What is the one item you can't cruise without?

bermuda triangle

Ruth, do you take along distilled water for your machine or do you get it on the boat, or just use regular boat water?

Carol, I used to have them boil some water for me, but now just use the tap water. It works fine.

(and you were right the first time. ;) )

RuthC - I was very interested in your answer because we have been ordering distilled water at $4 per gallon - at home we pay $1.50 so that is quite an increase. Tell me, did you ever notice any pink residue in your humidifier? We get that even with distilled water and the sleep apnea people said that it is bacteria and not good to breathe in. We clean the equipment regularly so there shouldn't be any.

Anyway, that is why we hve been ordering distilled water from HAL before we go as they said it was the purest form of bottled water. sure would like to use the tap water if we could.

another thought - wouldn't the hot water on the Lido deck be held at the boiling point for tea? that should be safe to use. We did wonder about the salt content in the water.

Juanita, I've never seen any residue in my humidifier. I would expect on the shorter trips there would be even less of a chance of a problem; I take medium-longish trips.

As far as I'm concerned the hot water for tea isn't hot enough for tea; I want it at a full rolling boil for that! When I first got the CPAP I was told that water boiled for 20 minutes was as good as distilled, so that's why I used to have HAL boil some up for me. When I learned how the tap water is processed I decided that was good enough. So far---so good.

The water you get out of the tap is disilled water. That's where the ship gets it's water. They distill their own from sea water.

The prefered method of potable water production for cruise ships is reverse osmosis. Distillation consumes alot of energy. They will also "bunker" water from shore and chemically treat it. This is usually a very expensive alternative, particularly in the Caribbean.

In summary, you can never be sure what you are getting from the tap. Not to say it is unsafe, just that you never know the source.

The friend I travel with most of the time and I have an ongoing discussion about this very thing when we have that last-minute packing panic and fear that we've forgotten something.

In reality, you need only three things (possibly two of you're lucky):

1) Prescription medications and other medical supplies you need (this is the one some people may be lucky enough not to require

2) Credit card

3) Travel documents and i.d.

All other things you could actually obtain while on your trip (clothing, toothbrush, etc).

But other than the literal, tangible things that I need, the one thing I can't travel without is an attitude of openness, flexibility, and gratitude that I'm having this wonderful adventure. If something goes wrong, I usually figure it's an "opportunity" to step outside my comfort zone. If I get lost, I'll see something I might not otherwise have seen.

For us, anything that matters in in CARRY-ON luggage....

Including... Meds, ID, Credit Cards, any printed email exchanges with tour providers, a map, 1 change of casual clothes and most importantly.... BATHING SUIT! (Tops being optional) ;)

Archived