin aboard my first Oosterdam cruise - she was playing slots while her (now ex) husband was playing craps.

...and of course, my dear pal Scotty, who appeared on the MTV reality documentary "Gay Cruise" as well as a number of other guys who were on that show - met them aboard Oosterdam as well.

;)

Not on a ship- but we met Robert Redford in Vail one summer when our kids were in their teens [ they're over 40 now! He was a gentleman -and speaking at the Vail symposium on Ecology in the West. He was staying at the same Condo. I wouldn't let the kids get autographs -I told them this was his "Private time" - the next day after his speach we saw him coming back to the Condo- with about 100 women following him; we started laughing -and he grinned at us and waved as we passed going in the OTHER direction!

I had breakfast with Rex Burns -he wrote the "Gabe Martinez" mysteries.

At a Cancer benefit I chatted with the man from "The NEW Loveboat" who has since died of Cancer. He and his wife had just had a child "I'm going to BEAT this thing" he told me! He, too, was a true gentleman! His wife was one of the children in the 1965 "Sound of Music". We chatted mostly about loving to cruise -He'd taken his family on a Princess ship.

On the late great Crown Odyssey, Southampton to New York City, 8-90, June Allison, Esther Williams, and some other film lady was guest lecturers.

June Allison looked great; the years had not been as kind to the other two.

I got to have breakfast on the Ryndam with Copper John 10-8 once! Does that count? We enjoyed their company muchly. PENNY

Lucky, lucky you, that most definitely counts. The gentleman is most famous around the town of Torrance and the Cruise Critic HAL board. Extremely famous :D

Archived